Jump to content

S01.E10: Danger, Will Robinson 2018.04.13

On 4/25/2018 at 3:38 PM, sacrebleu said:

Also, the woman who hated the robot (Angela) -- her husband who was killed played the violin-- they really gave priority to a violinist on this first mission?

 

This is the 24th mission, and I think she mentioned that he was the first professional musician in the program.

As far as the Robot goes:  He was last seen drifting in space.  In the same general orbital vicinity as one of his kind's fully-functional interstellar spaceships. Which have some sort of link with their passengers. He'll be fine, and he'll be back.

2

Share Post


Link to post
On 2018-04-20 at 5:04 PM, Txmomof2 said:

Overall I liked it, good start. But the one character I just can't see how they will keep it going is Dr. Smith. She is just not likable or redeemble in any way right now. I agree with others - What will keep them from ditching her or leaving her to the robots? I feel like it was just over the top malicious for no clear reason other than that character was supposed to be. I don't know if its just the way Parker Posey portrays her or if she is just written that way. But she truly comes across as psychotic to me and I would cringe when her scenes were on. 

 

On 2018-04-23 at 7:58 PM, Cardie said:

I found Posey's Dr. Smith portrayal to be extremely lacking. She held her face rigid, made her eyes dead-cold, and talked in a low monotone. Sociopaths are charming and lively as manipulators. I doubt anyone would have bought into her lies for a nanosecond. 

Finally as someone who watched the original series as a teenager, this version lacks a sense of humor and adventure. It's sort of like a Supernatural that is all Sam and no Dean.

I've never liked Parker Posey in anything and I am really disliking her big time in this one. NotDr.Smith makes no sense at all, everything she does appears to be completely random. She is approaching Negan (TWD) levels of stupidity but sadly, I believe she will also be encased in solid plot armour.

Ha, you're right, the show leans more to a Sam kind of perspective, but I have faith that Don (and Debbie!) will bring in some more humour. And Penny. If Will and the robot are the heart and soul of this show, Penny and Don bring the laughs, or so I expect.

On 2018-05-06 at 5:48 PM, welnoc said:

Couldn't stand Parker Posey at all. She was wooden and annoying and the Dr. Smith character was useless. Really good writing should be able to create tension without a human antagonist. The family is battling an unknown environment --shouldn't that be enough? 

Someone above was going on about Maureen's & John's still being estranged at the end of season one. Did they not witness John being willing to sacrifice his life for Maureen's, or Maureen putting the whole family (with their full support) in jeopardy to save John?  They also told each other more than once that each loved the other. That doesn't seem like estrangement to me.

I like Molly Parker but Maureen was a pill although she did have some decent character growth towards the end. I'm still not buying her reasons for initially cold-shouldering John the way she did but maybe we'll find out more about that next season.

The kids doing stupid things makes perfect sense to me -they're kids! And kids, no matter how genius, don't often stop and think about their own mortality and safety. The world around them looked basically like Earth so they didn't think much about what they were doing.

My favourite characters were John and Penny. John is strong enough to admit that he doesn't have all the answers and I just think Penny is pretty cool. 

Loved the robot but then I generally do. Isaac is my favourite character on The Orville and Data was my favourite character on ST:TNG. I'm wondering if the director's had Maxwell Taylor and the actor who played the robot do some of the scenes without the robot costume to help build the rapport between the two. Or just maybe they hung out together. I did think they were lovely together. I do hope they bring him back even if it does involve a ridiculous plot twist.

As for the radios with cords. maybe having the mic attached to the receiver more secure in space with possible zero gravity and short wave radio more reliable than wi-fi in space as well.

Agreed, although I think I would add Don to my list of favourite characters. It was mentioned upthread that he is a Han Solo type of character and I agree, in fact, I think the writers intentionally did some acknowledgement there, when Don called Judy "princess" several times. I also thought there was a nod to Aliens (or Alien Resurrection?) when one of the apex predators in the cave stuck its blind face in Penny's face, seeking his prey. I also thought of a few other science fiction movies as I binged all the episodes (can't remember which ones particularly).

I don't know what the show is going to do about NotDrSmith, I think she is far beyond redemption and she is pretty much useless as anything other than a villain anyway. I hope they go ahead and kill her off sometime soon in the next season (if we get one).

3

Share Post


Link to post

The mother came a hairs breadth away from saying “Get away from her you bitch” in the robot show down.

Edited by Pindrop.
5

Share Post


Link to post
3 hours ago, PreBabylonia said:

 

. NotDr.Smith makes no sense at all, everything she does appears to be completely random. She is approaching Negan (TWD) levels of stupidity but sadly, I believe she will also be encased in solid plot armour.

 

I don't know what the show is going to do about NotDrSmith, I think she is far beyond redemption and she is pretty much useless as anything other than a villain anyway. 

You know, as much credit as the actor deserves (based on what people say, I suppose) for playing this villain, it's the kind of villain I hate and actually makes shows annoying to watch:

 The rando psycho. 

 

The rando psycho has no compelling reasons for doing things.  The rando psycho is generally surrounded by trusting dumbos who have the truth staring them right in the face but don't do anything about it.  The rando psycho is often cruel and sadistic beyond reason.  The rando psycho is usually involved in one of my least favorite plot devices:  displaced blame/deliberate misunderstanding/frame jobs.  

 

The rando psycho is all these things and yet simultaneously boring to watch and, imo, lazy writing.

11

Share Post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, stan4 said:

You know, as much credit as the actor deserves (based on what people say, I suppose) for playing this villain, it's the kind of villain I hate and actually makes shows annoying to watch:

 The rando psycho. 

 

The rando psycho has no compelling reasons for doing things.  The rando psycho is generally surrounded by trusting dumbos who have the truth staring them right in the face but don't do anything about it.  The rando psycho is often cruel and sadistic beyond reason.  The rando psycho is usually involved in one of my least favorite plot devices:  displaced blame/deliberate misunderstanding/frame jobs.  

 

The rando psycho is all these things and yet simultaneously boring to watch and, imo, lazy writing.

Agreed, there were potentially interesting aspects to this character, for example the cowardice, fear of having misdeeds uncovered and over-riding sense of self-preservation, but they threw that away as a motivation and just made her, as you say, a rando-psycho. As an example, in sci-fi, Gaius Baltar was a much more nuanced (and hilarious) version of this character.  

Edited by Pindrop.
6

Share Post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Pindrop said:

Agreed, there were potentially interesting aspects to this character, for example the cowardice, fear of having misdeeds uncovered and over-riding sense of self-preservation, but they threw that away as a motivation and just made her, as you say, a rando-psycho. As an example, in sci-fi, Gaius Baltar was a much more nuanced (and hilarious) version of this character.  

The worst part about the rando psycho is how unbelievable they make the story line to the point of unwatchability.

4

Share Post


Link to post
11 hours ago, stan4 said:

The worst part about the rando psycho is how unbelievable they make the story line to the point of unwatchability.

Yes, it is a very lazy way of creating conflict; but then this show did also rely on a lot of plot-induced stupidity. It is an issue I have with a lot of US committee writing; the shows always feel like the result of an algorithm and they all fundamentally hit the same beats, just some take a lazier route there than others, and psycho antagonist is about the laziest.

Edited by Pindrop.
3

Share Post


Link to post
On 4/16/2018 at 12:43 PM, coppersin said:

It'll probably take an eyeroll-worthy plot twist to make it happen, but the robot had better be back in season 2 or I will riot. He was the only one that never annoyed me. And cheesy as it was, my lip trembled a bit at "friend." Seriously, screw physics, just show him holding onto the ship as they fly through the wormhole.

Smith, on the other hand, can go. Posey's done a great job with the role but I think I can stand one more season of her, max.

I can't imagine Robot isn't back.  He's integral to the show.  I was expecting them to show him have some propulsion type device in his feet and see him flying back to the ship.  Hopefully that's what happened and he's hanging on to the outside.

Did Robot utter "Danger, Will Robinson" again during the last episode as was the episode title?  I heard him say "Danger" but not the iconic line.

 

On 4/22/2018 at 9:44 AM, iMonrey said:

I thought it was interesting that they copied the storyline from the original show, wherein they land on a plant that has an irregular orbit around its sun and becomes too hot to sustain human life. Only on the original show, they had to get into their chariot and drive to the coldest part of the planet then shield themselves from the sun as the planet whipped itself around it. I like that they managed to take off from the planet in this version, except then Maureen suggested they might just wait it out in orbit and then land again. If the planet is going to get too close to the sun and they're orbiting the planet, won't it be just as dangerous as if they're on it? I guess it's a moot point now but that didn't make any sense to me.

Likewise, in Season 2 of the original show, they landed on a planet that was run by robots, and that's where they appear to be heading. So I thought that was kind of neat.

I loved all the other little tributes to the original like naming the chicken Debbie (Debbie was a "Bloop" - a weird alien monkey - in the original show) and that Dr. Smith's real name was June Harris. 

I agree it's going to be tough keeping Dr. Smith relevant going forward, especially since they know her real name now (or, at least, her sister's name). I suppose the fact that she saved John and Don in the end was the show's way of reforming her somewhat but they have a long way to go.

Ah, so this was the history.  I loved watching reruns as a kid of the original, but maybe I just didn't see the very first ones or just never thought back then when I was 8 or 9 how these guys ended up on the planet to begin with.  I love that they incorporate a small segment of the original theme (the main hook, as I always thought).  

 

18 hours ago, stan4 said:

The worst part about the rando psycho is how unbelievable they make the story line to the point of unwatchability.

The original Dr. Smith was self-serving, but he wasn't evil like this NotSmith, at least if my memory serves me correctly.  As a kid watching the reruns I always annoyed by Smith but didn't hate him how I hate NotSmith today.

3

Share Post


Link to post
Quote

I loved watching reruns as a kid of the original, but maybe I just didn't see the very first ones or just never thought back then when I was 8 or 9 how these guys ended up on the planet to begin with. 

In the original show's first season, the Robinsons spent the entirety of the season on one planet, the one that had the weird orbit around its sun. In the second season they blast off back into space then wind up on the robot planet in Episode 3, then crash on another planet in Episode 4 and remain there for the rest of the season. In the third season they visited several planets.

 

Quote

The original Dr. Smith was self-serving, but he wasn't evil like this NotSmith, at least if my memory serves me correctly.

In the first five or six episodes of the original show, Smith was decidedly evil - he even gave instructions to the robot to kill any of the Robinsons he found alone (and almost ended up killing Will). It wasn't until later the character was drastically softened and became more comical, thanks largely to Jonathan Harris's ad-libbing, which show creator Irwin Allen enjoyed. 

0

Share Post


Link to post
Quote

it was getting tiresome how many dangerous situations the characters had to face every episode

My 10 yr old says this every episode and i think we are stopping at episode 8.

0

Share Post


Link to post

I watched the season finale with my 9 year old daughter.  We liked the show but I was surprised my daughter shared my annoyance at Dr. Smith and Will Robinson.

 

Aside from her manipulating, lying, and lurking around, the way Dr. Smith talks is irritating. My daughter wanted to fast forward away from scenes with the doctor in it. 

 

I know Will Robinson is just a kid but we still find him too whiny.

"I'm sorry. I can't do it."

"I'm not strong enough."

"It's my fault."

Geez ... he sounds like Barry Allen from The Flash (CW).

 

I hope the show improves next season preferably with less whining and lying. I like the look of the show, I like Maureen and John Robinson. I like that they use science to solve the problems they face. 

1

Share Post


Link to post
On 4/16/2018 at 6:47 PM, Colorado David said:

brings up an interesting point....do they have ranks on this show? who was in charge of the Jupiter 2, Maureen or John? on the surface, Maureen was totally bossing around John it seemed like. I'm all for quality writing for strong female characters, BUT I need to know what rules protocol they are operating within.

Despite the original leader of the Resolute (the one who interrogated Dr. Smith) being a military Captain, the entire program seemed to be a civilian one and not military. At the very least, the people being sent to populate the new planet were not governed by military. Ergo there was no rank for any of the characters on the planet - they were all civilians being transported to live on the new world. The fact that John was in the military was entirely tangential, as was the fact that Maureen designed the Jupiters and the Resolute. The Jupiters were really only there for the first and last leg of the journey - from Earth and to the Resolute, then from the Resolute to Alpha Centauri (at that point... converted to habitats?)

They appeared to have no contingency plan for emergencies and thus no command hierarchy.

(Also, there's no way the Resolute would be commanded by a Captain / Navy Lieutenant. It would almost certainly be captained by a Colonel / Navy Captain.)

On 4/17/2018 at 10:38 AM, Adira said:

I don't think they'll ever be able to get to Alpha Centauri.  One of the first episodes showed a warm hole (or similar?) opening up and sucking the Resolute and the Jupiters into it - that's how they ended up on that planet in the first place.  Now that the Jupiter 2 has jumped away, the Resolute will be trapped in that area of space, which is possibly in another galaxy entirely, according to Maureen (based on that space chart she saw in the alien ship).

I actually thought the kid who played Will was a pretty good actor! 

Agreed about Will. He's not winning any awards but I never felt like he dragged down the show. That's a pretty good mark for a kid his age.

The way I read the worm hole was that the Resolute opened it and traveled to the planet they all crashed on. Presumably they panicked when the robot attacked and opened it in an attempt to escape, entering the wrong destination. Or perhaps they opened it inadvertently. Either way, the Resolute is able to open a wormhole like that because they acquired an alien egg drive like the one that took over J2 at the end. They picked this up during the "meteor" crash in the flashback, and it was the "recent advancement" that Maureen's boss hinted at.

So once the Jupiters were collected the Resolute would have opened another wormhole to Alpha Centauri. Now the Jupiter 2 of course has its own and can take them anywhere it wants, or hopefully if Robot returns, anywhere they want.

1

Share Post


Link to post
On 5/21/2018 at 1:47 PM, ae2 said:

The way I read the worm hole was that the Resolute opened it and traveled to the planet they all crashed on. Presumably they panicked when the robot attacked and opened it in an attempt to escape, entering the wrong destination. Or perhaps they opened it inadvertently. Either way, the Resolute is able to open a wormhole like that because they acquired an alien egg drive like the one that took over J2 at the end. They picked this up during the "meteor" crash in the flashback, and it was the "recent advancement" that Maureen's boss hinted at.

So once the Jupiters were collected the Resolute would have opened another wormhole to Alpha Centauri. Now the Jupiter 2 of course has its own and can take them anywhere it wants, or hopefully if Robot returns, anywhere they want.

That's not my impression at all.  I was under the impression that the Resolute was using that alien egg drive to travel between Earth and Alpha Centauri.  But then they were attacked the the Robot aliens (one or more, don't know) in an effort for the Robots to get it back.  I assumed the egg drive on the Robot's ship was really the one from the Resolute, and so now it's on J2 and the Resolute doesn't have one.

0

Share Post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, Adira said:

That's not my impression at all.  I was under the impression that the Resolute was using that alien egg drive to travel between Earth and Alpha Centauri.  But then they were attacked the the Robot aliens (one or more, don't know) in an effort for the Robots to get it back.  I assumed the egg drive on the Robot's ship was really the one from the Resolute, and so now it's on J2 and the Resolute doesn't have one.

I suppose that's possible, but I don't think it's the case. The Resolute spoke about jumping away - indicating they still had FTL capabilities. The egg drive that ended up on J2 was from Robot's ship, which had been crashed on the surface the entire time. I thought the Resolution had their own drive, Robot came to the Resolute in his own ship with its own drive, which then crashed on the planet with all the Jupiters. His drive then attached itself to the rover thing and made its way to the J2. There's probably a third one on the new robot's ship too.

Of course, it's entirely possible that there is only 1 drive, and everyone who knows how the Resolute's FTL capabilities work is dead and they just don't realize their engine is missing.

The real question is whether we'll even see the Resolute next season? If not none of this matters a whole lot. They spent a fair amount of time developing a few of those characters, and while I wouldn't be heart broken to lose the Dhar family, I did really enjoy the Watanabes.

0

Share Post


Link to post
3 hours ago, ae2 said:

I suppose that's possible, but I don't think it's the case. The Resolute spoke about jumping away - indicating they still had FTL capabilities. The egg drive that ended up on J2 was from Robot's ship, which had been crashed on the surface the entire time. I thought the Resolution had their own drive, Robot came to the Resolute in his own ship with its own drive, which then crashed on the planet with all the Jupiters. His drive then attached itself to the rover thing and made its way to the J2. There's probably a third one on the new robot's ship too.

Of course, it's entirely possible that there is only 1 drive, and everyone who knows how the Resolute's FTL capabilities work is dead and they just don't realize their engine is missing.

The real question is whether we'll even see the Resolute next season? If not none of this matters a whole lot. They spent a fair amount of time developing a few of those characters, and while I wouldn't be heart broken to lose the Dhar family, I did really enjoy the Watanabes.

See, I was under the impression that Robot's ship crashed on the planet roughly the same time all the Jupiters did.  But it would make sense that the Robot ships have their own drives too and I don't know why I just assumed there was only the one.  I guess part of the reason was because if all the Robot ships had their own drives, why would they have attacked the Resolute to get it back?  I'm kind of assuming it's a moot point though and we'll probably never see the Resolute or get the answer to this question!

0

Share Post


Link to post

Maybe the robot aliens want their drive back because it seems to be as alive as they are. They are rescuing a family member rather than retrieving stolen property.

1

Share Post


Link to post

Also, if you were an alien race with an FTL drive, would you want US to have one?  Look at how badly we're screwing up our own planet; let alone how violent we may appear to outsiders.

1

Share Post


Link to post

Wow, I'm a moron. I binge watched the whole first season before realizing the chicken was named after The Bloop! How could I miss that? Maybe because it was Don and not Penny.

0

Share Post


Link to post

I'm still not sure what Not Dr. Smith's end game plan was. She was stuck on a planet about to burn up and if she went back to the Resolute they'd send her out an airlock for killing the guard. Only toward the end did she have any plan to use the robot. 

I remember watching this episode and seeing how many lose ends there were with less than 10 minutes left. The ending tied most of those up but it all seemed to convenient. 

3

Share Post


Link to post
On 29/05/2018 at 12:20 AM, Subrookie said:

I'm still not sure what Not Dr. Smith's end game plan was. She was stuck on a planet about to burn up and if she went back to the Resolute they'd send her out an airlock for killing the guard. Only toward the end did she have any plan to use the robot. 

I remember watching this episode and seeing how many lose ends there were with less than 10 minutes left. The ending tied most of those up but it all seemed to convenient. 

It was all plot induced stupidity. Rather than characters with believable and consistent motivations and an overriding story arc, we had the writers saying “what can happen next that’s exciting?”

3

Share Post


Link to post

Just watched the season in the space of a week or so, and my abiding opinion is: I'm going to have to start skipping through scenes where Smith does stuff that's absurdly nefarious and evil just because the plot needs it to happen. I've never been a fan of Parker Posey, but this role is a new nadir in her being flat-yet-irritating. Everything she did from about episode 4 onward was just designed to make her life more difficult. Just keep your head down, go with the flow, and let the scientists figure out how to save everyone.

The plotting of the show is generally weak, and I find my mind wandering, only to come back a minute or two later and realise that I've lost the thread of the episode. But it never seems to matter a whole lot. Things work themselves out without too much peril. In this episode, for example, I turned away for a minute or two, then turn back and there was a second robot.... Okay.

Of the rest of the cast, John Robinson and Don West are fine, and Judy is inoffensive. Not sure about Maureen. Sometimes I like her, sometimes she comes off as incredibly superior and condescending. Penny is a bit irritating, in a very authentically teenage way, and Will himself is the latest in the line of obnoxiously forthright and entitled kids on TV shows. I watched the original show when it was being repeated on Channel 4, when I was probably about eight years old, and I really liked Will and the robot back then. Of course, this is primarily a family show, so I guess there will be kids watching who will love this version of him.

Glad they apparently ditched all the extraneous characters, because most of them were annoying, and gave the show a very generic scifi show feel. The whole point of the original show was that it was Space Family Robinson, this family of characters (and Smith) and no one else.

Edited by Danny Franks.
0

Share Post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now