S06.E13: By Any Means Part Four 2018.01.09

In the series finale, Lt. Tao, is stuck in a room with a potential bomb. Provenza finally identifies the real Ms. Bechtal, and Major Crimes comes face-to-face for the very last time with Phillip Stroh.

Share Post

I've already forgotten who Mr and/or Mrs Bechtal is.

and worse... I don't care any more

Edited by slothgirl.

Share Post

5 minutes ago, slothgirl said:

I've already forgotten who Mr and/or Mrs Bechtal is.

and worse... I don't care any more

When Ricky looked up the IP addresses of everyone in addition to Rusty who'd been searching for all the names of Stroh's suspected victims, all the usual suspects came up - Sharon, Provenza (well, Patrice; "she has a computer and I don't"), Mike, Brenda, Fritz, Rios, Hobbs, etc. - plus some unknown person with a (presumably altered) Nepal IP address.  Figuring that was Stroh, they also looked up what else that IP had searched for and found Provenza, Rusty, Brenda, Fritz, three people in other states, Jim Bechtal*, and "Ms. Bechtal."  Also Gwendolyn plus a couple of city names, and maybe Gwendolyn Bechtal, too, or maybe they just put the pieces together to connect Gwendolyn to Jim and come up with Gwendolyn Bechtal; I can't recall. 

*Jim is Stroh’s former stepdad, and the guy whom Stroh, using Nolan’s card to worm his way into the house, kills after using his computer - on which the squad finds emails between Bechtal and a former neighbor, looking for the whereabouts of his Gwen.

So once they hit on Gwendolyn Bechtal, the former Gwendolyn Stroh, having disappeared in 1992, and set off on the Social Security number adventure, it was assumed "Ms. Bechtal" and Gwendolyn Bechtal were the same person.  And then Abigail and Gwen seemed to be the same person.  So it seems we'll be revisiting - and debunking - some aspect of that in the final episode.

Share Post

This reminds me I had a question-how did Abigail/Gwen get a new SS number and have her records sealed. They speculated that she was in witness protection but she never told anyone about her son the serial killer so was she in wit-sec?For what?  Or did she just ask the government for a new ID? Can you do that without giving them a reason? 

Share Post

I have no idea how they will wrap up this story and also give the characters a satisfying ending in just 1 hour. I’m incredibly fucking disappointed with TNT and James Duff for giving a great show such a shitty ending. 

And now there are more twists to the story, with the woman we met earlier not actually being Stroh’s mother apparently. Well who the hell is she and how is she able to impersonate Stroh’s mother? This story is just so goddamn convoluted. 

And Tao will be stuck with a bomb? Please do not blow up Tao or anyone else for that matter, I will be incredibly pissed if they do that, I don’t want them to kill the whole squad, but I don’t trust them not to since it seems like they want to make sure the show never comes back and every character is gone from Major Crimes and one way to do that is just to kill everyone. So to be honest I’m worried for Tao, hopefully they won’t kill him. 

I have no idea why Duff and company just went off the rails in this final season, but they have and it doesn’t even feel like the same show anymore. I never imagined I would say this, but I’m going to be glad when the show is over so I don’t have to be pissed off every week or worried how they are going to destroy the characters I’ve loved so much.

Share Post

On 12/31/2017 at 9:05 AM, thewhiteowl said:

In the series finale, Lt. Tao, is stuck in a room with a potential bomb. Provenza finally identifies the real Ms. Bechtal, and Major Crimes comes face-to-face for the very last time with Phillip Stroh.

Going back to death of Commander Raydor I think this confirms my theory it was a back to back episode to prevent the network from spoiling their own plot twist with a promo.

Share Post

2 hours ago, Raja said:

Going back to death of Commander Raydor I think this confirms my theory it was a back to back episode to prevent the network from spoiling their own plot twist with a promo.

How does this relate to the final episode?

Share Post

It just feels wrong to have a series finale without the lead. And I can't help but feel that it's also disrespectful to the character. I think they deserve to see through the journey they were put on (if the actors so choose).

Share Post

This show (The Closer and Major Crimes) has been going strong for a long time...something like 13 seasons? The two leads were both dynamic leaders but with totally different personalities. The changes worked because there was a strong and diverse cast that connected the two shows. Now, even with the two Very Important Personalities also reaching a point in their careers where playing action heroes isn't reasonable for them, we still have a great cast in search of a leader. Rusty, the D.A., Sanchez, and Buzz, and I think one or two of the others (sorry, my brain just farted) and the excellent "newbies" are perfectly capable of continuing on in more leading rolls. TNT just needed to find that one binding actor who can bring it all together. They apparently didn't bother, so yeah, I'm bummed. 

Share Post

4 hours ago, 10kfever said:

This show (The Closer and Major Crimes) has been going strong for a long time...something like 13 seasons? The two leads were both dynamic leaders but with totally different personalities. The changes worked because there was a strong and diverse cast that connected the two shows. Now, even with the two Very Important Personalities also reaching a point in their careers where playing action heroes isn't reasonable for them, we still have a great cast in search of a leader. Rusty, the D.A., Sanchez, and Buzz, and I think one or two of the others (sorry, my brain just farted) and the excellent "newbies" are perfectly capable of continuing on in more leading rolls. TNT just needed to find that one binding actor who can bring it all together. They apparently didn't bother, so yeah, I'm bummed. 

I would happily watch a Provenza centric show, he’s my favorite character and he’s more than capable of leading Major Crimes. I hope the series ends with Mason promoting him to permanent head of Major Crimes.

Just please, don’t kill anyone off and don’t have them all retire, and don’t have them break the law and go vigilante.

Share Post

Since Duff has already fucked up this show beyond repair, since he is married to Phillip Keene, and since so many aspects of this arc already make no sense at all, I fully expect Buzz to be the completely unexpected hero of the last episode.   Not that Buzz would kill Stroh (he's never been written as someone who would take the law into his own hands, and besides, I don't think he has a gun), but maybe he could demonstrate some heretofore unknown super-skills, rapel down from the roof, swing through a shatter-proof window and overcome Stroh with with some nifty jujitsu moves that leave Stroh paralyzed and stuck facing life in prison with no possiblity of escape parole. 

Share Post

1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

I would happily watch a Provenza centric show, he’s my favorite character and he’s more than capable of leading Major Crimes. I hope the series ends with Mason promoting him to permanent head of Major Crimes.

I'm still sulking over the fact that Sharon didn't even get to be Commander for that long, so I don't really want the show to end with anyone filling her place. It's hers and I'm sticking with it ;-)

Share Post

8 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

How does this relate to the final episode?

Provenza finally identifies the real Ms. Bechtal,

The promo department putting out a twist that nobody had been thinking about on screen is the link to what the promo department did not get to do for the shocking moment in the episode where Commander Raydor died. Mostly because it was not in the promotion cycle being an extra episode for the night. If they had a week to fill time and try to pump viewership rather  than the time between commercial breaks I bet they would have spoiled the moment.

Share Post

I am now recalling dreading the Bones series finale for similar reasons to dreading this one, but I seem to remember being surprisingly satisfied. So here's to pleasant surprises. *clinks glass*

Share Post

2 hours ago, Raja said:

If they had a week to fill time and try to pump viewership rather  than the time between commercial breaks I bet they would have spoiled the moment.

even if the promo monkeys didn't spoil it, having a week in between would have given viewers too much time to think about it and guess it was coming.  This way it just came toward us steady, like a train we couldn't get out of the way of.  I felt like we had exactly enough time to realize what was happening and not a moment more, which worked.

Share Post

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I am now recalling dreading the Bones series finale for similar reasons to dreading this one, but I seem to remember being surprisingly satisfied. So here's to pleasant surprises. *clinks glass*

A friend whom I otherwise adore, but who gushes about the finale of Bones, a show I found to be utter crap the few times I agreed to let her subject me to an episode of it, incessantly, and recently specifically as by possible comparison to this show's end, is clinging to the "this isn't going to be as bad as it seems" hope, and I hope that pans out.  For all the "Damn, this show excels in spite of your best efforts to fuck up your own creation" feelings I've had towards many (male) executive producers in my life, I've been pretty supportive of Duff re. MC, despite his obsession with Rusty (whom I like but feel the "he's my stand-in" sentiment went too far at times) and his elevation of Buzz (a character who should never have been elevated, due to the actor's abilities, and is thus pure nepotism).

When I binge-watched The Closer, and developed a love/hate relationship with it, I dreaded how Brenda was going to be written out.  I wound up okay with it; it straddled a line of respecting what she'd done while acknowledging the reasons she had to go because she'd crossed the line.  Then, as we switched from one show to another, I feel even more in love with Sharon Raydor.  And, while I hate that Sharon is dead, once Duff decided she must die, I like the way she did.  So I want to think The Big End honors all that came before, but I'm nervous.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

I’m afraid nothing good is coming from this series finale. I’m afraid we will have someone else get killed, mainly Tao or Nolan since Tao will be stuck with a bomb and Nolan is undercover, I’m afraid we will see Major Crimes going vigilante against Stroh, and I’m afraid we will have a ton of Rusty-Gus with the only “satisfying” ending being Gusty lives happily ever after while everyone else gets fucked, Duff only cares about Rusty because he pretty much created Rusty as a stand in for himself, and he doesn’t realize most of the audience is here for the Major Crimes people and not Rusty. So I’m almost dreading watching the finale. And if they kill Tao or even Nolan, or have someone on Major Crimes kill Stroh in cold blood, I will be sick and may track down James Duff and let him know just how much I feel about him giving such a terrific show such a shit sendoff.

Share Post

is there going to be a repeat of the episode tonight?  I probably won't be home in time to watch otherwise.  :(

Share Post

I'm just sorry that the ending of a series I really loved has revolved around Stroh, the plot I least liked and would actually fast forward through. And Rusty..... ugh. I will really miss Major Crimes but am so dissatisfied by how it's ending. 

Share Post

36 minutes ago, kilda said:

is there going to be a repeat of the episode tonight?  I probably won't be home in time to watch otherwise.  :(

My cable listing shows it at 9pm (EST) and again at 10pm.  Part 3 will re-run at 8pm, before the finale.

Share Post

39 minutes ago, kilda said:

Yes, it will air again immediately after.  So - part three repeats at 8:00, the finale airs at 9:00, and then it repeats at 10:00.  (All times Eastern.)

(Heh; or what Moose said a second ahead of me.)

I'm not sure I've ever actually been nervous for a series finale, but I am with this one.  "Thank the universe she didn't live to see her people do this" is not how I want to wind up making peace with Sharon's death.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

thanks for the info!  I should be able to catch the 10 pm one then.  

1 minute ago, Bastet said:

I'm not sure I've ever actually been nervous for a series finale, but I am with this one.  "Thank the universe she didn't live to see her people do this" is not how I want to wind up making peace with Sharon's death.

me too.

Share Post

I agree with everyone’s thoughts here 

I am extremely nervous about the finale tonight, for about the first time ever for a show, I’m very nervous about the ending. I’m really hoping that no major character dies ( other than Stroh ), that the squad doesn’t go vigilante on Stroh or his accomplice and start taking the law into their own hands, and I want everyone to get as satisfactory of an ending as they can. 

I’m beyond disgusted with how the show is ending, it’s incredible how this show went from being great just a few months ago to the dumpster fire it is now. This series has been so high quality up until this season I’m sickened, no matter what happens tonight, the ending isn’t going to really be happy or good. 

And I’m also ready for the show to end, so I can stop being nervous about how they are going to destroy the show even more and angry over the shit ending to it, and go back to watching the terrific seasons 1-5. 

A few minutes away now, and I feel a mix of nervousness, anticipation-intrigue and disappointment. Nervous about how the show will end and if they will destroy characters even more, intrigued by how they will wrap everything up and above all disappointed that after tonight we will never see a new episode with Provenza, Flynn, Tao, Sanchez etc. 

Share Post

Omg- major crimes doesn’t have to personally report to Ella’s apartment. That’s what patrol is for.  That’s ridiculous. If ’m ever in her situation - send the Closest person. 

Edited by mythoughtis.

Share Post

Damn you show for making me cry! 😢😭

I like the wrap up for all the characters although Julio's exit felt a bit rushed.

I screamed at the TV twice. Both in fear for Provenza. I was yelling at my TV, he's going for his boot gun! He's going for his boot gun!

I'm glad Rusty was there to save Provenza. I know he didn't really act in self defense but, it was self defense because Stroh was going to try and kill Provenza.

Fritz obviously knew and, I'm pretty sure Flynn knew as well. I'm uncertain as to Julio, his advice could have simply been about all the emotional issues from Sharon's death to survival and not knowing how to let the fear and rage go after Stroh's death.

I'm glad the show ended on Provenza, I always loved him. Loved him on The Closer (hated Brenda) and he's one of my favs from Major Crimes. I did love that for all Provenza's talk when push comes to shove her couldn't turn his back on the Law.  I respect that, even if I was terrified Provenza would die.

Edited by Morrigan2575.

Share Post

Well no one died except Stroh.  I liked the finale.  They all just continue on, kind of like life.

Share Post

I had hoped Stroh would have a Bonnie & Clyde end - the entire team emptying their guns into him.  Make sure he is really most sincerely dead.  

I'm still not sure why they had to kill Sharon off.  It seemed totally unnecessary to advance the story.  All these years watching the show and Sharon is not there at the end, but Nolan and Cami are??  Not the most aggravating series finale I've ever seen (burn in hell, HIMYM), but not the ending I think they could have done with just a little more effort.  

Share Post

So mad they're throwing this show away. ...and I refuse to watch Alienist!

Mr. Ceecee says it would have been obvious that Provenza didn't kill Stroh once they saw the shooter took 5 shots. One, maybe 2 would have done it.

Sooo going to miss these guys.

Share Post

I find it hard to believe FID would have signed off on this so easily (Sharon would have figured out something smelled in a hot minute).  As noted, the number of rounds; aren't they supposed to double-tap?  So two, maybe three, but five?  And it's a different gun than his service weapon.  They own't just take his word for it; they'll interview him, Rusty, Gus, and Buzz (whose crime scene video conveniently omits time stamps).  They'll comb the scene for prints.  Then wouldn't Provenza not test positive for residue from firing, even if by the time they were on the trail of what had happened Rusty could have removed his?  It's too neat.

However, quoting myself:

Change the events of this case to make it a good shoot - which requires merely having Rusty or Provenza see Stroh's gun - and have a healthy Commander Raydor giving the speech about Major Crimes going on despite changes, and this could have been a really nice good-bye for the show, a nice little "we'll still go on even though you won't see us anymore (so fuck you TNT)" ending that isn't really an ending.

Because, goddamn, I wish they'd done that, as there was much I liked as a final episode with these folks.

At least we finally see Morales again!  And, yay, the helicopter guy who always calls his partner “Partner.”

I love that Tao figures out the countdown clock is rigged to a dead man’s switch, not a bomb.  We got one last “Holy crap!”

Spreading the LAPD thin is what Stroh does, so I appreciate them sticking with the MO, making me suspect absolutely everything as a misdirection.  Great suspense.

Speaking of which, I actually screamed when we saw Stroh eating a sandwich on the yacht.  And, earlier, Wes scared the shit out of me.

Plus, we got:

“That’s the best you can do on the license plate?”
“Sorry, unfortunately Stroh wasn’t driving down the street sideways.”

I can’t with Rusty and Gus being out in the field with Provenza and Buzz.  But Buzz falling through the door he kicked open was everything.  (But “stay there”?  Outside, alone, unprotected?  Check out the downstairs bathroom and shove them in there until you clear the rest of the house.)

That Dylan didn’t know Stroh was going to go after Ella is the stupidest part of all of this, but I’d let it go.

Random note: the house in which they found Dylan looks familiar, in fact it looks like Wade Weller’s house, although it’s obviously not or that would have been noted.

And, one last time: Shut up, Gus.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

I hear you, Bastet, but I was satisfied. I kind of like the imperfection, the messiness, of how Stroh died.  Rusty knew he effed up... but how effed up is it when he saved Provenza's life (and probably other lives, too)?  He finds himself suddenly face-to-face again with Stroh, the prolific murderer who has tried killing him multiple times before and who he knows is in the middle of a fresh killing spree.  Sorry, I'm not judging him for reacting by firing.  Rusty wasn't Sharon.  He wasn't Provenza.  I found his actions true to his character. 

Speaking of Provenza... one could definitely call him the heart and soul of both of these television shows.  In Sharon's absence, it was only fitting that he closed out the series.

Edited by The Bullpen.

Share Post

First thought-that's what he sent Nolan away for?

Second thought-this entire arc depended far too much on people being stupid-bodyguards, Chief  Mason, hackerboy, our squad who should have figured out some things way before. 

Third thought-We knew it was going to be Rusty, thank God it was before Stroh could kill Provenza or I'd have had a stroke. And no Rusty, she would not have been proud. She'd have been horrified and angry. 

Final thought-did any female have anything substantive to do in this arc?  Fuck him. 

Share Post

Not sure how I feel about this. I will say, I feel like way too much time was given to showing loading screens on computers...was expecting to hear a modem dialing in there (yes, showing my age...)

Share Post

22 hours ago, AuntieL said:

Final thought-did any female have anything substantive to do in this arc?

Certainly not in this episode.  Sharon was dead, Andrea was largely absent, Sykes didn't do anything, Cami's contribution was making googly eyes at Wes, and Ella got to stand around and scream for her life.  Stroh, Mike, Buzz, Provenza, and Rusty were the ones who drove the action forward.  The expendable woman problem, indeed.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

Oh my god, this was a comedic episode.  Seriously, I thought I was watching one of Flynn and Provenza's capers. I literally laughed out loud a few times.   I kept thinking that they were trying a backdoor pilot to a comedy.  I can't unsee what I just saw, and I don't know where to start first.  Everything was shot in some time of strange comic book movement.  Way too much time was spent on Dylan/Ella Stroh.  Are we to believe that Dylan would have given up the money and the chance to run for Ella who was still seeing clients?

I was obvious that the boat/marina was going to have something to with it since his visit to his step father.  Why even mention it? 

Everyone knew Stroh was going to either kill Ella or use her somehow since he made the statement about her being his weakness or something of that nature 

Totally thought Dylan would kill himself instead of suicide by cop. 

Well duh, of COURSE RUSTY was in on the final moment.  So he kills someone, gets away with it, and it is on Provenza's to carry that?  And gets a job? 

I knew Stroh wouldn't bother to go after Rusty, and common sense would have told a rookie that the airport was a misdirect. 

I could have done without the little boy in Julio's goodbye, and no scene with Provenza?  We were robbed! But of course a moment whispering in Rusty's ear.

Sykes is not important enough to get a mention...promotion or anything else. 

Andy is only fit for desk work. 

Of course Buzz gets a moment in the sun....was there anything more comical than the two of them searching the  house.....leaving Rusty and Gus outside for someone to kill, kidnap or ambush them? 

At least they remembered to have Ella say that Carl was called Dylan.....

Why would Flynn be working on case, with a gun, right after his wife died and he has a personal connection? 

I agree with the other poster- THAT is what Nolan was sent away for?  Are you kidding?  

The pathetic salutes at the end. 

Provenza, the old dog, not thinking about a throw away gun in the boot?  Really?  Andy used to have his own. 

The "bad" Stroh we know should have been able to spin and throw the knife. 

Why not have Stroh be in possession of the throw away instead of having Rusty shoot him without it? 

So after all these years everyone on the squad are murderers planning an execution?  I am glad Tao and Julio were not there at the kill site. 

I need to process and come back with more....I can't remember the last season ending that disappointed me this much.....oh, maybe Law and Order

Edited by catrice2.

Share Post

23 minutes ago, ceecee said:

So mad they're throwing this show away. ...and I refuse to watch Alienist!

Mr. Ceecee says it would have been obvious that Provenza didn't kill Stroh once they saw the shooter took 5 shots. One, maybe 2 would have done it.

Sooo going to miss these guys.

I can’t wait for The Alienist.  I’ve been waiting to see that on screen since I read the book,  in the nineties.

No show can and should last forever.

Edited by Neurochick.

Share Post

Say what you like about this episode, and I'm sure all of us have opinions about how this ended, but in that pivotal scene, I think both actors were superb following Stroh's demise.

As for me, if this wonderful series had to end, I guess this is what we're stuck with. It was pretty dismal despite some lovely moments.

Gus won, at least for the moment. Are we really surprised?

Can Rusty live with his terrible act? We'll never know.

<insert bad four letter word here>

Share Post

3 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I can’t wait for The Alienist.  I’ve been waiting to see that on screen since I read the books in the nineties.

No show can and should last forever.

I am looking forward to The Aliennist as well.

Share Post

I would have preferred to see Provenza take out Stroh, as he is essentially Sharon’s proxy, but I knew it would be Rusty and I guess I’m OK with that, as Rusty is the one whom Stroh directly harmed. ITA about the lack of women in these last episodes, especially Sykes.

Share Post

The fact that Gus got more lines in this episode than Amy annoys the hell out of me. Hell he got more lines than Andy. 

Share Post

8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Rusty, you piece of shit.  You don’t want to be embarrassed at trial – let’s just never mind the great conversation Sharon had with you about that prior to your preliminary hearing testimony – so you fucking murder someone a seasoned detective is in the process of apprehending.  Which forces him to take “credit” for your actions; if there wasn’t a gun on Stroh to use to fabricate the sequence of events and get cleared, what would that mean for the man who is second only to Sharon in caring for you and looking out for you?

This. ⬆️.  Thank you for stating my feelings. Rusty ruined this entire ep for me. Whiny and impulsive and insisting on leaving the building so Provenza has to chase after him. Not staying put for five fucking seconds because OF COURSE he knows better than a detective with 40 years on the force. And after it’s all over, I have to hear Gus whine about how he’s going to have to leave his boo? WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK. READ THE ROOM GUS. 

So, my Qs in no particular order:

• The reason for adding Cammie to the team this season was what, exactly? (I kept waiting for her special “skillz” to pay off in some fashion. Mostly she just seemed too smitten with Wes.)
  • The Wes payoff was ... Whaaaa? BORING. 
  • The goal of having Mason play a stick in the mud all season was to prove ... whatsits?
  • The point of Rusty playing boy detective by chasing Tammy Bechdel was ...? to prove he’s super smart?
  • Having Dylan go out in full Butch Cassidy mode was because ... whozits? 

Hacker bait and house takedown? Awesome. Tao playing chicken with a dead man’s switch? Nail biting (even tho we knew what it was!). Provenza’s exclamation: “That’s the worst kicking-in I have ever seen!” Genius. All of the detectives at the end - Provenza and his speech? Lovely. But the Stroh takedown and Rusty bursting in like some superhero left a bad taste in my mouth. I have not liked how he has been shoe-horned in since the beginning and this was just one last “shining” example. 

I am going to go console myself with the knowledge that GW Bailey is still as sublime as ever at his spry 73. “Oh they’ll be along soon enough to spit on your grave. But I don’t like lines.” HA! The derision in the delivery is all the things. 

End result: I am unlikely to go back and rewatch any of this series. My memories will be of the master class of actors (MMc & GWB in particular) and their work, not the storylines or its plethora of insipid characters. 

/endrant 

30 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Not the most aggravating series finale I've ever seen (burn in hell, HIMYM), but not the ending I think they could have done with just a little more effort.  

<applause>

Share Post

24 minutes ago, betsyboo said:

End result: I am unlikely to go back and rewatch any of this series.

I think I'm good and addicted, and the fact the stuff I love far outweighs the stuff I hate will carry the day and I'll keep re-living my numerous favorite moments.  I'm mostly pissed at TNT for canceling such a great show.  But, goddamn, if Rusty had seen the gun before shooting and Sharon was alive, healthy, and still leading the team (after having been the head of the brains behind this investigation, and being the one delivering those final words*), my emotions would be pretty straightforward tonight: Damn you, TNT, for denying me any future glimpses of these characters, but thank you, creative team, for giving me so much pleasure these many years, and I'll happily imagine what comes next for all the characters.

*"No matter what happens, Major Crimes won't quit until we find the bad guys.  And that's how we'll keep doing things here.  This team ... we are part of the greatest police department in America, and, with the people standing here, I could go on doing this job forever."

Have that be Sharon's words to her crew, after finally - and legally - resolving one of their toughest cases, that threatened her son, and overcoming a health crisis that threatened her job and everything else she enjoyed about her life, and it's a completely different world.  Yeah, Sharon's death was better than being killed in a shootout with Stroh, taking a bullet for Rusty, or being forced into retirement while she lingered on a transplant list.  But it's not better than that. 

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

The role of Sharon Raydor, lead character of this show, will be played this evening by a big vase of roses. 

Are you freaking kidding me??!! She had to be killed so we could get this????  Are you kidding me?

Mercifully the show is over now.  I can't believe that is my thought on the ending of this series, but here we are. 

Share Post

This wasn't as good as I hoped, but it wasn't as bad as I feared either. And some of what I didn't like is probably TNT's fault since they had to account for the 20% chance of renewal with more changes and a smaller budget and I suspect things would have been different if they made their decision before they started shooting the last episode. Screw you TNT! But screw you too James Duff for giving in to your worst instincts and having the big final confrontation with Stroh be Provenza and the Gary Stu squad. Not Flynn. Not the remaining original team. And then writing it in such a way that it comes off as Rusty being scared about having to testify instead and not having closure instead of being afraid for Provenza's safety and then facing no consequences of course? Way to undercut the great scene right before where we saw that you realized an extrajudicial execution went against everything you said in the opener and the very identity of Major Crimes vs. The Closer. I also have to believe there was a way that they could have worked in another Raydor video appearance so she could be represented as more than a vase of flowers. And I think Gusty has gotten quite enough time already and some of that time this episode could have been spent giving Sykes some material. That said there were some great moments. I was just saying in the other thread that Tao can be a real badass so I was glad to see them remind of that with him getting to take down hacker boy and having the brass ones to stay there with the countdown clock running trusting his instincts. I really liked the scenes with Fritz and Morales and Flynn and Provenza. And the scene at the end was nice. Overall when it comes to the series finales for long running police procedurals cancelled before their time due to network executive stupidity this comes in a distant second to Law & Order's"Rubber Room"  but it didn't kill off any of the squad or ruin Provenza so much like the final scene said it was a rough time, but we got through it and can move on...

Share Post

@shapeshifter  It looks like they didn't have any spare air conditions lying around ;-)

One has to appreciate the irony that they devote an entire arc to the subject of harrassment, showcase two strong women for the duration of a combined 13 seasons and then spend the last three/four episodes giving a damn about the women of the show and degrading them to show pieces.

Share Post

I'm going to have to sleep on it and process it.  I can't decide if I'm ok with the way Rusty killed Stroh or not.  I might be.  On the other hand I couldn't help thinking "your mom would SO not be happy with you right now."  What I am very happy about is that Provenza was going to let him surrender.  I was holding my breath as soon as Stroh put his hands up.  When Provenza said "why did you have to drop the knife" I wanted to cheer.  That's what I was hoping for from this - for them to have the opportunity to murder him, be tempted, and turn away from it.  That honored what Sharon stood for.  I needed Provenza/the squad to do the right thing more than I needed Rusty to.

I'm also really glad they gave us that final scene, with everybody there.  Most of the important recurring characters were there, (and Dr Joe got a mention!) for us to say goodbye to.  I can only imagine how emotional that last scene had to be for them to film.  sniff.

Edited by kilda.

Share Post