Jump to content

S01.E05: Time Is of the Essence 2018.02.07

From TVGuide.com

Quote

The family anxiously waits while Drew undergoes surgery; Chitoka surprises even the doctor when she pushes herself further than ever before; things take an unexpected turn when Naomi and her boyfriend go on their first dinner date post-surgery.

0

Share Post


Link to post

The Doctor is so good looking, especially in those scrubs. 

6

Share Post


Link to post

Drew, honey, I love you, but please find a pair of pants with an intact crotch.

Did he actually say that he will be happy when he can “dress to the side”or something like that? I assume he was referring to his package? 😂

7

Share Post


Link to post

The family outing for pool aerobics was awesome. After 3yrs Chikota has returned to society- I can see the awe in her face and hear it in her voice. Swimming and water activities are great ways to burn calories, I wonder why we don’t see them more on this show. 

But 10lbs? Chikota, 10lbs?! On a liquid diet? You can do better than that!

The season finale is so soon, will there be a second season? I like this family. 

11

Share Post


Link to post

I like this family too; they are all so supportive of each other.  The show is also showing real issues people who have eating disorders deal with.  I hope it comes back too.

7

Share Post


Link to post

I watched My 600 lb. Life right before this, and the patient, Karina, was surrounded by the most unsupportive family members. It was really nice to then watch this show and see a bunch of family members coming together to support, love and help each other. I really love this show.

9

Share Post


Link to post

^^ I was coming here to say just that, but gardendiva beat me to it, lol. What a contrast between the sullen, indifferent attitude and total lack of affect from the 600 lb show family, and the smiles and happiness and total encouragement shown by this family. I know with which family I'd prefer to hang with, plus Dr. Proctor (love the rhyming there) is pretty easy on the eyes too. Rooting hard for all of them, and I hope we get to continue to follow their journey

Edited by scootypuffjr.
11

Share Post


Link to post
3 hours ago, gardendiva said:

Drew, honey, I love you, but please find a pair of pants with an intact crotch.

Did he actually say that he will be happy when he can “dress to the side”or something like that? I assume he was referring to his package? 😂

I think he said that he wanted to lose so much weight, that his body will fit inside one pant leg. Like the before and after pics people do when they lose a lot of weight. 

7

Share Post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, Hero said:

I think he said that he wanted to lose so much weight, that his body will fit inside one pant leg. Like the before and after pics people do when they lose a lot of weight. 

That's right Hero.  I was confused at first, like Gardendiva, and had to replay it to understand what he was saying.

I was absolutely side-eyeing Chitoka's measly 10 pound weight loss. 

Props to the family, especially Chitoka (!!) and Drew, for getting into the pool.  That looked so fun and encouraging.

5

Share Post


Link to post

I assume that Drew has to split the pants in order for his body fit in into them, right?  

It did appear that Naomi's focus on her new way of eating was annoying her boyfriend, when they were out dining.  I sort of see his point though.  Maybe, it's just me, but, in most sit down restaurants, why is there trouble getting something you can eat? And you can always take your leftovers home...so, what's the deal?

I hope that Chitoka does well, but, she seemed pretty shaky on following directions for her diet for just 2 weeks.  WHY can't they accept medical advice?  I suppose it's part of their disorder and they just can't stop with the unhealthy foods.  Ultimately, it may be very problematic.  You know there is noncompliance with the diet when the patient prefaces their comment with, "It's challenging adjusting to the diet."  Translation: I'm not following the diet.  For some reason they call it not being able to adjust.  lol

7

Share Post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Hero said:

I think he said that he wanted to lose so much weight, that his body will fit inside one pant leg. Like the before and after pics people do when they lose a lot of weight. 

Oh gosh...I am so embarrassed now. I do remember him saying the one pant leg thing in a previous episode, but the thing he said last night right away made me think he was referring to his “package”, LOL! I should have rewound and rewatched that part but I was knitting at the same time. Oops! 

1

Share Post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I assume that Drew has to split the pants in order for his body fit in into them, right?  

It did appear that Naomi's focus on her new way of eating was annoying her boyfriend, when they were out dining.  I sort of see his point though.  Maybe, it's just me, but, in most sit down restaurants, why is there trouble getting something you can eat? And you can always take your leftovers home...so, what's the deal?

I hope that Chitoka does well, but, she seemed pretty shaky on following directions for her diet for just 2 weeks.  WHY can't they accept medical advice?  I suppose it's part of their disorder and they just can't stop with the unhealthy foods.  Ultimately, it may be very problematic.  You know there is noncompliance with the diet when the patient prefaces their comment with, "It's challenging adjusting to the diet."  Translation: I'm not following the diet.  For some reason they call it not being able to adjust.  lol

All the new restrictions, foods, experiences are also probably nowhere near as interesting to the boyfriend (or anyone else not going through the experience) as to Naomi. 

When someone is going through such a major life change, I'm sure it's all consuming to her.  But maybe not to the partner. 

2

Share Post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, gardendiva said:

Oh gosh...I am so embarrassed now. I do remember him saying the one pant leg thing in a previous episode, but the thing he said last night right away made me think he was referring to his “package”, LOL! I should have rewound and rewatched that part but I was knitting at the same time. Oops! 

😅 Nothing to be embarrassed about. I thought what he said was really random. 

2

Share Post


Link to post
6 hours ago, gardendiva said:

 

Did he actually say that he will be happy when he can “dress to the side”or something like that? I assume he was referring to his package? 😂

I THOUGHT he meant that his goal was to be able to fit both legs into one leg of the pants he's wearing now ... ETA: My bad, others confirmed this before I got to the bottom of the posts!

I am a little concerned about Naomi and her boyfriend. I get the feeling he's just maybe not comfortable with being part of the show (you can tell he loves her and is incredibly supportive and loved her when she was heavier as well ... perhaps he just didn't know what he was signing up for ... and I remember how embarrassed he was when she started talking about their sex life on TV). 

Also, I caught in passing (I don't know if this was the first time it was used?) that Chitoka's nickname is "Tick-Tock" and I think that is absolutely adorable. 

I do love this show because I love this family. They may be the single most well-adjusted and loving family on reality TV, period. I want them to adopt me! I'll cook nice unfattening food ... oh, who am I kidding I can't cook. But I'll let them share all the Lean Cuisines in my freezer!

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap.
9

Share Post


Link to post
1 hour ago, CouchTater said:

All the new restrictions, foods, experiences are also probably nowhere near as interesting to the boyfriend (or anyone else not going through the experience) as to Naomi. 

It's annoying to go out to eat with someone obsessing over what they can or can't have... she should just order according to her plan & not drone on about it (I haven't seen the show yet, so just a general comment).

15 hours ago, Hero said:

The Doctor is so good looking, especially in those scrubs. 

I'm in agreement with others here on this one. If this doctor even took my pulse I might get aroused. 

7

Share Post


Link to post

It looks like next week is the finale (?), and I will be so disappointed to stop with their journey.  I definitely hope we get another season.  Does anyone know how the ratings have been?

I, too, noticed the contrast between Karina's family on My 600 Pound Life and this family.  But not only that, there's the difference between the "patients" on this show versus that.  These all have enthusiasm and life in their voices, and Chitoka in particular was radiant when she was talking about the possible improvements to come.  (However, girl really does need to step up her game, given that she only lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks on the "liquid" diet.)

4

Share Post


Link to post

I also like how this show allows the people to have their dignity and does not exploit them like a sideshow attraction. No disgusting shower/toilet scenes. Everyone is well adjusted and functional, nobody is mentally ill, and everyone seems to care about grooming and hygiene no matter their size. It is refreshing to watch.

11

Share Post


Link to post

Did anyone else wonder if Dr. Proctor approved Chitoka because the alternative was letting her die? Because I can't imagine he was thrilled with her 10 lb. weight loss (and he said as much), and it doesn't seem like she's demonstrated the discipline necessary to eat properly post-surgery. I suspect this is sort of a last-ditch effort on this part.

8

Share Post


Link to post
3 hours ago, the-grey-lady said:

Did anyone else wonder if Dr. Proctor approved Chitoka because the alternative was letting her die? Because I can't imagine he was thrilled with her 10 lb. weight loss (and he said as much), and it doesn't seem like she's demonstrated the discipline necessary to eat properly post-surgery. I suspect this is sort of a last-ditch effort on this part.

Chitoka's surgery could've made a good cliffhanger, if they had wanted to drag it into a new season.

Edited by gonecrackers.
0

Share Post


Link to post

I wonder if cousin Stella would get weight loss surgery. I was suspicious about her at first because of how pleased she seemed when Drew ate badly and she brought him a fast food breakfast before his consultation with the doctor. I could see how much she cares about Drew after his surgery, so that makes me like her. 

The smoothie Chitoka made looked like a lot of carbs/sugar. I think I saw juice in there?

One more thing, I can't keep my eyes off of Dr. Procter!

4 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

I'm in agreement with others here on this one. If this doctor even took my pulse I might get aroused. 

My heart would be racing! Lol.

0

Share Post


Link to post

I'd like to see another season of this show for sure. I like it better than My 600 Pound Life.  I'd like to follow this family for a good while. They have enough members to feature various patients getting surgery to continue for a couple of years! lol  Let's hope their obesity issue will not continue with the younger kids.  That's one thing that gets my nerve is when a morbidly obese patient gets surgery and loses a bunch of weight, change their diet, get in shape, etc.  AND they continue to feed their kids garbage, fast food, processed food, sweets in large quantities.  It makes me wonder if they aren't eating vicariously through their kids.  It's not a kind thing to do to the kids though.  They deserve a life of healthy eating too. 

3

Share Post


Link to post

I totally understand Naomi's food concerns after surgery.  I had weight loss surgery and would simply look at the restaurant menu before arriving so I would know what I wanted without having to decide on the spot.  There were times I ordered from the appetizer menu or split a meal with a friend.  I gave them any soup or salad that came with the meal and I took a small portion of the main entree.  Naomi could also order what makes the best leftover.  I never wanted anyone to feel like my decision to have surgery should impact what they wanted to eat or where they wanted to go.  If you put a little effort into it you can eat anyplace.  I successfully lost 103 pounds and I've kept it off for the past 2 years.  I also lost 10 pounds on the liquid diet but my starting weight was 233, not 600+.  So I call BS on her really sticking with suggested foods for the liquid diet.  

Overall, I do love this family.  The big difference is this family is still alive and talk about the future and on My 600 Pound Life they seem to eat while waiting to die. 

5

Share Post


Link to post
4 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

It's annoying to go out to eat with someone obsessing over what they can or can't have... she should just order according to her plan & not drone on about it (I haven't seen the show yet, so just a general comment).

Too, I think part of the problem was how much was wasted, even if it was carted home.  I have a family member notorious for wasting money (usually not hers), in that manner.  Takes things home to spoil in her fridge.
In real life--as opposed to TV--, you can check the menu for most places online, so you know what to go for.
How old is Chitoka?  I think she's younger than I originally thought.
How is Beverly doing?
I was shocked that next week is the finale, and I certainly hope they'll be back.

2

Share Post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, auntjess said:

How old is Chitoka?  I think she's younger than I originally thought.

She's 49

1

Share Post


Link to post

Thanks, that's about what I'd thought originally, then with the cousin thing, wondered if she closer to Naomi in age.

0

Share Post


Link to post
12 hours ago, mellowjoi said:

I totally understand Naomi's food concerns after surgery.  I had weight loss surgery and would simply look at the restaurant menu before arriving so I would know what I wanted without having to decide on the spot.  There were times I ordered from the appetizer menu or split a meal with a friend.  I gave them any soup or salad that came with the meal and I took a small portion of the main entree.  Naomi could also order what makes the best leftover.  I never wanted anyone to feel like my decision to have surgery should impact what they wanted to eat or where they wanted to go.  If you put a little effort into it you can eat anyplace.  I successfully lost 103 pounds and I've kept it off for the past 2 years.  I also lost 10 pounds on the liquid diet but my starting weight was 233, not 600+.  So I call BS on her really sticking with suggested foods for the liquid diet.  

Overall, I do love this family.  The big difference is this family is still alive and talk about the future and on My 600 Pound Life they seem to eat while waiting to die. 

Congratulations!  It sounds like you really have made some changes.  I agree about Chitoka.  If she couldn't do what she was supposed to do for 2 weeks.....odd, imo. 

0

Share Post


Link to post

I'm sure the restaurant scene was a production set-up, so I can't fault Naomi. "OK, honey, now what we'd like is for you and Mike to sit down and order a meal. This will give you a chance to do some exposition on what its like to go to a restaurant after surgery. Sound good?"

I think Mike was kind of a dick to whinge about food being wasted. You can take it home! He surprised me, up till now I'd thought of him as warm and supportive, but last night he was terse and nitpicky and a jerk. Jesus, Naomi is taking on a big challenging life change, and you're whining about a few nachos? Maybe they'd better hold off on having kids after all. Someone ought to tell him that pregnancy, childbirth, and caring for an infant might make Naomi a little testy sometimes.

5

Share Post


Link to post
15 hours ago, mellowjoi said:

I totally understand Naomi's food concerns after surgery.  I had weight loss surgery and would simply look at the restaurant menu before arriving so I would know what I wanted without having to decide on the spot.  There were times I ordered from the appetizer menu or split a meal with a friend.  I gave them any soup or salad that came with the meal and I took a small portion of the main entree.  Naomi could also order what makes the best leftover.  I never wanted anyone to feel like my decision to have surgery should impact what they wanted to eat or where they wanted to go.  If you put a little effort into it you can eat anyplace.  I successfully lost 103 pounds and I've kept it off for the past 2 years.  I also lost 10 pounds on the liquid diet but my starting weight was 233, not 600+.  So I call BS on her really sticking with suggested foods for the liquid diet.  

Overall, I do love this family.  The big difference is this family is still alive and talk about the future and on My 600 Pound Life they seem to eat while waiting to die. 

I love this family, too, and want to know what happens to them down the road.  It looks like the finale is going to be a big reveal, showing them all lighter in weight.  But one thing I like about 600 lbs. is that the patients are followed for an entire year, and then some of them are shown later on, too.  I want so much for these folks to be able to keep the weight off long-term.

I felt bad for Naomi for losing her boyfriend over the restaurant stuff--I'm sure that wasn't the only thing, but it's all we saw.  As you say, there are lots of strategies for dealing with eating out, none of them the kind of thing that would make other people uncomfortable, and I'm sure Naomi would have figured them out in time.  It's a shame she wasn't better prepared for this first dinner date, and it's a shame her boyfriend wasn't a little more understanding.  And it's a shame they didn't talk about it beforehand.  It's possible he's one of those guys we see pretty often on 600 lbs. who are not actually happy about their girlfriends' weight loss, whether it's because it threatens their role as care-giver or because they worry that the girlfriend will be so attractive she'll find another boyfriend.  Since Naomi didn't need a care-giver, I incline to the latter--she is gorgeous, and she was gorgeous when she was fatter, too.

5

Share Post


Link to post

It was an interesting time for Naomi's bf to bolt. I doubt it was the restaurant alone. It was possibly her entire lifestyle change - maybe he doesn't eat healthy & doesn't want anything to do with it. Maybe he did secretly prefer her heavier. I say 'secretly' because she never mentioned weight being a thing for him either way. He also complained of her being 'moody'. She was adjusting to huge changes & still learning how to avoid food as entertainment, comfort, etc. That will probably be the most difficult part. If he couldn't deal & hang in there with her he certainly wasn't worth her time. Naomi seemed okay in the previews so I hope she keeps going strong. She has that amazing support system with all those people around her, & that's more than most people have.

3

Share Post


Link to post
21 hours ago, the-grey-lady said:

Did anyone else wonder if Dr. Proctor approved Chitoka because the alternative was letting her die?

It must have been.  A recent 600 Lb Lifer, Liz, was like, and the rules were suspended, but she was someone who seemed to have lost all hope.
At least Chitoka has people to keep her going.
 

0

Share Post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, auntjess said:
21 hours ago, the-grey-lady said:

Did anyone else wonder if Dr. Proctor approved Chitoka because the alternative was letting her die?

It must have been.  A recent 600 Lb Lifer, Liz, was like, and the rules were suspended, but she was someone who seemed to have lost all hope.
At least Chitoka has people to keep her going.
 

I kind of wondered if the show pressured due to filming & wanting to have a 'reveal' show.  Dr. Proctor didn't look thrilled to be approving her, & he seemed like he was trying to justify his decision (which maybe wasn't totally his).

She will have lots of support though, so that's a huge bonus for her.

0

Share Post


Link to post

Chitoka still has to pass tests that determine if she's healthy enough for surgery thought, right?  

0

Share Post


Link to post
On 2/8/2018 at 9:30 AM, bengaltoo said:

I like this family too; they are all so supportive of each other.  The show is also showing real issues people who have eating disorders deal with.  I hope it comes back too.

yes they are all so much nicer than the 600lb'rs.

Who are usually psychologically damaged in some way 

On 2/9/2018 at 12:01 PM, gonecrackers said:

It was an interesting time for Naomi's bf to bolt. I doubt it was the restaurant alone. It was possibly her entire lifestyle change - maybe he doesn't eat healthy & doesn't want anything to do with it. Maybe he did secretly prefer her heavier. I say 'secretly' because she never mentioned weight being a thing for him either way. He also complained of her being 'moody'. She was adjusting to huge changes & still learning how to avoid food as entertainment, comfort, etc. That will probably be the most difficult part. If he couldn't deal & hang in there with her he certainly wasn't worth her time. Naomi seemed okay in the previews so I hope she keeps going strong. She has that amazing support system with all those people around her, & that's more than most people have.

Did not see this ep yet

but he was probably just fine with the status quo and suddenly it's changed 

0

Share Post


Link to post
On 2/8/2018 at 12:10 PM, gardendiva said:

Oh gosh...I am so embarrassed now. I do remember him saying the one pant leg thing in a previous episode, but the thing he said last night right away made me think he was referring to his “package”, LOL! I should have rewound and rewatched that part but I was knitting at the same time. Oops! 

Don't be embarrassed! Your post gave me the heartiest laugh I've had in ages!

1

Share Post


Link to post

I am really jealous/impressed with Chitoka's "side splits" sitting position when she is in bed.  I can't get my legs splayed to the sides nearly that far.  Well, not both legs at once like her.

0

Share Post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now