All Episodes Talk: Who's In The P-Cubes Tonight?

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Share Post

The almost 100% grammatically correct description of the show from Wikipedia:

As the title indicates, Ballmastrz: 9009 takes place in the year 9009 after the "Rad Wars" caused major destruction. A ruler named Krayzar, also known as the Great One, took over and began to lead humanity back into "peaceful" times for thousands of years. To accommodate for humanity's lust for violence and entertainment, Krayzar invented "The Game" a Rollerball-esque game that is meant to replace all previously known sports. The object of the game is that two teams, usually consisting of seven players, must get their team ball, which in the show's universe is also a living being, into the goal on the other side after they have been launched from cannons. The players must also take out the opposing team's members through violent and fatal ways. However, the players are incapable of totally dying as they are healed and even brought back to life by resting in "P-Cubes" while they are coated with living organisms called B.E.H.O.'s (Biologically Engineered Healing Organisms).

The series follows "Gaz Digzy, a washed-up superstar and notorious party gal who, after a spiral of destructive antics, is demoted to The Leptons, the worst team in The Game. Her only way back to the top is to somehow lead these pathetic misfits and “ultimate losers” to victory."

First off; if the show looks a lot like Superjail! meets Rollerball, it's because the creator of the show is Christy Karacas, co-creator of Superjail!

There's an obvious anime influence in the whole thing, starting with the overly excited and lengthy episode titles ("A Shooting Star Named Gaz Digzy Falls Fast & Hard!" could have come straight from One Piece), and includes various anime tropes and character archetypes.

Episode 1) Some exposition by the announcer ball, Aboo Buvu, about the game, the Rad Warz, and Krayzar the Great One. Our heroes, the Leptons, are the losing-est losers that ever lost a game. They get stomped by Gaz and the Boom Boom Boys.

Flash forward to Gaz in full Lindsay Lohan meltdown mode off of the field, complete with illicit acts with a bowling ball. Crayzor kicks her off of her team, but offers to give her another chance if she can help the Leptons win a game.

Interesting that the signs of Gaz's downfall are listed as the aforementioned sex, snarfing, Sniff Clubs, and...spotty wifi. We could have forgiven the other three, but that wifi was the last straw.

If you watch carefully during the scene with Krayzar and Gaz, you can see briefly that there's metal under Krayzar's skin, hinting that he's a robot or cyborg.

Flip apparently comes up with a different origin story for Umbilicus every time he uses it.

Episode 2) Gaz quickly establishes herself at the top of the pecking order of the Leptons. Baby Ball talks her into working together at the expense of the rest of the team for their own benefit. The only problem is that BB and Ace do some sort of Gurren Lagann merge during the match, becoming a Ballmastr, and score the team's first goal ever...in the wrong goal. Ah well, baby steps, right?

Incidentally, a lepton is a subatomic particle with a spin of 1/2. Electrons and neutrinos are types of leptons. Physics is fun!

Edited by Sandman87.

Share Post

Christy Karacas cocreated Superjail? Okay, that explains a lot. Maybe Krayzar is a creation of The Twins, or the logical evolution of Jailbot. Hey, the Warden and his friends recently popped up in Squidbillies, so the possibility is there.

This series works best under a quarter-hour because of its . . . unique approach. Interesting that Gaz is female, though she is ridiculed for her appearance. Body shaming survives to the 91st Century, I guess. I also like Ace being so eager and hyper in general. Baby Ball voiced by Dana Snyder doesn’t hurt as well.

Edited by Lantern7.

Share Post

Episode 3) Buddy Marinara, who's either the league commissioner or the Lepton's manager (I had trouble understanding some of the dialog in this episode due to bad audio mixing), has arranged for a, exhibition fight between the team's new Ballmastr and a giant mutated chinchilla named Xythryll in an abandoned "filthmillery." And it's going to be televised! Gaz makes the Leptons train a bit, but Ace and BB can't figure out how to do the Ballmastr thing again. They decide to get the 411 from Crayzar, but have to answer a riddle before he'll see them. Bob finally does something (!), successfully answering the riddle by not saying anything.

Crayzar reveals the backstory, wherein Balls were created to allow humans to become Ballmastrz, and Crayzar re-purposed them for The Game. Ace and BB will have to synchronize their brainwaves, or go beyond the impossible, or some other damn anime thing, in order to make the transformation again. Again, I couldn't understand about half of what he said.

BB and Ace face off against the formerly-cute-and-fuzzy-monster, but can't transform until Gaz throws BB. Then they pummel the monster and accidentally let it out of the stadium to rampage through the streets. Oops! And the moral of the story is: Don't flush your chinchilla.

Buddy Marinara reminds me of Sleazy P. Martini, the "band manager" from GWAR.

Xythryll sounds like the name of a prescription medication for irritable bowel syndrome.

Episode 4) Ace becomes obsessed with a Pokemon-esque video game called To Catch A Princess, and really wants to catch Princess Luna. All the game playing interferes with Ace's training the next day, and Gaz says mean things to him.

Later that evening Ace manages to catch the princess, who says she wants to meet him in real life.  Naturally she specifies the most obviously sinister place in town for a meeting, kidnaps Ace and BB, and turns out to be a rival Game player from the Yashigari Princesses who wants the secret to becoming a Ballmastr. Much hilarious crotch-banging and ball-squeezing ensues, some of it involving beefy guys dressed in Sailor Moon costumes.

Meanwhile, Gaz takes the video game for a test run, and really gets into it. Half a day later she figures out that Ace is missing and that the Princesses have him. The Leptons confront the Princesses, and put their training to good use, pummeling the Princesses.

Share Post

Episodes 5 & 6) A pair of episodes dealing with the consequences of Gaz's bad relationship choices. Also; Bob makes a vocal noise!

Share Post

Heads up: if you missed any of the episodes, Adult Swim will be rerunning them this week from 1-1:30 a.m., with tonight's installments airing both Thursday and Friday.

I can live with this series, but is it hard to hear the dialogue sometimes? Like, the music drowns it out? Or is it me?

I know Dee Dee (the yandere girl) gets a little focus tonight. I'm good with that . . . all I really know is that Gaz is a pig, Ace is way too optimistic, Baby Ball is an asshole ("What If . . . Master Shake Was Able To Curse Harder?"), and Crayzar (sic?) is mysterious and creepy. It's an acceptable creepy, though . . . as opposed to "rape jester creepy" over on Hunter x Hunter.

Share Post

Episode 7) During a road trip pit-stop, DD ditches the leptons for for Bacchus (the leader of The Middle Fingers - a wasteland biker gang) because Leto won't call her his girlfriend. But only after the obligatory bar fight showing how scary DD can be. Leto gets all depressed...uh, even more depressed than normal...and decides to try to get DD back. A motorcycle race where BB and Ace form a motorcycle ensues involving much cheating by the gang, as well as much puking by BB. Bacchus turns out to be a sore loser, and DD proceeds to beat him so hard that bones fly out of his body.

Maybe the reason Flip's Umbilicus never works right is that his latest backstory involves overcoming 100 hindrances, when the traditional number in Buddhism is only 5.

One of the Fingers has a monowheel. Very cool.

Episode 8) A mishap at the animal shelter leaves Ace addicted to B.E.H.O., and the episode turns into a blatant Akira homage, complete with an Nuke-ish explosion. Really, I half expected Ace to start hollering "KANEDAAAA!"

I can live with this series, but is it hard to hear the dialogue sometimes? Like, the music drowns it out? Or is it me?

It's not just you. The audio mixing needs some work.

ETA: I just noticed that Leto's full name is a palindrome; Leto Otel.

Edited by Sandman87.

Share Post