Series 4: Back in Time for Tea (2018)

New series, new presenter, new family. This series focuses on Northern working families and how their life and food changed in the past 100 years.

Share Post

It's funny that when we think of "Tea time" here in North America (or perhaps it's me?) it's a posh kind of thing. But the regional difference in Britain, it seems, is that Tea is the evening meal in the north of England and Dinner or Supper is the name for it in London and other southern regions.

I haven't been able to catch an episode of this, so I don't know if that is explained, but I read something about it on another forum.

Share Post

17 hours ago, Anothermi said:

It's funny that when we think of "Tea time" here in North America (or perhaps it's me?) it's a posh kind of thing. But the regional difference in Britain, it seems, is that Tea is the evening meal in the north of England and Dinner or Supper is the name for it in London and other southern regions.

I haven't been able to catch an episode of this, so I don't know if that is explained, but I read something about it on another forum.

The show doesn't go into it because for a lot of people in the North, this is assumed knowledge. They do discuss how some people say "pantry" (posh) vs "larder" (less posh).

I watched the first two episodes and I am liking the family. They have one with two daughters and one boy so the comparisons can't be helped. The girls whinge a bit too much about the meats, but that's about it.

Share Post

Well, I've finally seen the 1st episode and they did kind of address what meals are called up North. Breakfast: seems to be a universally accepted name. Dinner: not Lunch. Tea: not supper nor dinner. One of the daughters remarked "the proper way" when the show's host laid out the meal names for them.

Dinner is another meal name that varies from place to place. My Dad & I were discussing this a couple of years back when he'd moved to a senior's home. We used to call the evening meal "dinner" on Sunday's or special occasions and supper week days but it morphed into just Dinner for the evening meal. But at the senior's home the mid-day meal was called "dinner".  It seemed, in that case, the defining factor was that the big meal was mid-day and the lighter meal was the evening one - hence supper.  However, it may just have been what the admin of the home were used to instead of the reason my dad and I came up with.

Anyway... I'm really enjoying this iteration and I'm happy  to have someone other than Giles as the host (although I didn't hate him). I did enjoy the Robshaw's from the earlier ones, but it was refreshing this time to have the woman-of-the-house know her way around a kitchen - even things she'd never cooked before, she knew what they were. In general she came across as capable and intelligent - even when she cried while cutting up the hare. I also really liked that they related to the lives of the working class... if only because that would be the lens I generally view these shows through.

I wonder, is this series (season) going to be 6 episodes and bring us up to the present? They covered 2 decades (more or less) this episode, so 6 should bring us up to the present.

Share Post