Jump to content

Season 2 Discussion

Six episodes in. Some random thoughts:

The thing I compare 3% to is the Hunger Games. It’s interesting that The Cause devoted all it’s energy to sabotaging The Process. There must be some instead people over 21 who devote their energy into improving life Inland, so that moving to the Offshore is not the only way to a more comfortable life.

I am appreciating the glimpse of life Offshore. As I suspected in Season One, the Offshore is not a Utopia, but it is better than the Inland in terms of technology, food, resources, medical care, food, and general creature comforts. Given those options, most would rather live offshore if the only thing you have to give up is the ability to have children.

For some reason Netflix Canada is dubbing this season. So far I can’t be bothered to fiddle with the language preferences. It makes the show easier to follow, but some of the dubbing is horrible. The actress voicing the head of the Offshore Guard is particularly bad.

3

Share Post


Link to post
Spoiler

Did anyone else think that the flying seed, fertilizer, etc were bombs?  Still could be right?  I guess that wouldbe war.

No need for spoiler alerts right?

by the way, dubbing is the worst.  I watch everything except live news with closed captioning, so I love the subtitles, but dubbing takes you totally out of the moment- especially if you know the actor’s voice aleady.  I feel for you

Edited by lampwick.
5

Share Post


Link to post

I just polished off season 2!

I really liked how it ended. Realistic yet hopefull. Although @lampwick's theory has merit. But if everyome insland was bombed, that would comprise the all-important Process.

Edited by marinw.
2

Share Post


Link to post

Season 2 was interesting but hard to follow, with all the quick cuts between what the various characters were doing and when the action was taking place. My husband and I binged the second season when it came out because we were fascinated with Season 1 and how things were set up for Season 2, but ultimately I was disappointed in how Season 2 played out. Part of the disappointment was that it seemed unrealistic that, with all the security in the Process building, Fernando and Joana were able to get where they needed to go without being seen. I was also confused about what location Rafael was trying to enter when Michele hit him, and how that location was related to the place Michele's brother took her to--where was the data located that need to be destroyed? Which brings up another question: since a witness came in just after Michele's brother murdered his mentor (or boss?) and presumably reported this to security and/or the council leaders, why didn't they destroy the video and other evidence of what really happened with the Founding Trio? Since their whole society was based on the Founding Couple myth and philosophy, it would have been dangerous to leave that available for anyone else who might stumble on the entrance (or notice an anomaly on a map, as I think Andre did) and figure out how to access it.  

Aside from these issues about realism, I had hoped to learn more about the Offshore, how it got started, and how it works in this season. It was good to see something of a backstory to the early days, and apparently investors paid for the development of this luxury island, including all the buildings and technologies. But how was the island and necessary services for the population maintained over time? Who kept the grounds, cleaned the homes and group facilities (I noticed the sparking white toilets in the security guards' bathroom), made and cleaned the clothes, picked and prepared the food, etc.? The only part of the 3% population that was shown working was the process staff and security; everyone else seemed to spend all their time in leisure pursuits. There was no indication that they brought over inland people to do the menial labor, and it wouldn't make sense for them to do that anyway if they wanted to keep the Offshore as a mystery.

I was also disappointed in the ending. I never liked Michele much, and it seemed like she screwed the Cause members so she could become a hero (new founder) of a new world. Even assuming she gets Fernando and others to work with her, it would take many years to build anything where inland people could live, and meanwhile the inland people will continue to believe in the Process and the Offshore as the ultimate goals--and lives will be destroyed as a result. 

If they have a Season 3, I hope they address some of these issues.  

6

Share Post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Paloma said:

Season 2 was interesting but hard to follow, with all the quick cuts between what the various characters were doing and when the action was taking place. My husband and I binged the second season when it came out because we were fascinated with Season 1 and how things were set up for Season 2, but ultimately I was disappointed in how Season 2 played out. Part of the disappointment was that it seemed unrealistic that, with all the security in the Process building, Fernando and Joana were able to get where they needed to go without being seen. I was also confused about what location Rafael was trying to enter when Michele hit him, and how that location was related to the place Michele's brother took her to--where was the data located that need to be destroyed? Which brings up another question: since a witness came in just after Michele's brother murdered his mentor (or boss?) and presumably reported this to security and/or the council leaders, why didn't they destroy the video and other evidence of what really happened with the Founding Trio? Since their whole society was based on the Founding Couple myth and philosophy, it would have been dangerous to leave that available for anyone else who might stumble on the entrance (or notice an anomaly on a map, as I think Andre did) and figure out how to access it.  

Fernando basically got lucky - he was on the security screens rolling down a hallway, but Marcela was distracted at the time, so he got away with it!  They must not have a camera at the power station that he disabled (poor fore-sight on that one).  And Joana was hiding in the air ducts for a good portion of that until the power was cut!

Rafael was trying to get into the database room on the Offshore where all the registration information was kept.  Michele was involved with the Process this year, which is why she had access and he didn't.  It wasn't anywhere near that communications bunker that Andre had brought her too.  She had overheard Joana and Rafael communicating about the plan, which is why she left to go intercept Rafael.

2

Share Post


Link to post

 3 episodes in - is it just me or does anyone else sense a romantic spark between Ezequiel and Michele? 

 

Also interesting to see the role religion plays, acting as a source of "truth"/propaganda, influencing people  to compete in the Process

Edited by Hope.
0

Share Post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Hope said:

 3 episodes in - is it just me or does anyone else sense a romantic spark between Ezequiel and Michele? 

I find their interactions creepy myself.

Edited by marinw.
3

Share Post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Hope said:

3 episodes in - is it just me or does anyone else sense a romantic spark between Ezequiel and Michele? 

I think Ezequiel sees Michele as someone with the potential for him to mold (into what is not clear yet) and as almost a daughter figure, and Michele sees him as the only way to see her brother. But I didn't get any sense of romantic feeling on either side. 

1

Share Post


Link to post

Just finished season 2. LOVED it! 

The Fernando-Joana team-up was so fun. I like the chemistry between Vaneza Olivera and Michel Gomes. I also really enjoyed Rafael this season. If we get a season 3, I'd love to know how he was recruited into The Cause. He seemed super dedicated to it and said he'd sacrificed his family members to be part of it. I think there's an interesting backstory there.

Michele still annoys me. She is so damn whiny. A lot of characters on this show act selfishly, but her selfishness annoys me the most. 

Can't believe I'm saying this, but RIP, Ezequiel. I adored Joao Miguel's performance, even though Ezequiel could be awful and cruel. I didn't see the twist of him secretly helping The Cause coming.

Also can't believe they resurrected Marco. I thought he was dead for sure. Rafael Lozano is way too good at the crazy-eyed stare.

Surprisingly, I was able to keep track of all the intertwining flashbacks. Loved the background we got on the Founding Trio. 

I hope this show gets a third season.

Edited by Gillian Rosh.
4

Share Post


Link to post
On 5/2/2018 at 8:36 AM, Paloma said:

Aside from these issues about realism, I had hoped to learn more about the Offshore, how it got started, and how it works in this season. It was good to see something of a backstory to the early days, and apparently investors paid for the development of this luxury island, including all the buildings and technologies. But how was the island and necessary services for the population maintained over time? Who kept the grounds, cleaned the homes and group facilities (I noticed the sparking white toilets in the security guards' bathroom), made and cleaned the clothes, picked and prepared the food, etc.? The only part of the 3% population that was shown working was the process staff and security; everyone else seemed to spend all their time in leisure pursuits. There was no indication that they brought over inland people to do the menial labor, and it wouldn't make sense for them to do that anyway if they wanted to keep the Offshore as a mystery.

I was also disappointed in the ending. I never liked Michele much, and it seemed like she screwed the Cause members so she could become a hero (new founder) of a new world. Even assuming she gets Fernando and others to work with her, it would take many years to build anything where inland people could live, and meanwhile the inland people will continue to believe in the Process and the Offshore as the ultimate goals--and lives will be destroyed as a result. 

If they have a Season 3, I hope they address some of these issues.  

This was my question as well. If the 3% chosen for the Offshore were doing the menial work,  how did they determine who would do those jobs? Would it be the people who weren't at the top of their class during the Process?

I agree about Michele. She is not much different from the original founders. Instead of building a new place that will likely end up being another Offshore, why not try to invest in rebuilding the Inland and helping the people that live there now? Since they did have power etc., before I'm assuming the infrastructure is already there. And yes, she was annoying. I could not have cared less about her only motivation being taking care of her brother. I was way more invested in the Fernando/Joana and eventually Rafael relationship/partnership than Michele and her brother.

I really couldn't get into this season and had to force my way through it. I think I prefer the "Hunger Games" type scenario of last season when everyone was going through the Process. 

5

Share Post


Link to post

I had a harder time getting into season 2. 

Marco coming back was interesting, but they dangled potential in front of him, then he screwed himself trying to grab it. Why bring him back to repeat the same plot? I would have loved to see more interaction with him, his baby, his “girlfriend,” and his caretaker. Fernando’s comment about the radio picking up from the afterlife was the best part of Marco’s return. 

Michelle’s right in that sabotaging the data won’t stop anything. It would be a hassle to register everyone again, and they’d lose popularity, but so what? They still have the power. Enough people would still jump at the chance to prove themselves. Many would slip by on a second chance, but they could design a test to look for that.

They’d also make a point of beefing up their security to prevent problems in the future. Their security is fairly lacking.

The issue is that she wants to build a third place instead of fixing the inland, and she wants to name it after herself. At least it sounds that way in the English version.

I liked the founding trio. It wasn’t right for the founding couple to screw over so many, but it was interesting that they reacted to being screwed themselves. The third one basically got herself shot. Why were her bones just left there though? The other two clearly cared for her and reacted to her death. Why not give her a proper funeral, and why conceal her existence? The matter in how she died, and what lead to it, were the only things worth hiding. 

Edited by Meushell.
0

Share Post


Link to post

I've watched both seasons and I am having some world building problems with it.

In season one, everyone seemed shocked, SHOCKED that not only did Rafael cheat on a test but that he was passed for cheating. In season two, Fernando is sagely telling all the kids in the "how to pass the Process" class that cheating is rewarded...

But... Alina was shocked by the cheating when she witnessed it with Ezequiel, and was REALLY shocked that Rafael was passed, shocked enough that she expressly mentioned it to the council. Likewise turning the whole isolation in the dorms into the Stanford prison experiment - this was viewed as something completely new to the process. My point? Cheating actually seems to be a really new thing in that other dropouts from the process have not been warning people. 

Also, when we get to the money scene, the boxes of coins that drop outs can walk away with - everyone seems as shocked as the first season's contestants on a Gordan Ramsay cooking show that loved ones are there and that they are being offered a ton of money to quit. But in season two, we see Camilla, who took the pay out, publically discussing it like it was a known factor. So why was everyone so shocked at the idea that late process candidates are sometimes bribed to quit?

And the fertility thing. If candidates are allowed to quit AFTER that announcement, then how is that an unknown factor to the 97%? I allow that those candidates just might end up dead but enough reasonably bright people fail the process that its hard to believe no one ever considered this possibility. Particularly when at least one family, the Alvarez clan, takes care to produce heirs before the process.

But all this said, I adored the first season. I found the second season a little bit overly confused but I am on board for season three - I want to see if Fernando's prior girlfriend the bad seed and her buddy friend the cheater at the paper squares test who appears transgender make it thru the 105th process.

1

Share Post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now