Threads getting marked as read while I'm reading other threads on the show page

Bug description: I've started noticing this happening, but not all the time... 

Steps to reproduce:  I'll be looking at a Show page with more than one thread that has unread posts (bolded).  Default sort sequence, default theme.  Let's say 2  "unread" threads for this example. I'll open the "older" thread and read the unread posts (it takes me to the first one I haven't read).  When I back up to the show page, the newer thread, which I hadn't yet looked at, is no longer bolded, and when I select it, it takes me to the latest post, not the last one I read.

Operating System: Browser:  Definitely happening in Windows 7/latest Firefox.  I think I've seen it happen on my iPhone (safari) but I'm not positive on that.

Example URL(s) if applicable: Happened just now (and other times previously) on The Americans page.  Also on Roseanne.  Pretty sure it's happened other places but I wasn't keeping track at first.

At first it seemed totally random, but I'm starting to suspect it's happening when someone posts in the newer thread while I'm reading a different one on that show's page.  Now that I'm paying attention, the newer thread always has a latest post time of a minute or so ago.

Browser issue on my end?  Forum software issue?  Just me?

Share Post

This has happened to me too, twice in the last week, in different forums.  Can't remember which ones, sorry, and I didn't notice if someone had just posted in the "newer" thread.  It's also happened multiple times since the upgrade.

I'm on windows 7, using Chrome.

I'll try doing a cache refresh, too, but I think it's likely to be the bug @SoMuchTV suggested.

Share Post

I haven't had a chance to do the refresh you suggested on my desktop, but in the meantime, the same thing happened on my iPhone (Safari, latest IOS).  This time it was on the Big Bang Theory page.  There were 4 threads with unread responses.  I opened and read the oldest, then the 2nd oldest, then when I went to the show page, everything was un-bolded. 

Makes me think it's not a browser issue, but either a bug or just the way I tend to look at things (looking at the main show page for unread items, rather than getting notifications or whatever other options there are).  I couldn't tell for sure from the timestamps whether someone posted while I was reading.  I can't really test it out for sure myself.  Maybe a mod or admin with access to some test accounts could see if it's reproducible or whether it's something worth pursuing.

Share Post

I cleared my site cookies after my last response (that was what the article in you link was suggesting, right?  Or was there something else I was supposed to do?), then hadn't spent as much time here in the last few days, but I just had the same thing happen again.  This was in the Roseanne forum.  This time, I was paying attention to the update stamps, and nobody had posted while I was reading the immediately previous thread.  But someone had posted within the previous couple of minutes.  This only seems to happen on the busiest pages and it still seems to have something to do with recent postings, but I can't pin it down.

Share Post

This happened to me twice today and the last post on both had been at least an hour before.  One was on The Big Bang Theory forum and the other was just now on The Beverly Hills 90210 forum.

Is it just a freak glitch?

Share Post

That's weird. There's a big update coming soon and I'm probably going to take that vector as an opportunity to remove a lot of the custom stuff I have in this forum as it getting all very spaghetti-y code-wise and maintaining it only gets harder and more buggy. This might be because of that but it's difficult to diagnose remotely.

Share Post

On 5/15/2018 at 7:17 AM, David T. Cole said:

That's weird. There's a big update coming soon and I'm probably going to take that vector as an opportunity to remove a lot of the custom stuff I have in this forum as it getting all very spaghetti-y code-wise and maintaining it only gets harder and more buggy. This might be because of that but it's difficult to diagnose remotely.

Did the big update happen yet?  I just had the bug again, in the Roseanne forum.  I've mostly changed my browsing habits so it's not as likely to happen, but I'm definitely still seeing it.

Share Post

The big update has not happened. You'll see it when it does. It's not happening super soon.

Share Post

Another reference point:

I was just in the Survivor section.  I had not yet read through any of the 4 threads for the finale and reunion (2 live and 2 standard, one for each "episode"). I  was instead making my way through the individual contestant threads, and had just read the last one I had not read yet (I tend not to read those threads until after the person they are about is voted out).  Heading back to the main forum hub, all the threads were marked read, including the 4 finale/reunion threads that I had deliberately not read yet.

While it may not matter, but for reference and completeness -

Browser:  Firefox 60.0.1 (most recent build)

Share Post

I've had this happen a few times as well -- though oddly not so much after others started reporting it. And while on some of those occasions someone else had posted in the forum while I was reading threads (as SoMuchTV reported), that wasn't the case on other occasions.

Mostly I've been on a Surface 3 running Windows 10 Home and using Microsoft Edge.

Share Post