Season 1 Discussion

Discuss all episodes of the first season here. Netflix will release all episodes of this season on March 23.

Share Post

I watched the whole season and mostly liked it, but I wish for once a parent on tv would not give in when their child wants a pet. Especially when the kid had just hidden another pet in the house even though he knew that it was making his neighbor sick.

Share Post

I enjoyed the first season.  One thing that I think the show needs to tone down is the mooch aspect of Katie's mom.  There is a fine line of funny mooch and then mean mooch. Stealing wifi - funny. Taking a sick man's lunch - not funny.  Eating snacks at the neighbours - funny.  Taking stuff home - not funny.

Share Post

So, I'm working my way through the season and I'm almost done. I think it's a cute show and there are things that work, while other things don't. For example, who agrees to let their fourteen year old kid cook a huge Thanksgiving dinner by themselves? I mean, feel free to have them cook a meal for the family on any other night, but not on Thanksgiving. That's too much pressure for any kid to go through, especially since turkeys take way longer to cook than Alexa put it in for. 

Also, I was a bit bugged by The Play, Part Two, followed by the Support Group episode. For the record, I liked the Support Group episode, but I feel like they made Katie look to be the bad one in both episodes. She had to apologize both times. I think the former episode, especially, that was on Alexa for almost ruining Katie's play all because she was jealous...but then they had Katie apologize for focusing on the play? Sure, she wasn't entirely nice to Alexa on the night of the play, but Alexa was the one who was out of line. 

Otherwise, I do like both girls and I think the entire series has been decent for a kids show. Though, yeah, Katie's mother? They have her mooching a little too much. 

Share Post

I was thrilled to see a kids show where the adults aren't all morons. I can't stand the shows my kid watches (looking at you LabRats, Mr. Young, MightyMed).  In general I love the show, it's sweet and the friendship shown between the girls is admirable. I was moved to tears when Katie shaved her head- that's a huge move for anyone, especially a very conforming incoming freshman.   Also, I'm Asian-American and LOVED the casting of an Asian-American male (rarely seen in mixed race couples on tv I feel) and how he isn't some super nerd.  He doesn't have an accent, has quirks, etc.  Also liking the age appropriate parent casting! I'm about the same age at TAT and have a 13 year old.  I could see her having a 15 or 16 year old- vs women who are often cast as the moms who are only 28. 

A few nitpics- 

I was surprised that the girls didn't just talk to the principal and tell the truth afterwards and try to remove the suspension. 

I felt very bad for Jennifer with the wig price and thought Alexa's parents should have offered to buy it as a thank you. 

I didn't like how Jennifer and the younger brother acted while watching the game.  I thought the whole thing was tacky, especially eating all the food.

Between the two, Alexa is a more self centered friend.  You can see it beyond the Play II episode.  She didn't care about her friend's scholastic record and tried to get them both expelled.  She was fine with ruining the play.  I don't think Katie was too bad- she just asked Alexa to help fix the lighting cues.

I was watching it alone and then my husband offered to watch- he saw The Play II and the Support Group and wasn't impressed.  I hate it when two dud episodes come and you have to tell the person that the show normally isn't that bad.

Share Post