Season Two : All Episodes Talk

anyone else still watching this? i'm surprised it was renewed. not that i don't like it but it doesn't seem to be what people want to watch. i remember the 70's so i love stuff like this.

hard to really love any of the characters. what is going on with the girl in the mental hospital? why did her mom put her there and how did she wind up in jail. lot of jail themes going on.

i don't think the boyfriend of the blonde who is going places is funny. sorry, i can't remember anyone's names. i guess that goes to show how hard it is to get invested. still watching though. anyone else?

Share Post

I'm glad this thread appeared, because I totally didn't know the show was back already. (Possibly because Showtime is doing the worst job ever promoting it?)

I think it's a great show and am looking forward to watching S2E1.

Edited by Milburn Stone.

Share Post

On 5/10/2018 at 12:22 PM, msrachelj said:

anyone else still watching this? i'm surprised it was renewed. not that i don't like it but it doesn't seem to be what people want to watch. i remember the 70's so i love stuff like this.

hard to really love any of the characters. what is going on with the girl in the mental hospital? why did her mom put her there and how did she wind up in jail. lot of jail themes going on.

i don't think the boyfriend of the blonde who is going places is funny. sorry, i can't remember anyone's names. i guess that goes to show how hard it is to get invested. still watching though. anyone else?

I think the biggest problem with the show is that often the stand up is not all that funny. The camaraderie between the comedians and Melissa Leo are awesome, but it is hard to believe that these are the best comedian in LA. When that guy was reading his "My mother is so bad" jokes from his notebook, I thought Brad Garrett's character was going to say they were not funny, not try to take them for his act.

I really did not like the extra pull of Cassie having a son she abandoned with her cousin/sister. I really just want to see about struggling comedians and this felt very soap opera. It explains why she feels so guilty leaving Wink, a place she really does not have a connection with. Also, did not really care about the brat daughter who treats her mother like shit for having the nerve to make a good living after their father abandoned them broke and penniless and then turns around and treats the father like gold. I really hope this is the last we see of the addict daughter storyline since I doubt this show will get a third season since no one seems to care. The Soul Train part was pretty good, but I am going to need Ron to stop acting like a horny teenager and more like a human being. I am guessing he will lose all of his money and his character will probably be written off if

Spoiler

he develops some sort of drug habit. It will probably be a lesson in the fleeting nature of fame and fortune in show business.

On 5/10/2018 at 1:02 PM, Milburn Stone said:

I'm glad this thread appeared, because I totally didn't know the show was back already. (Possibly because Showtime is doing the worst job ever promoting it?)

I think it's a great show and am looking forward to watching S2E1.

The show is not perfect, but the potential is there. It is crazy when far worse shows are in their sixth season and no one even seems to know that this exists.

Share Post

4 hours ago, qtpye said:

I think the biggest problem with the show is that often the stand up is not all that funny. The camaraderie between the comedians and Melissa Leo are awesome, but it is hard to believe that these are the best comedian in LA. When that guy was reading his "My mother is so bad" jokes from his notebook, I thought Brad Garrett's character was going to say they were not funny, not try to take them for his act.

Yeah, that was a shock when he wanted to buy anything!

4 hours ago, qtpye said:

I really did not like the extra pull of Cassie having a son she abandoned with her cousin/sister.

It was so obvious that's who the kid was, but it still was ridiculous when she got all sad that she wasn't even considered as the legal guardian should his parents died. I mean...it's not exactly a personal insult. You have a job where you're at work at 4AM at a bar and sleep during the day. Nobody is going to consider you as a guardian for their children no matter how nice you are.

Wow, that guy the daughter brought home to annoy her mother was annoying. Though I get where the daughter's coming from--she's got a really successful mother with a strong personality and it seems like these are the only ways she can compete with her. Doesn't mean I want to watch it her petty attacks on her, though. 

Share Post

1 hour ago, sistermagpie said:

Wow, that guy the daughter brought home to annoy her mother was annoying. Though I get where the daughter's coming from--she's got a really successful mother with a strong personality and it seems like these are the only ways she can compete with her. Doesn't mean I want to watch it her petty attacks on her, though. 

Yeah, wait till she goes to her deadbeat father who will probably just steal the $1000 and make her beg her mother for more money.

Share Post

God is it possible that this year's episodes are worse than last year. I am not sure if I can take much more of this one.  I only watch it because I am a big Leo fan. Everyone is so nasty. 

Share Post

On 5/10/2018 at 9:22 AM, msrachelj said:

I agree with you regarding the storyline of Goldies daughter (the mental hospital girl). It's so far from having any relevance to the core theme of the show. And the daughter's stupid "guru" boyfriend is just beyond ridiculous. 

I like most of the main characters on the show except the goofy looking dork guy with the glasses who makes enough money to afford an over the top home in Hollywood complete with voyueristic peep show swim tank. NO woman would have sex with that guy. Ever. Period. So unrealistic. 

But I find this series more entertaining than most of the crap on Showtime. Even so, I'm cancelling Showtime and getting Hulu. 

Edited by chenoa333.

Share Post

On 5/15/2018 at 1:47 PM, chenoa333 said:

I agree with you regarding the storyline of Goldies daughter (the mental hospital girl). It's so far from having any relevance to the core theme of the show. And the daughter's stupid "guru" boyfriend is just beyond ridiculous. 

I like most of the main characters on the show except the goofy looking dork guy with the glasses who makes enough money to afford an over the top home in Hollywood complete with voyueristic peep show swim tank. NO woman would have sex with that guy. Ever. Period. So unrealistic. 

But I find this series more entertaining than most of the crap on Showtime. Even so, I'm cancelling Showtime and getting Hulu. 

I was through with the daughter when she is being such a bitch to Goldie, who raised her and gave her a financially secure life from nothing, but is good friends with the father who abandoned them and put Goldie in that situation in the first place. I remember from last season when the father slapped Goldie in the face for "messing up his spot", so add physical abuse to this loser's list endearing qualities for father of the year.

Share Post

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Goldie's ex husband. Yipes, he was a total creep.  I agree with you about that daughter, she is worthless in my book.

Share Post

What did Cassie say to Nick when he sat with her at the wedding after finding out the the boy was really her son?  I couldn't make it out.

This was a really good episode.  Both Cassie and Goldie were excellent in dealing with "motherhood."

Share Post

This show has very unlikable characters. I like Adam and the young guy Cassie is with now, Ralph and that's it.

Bill? is a downer and ugh.  I guess being vested in this show would entail learning the characters' names.

Cindy Chupak is a good writer but I don't know where this show can go.

Share Post

5 hours ago, chabelisaywow said:

This show has very unlikable characters. I like Adam and the young guy Cassie is with now, Ralph and that's it.

Bill? is a downer and ugh.  I guess being vested in this show would entail learning the characters' names.

Cindy Chupak is a good writer but I don't know where this show can go.

I think if all the show's characters were happy in their lives they would be more likable but that's the point of the show.  These are starving comics looking to make it big but most of them do not.  I agree that many of them are cringe-worthy at times but their struggles make them more interesting.  Even Goldie, who is at the top of the food chain, has her own issues.  She drinks and smokes all day and has to deal with whiners like Bill.  

I am really enjoying this season.  The show has done a great job of character development.

Share Post

I actually really like the show but am keeping it at arm's length since I figure there is absolutely no way in hell it gets renewed for a third season. It was surprising enough that it made it to S2. 

Agree with the liking Adam (LOVE him, can't believe he was a power ranger), Eddie (Michael Angarano can do no wrong by me) and the amazing Erik Griffin whom I fear, after this last episode, may be a casualty (with likelihood of no S3, the gloves are off so to speak). 

I am also very intrigued by a bit player (at this part ... don't know if she'll factor later), Alvira, Dawn's girlfriend. There is something about her face that I just find so expressive. 

I just finished reading the book (non-fiction) upon which the series is semi-loosely based (I mean, it's strongly based right down to the title but there are liberties taken with some of the characters, while others are very recognizable). Maybe the biggest liberty taken is with "Goldie's" ex-husband who, by all rights according to the book, was (or is, because I believe he is still alive) a great guy and totally supportive of her ... he founded The Comedy Store but handed it over to her, partly because he was touring a lot as the regular opening act for Elvis Presley in Vegas. (His name is Sammy Shore ... her son is Pauly Shore, but he's not depicted in this series, obviously). 

Share Post

this is one of the few shows on my dvr that I watch right away, while others drift down toward the bottom of the list. Don't know why its so unpopular. I'm very invested in the characters, even the (many) unlikable ones. Even though I detest the cheating story line, my heart still bled for blonde girlfriend (I'm terrible at names) when she was clearly going to bomb her interview for SNL following being outed as a cheater. Yet another opportunity for her to get ahead snatched away from her. This time a disaster of her own making. Also enjoying Clark Duke's story of achieving TV success as a punchline rather than for his stand-up. 

Likely it will not be renewed so I hope they wrap it up sufficiently.

Share Post

6 hours ago, BonnieD said:

this is one of the few shows on my dvr that I watch right away, while others drift down toward the bottom of the list. Don't know why its so unpopular. I'm very invested in the characters, even the (many) unlikable ones. Even though I detest the cheating story line, my heart still bled for blonde girlfriend (I'm terrible at names) when she was clearly going to bomb her interview for SNL following being outed as a cheater. Yet another opportunity for her to get ahead snatched away from her. This time a disaster of her own making. Also enjoying Clark Duke's story of achieving TV success as a punchline rather than for his stand-up. 

Likely it will not be renewed so I hope they wrap it up sufficiently.

I like that this show pulls no punches about how hard it is to get ahead in the comedy game. The cast is outstanding and Melissa Leo is a treasure. However, what is wrong with Cassie...does she just want to blow up everything good in her life? I am a little sick of Goldie's issues with her daughter and it always being her downfall. Okay, you raised a brat who does not like you....it hurts like hell (I'm a mother myself), but it does not lower all your other life accomplishments. With all that is going on, I do not think the molestation storyline was needed as we already have a full plate of tragedy (we get it...comics are broken and sad people). I actually am kind of waiting for the rise and fall of the Benny the Mailman character. It reminds me of a lot of B-rate characters who found success on 70's TV, only to end of broke and forgotten by the end of the decade. I am just like you...this is my first watch on Sunday...maybe because I know it will end soon.

Share Post

33 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I actually am kind of waiting for the rise and fall of the Benny the Mailman character. It reminds me of a lot of B-rate characters who found success on 70's TV, only to end of broke and forgotten by the end of the decade. I am just like you...this is my first watch on Sunday...maybe because I know it will end soon.

One of the things I consistently love on the show is Dylan Baker's Johnny Carson. He's so effortlessly authoritative and scary without being a character that's supposed to be scary like a villain or a violent person.

Edited by sistermagpie.

Share Post

2 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

One of the things I consistently love on the show is Dylan Baker's Johnny Carson. He's so effortless authoritative and scary without being a character that's supposed to be scary like a villain or a violent person.

Yes, Johnny supposedly could be your best friend or your worst nightmare, but he was not some sort of megalomaniac. It is pretty well done and I wish this show would get more love.

Share Post

Dylan Baker is one of the best character actors out there, he is in everything everywhere. I don't know how he is doing it,  but I agree he is pulling it off as Carson.  

Share Post

I am not the world's biggest Cassie fan but I love the girl-buddy chemistry between her and Dawn and would totally be down for a spin-off of the two of them! Xosha Roquemore is a revelation (and just read that her real-life partner is LaKeith Stanfield, who is one of my absolute favorite actors ... that's a lot of talent in one household!)

ETA: I might be wrong on this but am pretty sure this is correct ... looking at Xosha Roquemore's IMDB, she's listed as having played "Actress # 3" in "Disaster Artist" ... My guess (I can't find the clip of this montage) based on my memory of the film is that she was one of the actresses auditioning to play Lisa, the role that went to Juliette Danielle, who is played in "Disaster Artist" by Ari Graynor. 

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap.

Share Post

2 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I am not the world's biggest Cassie fan but I love the girl-buddy chemistry between her and Dawn and would totally be down for a spin-off of the two of them! Xosha Roquemore is a revelation (and just read that her real-life partner is LaKeith Stanfield, who is one of my absolute favorite actors ... that's a lot of talent in one household!)

Yes, one of the show's high points is that the cast has excellent chemistry and Dawn has been a fantastic new addition. I am sort of sick of Ron's self destructive arc. I know we are supposed to feel a little sorry for creative types who are stifled, but he is making so much money and non creative people have to suck it up and go do their jobs for much less until something better comes along.

Share Post

I understand the need for realism - but maybe my disappointment in the show had to do with, "there is already so much to be depressed about - can't this show have a little happiness?!"

Thank you, Cindy Chupak for a little bit less of the downer in the latest episode.

Cassie is still not one of my favorites - especially after telling Goldie about Jessie.  She just comes across as very needy.

I loved that Adam stuck up for (still can't remember his name) Angarano's character - telling Cassie not to try and talk to him at that time.

Saw a bit more humanity in the Nick's character - he did stand up for the young boy in Tempe and standing up to the uncle.  Don't forgive, but understand why he cheated with Cassie and the drug use.

Bill. Still don't like Bill, but whatever. LOL every show needs a downer, I suppose - well he did get Nick to Tempe.

Still like Adam and Ralph - hope their show works out.

Goldie hopefully got through to her bratty daughter.

Edgar still is a character that has little development - but Al Madrigal is the reason I watch this show. (GO CATS '89) lol.

Absolutely love how the episode ended in the closet. 

Share Post

God, this show makes me want to do drugs.

You never know how the execs work - I can't see how this show will survive. I hope at least they don't leave us hanging.

I'm not a Lebron fan at all, but I hated how Survivor's Remorse was yanked off of the STARS schedule.

Share Post

Since Goldie does not pay any of her comics what do these guys do to pay the bills?  I only saw Eddie and his friend (nope can't remember all the names) and Ralph with steady work.  Things must've been dirt cheap back then.  That mic has some hold on people.  I saw a special on Reelz about Robin Williams that even at his peak he still did standup at this little club and even paid their bills to keep it open.

Really not a fan of Goldie as basically she is just using these comics and then bans them from going to other clubs like she is some comedy Don.  Her daughter set her straight about being raised at the club and Mom not having a clue what happened there.   Knowing the fucked up individuals there she leaves her young daughter to these people?  Way to go.  Dad by far is no better but sheesh drop the poor single mom schtick.  After awhile she had money to afford a babysitter.  Cassie can take several seats too.  Be very glad you had someone to raise your kid.  And you are not even funny.

Rant done

Share Post

The issue about paying the comics or not is based on the true story of the real-life Goldie/Comedy Store and is covered in detail in the book "I'm Dying Up Here." The comics actually went on strike for quite a while (hope that's not a spoiler ... wonder if it's something they'll cover in a future episode ... how many are left?) and there was big rivalry between CS and Improv ... The "Santa Monica" club is also taken from true life where she opened up that second club as are the differences between who got paid what and where.

mytmo, I also JUST saw that Reelz story on Robin Williams ... for some reason, my TV defaults to that channel so I'm now caught up on lots of "true story" documentaries!

Share Post

2 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

The issue about paying the comics or not is based on the true story of the real-life Goldie/Comedy Store and is covered in detail in the book "I'm Dying Up Here." The comics actually went on strike for quite a while (hope that's not a spoiler ... wonder if it's something they'll cover in a future episode ... how many are left?) and there was big rivalry between CS and Improv ... The "Santa Monica" club is also taken from true life where she opened up that second club as are the differences between who got paid what and where.

mytmo, I also JUST saw that Reelz story on Robin Williams ... for some reason, my TV defaults to that channel so I'm now caught up on lots of "true story" documentaries!

Thanks.  I was wondering which comedy club this was based on.  

I thought Robin Williams is one of the funniest people of all time.  Was at Detroit Airport when I heard he died.  I go to Reelz for the autopsies but stay for the behind the scenes stories

Edited by mytmo.

Share Post

Yes ... Comedy Store is the basis for this. If you like the show (I keep thinking I may be the only person who does!), definitely read the book! It's really outstanding and will not only give you some ideas of who SOME of the characters are based on, some loosely, some pretty accurately (for example, Cassie = Elayne Boosler), but will also shed a lot of light on some of the stories that were integral to the club and the period but are not being tackled in the series (David Letterman vs. Jay Leno). It's a great read!

One major departure is that in real life, Goldie/Mitzi's ex-husband was by all accounts a great guy and very supportive of her and the Store (he was the original owner but handed it over to her because he was a comedian who was, IIRC, Elvis Presley's longtime regular opening act in Las Vegas -- I think there was a bit of that backstory in Roy Martin talking about being Paul Anka's longtime opening act in Vegas, coupled with her bad guy ex Sid having originally owned the Club, right?) ... Also, in real life, she didn't have a daughter but a son, some kid named Pauly something. LOL.

Share Post

1 hour ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Yes ... Comedy Store is the basis for this. If you like the show (I keep thinking I may be the only person who does!), definitely read the book! It's really outstanding and will not only give you some ideas of who SOME of the characters are based on, some loosely, some pretty accurately (for example, Cassie = Elayne Boosler), but will also shed a lot of light on some of the stories that were integral to the club and the period but are not being tackled in the series (David Letterman vs. Jay Leno). It's a great read!

Is Ron in any way supposed to be Jimmy Walker? 

Share Post

23 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Is Ron in any way supposed to be Jimmy Walker? 

Do you mean Adam? We were wondering about that. He may be ... that probably is most likely answer  

For some reason though, since beginning of series, I had thought he was based on Franklyn Ajaye (one of my all-time favorite comedians) who was also a regular at CS but I have nothing to back that feeling up than just my first reaction. 

Share Post

4 minutes ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Do you mean Adam? We were wondering about that. He may be ... that probably is most likely answer  

For some reason though, since beginning of series, I had thought he was based on Franklyn Ajaye (one of my all-time favorite comedians) who was also a regular at CS but I have nothing to back that feeling up than just my first reaction. 

Believe it or not I did mean Ron, not Adam! Not completely, of course, since he's a white guy and nothing like Jimmy Walker, but the whole mailman "It's Benny Time" thing that angered the actors who felt the show used to deal with real problems seemed like Good Times getting swallowed by J.J. and the catch phrase "Dyn-o-mite!"

Share Post

51 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Believe it or not I did mean Ron, not Adam! Not completely, of course, since he's a white guy and nothing like Jimmy Walker, but the whole mailman "It's Benny Time" thing that angered the actors who felt the show used to deal with real problems seemed like Good Times getting swallowed by J.J. and the catch phrase "Dyn-o-mite!"

Oh man, totally my bad!!! I hadn't even thought of that but yes, it makes total sense!!!

My mind just shifted to Adam because Mr. Snappy and I had just had long convo the other night about whether he was based on Jimmie Walker or Franklyn Ajaye LOL!

I wonder who (if anyone) Eddie is based on. I adore Michael Angarano. 

Share Post