Season 5 Discussion

12 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

But as a course in a turn-of-the-century classroom in a town big enough to have a proper dressmaker, a restaurant, and a railway station coming, its inclusion probably isn’t as out there as it might seem on first glance.

I think that it's odd also generally: there are so few children that they are taught together despite of different age and abilities. Part of pupils should silently write or draw when the others are taught.     

Share Post

1 hour ago, Roseanna said:

I think that it's odd also generally: there are so few children that they are taught together despite of different age and abilities. Part of pupils should silently write or draw when the others are taught.     

I agree, based solely on my”Little House on the Prairie” reading. 

Share Post

Does ANYONE know when Season 5 will be released on Netflix? My wife and I have been watching and finished Season 4 last month. I know they've wrapped production on Season 5. My poor wife keeps checking Netflix every week (we don't have the Hallmark Channel) and is dying for Season 5 to be released. 

Any info? Thanks!!

Share Post

It's unlikely they'll release it on Netflix until Season 6, which I believe airs in Feb. 2019. 

What has happened to Pastor Frank?  I'm about halfway through season 5 and they have not even mentioned him at all. I hope they're not angling for Bill/Abigail..... Pastor Frank was actually a lovely character.  Season 5 is really inane compared to the sweet and innocent nature of S1. Really wish hallmark would just allow the story to be played as it deserves... 

Share Post

It’s disappointing that DL has left the show, but since he was missing so much it’s like it hardly matters to me. I enjoyed the chemistry between Elizabeth and Jack, especially in the earlier seasons. The predictable pregnancy was typical Halmark. Let me guess. It’ll be a boy and Elizabeth will name him Jack! 

The wig needs to go! She could cut her hair in grief...

Schooling: no way would ALL the children be learning the same lesson. Perhaps having Elizabeth working with smaller groups on age appropriate lessons. 

Cody: Can’t stand the kid! He’s obnoxious, not cute.

Costumes and Set: 1) Colours too bright. 2) Hairstyles are too modern. 3) Even is Season 1 when the kids are making lunches, oranges were not available in the frontier or were crazy expensive! 

WW1: Canada went to war in 1914. Why hasn’t this been mentioned?

Share Post

After killing off Jack, I know I won't be watching the show.

I know that it was DL's decision to leave and I read somewhere that Hallmark and the show runners knew about it a year and a half prior his last episode, which makes it probably around the time they were filming season 4, and may be that's why he missed the second half of the season too. But even in season 3, especially in the first few episodes of it, he had limited screen time (compared to seasons 1 and 2) with all the knew characters popping up out of no where. May be he wanted more screen time, may be he didn't like that his name in the credits went from the second spot to the next to the last one after 'with', which  I know shouldn't be a problem since they say that that spot is as important as the second spot, but still. Or may be his personal reason's that aren't even work related, and he just doesn't want to talk about it.

As for Lori Loughlin's statement that the crew could lose their jobs if the show gets canceled because of his departure, one can also argue that they kept their jobs for five years because of him or because of the Jack/Elizabeth pairing.

Share Post

I originally thought there was a dispute with Hallmark and that is why Daniel left, but here we are at Countdown to Christmas, and he is in another Hallmark Christmas movie. So, what was the problem that he had to leave When Calls the Heart? Obviously it was not Hallmark. And my last question is - if he is in a movie, not a series, why can't he talk in his native tongue - you know, Australian? He is much cuter when he has the accent!

Share Post

On 11/3/2018 at 3:59 AM, lora said:

may be he didn't like that his name in the credits went from the second spot to the next to the last one after 'with', which  I know shouldn't be a problem since they say that that spot is as important as the second spot, but still.

That's very interesting, I didn't realize his credit changed.  Do you remember which season?  That wouldn't be something he didn't like, that's a perk and would have been negotiated.  Now I'm really curious between which seasons it was changed.

2 hours ago, jlc said:

I originally thought there was a dispute with Hallmark and that is why Daniel left, but here we are at Countdown to Christmas, and he is in another Hallmark Christmas movie. So, what was the problem that he had to leave When Calls the Heart? Obviously it was not Hallmark. And my last question is - if he is in a movie, not a series, why can't he talk in his native tongue - you know, Australian? He is much cuter when he has the accent!

I suspect it's something as simple as he didn't want to be tied down and Hallmark didn't sign him to a long term contract to start with.  Since he went part time in S4, my guess is his initial contract may have been for no more than 3 seasons and they got him to agree to part time for 2 more so they could wrap up (aka drag out) Jack and Elizabeth's story. 

I agree his accent is adorable.  I think only royalty gets accents on Hallmark though, so they need to toss the next royal movie his way.

Share Post

4 hours ago, JenMD said:

That's very interesting, I didn't realize his credit changed.  Do you remember which season?  That wouldn't be something he didn't like, that's a perk and would have been negotiated.  Now I'm really curious between which seasons it was changed.

It was in season two. His and Lori Loughlin's name were moved to the end after 'with' and 'and'.

Share Post

Thanks, @lora, very interesting.  I wonder if Hallmark actually just signed everybody for one season, initially.  Strange.

Share Post

15 hours ago, JenMD said:

Thanks, @lora, very interesting.  I wonder if Hallmark actually just signed everybody for one season, initially.  Strange.

You are welcome.

Share Post

After killing off Jack I'm no longer watching the show, the whole show was Elizabeth and Jack and all the rest was too campy and boring for me to watch. However just seeing a new add for a Christmas movie staring the actor that played Jack (Daniel), I just have to add a comment.  

When Calls the Heart became a vanity piece for the actress that plays Abigail (Lori), I had read an article (which I tried to find but could not) that was an interview with Daniel and he said that story lines were being created by the actors and that the idea for the orphan (Cody) was Lori's. Then he says something about how he is trying to add some things but he was unclear about what he was suggesting.

So when Lori said something to the affect that "they gave us everything we wanted", she actually meant it. She actually thinks that she is the show, that the only reason people watch is because of her and by proxy Erin are on the show. Dan was written off the show and now it seems with the promise of another Hallmark show he could star in. Dan had no "personal" reasons to leave, this was a business decision made by the producers of this show. If you have the stomach to do so (which I can honestly say I can't anymore), you can read how Lori is saying in interviews that the ratings for the last show (which I did not watch) were sky high and how much the fans loved it and how we can all grieve together and then move on to a show all about her and Elizabeth.

This was a calculated move to make Lori front and center and I'm still so upset with myself for buying into this ridiculous but endearing show. For 5 seasons, all the marketing was Jack and Elizabeth, I fast forwarded past all scenes except with J&E. Even the scenes when she is writing letters to Jack were awesome. He did not need to be on the screen for his presents to be felt. Now he is dead and so is this show to me. I can't bear to even look at pictures from this show, or even watch any show with these actors. I'm just so sad about it.

But Fanfiction is helping me cope and to me these characters live for many years after the beautiful wedding, with 4 kids in a country house and they lived happily ever after!

Edited by free2think. Reason: spelling error

Share Post