S29.E20: Throw Grampa from the Dane 2018.05.13

After receiving an insurance payout, the Simpsons go to Denmark, so Grampa can benefit from the country's free healthcare.

Share Post

Intro: Sideshow Mel on a GIANT unicycle

Couch Gag: Everyone is being printed, Homer caught in a paper jam.

Wow, this time it was Marge's fault something happened to the house. Loved seeing the Olmec head floating around, and outside. And Bender, too.

I liked how the LEGO airplane was half-built. Well, we've seen worse excuses to go somewhere, and I liked seeing Denmark. We get it, it's awesome, but did they have to stop the show to sing the anthem? Okay, I laughed at "Fart Kontrol," and I actually laughed at Marge trying to pronounce Danish things.

"We have to get home to America, the greatest country on Earth, 1917-2016." Of course Homer would be so out of touch in Denmark, and I liked seeing him not keeping up with the dancing. Of course Denmark is too tiny and dark, so that was a handy press of the reset button.

So Abe's whole operation was a laser tattoo removal? And it was a tattoo for Mona? That's actually cold, and you have to wonder why he never had it removed sooner. Or appear sooner, for that matter.

Remember when these travel episodes used to be funnier?

Share Post

3 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Sure do.  This was a decent episode, there were some humorous parts but it wasn't overall as funny as episodes of yore.

Loved seeing the Olmec head floating around, and outside. And Bender, too.

I liked that both made an appearance.

Dr. Nick (to Abe): "Hi Medicare. I mean Hi Everybody !"

Bleeders Sinai Medical Center.  Ha !!

Abe: "Hands off ! I need professional help"
Homer: "Not to worry. This is the United States. We have the 3rd best health care system in North America."

Abe: "I can't go to Denmark by myself.  I get lost in the middle of a sentence and that was the best pie I ever had."

I liked how the LEGO airplane was half-built.

And that Minifigs were servicing it.

Soren Airlines -- "Fly Existential Desp-air "
How often do we get Kierkegaard references in this show ?

Homer's crossword puzzle on the plane:
-- 2 Across -- Man's Best friend.  Homer answered 'CAT'
-- 4 Across -- Letters in the work "words"
-- 6 Across -- Don't run

Book Homer was reading -- Ripping off the Danish Health Care System by Dane Crook.

Lisa (after dreaming about Ninja Bart stopping an assassin trying to kill her as the future queen of Denmark): "Bart, get out of my fantasy."
Bart: "Aw geez, I saved your life, how about a you're welcome."

Danish man carrying a bag (after running into Homer): "Excuse me white trash."
Homer (to Marge): "Is this the kind of country you want to live in ?"
Danish man carrying a bag : "No sir, I meant we separate our trash by color."

Homer: "How could my family want to stay here ? In America we have great TV channels like BBC America, and a factory for cheescakes.  A Factory ! "
Danish Guide: "You enthusiasm makes me want to follow you there."
Homer: "Foreigners are no longer welcome."

An ice-cream store called Häagen-Death -- which is funny since Häagen-Dazs is a made up brand name that isn't even Danish, but supposed to sound Danish to American consumers.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver.

Share Post

1 minute ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

And that Minifigs were servicing it.

Also, Denmark has both LEGO and a Blockoland.

Share Post

11 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Not really.  I remember travel episodes always being pretty weak.  This one rankled me too.  I'm so tired of hearing about Denmark and Norway.  I should leave it at that because if I go on any further it'll turn into a big political rant.

Share Post

10 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Lisa (after dreaming about Ninja Bart stopping an assassin trying to kill her as the future queen of Denmark): "Bart, get out of my fantasy."

That joke would've played soooo much better if it was Milhouse targeting Lisa's husband.

Share Post

12 hours ago, AAEBoiler said:

That joke would've played soooo much better if it was Milhouse targeting Lisa's husband.

Especially since Milhouse was established to be part Danish.

12 hours ago, RayAdverb said:

Not really.  I remember travel episodes always being pretty weak.  This one rankled me too.  I'm so tired of hearing about Denmark and Norway.  I should leave it at that because if I go on any further it'll turn into a big political rant.

The only good ones to me were the Australia and NYC ones. Tokyo and the first Brazil ones were fine, but not as good.

Share Post

On 5/13/2018 at 6:30 PM, Galileo908 said:

Okay, I laughed at "Fart Kontrol,"

Even Lisa laughed!

Share Post