S05.E06: Icarus 2018.03.11

After the mysterious disappearance of a teacher, Endeavour finds himself investigating the dark and secret world of a public school.

Share Post

Wow...some threads wrapped up, many not but it was definitely a wrap-up that could be an end-of-show (has it been renewed?).  I'm so glad about the choices they made about the kill-offs (literal and figurative).

Share Post

Jeebus. This isn't the kind of detective show that makes me nervous, but I was totally tense and wound up about Morse and Thursday throughout. Then the lump in my throat at the funeral and as everyone filed out of Cowley for the last time.

I really wanted to give all those supercilious fourth form boys a kick on the shins.

I loved the opening with Morse settling in at the school -- had he quit the force since we last saw him? Heh.

The ITV narrator said the series would return next year, so it seems to have been renewed for #6. We'll see where the departmental merge takes us. Trewlove wormed her way into my heart and I'll miss her. Perhaps she'll be able to guest as a consultant from the Yard or something.

Will Joan and Endeavour finally get on the same romantic page at the same time? On one hand I've always liked them together, but what's the point of another unhappy ending for both? We know it can't last.

Share Post

Those schoolboys made my skin crawl the way they ended all their sentences with "sir." Especially all rapid fire like that. That and I found them all to just be really creepy looking.

Poor Fancy. It's worse than Jakes; just when you start to warm up to them, they're gone.

Now we know why Bright took to Trewlove like that. I'll miss her, too.

Thursday didn't die, so I'm extremely pleased about that. I can't deal with Fred and Win being at odds, though.

tumblr_m1e56tgYui1rqnz7wo1_500.gif

Share Post

The scene between Morse and Trewlove in their undercover flat when he asks about Fancy and she replies that she's going to the Yard and needs to put her career first at this point in her life -- Morse looks at her and quietly says that none of that matters. The look on his face about broke my damned heart.

I love Morse and Trewlove as supportive and fraternal co-workers and am grateful in the end that they never crossed over to romance.

Losing his savings was one way to get Thursday not to retire, but even though we saw it coming with his horrible brother, it was still a blow and the spillover damage to his marriage was regrettable. Very sweet of Joan to visit her dad and bring tea.

This was my favorite episode of the season and may be one of my top of all time.

Edited by 2727.

Share Post

Damn this series to leave us with such a superb episode so dense with emotion, the audience wanting more but we have to wait...

Have to watch it again to watch the actors' faces and performances....forget the murder mystery aspect.

Trewlove showing such emotional range, her character's personality and now she's gone...

Win so hurt and betrayed by Fred.

Fred and Joan making amends.

Bright apologizing for failing the station, his voice conveying his regrets.

Shaun Evans is so terrific, the poem reading at Fancy's funeral breaks your heart...

Then your heart soars with the hope of Morse and Joan....sigh...

Edited by humbleopinion.

Share Post

On 3/12/2018 at 11:04 AM, Popples said:

Those schoolboys made my skin crawl the way they ended all their sentences with "sir." Especially all rapid fire like that. That and I found them all to just be really creepy looking.

Poor Fancy. It's worse than Jakes; just when you start to warm up to them, they're gone.

Now we know why Bright took to Trewlove like that. I'll miss her, too.

Thursday didn't die, so I'm extremely pleased about that. I can't deal with Fred and Win being at odds, though.

tumblr_m1e56tgYui1rqnz7wo1_500.gif

Yea, those boys were very creepy indeed. They were obviously trying to rile Morse. Glad he didn't lose his composure and give them the satisfaction.

Very happy Thursday didn't die. I was holding my breath a bit. I would imagine that he & Morse will end up at the same station. Did Bright say if he was retiring or if he was going to be assigned to another location?

Share Post

Bright was a complex character that the series didn't take advantage of because all the characters are interesting...at least we'll see him on GoT.

Hopefully, Trewlove will pop back into Morse's life with The Yard lending a hand to the new station's cases...

We were treated with Trewlove/Morse married in an undercover sting... satisfying for fans...

Share Post

When we watched the scene where Fancy goes to the cottage to see Trewlove, we were both thinking he was going to blow their cover.

Share Post

Check your local PBS stations...Endeavor Season 5 begins tomorrow night in case you need to see it again...and we do....

Edited by humbleopinion.

Share Post