S01.E08: Chapter Eight: Know Your Truth 2018.05.13

2 hours ago, grawlix said:

Being shot by someone at that angle gave the police a reason to believe that it was the Bolivians responsible for the hit.  It refers to the established fact that all Bolivians are very short in the "Barry" world.  Also distance wise, it would make more sense for Barry to use a handgun when saving Fuches.

So it was Barry being clever. Interesting. Most shows would belabor that point more. One reason why I am liking this one is that it doesn't.

Share Post

13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes.
Janice may have been a good detective with a necessary degree of skill with a gun, but Barry was a really good hitman. I'm sure that gun was suspended in such a way that it would effortlessly (for Barry) slide into his hand in the precisely perfect position to be fired instantaneously with his unerring, reflexive aim.
I'm not sure (7" wide screen), but I think the gun was suspended at the same height his hands would be when held in the air at her request. And Janice would be expecting Barry to reach for an object on his person—not on a tree trunk.

Barry has been shown to be an extremely competent hit man, but everything he's done (prior to this episode) struck me as being plausible in real life.

Planting a gun in a tree in the perfect position to fire at someone, when you don't even know where the person is going to be standing (just the general direction they'll probably be coming from) strikes me more as something from a comic book. YMMV.

Share Post

2 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Barry has been shown to be an extremely competent hit man, but everything he's done (prior to this episode) struck me as being plausible in real life.

Planting a gun in a tree in the perfect position to fire at someone, when you don't even know where the person is going to be standing (just the general direction they'll probably be coming from) strikes me more as something from a comic book. YMMV.

Or maybe from a dream? (still keeping my mind open to that possibility, however unlikely)

Share Post

7 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Why would he not know that? He planted the gun in anticipation of Janice taking him into custody, and when that happened what else would she do except march him directly back up toward the house? It's not like she might take him into the woods instead, or tell him to go back to the house but not follow him closely to make sure he goes.

Edited by Dev F.

Share Post

On 5/14/2018 at 10:40 AM, Blakeston said:

That said, if the scenes at Gene's country house were real, I have a hard time believing that Barry would be able to take down the cop. What could he have done, reached for a hidden gun? She would have blown him away before he had a chance. It's not like she was a shaky civilian who didn't know her way around a weapon.

I assume Barry jumped behind the tree for cover (while she was in the open) and fired from behind the tree.  Probably totally took her by surprise.

Share Post

I love this show! It does however take a lot of suspension of disbelief to enjoy it. Why would Janet not just wait until she got home to check Facebook? Why didn't Barry have a decent back story ready to account for the hit man monologue? Why didn't he delete his Facebook account once he decided to stick around? Why does Gene have a mountain cabin when he is so worried about the students paying cash and paying for cancelled classes? It's best to just enjoy the ride and not think too much about it because the ride is pretty fun. Glad Noho Hank and Fuches made it. Looking forward to seeing those guys again.

It is getting harder to find Barry sympathetic as he is now killing to not get caught. You could argue that by killing Chris he saved Chris's wife and kid but with Janice, it was just to save his ass with no regard for poor Gene. That seemed particularly cruel. I can't imagine a homicide detective being shot to death or even just disappearing is going to be overlooked or go unsolved. Maybe they'll pin it on Gene. Every Dateline episode it's usually the boyfriend or husband.

Share Post

Dammit Janice, why did you have to go down to the lake to look at your laptop, could you not just find a quiet corner of the house to check Facebook?! 

The dinner scene with Barry trying to read Janice's reaction but not get caught looking at her, and Janice trying to play it off, and Barry's eyes showing the exact moment he knew that she knew and the jig was up was awesome. 

I almost wish shows like this would only be one season, because I feel kind of complete with it, and it will most likely only get preposterous next season as Barry continues to elude the law. 

Share Post

50 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

The dinner scene with Barry trying to read Janice's reaction but not get caught looking at her, and Janice trying to play it off, and Barry's eyes showing the exact moment he knew that she knew and the jig was up was awesome

Yes. Real life drama classes would do well to show this clip as an example of when the writing, acting, directing, and filming (and lighting and all that other stuff) come together perfectly.

54 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

I almost wish shows like this would only be one season, because I feel kind of complete with it, and it will most likely only get preposterous next season as Barry continues to elude the law. 

I'm glad you said "almost," @TVbitch, because I still have faith in this show to be done right just like Breaking Bad was.

Share Post

On 5/14/2018 at 6:06 AM, 100Proof said:

I must've missed where Fonzie had acquired some nest egg as a child star or something to afford that big california country house.

On 5/14/2018 at 7:11 AM, MrWhyt said:

I don't recall the show ever saying he didn't have money. He may be reduced to auditioning for "guy in line" and running a acting class but it doesn't mean that he didn't once have an actual acting career.

It would actually make a lot of sense if he has a bunch of money (either from acting residuals or through his family) because it would explain how he can keep not booking any of the acting jobs we've seen him audition for and somehow be financially comfortable with just the income from teaching this ONE drama class.

If you get a role on a series that gets syndicated, it can set you up pretty well. Mila Kunis said that she made so much money from That 70s Show (which wrapped when she was only 22) that afterward she could afford to be very picky about what projects she wanted to do. If you don't blow all your money MC Hammer style then you can live off of that income very comfortably for the rest of your life.

Share Post

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It would actually make a lot of sense if he has a bunch of money (either from acting residuals or through his family) because it would explain how he can keep not booking any of the acting jobs we've seen him audition for and somehow be financially comfortable with just the income from teaching this ONE drama class.

If you get a role on a series that gets syndicated, it can set you up pretty well. Mila Kunis said that she made so much money from That 70s Show (which wrapped when she was only 22) that afterward she could afford to be very picky about what projects she wanted to do. If you don't blow all your money MC Hammer style then you can live off of that income very comfortably for the rest of your life.

Seeing Cousineau's million dollar home for the first time in that scene contributed to the sense of it all being a dream to me, much like that scene of Mr. Robot in which Elliot and his family were seen on a 1950s road trip, which turned out to be the fantasy/psychotic break Elliot was experiencing while he was being mercilessly beaten. Barry's fantasies are also motivated by violence, although not physical violence endured by himself.

But for me (and likely others) Cousineau's expensive digs seemed unreal primarily because Cousineau was so adamant that everyone must pay (cash, I think) for the class meeting in the scene in the early episode when the class was being called off for the day due to the death of classmate Ryan Madison. IIRC, there was another scene later in the series when Cousineau also made a point of students needing to pay him even if they missed most of a class. Those bits of dialogue, plus Cousineau having to audition for a bit part that he might not even get, added up to the conclusion that his luxurious home was a fantasy of Barry's imagination—perhaps also representing a home actors Barry and Sally would some day own. 

But then, it is revealed to be a real home. So Cousineau might be just barely able to maintain his lifestyle, or perhaps he is just still in the habit of being careful with money having spent his formative years on the edge of hunger, and/or reminding students that they must pay for acting classes could be a method of keeping them from becoming too friendly and encroaching on his life.

Share Post

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Seeing Cousineau's million dollar home for the first time in that scene contributed to the sense of it all being a dream to me, much like that scene of Mr. Robot in which Elliot and his family were seen on a 1950s road trip, which turned out to be the fantasy/psychotic break Elliot was experiencing while he was being mercilessly beaten. Barry's fantasies are also motivated by violence, although not physical violence endured by himself.

But for me (and likely others) Cousineau's expensive digs seemed unreal primarily because Cousineau was so adamant that everyone must pay (cash, I think) for the class meeting in the scene in the early episode when the class was being called off for the day due to the death of classmate Ryan Madison. IIRC, there was another scene later in the series when Cousineau also made a point of students needing to pay him even if they missed most of a class. Those bits of dialogue, plus Cousineau having to audition for a bit part that he might not even get, added up to the conclusion that his luxurious home was a fantasy of Barry's imagination—perhaps also representing a home actors Barry and Sally would some day own. 

But then, it is revealed to be a real home. So Cousineau might be just barely able to maintain his lifestyle, or perhaps he is just still in the habit of being careful with money having spent his formative years on the edge of hunger, and/or reminding students that they must pay for acting classes could be a method of keeping them from becoming too friendly and encroaching on his life.

If you're good at something never do it for free.

Share Post

12 minutes ago, MrWhyt said:

If you're good at something never do it for free.

Sure, but are we supposed to think Cousineau is good at teaching acting?
Or, @MrWhyt, did you just mean the Cousineau thinks he's a good acting teacher?

Share Post

Oh he thinks he is a great acting teacher, and know what, he isn't. But, it is so frigging funny. Well, maybe it all was a fantasy, could be, the killing, the dream house, I kinda hope so because I adored that lady cop. But, folks, I DON'T THINK SO....that big ole Barry, he is really really good at killing.  Very good theory though guys. 

Share Post

I think the house is a minor detail.

Most TV characters live in much better digs than they're suppose to be able to afford.

Monica's apartment in Friends is worth tens of millions, not some apartment that a struggling chef can afford.

They need places with big rooms, to have enough room for crew and to light it up brightly.  They could have constructed some modest cabin on stage, which would be claustrophobic for 4 adults.

But they wanted the nice, peaceful locale as a setting, before Barry commits another morally-expensive killing.

Share Post

1 hour ago, scrb said:

Most TV characters live in much better digs than they're suppose to be able to afford.

Monica's apartment in Friends is worth tens of millions, not some apartment that a struggling chef can afford.

But at least they explained that on the show - her great aunt or some other older relative had a rent controlled apartment and let her live there.

Share Post

How do we know it's a million dollar home?

It could be way up in the Sierra, away from cities, so those homes aren't necessarily that valuable, no matter how beautiful the locale.

It might be far away from LA, so in that case, it would be inconvenient to get up there.

In LA itself, a million dollar maybe buys you a 1000 square foot condo but a million dollar would buy you a palace in neighboring Arizona or Nevada.

Or in a more remote mountain cabin, it might take only a couple of hundred thousand if that.

If you watch House Hunters, there's been episodes based on places like Lake Tahoe or in small New England towns and the places they showed weren't that expensive.

Share Post

Yep you are right my friend...he is living off his book and old t.v. shows....can afford a place far away. 

Share Post

Some well-off people are cheap because it helps them remain well-off.

Share Post

6 hours ago, scrb said:

How do we know it's a million dollar home?

It could be way up in the Sierra, away from cities, so those homes aren't necessarily that valuable, no matter how beautiful the locale.

It might be far away from LA, so in that case, it would be inconvenient to get up there.

In LA itself, a million dollar maybe buys you a 1000 square foot condo but a million dollar would buy you a palace in neighboring Arizona or Nevada.

Or in a more remote mountain cabin, it might take only a couple of hundred thousand if that.

True. And that fits with no neighbors to hear a gunshot. Definitely Occam's razor.

And this can still be true too:

4 hours ago, Portia said:

Some well-off people are cheap because it helps them remain well-off.

Share Post

On 5/14/2018 at 1:23 PM, hendersonrocks said:

My take: Barry clearly picked up on her interest in his stage name over dinner and was tracking her from then on to see how she was going to follow up on it. He went to bed but basically stayed attuned to her doings so when she left the house he followed her to the dock, and hung his gun on the tree in case he needed it before confronting her. (It surprises me zero that he would have had one hidden in the car.)

I agree with you that that what happened. I just find it hard to believe that an experienced police officer, knowing what she knew, while seeing Barry reached for the weapon, did not immediately pull the trigger and sent 5 to 6 rounds center-mass.

Share Post

7 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:

I agree with you that that what happened. I just find it hard to believe that an experienced police officer, knowing what she knew, while seeing Barry reached for the weapon, did not immediately pull the trigger and sent 5 to 6 rounds center-mass.

I don't think he had to visibly reach for the gun. Recall his hands were in the air at her command—or so she thought; IIRC, Barry took control of where his hands should be expected to be by reassuring her that he had them up, which also served to have his hand in a reaching position for when he walked backwards, past the tree, until the gun was in front of his hand.

Share Post

On 2018/05/23 at 5:09 AM, TVbitch said:

I almost wish shows like this would only be one season, because I feel kind of complete with it, and it will most likely only get preposterous next season as Barry continues to elude the law

Same. I feel like this is a premise for an  excellent mini-series, not a multi-season show. Trying to drag it out while keeping all the actors employed - I expect Janice to somehow survive, for example - is how these things almost always, imho, go to ruin.

I'd be more interested in a NoHo Hank spin-off in any case. What a wonderful, special character he is!

Share Post

I know I am late to the party but here are my two cents. I don’t think it was a dream only because I don’t recall Barry knowing that Janice and Cousineau were even a couple, so he wouldn’t be dreaming about spending a weekend with them. I think the time jump is a few years and likely Cousineau is making big bucks by being Barry’s agent or producing those plays Barry is in. It seems Barry and Sally are successful actors. Barry obviously can’t do tv or movies because the exposure would be too dangerous. 

I very much want my own NoHo Hank, without the criminal activities, as a friend. 

I totally thought Barry was going to go after Sally’s ex-husband for beating her up. I don’t like Sally, and I feel awful saying it, but Barry can do better. Maybe a hitwoman who wants to be an actress. I don’t find anything likeable about Sally but the actress playing her does a phenomenal job. 

Share Post