S01.E10: Danger, Will Robinson 2018.04.13

Episode Synopsis:

The Robinson family scrambles to launch their Jupiter from the Lost Planet, stage an impossible rescue, and reach the Resolute before it leaves orbit for good. Unfortunately, Dr. Smith and the Robot have other plans.

Share Post

This show is pretty good. Way better than I expected it to be.

I thought the kid playing Will Robinson gave a weak to middling performance and when the focus was on his character I usually felt bored or irritated.

Everyone one else was excellent.

The Robinson sisters worked perfectly. When Penny almost broke down when Judy was in the ice I was sold on their dynamic instantly. I wish the show explored their relationship more.

Molly Parker and Parker Posey played so well off each other! They made their characters' interactions--friendly or antagonistic,--feel natural and effortless. Was Dr. Smith's line, 'How can I help you fit something in your box?' supposed to sound dirty? Did Parker Posey do that on purpose?

John Robinson was great, too. The original series John Robinson was bland and entirely forgettable and the 1998 version, although more memorable, was kind of an asshole. This version brought a vulnerability I did not expect, and I dug it.

Don West is my second favorite character. I really liked everything about him. His shadiness, his halfhearted selfishness, and most of all I like the character avoiding the love interest trap. I really can't stress enough how refreshing it was to see Don doing the right thing out of decency and friendship rather than the need to get into Judy's pants.

Dr. Smith. I love her. Every devious, self-serving, manipulative, psychopathic inch of her do I love! She was the perfect mix of mercenary and desperate. Jonathan Harris will always have a special place in my heart, but Parker Posey owns the role of Dr. Smith now.

A few observations and musings:

Having Parker Posey and Selma Blair, two indie darlings, play sisters was pretty cool.

Victor Dhar being a decent guy was almost a plot twist.

Not Evan! I liked Evan!

When Will ordered Robot to restrain Dr. Smith I said out loud: "Wow. And I thought Dr. Smith had no shame."

Share Post

What as the thing under the chariot, a homing egg?

It was okay overall, despite Maureen being the worst mom ever, too many last minute miracles saving people's butts due to mediocre writing and the whole season spent setting up the actual premise of the show.

Share Post

Well, I binged  ten episodes over two days, so I guess that means I liked it. I liked that they've resolved everything with The Resolute. Everybody not on the Jupiter 2 (and poor Evan) made it back, and I assume they'll all now go to Alpha Centauri. I like the introduction of the alien technology, which I assume they won't be quite able to control and will take them all over and will allow them to be truly lost in space.

I've got a couple of issues though. This Dr. Smith is clearly a sociopath; I mean, she just oozes malevolence, and there's no humor to take the edge off as there was with classic Smith. I'm not saying they should soften her up or anything, but at some point it's not going to make any sense for them not to shove her out an airlock before she gets somebody killed.

Also, what's the deal with Don and Judy? Are they not doing that? There's a 12 year age gap between the actors, and probably an even greater gap between the characters, which suggests to me that they're not going there, but they keep putting them together which is tv speak for "hey, look at these two". So, which is it?

Again, I liked the show. I liked where it ended. I hope they get another season to explore some of the more out there aliens and technology that the classic series was known for.

Share Post

This show was...okay, I guess.  I binged it 3 days but it just seemed really simple is the word I'm looking for. It seems like they had a decent budget they should've spent some of that on getting better writers. 

I think they went a little too far with "Dr. Smith" I don't even know why she was constantly scheming even when she didn't have too.  Then would suddenly help for no reason. She didn't make any sense as a character. 

I never saw the original the only base I have is the Matt Leblanc movie. But I didn't mind seeing how they got Lost in Space, at first they were with lost with others then they got lost by themselves with their crew of the Robinson's, Don and "Dr. Smith". It looks like they are going to go there with Don and Judy now that they are stranded. They have an age difference but they did make her legal. I think they should've made at least 22 so I can buy her being a Doctor. She could've at least started Med school. She's a daughter from Maureen's previous marriage/relationship so she could've been older. Are they going to tell us what happened to her birth father? 

I don't know if the science is accurate but that's probably one of things I enjoyed about this show, seeing people use science to get out of situations. Now how they got into those situations was stupid and contrived. I always find putting the lead character in danger dumb because they are not going to kill them off, doing it every episode was way too much. If you are not going to kill them don't pretend too. 

Having said if they get a next season I'll probably watch whenever I can't find anything else to watch. I am interested in seeing the Robot's home planet. 

Share Post

2 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

It looks like they are going to go there with Don and Judy now that they are stranded. They have an age difference but they did make her legal. I think they should've made at least 22 so I can buy her being a Doctor. She could've at least started Med school. She's a daughter from Maureen's previous marriage/relationship so she could've been older.

That's what's got me baffled. Don and Judy were an item in the original series and, IIRC, the movie, so why's she so young here when she could have easily been in her 20s?  Don't get me wrong, I think they have good chemistry and work well together. It's just the age difference puts me off a little, but I could be won over by a good story.

Share Post

The show was better than I expected it to be, but generally speaking I feel it was kind of a missed opportunity. It's 2018 not 1966; I know they are aiming families and children, but I think they should have gone darker, you know? I mean, if you can have preteens and families bonding over Stranger Things, sure you can do it here. This said, I liked what I watched and will watch a second season.

Max Jenkins is an adorable kid, but a weak actor. Right now it works because he has this endearing vibe some young kids have, not sure what will happen when he grows up and the character gets older - assuming we'll get there. The rest of the casting is perfect and I'm willing to bet that Molly Parker's real life kids don't look as much as her as Mina Sundwall does.

Loved the Molly/Jonh relationship, it seemed very realistic for me. I wish they had used Toby Stephens better, and I was delighted that Molly is an accomplished cientist.

I'm not sure how I feel about the three Robinson kids being borderliner to geniuses or being one; someone please explain to me how Judy can be a doctor at 18. I know some kids enter college at 16, but that was ludicruous. She should have been at least 22  to have all this knowledge and for this to work for me, and don't even get me started on this Don/Judy thing. No, just no, no and no. I don't care if she is legal - barely -, she is 18, thus still a kid, while Don is what? 30? This show better not go there, not even hint it anymore - which they already did a lot this season.  I can't phantom why no one at that writers room thought about making Judy 22, 23 and casting an actress who looks the part  or making Don 25, and casting an actor looking the part. 

Another thing that annoyed me is that Dr. Smith is a sociopath. Sure, the original one, as far as I know, was eeeevil, but she kind of lacks some... not empathy, because, hey, sociapath, but something to make *me* feel some empathy for her. But is Parker Posey brilliant or what? I wish there was a way to have Selma Blair there, the Harris sisters would have been a blast.

My favorite characters were Don and Penny, who where funny yet had depeth. I would hang around with both in real life, I guess.

One thing that really annoyed me was how careless those kids were walking around in the florest when they were going back to the ship after leaving the robot in the cave. The saw that giant rino-whatever walking around, and they had seen what the eels could have done to Penny and John. Yet they were so careless. Same with the perimeter thing; John was a Navy Seal, right, and he - and the other adults - know they are in a dangerous planet, yet they chose to not have someone checking the fence or patrolling. Stupid. 

Like someone said, what I really enjoyed is that they tried to solve their problems with science.  The photography of this show is gorgeous, they really used all that money well, didn't they? If only the script had been as good. But I'll come back next season.

Share Post

The actress that plays Judy is 23 so they could've made her 21/22 and in college or med school. The actor that plays Don is 35 so making her 18 is a little questionable if they plan on having them hook up. 

Another thing that bothered me would they really just deny a family because their 10 year old couldn't pass a stress test? He's 10! of course he wouldn't know how to handle stress. And it would probably stress him out more if he knew his whole family going depended on him passing. You'd think they want children at their new society to build future generations. 

Share Post

I ended up watching this all in a binge this over the weekend as well, though I'm not sure why. It was okay, but definitely had problems. 

I agree that they need to adjust Dr. Smith a bit, and allow her to be funny. Her best scene was the flashback with her sister, and her little "Come on - go ahead and pass out already" gesture. Let Parker Posey be Parker Posey a bit. And yes, for practical purposes, she needs to start being a little more useful to the Robinsons before they look like total morons for not shoving her out of an airlock. 

This season definitely ended up better than it started, and I think in large part because the family started to get along better. I get that the marriage was on the rocks, but it made hanging out with the parents a bit of a slog. They got easier to watch once they started to get along. The vibe between the sisters I think they got much better from the start (and the siblings in general, I think - mostly because Penny is a good character and a good bridge between the two). 

And they really, REALLY need to stop doing dumb stuff. Like, I get being a dummy is kinda required for an action show where things go wrong every five minutes - you gotta take dumb risks for that stuff to happen. But when Maureen took off to launch herself into the stratosphere by herself and didn't tell anyone where she was going or what she was doing, I nearly threw up my hands and gave up. That wasn't just dumb, it was wildly irresponsible (and I can't believe John wasn't livid about that). They are in a survival situation. You don't get to launch yourself up on a weather balloon for a little alone time.

Agree the Judy/Don thing is kinda gross. The actress may be early 20s, but she's playing 18 and looks like she could play 15. Don is clearly in his mid-30s. Don't go there, show. 

The best thing about the show really is the pro-science stance. I love that they are surviving not because they are action heroes who are muscling their way through every dangerous event. They are surviving because they are a bunch of scientists who know how to study and solve problems. I loved that they didn't figure out big scary creatures lived in the cave just because it looked spooky and they had a gut feeling, but because a biologist looked at the poop and determined it was from an apex predator.

All problems aside, I agree that the look of the show is fantastic and honestly, there is still a lot of potential there. I hope they do get a second season and in between the writers/producers look at the first season and figure out what they did wrong and correct it. The later half of the season was better, so hopefully they are hitting their stride and will figure it out.

Edited by Kostgard.

Share Post

I never watched the original or the movie. I tuned in because I like sci-fi, Molly Parker, and Toby Stephens. I still like both those actors and Parker made it bearable whenever I was tired of Maureen the character. There are lots of plot holes (as if they would ditch Will for failing) and sci-fi gets more allocation, but it was getting tiresome how many dangerous situations the characters had to face every episode. I wanted to like this show, but I'm really hesitant to try next season. If I do, it'll have to be watching it in the background like I did this show.

They should have aged up Judy to the actress's real age; it would have made things more interesting. The idea of Don/Judy is creepy and the Don character is too much bravado/smugness sometimes. Penny I'm neutral on and at least the most normal kid. I find the actor who plays Will weak and not keen on his specialness. Parker Posey is good at playing a sociopath, but the character is too evil to stay on this show. There is almost no redeemable qualities to her and Posey plays it that way as well.

The robot was nice and they shot most of the show well enough. I like the science and team work aspects when it focused on the family. I liked the finale more than the last few episodes.

Share Post

It'll probably take an eyeroll-worthy plot twist to make it happen, but the robot had better be back in season 2 or I will riot. He was the only one that never annoyed me. And cheesy as it was, my lip trembled a bit at "friend." Seriously, screw physics, just show him holding onto the ship as they fly through the wormhole.

Smith, on the other hand, can go. Posey's done a great job with the role but I think I can stand one more season of her, max.

Share Post

I liked it a lot but it didn't grab my heart or my guts. I'm not the target audience, though, it was a tad too family-friendly for me. Not that I'd want nudity or gore or death everywhere, but it lacked true thrill...maybe since I didn't fall head over heels for the Robinsons.

I appreciated a lot of aspects of the show. The production values were fabulous. The acting was excellent, mostly. I did like that female and male characters were equally important. It was a nice twist that the whole season was actually a "prequel" to the original concept, how the Robinsons got stranded. Couples who are married at the beginning of a show always end-up on the verge of divorce anyway, usually because of artificial drama, so in a way it was refreshing that Maureen and John were already there and their issues were real. I loved the relationship between Will and Robot. It was truly poignant at times, and I don't think it was an easy one to pull off, so cast and crew deserve kudos for this. I found the little actor quite convincing, and above all, the Robinson kids had real  sibling chemistry. It really saved the character of Judy for me, for example, allowing her to show more layers and warmth. It was also nice to see brother and sisters who actually love each other and stick together.

To my surprise, my favorite character was Penny. I just loved her. She was such a breath of fresh air, and her feelings were quite realistic for a teenager. I loved that she wasn't coy and acted on her crush instead of pining from afar (she and Vijay were adorable. Yes, I'm an easy shipper). She was endearing but with enough flaws to avoid the Mary-Sue trap, imo.

In contrast, I regretted how humorless and stuck-up Judy and Maureen were written, especially at first. I know they had reasons to, nevertheless it's a recurring flaw when Hollywood writes strong female characters, imo. It got better little by little, but first impressions die hard. I wish I liked Maureen more than I did, because it annoys me how generally, audiences have trouble to accept female characters in charge whereas a male character written with the same attitude would be A-OK. On paper, I should love her, unfortunately I wasn't too fond of the actress (I didn't know her before -and not an acting problem, she's good). I didn't connect much to either parent in the end. In spite of being an easy shipper, I don't root for them to reunite; that said when they were alone and worked as a team it got better, so maybe there's hope.

My second favorite was Don. Like Penny, he was a breath of fresh air, although I nicknamed him Ham Solo in my head because, duh. His bickering with Judy was so reminiscent of Star Wars that I expected her to call him a scruffy-looking nerf-herder any time. I have two issues with the Don/Judy that is promised. As other have pointed, the age difference. Beyond about ten years, it puts me off and I'd have needed a white-hot chemistry to forget about it. Yet I barely saw a spark. Also, she's the killjoy in the duo so their interactions do her no favor. 

Parker Posey was great acting-wise (when isn't she) now my problem with Smith is her sustainability as a villain. The manipulative type works only until they reveal their true colors. Now that everyone knows, she can't worm her way back in without every other character looking like an idiot for trusting her or allowing her in. Or it will need too convoluted plots.

My other big issue is that the Robinsons worked much, much better for me when they interacted with the characters of the Resolute. I loved the Watanabes, Angela, Vijay and even Victor. It helped that the latter was played by Raza Jaffrey (he was one of my reasons to watch) but I found him a more sustainable foil for the Robinsons, as a deeply flawed character with some qualities, too. I knew why he acted like he did, it made for believable conflicts and real tension, which were character and not disaster-driven for once. John/Don was nice, so I would have loved to see more of Judy and Aiko, or Maureen and Naoko's friendship etc. I really loved the acceptance of Robot storyline, as well as the fuel recuperation. It showed other facets of everyone, and it made for the best character moments. The show hit its stride for me  once the family reunited with the other survivors, from episode 5 on. So I'm not sure I'd enjoy S2 as much if the show is only about the Robinsons and the AOTW.

All in all, it was like drinking a lemonade glass with one single ice cub in summer. Nice and sweet, but just a bit too tepid for my taste. It certainly was entertaining, and I agree that it has a lots of potential. Depending on the direction the writers take and what adjustments they make, I'm ready to watch S2.

Edited by Happy Harpy.

Share Post

You guys have said everything I wanted to say

but just in case there are ever TV types reading, I want to say I will watch any show you build around Selma Blair and Parker Posey having drinks. Any show.

On 4/13/2018 at 3:10 PM, steelyis said:

Was Dr. Smith's line, 'How can I help you fit something in your box?' supposed to sound dirty? Did Parker Posey do that on purpose?

I'm sure it was. Parker Posey seems to have chemistry with everyone (even a robot) BUT her chemistry with Molly Parker was off the charts. I expected them to kiss. I thought to myself "now this is a nice 2018 plot twist."

All in all, it was kind of slow and predictable but the cast is great so I'll probably watch a season 2 if there is one.

Share Post

brings up an interesting point....do they have ranks on this show? who was in charge of the Jupiter 2, Maureen or John? on the surface, Maureen was totally bossing around John it seemed like. I'm all for quality writing for strong female characters, BUT I need to know what rules protocol they are operating within.

Agree on the Judy being a dr at 18, little tooooo convenient as that seems kinda genius level and none of her actions indicate genius level thinking for me. Take the ice thing...any space traveler one would think learns what it means to float alone in space for any length of time with nothing around but vacuum. Ice while different is no more lethal than the vacuum of space. And if Don and her hook up, that age range is outside of my comfort zone, genius or not.

Maureen I like, tho I can tell she gives two beeps regarding John's feelings - I get zero love between them, more it seems a marriage of convenience. If they were in love at some point, MAN it is buried well in what is being acted. 

Penny I like, she seems the most 'genuine' in regards to how teens are - and while she opinionated, it doesn't come off as abrasive. Robot I like too. Don I like, tho the smuggler personality is a bit one dimensional - I did enjoy his arguments with Judy re a doctor makes money off people being miserable or needing something, why is it wrong for a smuggler to tackle the same? (I am SO hoping we are not going down the road of 'in the future people realize what is truly important and have overcome their vices' cliche. People are animals, we love our cliches, we may get smarter but the vices evolve as well.)

Share Post

On 4/16/2018 at 8:18 AM, Lokiberry said:

Well, I binged  ten episodes over two days, so I guess that means I liked it. I liked that they've resolved everything with The Resolute. Everybody not on the Jupiter 2 (and poor Evan) made it back, and I assume they'll all now go to Alpha Centauri. I like the introduction of the alien technology, which I assume they won't be quite able to control and will take them all over and will allow them to be truly lost in space.

I don't think they'll ever be able to get to Alpha Centauri.  One of the first episodes showed a warm hole (or similar?) opening up and sucking the Resolute and the Jupiters into it - that's how they ended up on that planet in the first place.  Now that the Jupiter 2 has jumped away, the Resolute will be trapped in that area of space, which is possibly in another galaxy entirely, according to Maureen (based on that space chart she saw in the alien ship).

I actually thought the kid who played Will was a pretty good actor!  He really made me feel for his relationship with the Robot!  I was heart broken for both of them when he told Robot to walk off that cliff.  Considering the Robot barely talked and had no real facial expression, the Will actor really had to do all the work making those scenes moving, and he DID.  I thought he did a great job!

Similar to others, I thought Dr. Smith was an interesting character and the actor did a great job with what she got, but her motivations were totally all over the place.  For someone who just wants to survive, she was sure doing a bang-up job trying to screw things up for herself!

Share Post

On 4/16/2018 at 8:55 AM, Sakura12 said:

This show was...okay, I guess.  I binged it 3 days but it just seemed really simple is the word I'm looking for. It seems like they had a decent budget they should've spent some of that on getting better writers. 

I agree. I thought they had a really great cast but had no idea what to do with them. As a result, the show was barely passable as entertaining. IMO. I muscled through it because I liked the cast, specifically Toby Stephens, and because I thought the story would eventually get interesting. It didn’t. 

I never saw the original. It was before my time. Therefore, I had no idea what the premise of the show was supposed to be. However, I did assume that with a title of “Lost In Space” that the story would actually take place amongst the stars. I was disappointed to find that it didn’t. They were basically on “Earth” which had a few quirky differences from the original carnation. 

I did enjoy the rapport between John and Judy. Wonderful father/daughter chemistry. I also enjoyed all of the flashbacks to the family’s life back on true Earth. 

Lastly, it was cool to see Toby Stephens and Sibongile Mlambo (Angela).  Both of whom were on Black Sails. I was waiting for them to share a scene but no such luck. 

If the show gets renewed I’ll likely not watch. There was nothing in the finale that was curious enough to bring me back for another season.

Edited by Enero.

Share Post

10 hours ago, Enero said:

Lastly, it was cool to see Toby Stephens and Sibongile Mlambo (Angela).  Both of whom were on Black Sails. I was waiting for them to share a scene but no such luck. 

They did share one brief scene - when Angela showed up on the Jupiter with a gun to take down the Robot.  John tries to talk her out of it and then stands aside as she starts firing.

Share Post

Well it was okay, yes I bloody hope robot was hanging on the Jupiter, the characters were all annoying except Don and John lol

Was it revealed or did I miss it, what Maureen gave for Will to pass the test?

And is Debbie in Jupiter 2? :))

Share Post

I got through this.. barely. I FF’d through a lot of the last 3-4 episodes. Dr. Not Smith was simply horrible. She wasn’t a clever or crafty enough villain to enjoy her evilness. She was just mean and not nearly as smart as she thought she was. The fact that she was a straight up murderer meant, in my opinion, she needed to be finished by the end of the season. The character ruined what might have been a blandly enjoyable show. 

The sisters were fine, not as bad as they might have been. Will was decent. The mom continually struck me as someone I would not be friend with. Ever. The dad was fine enough. At least he seemed to have a growth plot. The robot was okay but by the end I was kind of hoping he’d space them all. It’s apparent, as I type this, that this show was just okay to me. Okay, decent, fine - those aren’t words of endorsement. If there is a season two I doubt I’ll be watching. 

Edited by ramble.

Share Post

Overall, I enjoyed this, moreso because of the actors working extremely well together and individually. The stories were often dull 'Robinson in peril' tropes and there were far too many of them. With only 10 episodes, they should have focused on character development, but if the show gets a second season, maybe that'll happen. The show badly needs re-directing and better writing.

One of the things I absolutely loved was the dynamic of Maureen/Smith.  Women who are in control of themselves and of their destiny.  The last two episodes in particular highlight that Maureen and Smith are the focus, John does not even appear in episode 9. He's missing for a bulk of episode 10 and his story is definitely the B one.  So often, when the chips are down in shows/movies, women are relegated to the back seat, while men play heroes but not here. Maureen and Smith are front and center, their back and forth and battle for control is such a refreshing thing to see.  Molly Parker and Parker Posey played so well opposite each other and once Maureen knew who Smith really was, their dynamic became so much more interesting.  I liked the girls, I'm so glad they weren't fighting over a stupid boy and that by and large, they were good to each other and had a strong bond. Will was fine although he really did one stupid thing after another in the last few episodes.  Don was a nice comic relief and they seemed to dial it back just a titch, which was a relief. Toby Stephens is fantastic, I can completely get what Black Sails fans have been raving about with him and I certainly hope he gets more to do if there's a second season.

Share Post

On 4/16/2018 at 2:43 PM, Happy Harpy said:

Parker Posey was great acting-wise (when isn't she) now my problem with Smith is her sustainability as a villain. The manipulative type works only until they reveal their true colors. Now that everyone knows, she can't worm her way back in without every other character looking like an idiot for trusting her or allowing her in. Or it will need too convoluted plots.

Smith reminds me Marvel's Loki. Like him, Smith this is manipulative bastard that keeps constantly screwing everybody over, yet the rest of the cast doesn't kill her despite many opportunities to do so, many many reasons to do so, and then keep constantly listening to her and doing what she says. On top of all that, her schemes just keep making everything worse for everybody including herself, yet somehow she shouldn't have any reason to believe would work (like the robot being repaired and working for her once it was). Yep, maybe those two should date.

My other big issue is that the Robinsons worked much, much better for me when they interacted with the characters of the Resolute. I loved the Watanabes, Angela, Vijay and even Victor. It helped that the latter was played by Raza Jaffrey (he was one of my reasons to watch) but I found him a more sustainable foil for the Robinsons, as a deeply flawed character with some qualities, too. I knew why he acted like he did, it made for believable conflicts and real tension, which were character and not disaster-driven for once. John/Don was nice, so I would have loved to see more of Judy and Aiko, or Maureen and Naoko's friendship etc. I really loved the acceptance of Robot storyline, as well as the fuel recuperation. It showed other facets of everyone, and it made for the best character moments. The show hit its stride for me  once the family reunited with the other survivors, from episode 5 on. So I'm not sure I'd enjoy S2 as much if the show is only about the Robinsons and the AOTW.

I agree, I think shows with a minimalist cast like the original only really worked back then. The Robinsons work a lot better with characters other than just the main family to bounce off of. Besides, if the Resolute didn't end up coming with somehow or some other people aren't already where they're going there's not going to be anyone around to kill off instead of the main group, which means no tension anymore since we all know they're not going to kill off anyone in the main group.

Don't know how, but I'm sure the robot is going to come back, Lost In Space just wouldn't work without a robot. Though I suspect it won't be until a few episodes in so they can save money.

My verdict? Pretty good season, too much plot induced stupidity involved for my tastes, but I like the characters well enough. I like the robot of course, thought everybody was generally competent except for Will who would have been dead a hundred times over if it weren't for that robot (and he was stupid enough to have it destroyed for no real reason.) At least unlike some other child characters I could name Will had something to contribute rather than just getting in the way constantly though, so I'll give him props for that, but he was still a stupid kid (letting Smith out for instance) far too often for my tastes.

Edited by immortalfrieza.

Share Post

I am not sure what I thought of the season.  At times I liked it.  But I did find a lot of boring parts.  I found they often jumped over parts I wanted to see.  They just showed us the aftermath.  I felt cheated out of those conversations.  Instead we spent a lot of time on long boring conversations that I didn't really care for.  

Dr. Smith needs to stop the constant evil.  I hated her but not in a fun to hate way.  I just felt resigned to knowing she was never going to be killed off so I was stuck with her.  What family would keep her around?

I did enjoy Penny and Don.  They had the best lines and lightened the mood at times.  

I don't know if it was my TV or what.  But I really thought it was too dark at times.  The cave scenes just got boring because I couldn't see what was happening.  

I did laugh that the radios in the chariots were like CB radios with the cords.  Is that really the future?

Share Post

So I have never seen the original beyond clips here or there, and didn't watch the remake movie either. So I can't compare it to the old beyond the little snippets I saw. 

Overall I liked it, good start. But the one character I just can't see how they will keep it going is Dr. Smith. She is just not likable or redeemble in any way right now. I agree with others - What will keep them from ditching her or leaving her to the robots? I feel like it was just over the top malicious for no clear reason other than that character was supposed to be. I don't know if its just the way Parker Posey portrays her or if she is just written that way. But she truly comes across as psychotic to me and I would cringe when her scenes were on. 

Don was probably my favorite character, he has flaws but is redeemable unlike Smith. Penny's snark reminds me of my son so I have to like her as well.

I'll watch a new season if/when it comes out.  

Share Post

I really enjoyed it.

However, given how much you have to stretch your imagination to buy all the fantastical stuff going on, the most unbelievable is that they let "Dr Smith" run around willy nilly (or even to be alive) given that she has proven herself to be a total psycho and liability.

It's that kind of totally  inconsistent nonsense that just ruins things for me.

Share Post

It says a lot about the lack of male/female friendships on TV when so many folks are worried about Don and Penny hooking up. My brothers are significantly older than me, and we have a similar dynamic. Their relationship has been nothing but platonic, and I think it's refreshing that the show is allowing them to just be friends.

Share Post

No, this should have been a ripping yarn, and instead it was... rubbish.  

On it's merits, I can't see this being renewed, but it might get renewed anyway.  If that happens, I won't be back.

Share Post

I don't binge shows that I don't like, uh, so I guess I liked this one.  The only character I thought would bug me was Don. Of course he won me over.  Most of the time I check out directors, producers, writers and so on, and I did notice that there was a big female influence on this version of Lost in Space.  Well, at least on the one episode I checked out. And I agree with those who have mentioned that things got really good with Maureen and NOT Dr. Smith.  Parker Posey was so good with her character that she literally frightened me at times.  Too much psychopathy going on in that woman's head.  She was not playing for laughs.

I also loved the scenes with Will and the robot.  I'm old and mushy and I actually cried when the robot walked off the cliff. 

I hope they do get renewed.  It was a few hours of innocent "what the hell is going to happen next??" fun.

Share Post

Just saw that Lost In Space has been renewed for Season 2.

I came to this fully expecting to hate it.   But there was a lot to like.  Except ... Can't. Stand. Smith.   She's a full-on sociopath and killer.   There's no redemption arc for that.  No way she's going to suddenly grow a conscience.  

Wasn't too fond of the last minute switcheroo either, where the Jupiter wormholes to the Robot's galaxy. 

Share Post

I thought it was interesting that they copied the storyline from the original show, wherein they land on a plant that has an irregular orbit around its sun and becomes too hot to sustain human life. Only on the original show, they had to get into their chariot and drive to the coldest part of the planet then shield themselves from the sun as the planet whipped itself around it. I like that they managed to take off from the planet in this version, except then Maureen suggested they might just wait it out in orbit and then land again. If the planet is going to get too close to the sun and they're orbiting the planet, won't it be just as dangerous as if they're on it? I guess it's a moot point now but that didn't make any sense to me.

Likewise, in Season 2 of the original show, they landed on a planet that was run by robots, and that's where they appear to be heading. So I thought that was kind of neat.

I loved all the other little tributes to the original like naming the chicken Debbie (Debbie was a "Bloop" - a weird alien monkey - in the original show) and that Dr. Smith's real name was June Harris. 

I agree it's going to be tough keeping Dr. Smith relevant going forward, especially since they know her real name now (or, at least, her sister's name). I suppose the fact that she saved John and Don in the end was the show's way of reforming her somewhat but they have a long way to go.

Share Post

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

... If the planet is going to get too close to the sun and they're orbiting the planet, won't it be just as dangerous as if they're on it? ...

I assumed that they'd keep the planet between their ship and the sun to shield themselves.

Share Post

9 hours ago, millennium said:

Just saw that Lost In Space has been renewed for Season 2.

Can I ask you where? I didn't find an official announcement.

Share Post

I wish I could accommodate, but I just checked the list for renewed/canceled shows where I saw it and it's no longer there.   Maybe somebody jumped the laser gun, then realized their error.  

Share Post

6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I thought it was interesting that they copied the storyline from the original show, wherein they land on a plant that has an irregular orbit around its sun and becomes too hot to sustain human life. Only on the original show, they had to get into their chariot and drive to the coldest part of the planet then shield themselves from the sun as the planet whipped itself around it. I like that they managed to take off from the planet in this version, except then Maureen suggested they might just wait it out in orbit and then land again. If the planet is going to get too close to the sun and they're orbiting the planet, won't it be just as dangerous as if they're on it? I guess it's a moot point now but that didn't make any sense to me.

Likewise, in Season 2 of the original show, they landed on a planet that was run by robots, and that's where they appear to be heading. So I thought that was kind of neat.

I loved all the other little tributes to the original like naming the chicken Debbie (Debbie was a "Bloop" - a weird alien monkey - in the original show) and that Dr. Smith's real name was June Harris. 

I agree it's going to be tough keeping Dr. Smith relevant going forward, especially since they know her real name now (or, at least, her sister's name). I suppose the fact that she saved John and Don in the end was the show's way of reforming her somewhat but they have a long way to go.

I like that they kept a fragment of the original series Season 3 theme (the one with the countdown).   I loved it as a kid.  Wish they had incorporated more of it -- or all of it -- but maybe there was a rights/usage concern.   The original Season 3 theme for "Lost In Space" was written by "Johnny Williams," who later made his name as John Williams, composer of the Star Wars theme (and themes for other blockbuster movies).   I have always appreciated that shared heritage between "Lost In Space" and "Star Wars."

Share Post

13 minutes ago, millennium said:

I wish I could accommodate, but I just checked the list for renewed/canceled shows where I saw it and it's no longer there.   Maybe somebody jumped the laser gun, then realized their error.  

OK, thanks :) Probably it's the case.

Share Post

I'm more impressed by this series than I expected to be, and in the end quite enjoyed it.  Considering what the original series was, they did an amazing update.  It remains family friendly, but they managed to squeeze in a few tense moments.  It's not Battlestar Galactica, but it's not aiming to be.  I liked the majority of the characters, and I could usually see the point of view of the ones that annoyed me.  I love the science first approach, especially in a family oriented show.  Even John, one of the less science forward characters, was able to be practical and problem solving with his skill set.

I thought they were very clever in how they updated the robot.  The old style Robby is far too cheesy to work today.  Having him comprehend but engage at a primarily non-verbal level works.  He can be funny or serious as needed.  The approach to Dr. Smith is interesting.  It makes sense in the set up that a true villain could not have made it on a colony ship in a legitimate way because of all the screening, and therefore she would need to be an imposter.  Even Don, a petty criminal, is only there by breaking the rules.  Smith psychological manipulation of everyone made my skin crawl.  I thought it was handled well.  All the other characters start with the basic assumption that she passed the same tests that they did, and that significantly enabled her.  She also kept her manipulation one on one, and a version of the truth.

My biggest problem with Maureen is the same problem I have with a lot of tech characters on television.  They are experts in too many fields.  Astrophysics, structural engineering, navigation, radio transmission, fuel systems, air conditioner maintenance, etc. are not close cousins.  A person may dabble in many fields, but there's a limit.  I recognize that this is for convenience, because otherwise you have to have the whole mission control room involved to solve the problems (see Apollo 13).

Agree with other posters on the uncomfortableness of the age gap between Judy and Don.  They need to be at least five years closer than what is depicted.  I can buy that Judy was put in accelerated medical training after she was accepted for the colony, but 22 would have been much better.  I think they wanted her in the young adult range because of how they wanted to explore the father/daughter relationship.

On 4/17/2018 at 10:38 AM, Adira said:

I actually thought the kid who played Will was a pretty good actor!

Yeah, I thought he was decent, and had decent writing.  While watching this I kept thinking that things have come along way since poor Wil Wheaton was Wesley Crusher.  The family interactions were really good.  Especially with Penny.

Share Post

I might have missed it: Did Don ever confront or have any words with Dr.  Smith after he found the picture of the real Dr. Smith? He left the confrontation to the Robinson to handle.

In an earlier episode, there was a clear picture of the real Jessica Harris from the security guy (who was air locked) but somehow the Robinson have all the information minus a picture to verify June Harris' claim to be Jessica.

Share Post

It appears they decided to shove logic out of the airlock for the final episode. Because of the illogical silliness, the series felt degraded to 'young-adult sci-fi' - - to me.  I was not really happy with ending on a cliffhanger, either. 

The really bad stuff:

• The Resolute, mother ship, is calling Maureen as she is leaving the planet. Maureen never answers. She doesn't ask for help to find John, who is alive.
  • Maureen  doesn't ask the Resolute to wait for them - - are they in immediate danger after they are off the planet?
  • Maureen, when in control of the Jupiter, does not warn the Resolute about not-Dr. Smith and the Robot. In fact, they may not have told anyone else about not-Dr. Smith, for plot reasons.
  • Where did the alien spaceship go? 
  • Will decides the best time to confront his Mom about failing the space test was during a crisis. 
  • Will Maureen ever tell anyone what she learned about the stolen alien technology? 
  • Don conveniently goes blind for about twenty minutes - - and is cured by having an emotional cry.

There were just too, too many plot contrivances jammed into one episode. Another of those was having Penny and Judy trapped in the chariot while Will and Maureen were not. There was also Will needing to make a spacewalk to the far side of the ship - in order for him to be rescued by his Dad. 

On 4/20/2018 at 12:15 AM, immortalfrieza said:

Pretty good season, too much plot induced stupidity involved for my tastes, but I like the characters well enough. 

Agreed.

On 4/20/2018 at 3:27 PM, LakeGal said:

I did laugh that the radios in the chariots were like CB radios with the cords.  Is that really the future?

It is odd that the colonists have our level of technology, and maybe a little better, but there are no electronic assistants such as Suri, Google, Cortana, etc. 
"Alexa, remind me that I have three hours to get off this planet, two hours before John runs out of air, and one hour before the Resolute leaves us. And plot a course for Alpha Centauri. Thanks."

This one episode impacted my enthusiasm for a second season. I am definitely not looking forward to more of not-Dr. Smith. I also hope they work on Maureen's character flaw - the one where she doesn't trust anyone else with information, which always leads to even bigger problems. The problems resulting from characters keeping secrets got old after a while.

Edited by shrewd.buddha.

Share Post

The Resolute, mother ship, is calling Maureen as she is leaving the planet. Maureen never answers. She doesn't ask for help to find John, who is alive.

They established in an earlier episode that they could hear the Resolute's transmissions but the Resolute could not hear them. So at first it made sense she didn't respond. But then when they were in visual range, all of a sudden they could both hear each other. So . . . WTF?

Share Post

37 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

They established in an earlier episode that they could hear the Resolute's transmissions but the Resolute could not hear them.

That made sense when we found out that the Resolute had lost its giant antenna. But the Jupiter ships could communicate with one another - and those ships had returned to the Resolute. 
All they really needed was one Jupiter ship to make it back to the Resolute to tell the people there not to leave until everyone had evacuated the planet. 
And would all the other Jupiter ships have left the planet when Maureen and Judy were still missing? Are they all assholes? 

Edited by shrewd.buddha.

Share Post

I give the show kudos for the brilliant production design and F/X, the reliance on brains and science rather than combat skills to deal with problems, and the touching bond between Will and Robot. I had problems with the characters. The Robinsons spend most of the season in a state of melancholy and/or peril. I found Posey's Dr. Smith portrayal to be extremely lacking. She held her face rigid, made her eyes dead-cold, and talked in a low monotone. Sociopaths are charming and lively as manipulators. I doubt anyone would have bought into her lies for a nanosecond. Don seemed to me the only one of the regulars who had a spark of personality. There are actresses who at 18 wouldn't seem way too young for him; he reads more as 30 than his real age. The problem is that Taylor Russell is very slight and has a baby face. During the pilot I thought she was in the 12 to 14 range.

The show, like Maureen, hoards information for no good reason. We don't find out for three hours that there are many survivors on the planet; it's episode five before we find out which Robinson is Judy's biological parent. I did find interesting (if regressive) the arc for John. He's a Navy Seal who is nevertheless the least useful of a family of geniuses in a situation that depends on smarts rather than combat skills. Even his qualifications as protector get usurped by the Robot. Of course he proves the patriarchal rescuer in the end so that he emerges into S2 as the proper head of the family, rather than brainy Maureen.

Finally as someone who watched the original series as a teenager, this version lacks a sense of humor and adventure. It's sort of like a Supernatural that is all Sam and no Dean.

Share Post

15 hours ago, Cardie said:

I give the show kudos for the brilliant production design and F/X, the reliance on brains and science rather than combat skills to deal with problems, and the touching bond between Will and Robot. I had problems with the characters. The Robinsons spend most of the season in a state of melancholy and/or peril. I found Posey's Dr. Smith portrayal to be extremely lacking. She held her face rigid, made her eyes dead-cold, and talked in a low monotone. Sociopaths are charming and lively as manipulators. I doubt anyone would have bought into her lies for a nanosecond. Don seemed to me the only one of the regulars who had a spark of personality. There are actresses who at 18 wouldn't seem way too young for him; he reads more as 30 than his real age. The problem is that Taylor Russell is very slight and has a baby face. During the pilot I thought she was in the 12 to 14 range.

The show, like Maureen, hoards information for no good reason. We don't find out for three hours that there are many survivors on the planet; it's episode five before we find out which Robinson is Judy's biological parent. I did find interesting (if regressive) the arc for John. He's a Navy Seal who is nevertheless the least useful of a family of geniuses in a situation that depends on smarts rather than combat skills. Even his qualifications as protector get usurped by the Robot. Of course he proves the patriarchal rescuer in the end so that he emerges into S2 as the proper head of the family, rather than brainy Maureen.

Finally as someone who watched the original series as a teenager, this version lacks a sense of humor and adventure. It's sort of like a Supernatural that is all Sam and no Dean.

I agree with everything you said except that I don't think the Dad is in charge at the end. Yes, he gets a last second save of Will but until then he's just the episode's damsel in distress and in earlier episodes (like where they're trapped in the tar), he's fully deferring to Maureen.  An advantage of Judy looking young means that she doesn't read as parental with her sister and, for me, the sibling relationships are a real strong point.  As for the age gap with Don, maybe they aren't going to be romantically linked.  Their scenes so far could read either way.

Share Post

I liked this series.

Penny is definitely my favourite character, followed by Don. Both have a good sense of humour. Penny also seems far more normal than her siblings, who both seem to be highly intelligent.

Will might be silly sometimes, but he is absolutely adorable.

John grew on me as the season progressed and I only liked Maureen when she was being protective of her kids. I loved her scene when she was battering Robot. 

Dr Smith is horrible and her motivation didn't make sense much of the time. If she is here next season, I hope they make her more sympathetic.

Share Post

I've looked at some YouTube reviews of this series and, along with the comments in this forum, the reactions to Parker Posey's Dr. Smith are really mixed. 

For me, she was the highlight of the show. I didn't really become invested in the pilot until the last five minutes when she was introduced. The more she was woven into the story, the more interested I became in the story.

Admittedly, that's a problem. None of the other characters were really grabbing me in a way that made me want to keep watching until she came along. I also have a tough time seeing where they go from here with this character now that (most of) her secret is out in the open.

I suppose this final episode attempted to redeem her somewhat since she ended up saving John and Don. It's still going to be tough to incorporate her into whatever story they have in mind going forward. 

Share Post

The problem with Posey's Dr. Smith is that she has no value as a member of the team-- she only exists to create chaos. I never watched the original-- but I believe the OG Dr. Smith was actually a doctor and served some kind of purpose.

-bear with me now-- one of the reasons Richard Hatch made such a great/ interesting villain/foil on Survivor was because the other contestants needed him because he was the only one who could catch fish. Posey's character needs to be needed in some way to justify them keeping her around.

I have a hard time believing that these people, all picked for the mission for their smarts and skills, would be making so many mistakes.  The fuel mission (did they even try to find another way back to camp that wasn't through  explosion valley?) everyone is always running off and not telling people where they're going so when they get in trouble no one can help them out.)

Also, the woman who hated the robot (Angela) -- her husband who was killed played the violin-- they really gave priority to a violinist on this first mission?

If gravity works different on this planet (the reason they had to strip down the ship) why didn't we see any other evidence of it?

Share Post

On 4/24/2018 at 12:24 PM, Quark said:

Dr Smith is horrible and her motivation didn't make sense much of the time. If she is here next season, I hope they make her more sympathetic.

If there is a season 2 the writers have backed themselves into a corner with this character haven't they? She needed to be the "hero" or at least have a bad-ass robot bodyguard to exist in the new colony. Well it doesn't look like the colony is going to happen any time soon so now what the heck do you do with her? I guess the can have her steal stuff from the robots that the family can use. Or maybe the robots will need some fake psychotherapy?

Share Post

I ended up liking this series a lot more than I went into it expecting to, goofiness and all.  No, it's not groundbreaking TV, but it's entertaining enough for what it is, I enjoyed most of the visual effects, and it was something I could watch with my kids, so good enough for me. 

Again, I come away from this episode wondering just how Not Dr. Smith saw anything she was trying to do play out.  Had she gotten out in time to seize control of the ship, she admitted she doesn't know how to fly.  Maureen was just fucking done with being threatened and bullied when there was a fair chance they were all going to die anyway.  The Robinsons if nothing else have proved themselves more than capable in a pinch.  So instead of the constant pounding and doing more damage to the ship, wouldn't the smarter thing have been to let it play out?  But no she can't stop just spinning and spinning and spinning and making everything worse across the board.  Which leaves the writers with a huge corner to configure themselves out of if and when they get a second season.  The reveal that Not Dr. Smith at the last possible moment made the second harpoon throw to save John, enabling him to in turn save Will, is probably enough under the circumstances of them being sucked into something new entirely that the goody goody Robinsons will figure they have bigger things to worry about than moving against one seemingly defanged shit stirrer.  It could be interesting to see if those dynamics even matter if they actually were pulled into whatever dimension?? the robots came from as Will seemed to be suggesting at the end.  I don't doubt we'll be seeing them again.

Also again, I find myself realizing if their relationship wasn't one of one of the two continually lying to, kidnapping, or threatening the other's family that I could really like the chemistry and the easy back and forth the two lead actresses have with each other.  Maureen may still not be the easiest character to take at times, but she really grew on me in the back half of the season as she got to be the hero and leader she was obviously styling herself to be with decidedly mixed results in the front half.  Will finally got to come through in the end and I even liked the little touch that less than personable Vic tried to wait the Resolute for them.

Share Post

NotDr. Smith will no doubt immediately volunteer to serve as a collaborator, spy and saboteur for the robots and their evil alien overlords (if there are any.) They will task her with getting information from Maureen about the alien tech the Earth scientists stole. In other words, more of the same from her.

Share Post

I thought it was good and that the last three episodes finished strongly.  I love the place they left them at the end and I'm looking forward to a season 2.

The Dr. Smith character still makes little sense and was the weakest aspect of this show.

Share Post

On 4/23/2018 at 9:07 AM, shrewd.buddha said:

It appears they decided to shove logic out of the airlock for the final episode. Because of the illogical silliness, the series felt degraded to 'young-adult sci-fi' - - to me.  I was not really happy with ending on a cliffhanger, either. 

The really bad stuff:

• The Resolute, mother ship, is calling Maureen as she is leaving the planet. Maureen never answers. She doesn't ask for help to find John, who is alive.
  • Maureen  doesn't ask the Resolute to wait for them - - are they in immediate danger after they are off the planet?
  • Maureen, when in control of the Jupiter, does not warn the Resolute about not-Dr. Smith and the Robot. In fact, they may not have told anyone else about not-Dr. Smith, for plot reasons.
  • Where did the alien spaceship go? 
  • Will decides the best time to confront his Mom about failing the space test was during a crisis. 
  • Will Maureen ever tell anyone what she learned about the stolen alien technology? 
  • Don conveniently goes blind for about twenty minutes - - and is cured by having an emotional cry.

There were just too, too many plot contrivances jammed into one episode. Another of those was having Penny and Judy trapped in the chariot while Will and Maureen were not. There was also Will needing to make a spacewalk to the far side of the ship - in order for him to be rescued by his Dad. 

How timely that yet another alien spaceship shows up to rescue the robot ?  Because the ship appeared to be undamaged, so it probably wasn't the crashed ship from the planet, and contained another robot all ready to go in combat mode.  Was it drawn by the module under the chariot ?

Did Maureen/Judy know that the robot attached the module to the bottom of the chariot ? How could they not know ? 
And why would this piece of alien tech induce artificial gravity, but only in the plot-convenient direction (down in J2 ship's terms) ?

Is the Resolute crew freaking out by the presence of the new alien ship ?  We can safely assume that the Resolute is powered by a similar alien engine as well, and will continue to attract alien ships like a moth to a flame.

Did Debbie the chicken have it's own spacesuit ?  Otherwise how did the chicken survive the hard vacuum of space.

It would have been helpful for them to show how Don and John survived the destruction of the J4, with more than 24 hours of suit air. 
And how come the Resolute didn't bother to investigate a ship exploding as it tried to entered orbit from the previous episode ?

As for getting Don to cry, all John had to say was that Don was never going to see Debbie again. Or that they had to convert all his smuggled whiskey to fuel.  Or both.  He would have cried in about 2 minutes.

Could someone get some space polysporin and some space band-aids for the injuries on Maureen and John's faces ?

Share Post

It's rather interesting to see people referring to Lost in Space as the original source when it was based on the novel Swiss Family Robinson which itself was modelled after Robinson Crusoe. Both were about survival and resourcefulnes, so it makes perfect sense that science takes precedence over military style training. It also makes sense that the family is on their own because in the original source material the protagonists were shipwrecked and isolated.

Couldn't stand Parker Posey at all. She was wooden and annoying and the Dr. Smith character was useless. Really good writing should be able to create tension without a human antagonist. The family is battling an unknown environment --shouldn't that be enough? Why does present day society think that the only interesting way to create tension is by killing off characters? TvLand has done that already anyway so it's nothing new or interesting. Losing major characters loses audience.

Someone above was going on about Maureen's & John's still being estranged at the end of season one. Did they not witness John being willing to sacrifice his life for Maureen's, or Maureen putting the whole family (with their full support) in jeopardy to save John?  They also told each other more than once that each loved the other. That doesn't seem like estrangement to me.

I like Molly Parker but Maureen was a pill although she did have some decent character growth towards the end. I'm still not buying her reasons for initially cold-shouldering John the way she did but maybe we'll find out more about that next season.

Does Ignacio Serricchio always play unjustifiably arrogant characters? I've only seen him in Bones previously and couldn't stand the mouthy, arrogant character he played on that either. On the other hand, I have no problem with him and Judy becoming a couple; she's obviously emotionally mature for her age and he's emotionally immature. I think that balances them out. And it's not as though there's anyone else for each, is there? 

The kids doing stupid things makes perfect sense to me -they're kids! And kids, no matter how genius, don't often stop and think about their own mortality and safety. The world around them looked basically like Earth so they didn't think much about what they were doing.

My favourite characters were John and Penny. John is strong enough to admit that he doesn't have all the answers and I just think Penny is pretty cool. 

Loved the robot but then I generally do. Isaac is my favourite character on The Orville and Data was my favourite character on ST:TNG. I'm wondering if the director's had Maxwell Taylor and the actor who played the robot do some of the scenes without the robot costume to help build the rapport between the two. Or just maybe they hung out together. I did think they were lovely together. I do hope they bring him back even if it does involve a ridiculous plot twist.

As for the radios with cords. maybe having the mic attached to the receiver more secure in space with possible zero gravity and short wave radio more reliable than wi-fi in space as well.

Share Post