S06.E12: By Any Means Part Three 2018.01.02

21 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I don't think anyone else has noted this but what really made no sense is that Andy had heart trouble but then suddenly Sharon has much worse heart trouble?  Huh? What were they thinking?

Seriously.
Maybe they thought the audience forgot Flynn's heart issues?
Or were we supposed to think Andy ate fatty meat three times a day, and when he and Sharon moved in together they both did?

Share Post

Duff said something about liking the symmetry or something like that.  I don't know; I'm rather off listening to him these days.

Share Post

31 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

That they (Duff) needed something that he could kill Sharon with? ;-)

Couldn't they have gone with a fast-growing cancer?  

Share Post

25 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Couldn't they have gone with a fast-growing cancer?  

Maybe Duff thought he was original?

I really do believe that this is a possibility, that he wanted something that would kill her but he didn't want it to be cancer because that's what they all use. Symmetry or not, I thought choosing a heart disease was lame. I thought the whole illness thing was lame. Ever since Sharon and Andy became a couple, all there were were health issues.

Share Post

I don't know anything about Duffs family but in mine the parent who was told he'd die at 50 is now 83 and the parent who was always healthy got sick and died within a year (6 years ago today, well yesterday now). It's not always the one you expect that dies. Maybe he was going for something like that? Still stupid that he killed her off. Other than giving the actors some meaty scenes (and the acting has been stellar) Sharon's death has no effect on the plot. 

Share Post

I'm sick in bed and this forum is keeping me entertained.

I'm in the minority here in liking Gus. When Rusty wouldnt move in with Gus and told him to take the job in the other town I took it as almost paasive-agressive breakup.  Those kinds of long-distance relationships seldom pan out when the parties involved are so young.  Too much temptation coupled with too many hormones and somebody cheats.  Honestly, I find Rusty's reaction so over the top.  Gus has apologized over and over again - people make mistakes and it doesnt have to be the end of the world.  Go talk to Dr. Joe; if there was real love there, save it and try and heal, if not split up and be done with it.

Waiting with baited breath here to see who takes out Stroh. As far as someone on the squad taking out Stroh, it was in today's NY Daily News that cops shot over 1000 people in 2017, so really, Stroh is a mad dog - cant see all the angst about him being killed by one of the team.

Finally, I'm probably delirious right now, but I think Sharon is really dead and the "Happy Ending" Duff is promising us is going to be Andy keeling over and we'll see him and Sharon hand in hand going into eternity ala Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy in "Maytime".

Share Post

Gus pissed me off with pressuring Rusty. Dude, you fucked up and slept with your boss now you're using the threat of imminent death to pressure Rusty into taking you back? GTFO!

I'm glad the team figured it out but, man it took them way too long IMO. 

I kibd of hate that Stroh killed Hunt, I looked that uptight dude.

I've decided this show needs to end with Provenza killing Stroh.

Share Post

I wonder if Hacker Boy's girlfriend will be the one to kill Stroh - some sort of symmetry for him having raped and killed so many blonde girls?

Share Post

Regarding Gusty:

10 HOURS AGO, 12CATCRAZY SAID:

If there was real love there, save it and try and heal, if not split up and be done with it.

I think we can all agree on the this.

Share Post

For a penultimate episode, this one was kind of a let down.  It should have had me on the edge of my seat but all it did was depress me. The body count is high enough already and I don't really want to see Provenza or Rusty shoot Stroh, no matter how much he deserves it.  Now hacker boy or his hooker girl friend could do it and I would give them a thumbs up.  And I would have been fine with Brenda doing it any time on The Closer or Major Crimes. But Sharon Raydor changed that dynamic. She wouldn't have wanted that for her team or Rusty. 

I stopped watching when I heard about Sharon's death, just to let some time go by before I got caught up again. Binge watching these last 5 episodes was probably the right decision - Provenza's eulogy was the only thing that made me tear up even a little. (Being pissed off helps there.) 

Major Crimes ending was always going to leave a hole in my viewing, just like Person of Interest ending did, but at least the writing choices have ensured I'm not really going to miss it at this point.  (Unlike PoI, where I've rewatched the last season at least 3 times. Proof that you don't need a happy ending, just one that's right for the characters.)   

ETA:  I'm a couple of episodes into The Good Fight, starring Christine Baranski and am liking it.  There aren't that many series starring strong, smart, mature women so on that basis alone I'd recommend checking it out.  (Though it doesn't quite have the great ensemble cast feel of Major Crimes but maybe that will develop...)  

Share Post

For those upthread asking for viewing suggestions in life after Major Crimes, I just watched the pilot of the new J.K. Simmons show, Counterpart. It was an unapologetically terrific pilot, IMO. Plus a mature lead with mature philosophical issues. And that lead is an Oscar winning alum from the MC world. However, it is not a crime procedural. STARZ has the pilot online now.

Share Post

On 1/3/2018 at 4:01 PM, betsyboo said:

Buzz: "OH. ISN'T THAT THE GUY.  FROM NEXT DOOR TO EMMA.  IT LOOKS LIKE THAT GUY." This cracked me up since clearly it was a direction to play him so awkward, as a real person would be. The entire squad's la-di-da expository play acting made me laugh at those scenes. "BOY. ANYONE WHO HELPS STROH WINDS UP DEAD. HUNH."

I'll be the first to say that Philip Keene isn't on the level of the rest of the cast, but I actually think he does great in humorous scenes.  His line above reminded me of his perfect delivery of his line when Rusty came out to the squad.  "We did not know that."

Edited by kilda.

Share Post

On 1/2/2018 at 11:22 PM, Bastet said:

unless this is another huge redirect, Stroh is not surviving his arrest.  Which I don't automatically hate, mind you; I'm just nervous as to how it's going to go down and what I'll be asked to accept.  Ultimately, Brenda had to answer for what she did, even though she got to quit rather than being reprimanded/fired for not accepting reprimand and go on to the new life of her available choices under the changed circumstances, her actions did indeed change and limit the circumstances, and Provenza's eulogy made a huge point of honoring Sharon not just as a person, but as a cop who did it right.  So maybe I shouldn't be as anxious as I am.  But here we are.

I too have been uncomfortable with the way they are hammering in all the "by any means" talk.  (seriously Provenza, I love you but you might want to be more discreet about your plans to straight up murder a suspect).  It really would be shitting all over what Sharon stood for.  I'm really hoping that where they're going with this is for them to be tempted to just take him out, realize that it would be wrong and choose to play it by the rules after all.  In the end I need them to live up to that magnificent eulogy that Provenza gave.

If not, I WILL throw the remote and scare my dogs.  That would actually upset me more than killing Sharon off did.  Which is saying something.

On 1/6/2018 at 0:22 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

Gus pissed me off with pressuring Rusty. Dude, you fucked up and slept with your boss now you're using the threat of imminent death to pressure Rusty into taking you back? GTFO!

not only that, but it's kind of crappy to be pressuring Rusty at an emotionally vulnerable time.  His mom just died for God's sake.  Gus, I used to like you, but really, shut up.

Edited by kilda.

Share Post

30 minutes ago, kilda said:

I too have been uncomfortable with the way they are hammering in all the "by any means" talk.  (seriously Provenza, I love you but you might want to be more discreet about your plans to straight up murder a suspect).  It really would be shitting all over what Sharon stood for.  I'm really hoping that where they're going with this is for them to be tempted to just take him out, realize that it would be wrong and choose to play it by the rules after all.  In the end I need them to live up to that magnificent eulogy that Provenza gave.

If not, I WILL throw the remote and scare my dogs.  That would actually upset me more than killing Sharon off did.  Which is saying something.

Substitute cat for dogs and that's me.  I can reluctantly live with Sharon being dead, in terms of enjoying the time I had with her via DVD/syndication, something I wasn't sure could happen (and, honestly, something which is nonetheless affected a bit; I don't bawl, throw things, or even change the channel, but I've yet to watch one in its entirety).  If this show shits on her grave as it ends, though, I'll be even less sure I'll ever be able to enjoy old episodes.  I just can't believe killing Sharon with four episodes to go, and specifically eulogizing her dedication to the rule of the law and the principles on which the criminal justice system is supposed to rest in her funeral episode, was done to get her out of the way so the squad could reject the ways in which she'd changed them for the better and go rogue, so I hope all this talk - not just from the characters, but from Duff in interviews - is misdirect, and they deal with Stroh in a way that both puts the threat to rest and respects Sharon's influence, but I don't know what to trust.

If the Stroh storyline - which I've enjoyed but never been as invested in as the show wants - resolves in a way that honors Sharon's impact on the team (and Rusty) AND gets rid of that raping, murdering asshole for good, great, yes; I'll shed no tears over the death of Stroh in a good shoot since they are, for various logistical/storyline reasons unlikely to go the apprehension route.  I'll find a way to accept Sharon not being there as it did.  But if this show ends with extrajudicial execution being endorsed, I'll feel betrayed and angry, and I'm not sure how that will affect my future enjoyment of the show that brought me such comfort and inspiration, including in a time when I really needed it.

Share Post

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

gets rid of that raping, murdering asshole for good, great, yes; I'll shed no tears over the death of Stroh in a good shoot since they are, for various logistical/storyline reasons unlikely to go the apprehension route

I'm still hoping for a piano to fall on Stroh, because it's a very Billy Burke character kind of ending, and it seems equivalent to the end of Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath (woman feeds her breast milk to a starving man) when Steinbeck's publisher insisted on an immediate completion of the novel, but, alas, we have seen no Chekhovian piano sliding towards an upper story window, so it's not likely to happen. I guess it will be Gus with Rusty's gun in the bedroom, because there are no candlesticks there, but there is a gun under the pillow, and Gus really wants to get into that bedroom. 

Share Post

7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm still hoping for a piano to fall on Stroh, because it's a very Billy Burke character kind of ending, and it seems equivalent to the end of Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath (woman feeds her breast milk to a starving man) when Steinbeck's publisher insisted on an immediate completion of the novel, but, alas, we have seen no Chekhovian piano sliding towards an upper story window, so it's not likely to happen. I guess it will be Gus with Rusty's gun in the bedroom, because there are no candlesticks there, but there is a gun under the pillow, and Gus really wants to get into that bedroom. 

Given the rest of the "twist" this season the piano wouldn't be an accident as we have been moving towards Fargo territory

Share Post

11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm still hoping for a piano to fall on Stroh,

What a waste of a piano. Those things are expensive ;-)

Share Post

24 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

What a waste of a piano. Those things are expensive ;-)

Good point! How about an air conditioner?

Share Post

I'm not going to be able to watch the repeat of this tonight, but want my memory refreshed heading into the finale <sob>, so I just watched my recording of it.

How is Mason, who headed up the criminal intelligence division, which would deal with cyber security, kind of dumb about the technology stuff?  I know, to prop up Buzz for his big tech profiling moment.  But that scene in his office did give us:

"... my phone, which I had mistakenly left on airport mode."
"You mean airplane mode."
"Whatever."

And, "Buzz set up my printer."

I didn't notice that Gus was the one to say maybe Stroh's mom would have turned him in if she realized just how dangerous he was going to turn out to be, out of fear.  That's the kind of thing that if Sharon was still alive, would have given her the idea to try to scare Stroh's accomplice by talking about how all the previous accomplices wound up dead.  For it to be Mike and Andy making the connection instead makes me sad.

So, Rusty Beck, Junior Detective, thinking the last name Wellington means something, goes through his notes and sees that Aaron Dunn's former mother-in-law is Alice Wellington - his ex-wife Liz (who died in a "single car accident" ) is probably Mary Wellington's sister, and Rusty has Alice Wellington's cell number because Aaron uses it so the kids can Facetime their grandmother.  Huh?  Rusty would have talked to Aaron by way of looking into Liz Dunn's death, once she was believed to be one of Stroh's victims, okay, and thus had his contact info in his notes.  And he'd have written down Alice Wellington's phone number as someone else to talk to about Liz's death, so who cares about the grandkids thing?  And why hasn't he talked to her before now?  Maybe he just hadn't gotten to it, fine.  But couldn't he have just recognized the name Wellington when Andy told him about Mary, checked his notes, shown Andy and Mike what he found, and let them take it from there?  I know he ultimately does share his info with them, when Gus reminds him Sharon said not to play detective, but instead of writing it the way it would have logically happened, it was written so that Rusty conducts the interview, introducing himself as an assistant to the ADA - who has no idea he's making this call, by the way - and thus is the one to figure out Gwen was paying off Stroh's victims.  I'm bitter.

Because it can't be said enough: Shut up, Gus.  "Since I could be killed for caring about you, isn't it a little nuts we can't sleep together?  And Andy's fine with me sharing your bedroom."  Who does that?  Who asks his ex-boyfriend's stepdad if he can share the bed?  (I get it as a respect thing, since it's not Rusty's condo, but that would play out if RUSTY wanted Gus to sleep with him, at which point RUSTY would go ask Andy if it was okay.)  And who uses guilt as the way to get one more night with their ex?  I can hardly remember how much I used to like Gus, because this shit is nuts.

Share Post

8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Because it can't be said enough: Shut up, Gus.  "Since I could be killed for caring about you, isn't it a little nuts we can't sleep together?  And Andy's fine with me sharing your bedroom."  Who does that?

Nobody does that. So the only reason can be: Plot. Right? And since this show is still way more Clue than Fargo, I am reiterating: It will be Gus. In the bedroom. With the gun (that's under the pillow). Stroh will think it's Rusty in the bed, or something similar. Right? Actually, Rusty shooting the gun through the pillow could be a call back to Brenda shooting through her purse. But almost nobody watching will recall that.

Share Post

remember when Gus was the mature one in that relationship?  Not any more.

Gus, you cheated and you shared Rusty’s very private information with someone you had no right to, and Rusty does not owe you a spot in his bed.  Seriously Gus, shut up.

Share Post

I am imagining (spoiler tags just in case nobody wants to see):

Spoiler

Rusty's in bed.
Gus comes into Rusty's bedroom and climbs in the bed on the other side.
Rusty pretends to be asleep because he doesn't want to deal with Gus.
Enter Stroh.
Stroh shoots or otherwise attacks Gus.
Rusty shoots Stroh through the pillow.
We see a moment of disbelief and surprise on Stroh's face before his eyes stare into nothingness.

Share Post

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

Because it can't be said enough: Shut up, Gus.  "Since I could be killed for caring about you, isn't it a little nuts we can't sleep together?  And Andy's fine with me sharing your bedroom."  Who does that?  Who asks his ex-boyfriend's stepdad if he can share the bed?  (I get it as a respect thing, since it's not Rusty's condo, but that would play out if RUSTY wanted Gus to sleep with him, at which point RUSTY would go ask Andy if it was okay.)  And who uses guilt as the way to get one more night with their ex?  I can hardly remember how much I used to like Gus, because this shit is nuts.

Gus and Rusty got together off screen. This has never been the Rusty show, no matter how many complain about his existence as a character. So there's no reason at all to expect their reconciliation to take place on screen either. When Sharon said Rusty should give Gus a chance, that was all the show needed. Sharon is always right. When Gus said that I took it as being about making it official, in a manner of speaking. 

Share Post

How did Stroh get past the security detail when leaving the psychiatrist's office after killing the dr. and Hunter?

Share Post

7 hours ago, niftynan said:

How did Stroh get past the security detail when leaving the psychiatrist's office after killing the dr. and Hunter?

They didn't cover the back door of the office.

Share Post