Season Three Talk: FFwSB

Depressing and funny as always. Nothing says "journalism" like some third-string fuckwad from Fox News trying to find unfortunate souls, and then we see a bunch on a raft, along with what sounds like a kid crying. Also . . . so if one guy can't make a raft, no one can make a raft without help from the deep pockets of a major political party? I imagine there's a lot of turnover at the FF staff, from all the people forced to watch Fox News and rage-quitting over their bias.

Two gubernatorial rivals actually get along with each other? Maybe the U.S. should give Vermont to Canada.

Share Post

17 hours ago, possibilities said:

Lack of broadband is a problem in rural parts of western Massachusetts (where I live), also. It's very expensive to wire less densely populated areas, and the mountainous terrain makes wireless service impractical. None of the corporate entities who supply service will do it (we don't have cable tv, either, in most places-- there is just no fiber anywhere). People rely on dial up (!!!) or satellite service (if they can get it, which also depends on things like terrain, and which is slow, unreliable, and very expensive). It's absolutely a problem and the number 1 issue in a lot of places. Basically, it needs to be done by a non-profit/government funded entity, and that is a bureaucratic nightmare even when people are willing to raise taxes and bond for it, because there are actually regulatory obstacles to doing it even when it's funded. I have no trouble believing that practicality and desperation overcome prejudices when it comes to putting broadband up against any other concern.

Ashley's story was fun, and if  you live out here, it's totally credible.

same here. what is the most frustrating is there is broadband mere miles away. i have a bad feeling i may not see it in my lifetime. no cable either. i pay literally hundreds of dollars a month for direct tv/internet (limited amount  of date (verizon sucks) go over every month) and smart phone. i have written to every company and every rep i can think of. nothing. they don't care.

21 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Hilarious Freudian slip that Fox tweeted "white power" instead of "white powder."

The news is so depressing and upsetting and maddening. If I let myself think too much about it all, I really despair and start to sink into a real depression. But then there was Ashley's Vermont piece. It's nice to see some civility in the political world. That buoyed me up a bit.

on one the talk shows, forget which one, they said something like "auto correct does not change powder to power unless you type that in a lot!"

Share Post

5 hours ago, msrachelj said:

same here. what is the most frustrating is there is broadband mere miles away. i have a bad feeling i may not see it in my lifetime. no cable either. i pay literally hundreds of dollars a month for direct tv/internet (limited amount  of date (verizon sucks) go over every month) and smart phone. i have written to every company and every rep i can think of. nothing. they don't care.

on one the talk shows, forget which one, they said something like "auto correct does not change powder to power unless you type that in a lot!"

Is moving a few miles not an option?

Share Post

Vermonter here!  Unfortunately, according to a recent VPR poll, Ms Christine Hallquist has almost no chance of unseating Gov. Scott, who yes, is a "nice guy," but he hired a virulent GOP-right winger as his chief of staff who refuses to work with any Democrat (the Legislature is Democrat-majority).  Legislators who used to meet with legislator Scott on a friendly basis to develop bipartisan legislation are stymied by his administration and find Governor Scott is no longer available.  And Scott is kind of dumb, too.  But he publicly disavows Trump (good) and signed some anti-gun legislation (better!), so he will pull moderate Dems enough to make up for the few "gun nuts" who vowed to kick him out of office.  Unfortunately for Christine, she's not gonna win.

And yes, Ashley, we are nice and well-informed, mostly, but an African-American legislator just decided not to run for reelection because of nasty racist posts on her social media.  So even Vermont is not a paradise!  There's a lot of ignorance and stupid here.

Share Post

On 10/26/2018 at 1:22 PM, scrb said:

Is moving a few miles not an option?

seriously? moving to another home? i guess you are not a homeowner. no, it's not easy at all for many reasons. wish it were that simple to solve the problem. 

Share Post

10 hours ago, msrachelj said:

seriously? moving to another home? i guess you are not a homeowner. no, it's not easy at all for many reasons. wish it were that simple to solve the problem. 

Also, around here, it would mean moving entire communities. We may be sparsely populated, but think about moving 400 households! It's not practical on any level. People may have been here for along time, before the internet was even a thing. My town was founded in the 1700s. And that's just one of many of these rural communities in the region.

Share Post

SNL Knows Vermont has a diversity problem

On 10/27/2018 at 1:05 PM, Red Bridey said:

And yes, Ashley, we are nice and well-informed, mostly, but an African-American legislator just decided not to run for reelection because of nasty racist posts on her social media.  So even Vermont is not a paradise!  There's a lot of ignorance and stupid here.

Share Post

LOL, Hanahope!  My, Vermont has been featured on comedy shows recently, hasn't it? I had seen that skit.  We are one of the whitest states in the Union, it's true, but we have a very small population.  And I think one winter of below zero temps for more than a week and two feet of snow might chase away the White Southern Supremicist demographic.  Vermont is gorgeous in the autumn, but it's unforgiving in February.

Share Post

The interview with the Philly DA was good, and spotlighted some really simple fixes that can at least  chip away at our incarceration problem.  And I admit I laughed at the description of Gritty as Elmo on meth.

Share Post

I also enjoyed the interview with the DA and with the coalition that works with him. Makes me not lose all hope.

Share Post

Steve King was always a vile piece of shit. Samantha's piece about him made me want to do vile acts of violence on his forehead with a ball peen hammer.

8 hours ago, attica said:

And I admit I laughed at the description of Gritty as Elmo on meth.

Laughing at he Philadelphia Flyers new mascot will never grow old.

Share Post

On 11/1/2018 at 11:39 AM, peeayebee said:

I also enjoyed the interview with the DA and with the coalition that works with him. Makes me not lose all hope.

Right?  I live here in Philly and had no idea that he was working that closely with the community.  

23 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:
On 11/1/2018 at 9:33 AM, attica said:

And I admit I laughed at the description of Gritty as Elmo on meth.

Laughing at he Philadelphia Flyers new mascot will never grow old.

Y'all gonna leave Gritty alone!

Share Post

22 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Y'all gonna leave Gritty alone!

As a fiftysomething lifelong fan of the Pittsburgh Penguins from Canada, lemme just think. Hmmmmm, NO!!! >:D

Share Post

What the heck was with that last question on This is not a game? 

Share Post

Yeah I finally got a notification that explained it.  They should have explained it right away.  I so rarely play the game, I was excited to get to the last question after getting the prior 9 right, so it was disappointing at first to inexplicably loose.  But I get it.  I think they are going to do the same thing tonight.  

Share Post

My game is telling me I need to call Parse.initialize before using Parse. What?

Share Post

Tonight should be fun, even with the mixed results. Sadly, the absolute value of tonight’s episode will no doubt be dwarfed by the one from tomorrow’s date, two years ago.

Share Post

Sam, they got more than 23 seats! Nate Silver has it projected for Democrats to gain 37 in the end, but it could be more. 

Share Post

I don't really have a problem with Pelosi talking about common ground. They should certainly investigate anything that warrants it, but someone should step up and be the adults here. 

It's interesting that 57% of votes were Democratic overall and the ballot measures that passed were basically left of center. (Though in Idaho, to be fair, the healthcare extension had broad bipartisan support.)

I just love Alana's on the road segments. 

Edited by ganesh.

Share Post

God, that woman Allana was interviewing at the Cruz headquarters. "Because he wants to let all the foreigners in." Even though Hispanics raised her children. WTF? Nobody but nobody ran a campaign on open borders. Nobody. How half the country believes that's true is beyond me.

P.T. Barnum was right. There's a sucker born every minute.

Share Post

Great week for Sam, taking the good with the bad. And it would've been a banner week even if the president didn't decide to go nanners on Wednesday. I can imagine her staff working on the results . . . then that happens, and everybody's jaws hang down for a solid minute. Also, crickets chirping, even though they were indoors.

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

God, that woman Allana was interviewing at the Cruz headquarters. "Because he wants to let all the foreigners in." Even though Hispanics raised her children. WTF? Nobody but nobody ran a campaign on open borders. Nobody. How half the country believes that's true is beyond me.

I was more stunned with the dude who basically said he couldn't wait for Justice Ginsberg to die so the president could get a third appointee. Aside from how RBG has become an unlikely pop culture heroine . . . who the fuck says something like that?!? Some fucker at a Ted Cruz rally, that's who.

Share Post

19 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I was more stunned with the dude who basically said he couldn't wait for Justice Ginsberg to die so the president could get a third appointee. Aside from how RBG has become an unlikely pop culture heroine . . . who the fuck says something like that?!? Some fucker at a Ted Cruz rally, that's who.

I usually watch FF (and TDS and Colbert) with my finger over mute so I can mute clips they show but that clip, I wanted to nutpunch that dude. WTH is wrong with people! I hope karma gets him posthaste. 

Share Post

4 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I usually watch FF (and TDS and Colbert) with my finger over mute so I can mute clips they show but that clip, I wanted to nutpunch that dude. WTH is wrong with people! I hope karma gets him posthaste. 

I hope karma diagnoses that ignorant fucker terminal. Seriously, that segment about Texas doesn't make voters there look  good in a positive light.

Share Post