Season 2 Discussion

Well Season two turned out to be closer to season one than I had been led to believe. Overall I liked it a lot. Seems to have reached a point of closure but maybe there is hope for a season three. Certainly worth the time I took to watch it.

Share Post

I just finished binge watching this on Netflix. I definitely liked season one better. The second season didn't have a very strong plot. I actually found the storyline with Mr. Dipple and his automatons the most interesting. And I was hoping he and Esther would get together, but then he basically lied to her, telling her if she "died" she would be able to see her son, but really he just wanted a Bride of Frankenstein to keep him company. I'm very confused about Dipple though. He said he's lived longer than any other man, but I thought his father was Dr. Hervey's teacher, so he shouldn't be that old. And did he actually die, or was he just taking some kind of tonic to make him live longer? Since he could also see dead people, I'm guessing he must have died at some point too. Maybe both he and his father had been "alive" for a long time. But then was that woman really his sister?  I also read somewhere else that he is going to die now since he has no more potion, but I thought he had the formula for it written down. Also, what did the numbers on the bottles mean? They were around the 1700s. If they're numbered for how many days he's been taking it, that's only over 4 years. But if he only has to drink a bottle once a month, then that means he's been drinking it for 141 years. So many questions!

I thought the show did a great job of showing the horrible conditions that poor people lived in back then. So much dirt and filth, and the fact that an early death was pretty much a way of life.

Share Post

2 minutes ago, pezgirl7 said:

He said he's lived longer than any other man, but I thought his father was Dr. Hervey's teacher, so he shouldn't be that old. And did he actually die, or was he just taking some kind of tonic to make him live longer? Since he could also see dead people, I'm guessing he must have died at some point too. Maybe both he and his father had been "alive" for a long time. But then was that woman really his sister?  I also read somewhere else that he is going to die now since he has no more potion, but I thought he had the formula for it written down.

Sounds like Nicolas Flamel and the Sorcerer's Stone.  Except I think Dipple is more like Voldemort . . . .  Wonder if they'll bring up horcruxes or deathly hallows if there's a Season 3.

Share Post

On 3/9/2018 at 12:31 PM, pezgirl7 said:

I just finished binge watching this on Netflix. I definitely liked season one better. The second season didn't have a very strong plot. I actually found the storyline with Mr. Dipple and his automatons the most interesting. And I was hoping he and Esther would get together, but then he basically lied to her, telling her if she "died" she would be able to see her son, but really he just wanted a Bride of Frankenstein to keep him company. I'm very confused about Dipple though. He said he's lived longer than any other man, but I thought his father was Dr. Hervey's teacher, so he shouldn't be that old. And did he actually die, or was he just taking some kind of tonic to make him live longer? Since he could also see dead people, I'm guessing he must have died at some point too. Maybe both he and his father had been "alive" for a long time. But then was that woman really his sister?  I also read somewhere else that he is going to die now since he has no more potion, but I thought he had the formula for it written down. Also, what did the numbers on the bottles mean? They were around the 1700s. If they're numbered for how many days he's been taking it, that's only over 4 years. But if he only has to drink a bottle once a month, then that means he's been drinking it for 141 years. So many questions!

I agree with pretty much all of this. I liked Esther but season 2 just felt like it was all over the place. There was the plague and the murders of the clergymen and the whole thing with the Parish Watch and Dipple and his automatons and his potions and whatever happened to Lady Hervey and it was just kind of a mess of a season.

Share Post

On 3/9/2018 at 3:31 PM, pezgirl7 said:

I'm very confused about Dipple though. He said he's lived longer than any other man, but I thought his father was Dr. Hervey's teacher, so he shouldn't be that old. And did he actually die, or was he just taking some kind of tonic to make him live longer? Since he could also see dead people, I'm guessing he must have died at some point too. Maybe both he and his father had been "alive" for a long time. But then was that woman really his sister?  I also read somewhere else that he is going to die now since he has no more potion, but I thought he had the formula for it written down. Also, what did the numbers on the bottles mean? They were around the 1700s. If they're numbered for how many days he's been taking it, that's only over 4 years. But if he only has to drink a bottle once a month, then that means he's been drinking it for 141 years. So many questions!

I agree. There were a lot of things left up in the air about Dipple, who was by far the most intriguing mystery of this season. The potions though looked to be labeled by year. The one he drank had 1834/1835 written on the side. Then when the camera panned out to show all the bottles in the box, the first bottle had the year 1742 on it. Based on the labeling, it looked as if he’d been taking the potion every 8 years, which added up to nearly 100 years between then and the timeframe of the show. Now if he ages more slowly with the potion or don’t age at all, I’d guess he’s been alive at least 130-140 years. His dad might’ve been able to train Dr. Hervey because he too was taking the potion and thus lived way past his expiration date. But if that’s the case where is he now? Did death finally catch up to him? Or is he in hiding somewhere?

Anyway, like others I didn’t think this season was that great. It kept my interest but it was just okay. I still don’t understand why Dr. Hervey suddenly needed new hearts for his experiments? Why couldn’t he just use the heart that the person came with ala Marlott?

I too would’ve liked a clearer explanation with regards to what happened to Jemima. It is obvious she torched herself out of guilt and to ensure her brother would not resurrect her, but what led her to take such extreme actions? And what happened to her rich husband who as I understood was in part funding her brother’s research?

Again, I found Dipple had the most interesting story. I loved the voice of the actor who played him, very smooth and deep. I wanted him and Ester to have something special. They had nice chemistry, but unfortunately the lies and crazy got in the way. 

Lastly, I was hoping they’d give Nightingale a brain cell or two, but unfortunately he remained as clueless as he was in Season 1, and didn’t see the light until he had no other choice. Of course by then it was too late. His presence and death served no purpose except to tie Dr. Hervey to the murders, which they could’ve done without him if written that way. 

The show seems to have wrapped things up. So I can’t imagine what they’d do if they are renewed for a third season, not that I’d watch. At this point, I have no interest in seeing more of this. 

Edited by Enero.

Share Post