Media for Cagney & Lacey

I just learned that a reboot of C&L is in the works. Sarah Drew (formerly of Grey's Anatomy) is Cagney and (I think) Michelle Hurd is Lacey. Ving Rhiens (sp?) Is also in it.

Edited by craziness. Reason: Added info

Share Post

Yeah, the reboot was announced in January, the casting of the two leads last week, and then Ving Rhames, as a new character - maybe replacing Samuels in the chain of command, or maybe higher up the food chain, as a captain - today.

I liked Michelle Hurd a lot on L&O: SVU, missed her after she was gone, and hated the way her character was written out, and I like Rhames, but damn if I will watch this show.  Create a NEW police drama focused on a partnership between two women, told from a feminist point of view (I don't even know if they aim to replicate this), and exploring they myriad issues underlying crime in America, specifically NYC (again, no clue if they're keeping this aspect, or just capitalizing on the name), and I'd happily check it out.  But call those characters Christine Cagney and Mary Beth Lacey, and you can miss me.  Like Sharon Gless said: Just call them something else.

I don't like to wish ill of a project, since I can just not watch, but if this dies after the pilot, I will do a modified happy dance.

Share Post

On 3/20/2018 at 1:12 AM, Bastet said:

I don't like to wish ill of a project, since I can just not watch, but if this dies after the pilot, I will do a modified happy dance.

Get ready to do your happy dance, because CBS passed. I, myself, am doing a jumping up and down happy dance.

Share Post

Once I realized it was time for the upfronts, I meant to check on the C&L reboot, but got too lazy; thanks for posting.

I don't know that I would have watched, because the number of cop shows I've ever truly liked can be counted on one hand (this one, Cold Case, Major Crimes ... there may be one or two more, but they aren't coming to me right now), but had an original show centered around two women as partners, one of whom was played by Michelle Hurd, been announced, I may have tuned in.  I'd definitely have checked out the pilot had it been conceived as a feminist show like C&L was, and continued watching if it also realistically explored issues of class and race as well as gender.  But to hijack Christine Cagney and Mary Beth Lacey to do it -- I just couldn't get on board.  Some things are too special in my memories to be messed with.

Moving from reboot to revival, for anyone who doesn't already know, Tyne Daly has been cast in the upcoming Murphy Brown revival (airing on CBS starting in September; Thursdays, I think).  She'll be the new barkeep at Phil's, playing the late Phil's sister Phyllis, a character quite similar to Phil.  I think casting someone of Tyne's ability will keep it from feeling false and forced, like they just tried to slide someone into the Phil role and it didn't work.

Share Post