S01.E09: Doomsday 2018.01.02

The Runaways are feeling more fractured than ever when Molly arrives with a devastating message from her parents. Now the kids have to stop their parents before it’s too late.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo.

Share Post

I wasn't sure where to ask this and if this isn't the right place sorry, but I just binged all the eps over the weekend and I was just wondering what time do they put the new ep up on hulu?

Edited by peachmangosteen.

Share Post

The kids take all of these precautions in case they run into trouble, but they leave the velociraptor in the trunk of the car? And then they specifically ran into trouble. I would have much rather they gave the excuse that they wanted to make sure the coast was clear before they let the velociraptor loose.

Frank Dean is cold. We thought Tina and Leslie were ruthless. Frank is terrible. He sold those kids straight out to Jonah. I'm starting to think that Frank killed Amy.

It occurred to me that if the parents trusted each other, they might have gotten themselves out of the deal with Jonah. The only real holdouts would be Tina and Leslie, but I think the rest could probably trust each other.

Karolina made her move on Nico. Nico seemed to be ok with it. Maybe Nico is bi. Meanwhile, Gert and Chase have sex and Gert reminds everyone she's kind of an insecure asshole. They had to join the group to break into the construction site. When exactly did Chase have an opportunity to have a conversation about what the sex meant? They know their parents are serial murderers who are planning on destroying California and maybe the world and she's fixated on whether the sex meant anything. And because she decides on her own that Chase is giving her the cold shoulder, she has snit. She is the worst.

Davina Clare is still terrible. 

Edited by HunterHunted. Reason: Because Leslie and Tina killed Molly's parents

Share Post

5 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Meanwhile, Gert and Chase have sex and Gert reminds everyone she's kind of an insecure asshole.

Really though. She really is kind of the worst. That being said though, I thought her and Chase were pretty hot.

I wanna like Karolina/Nico, but I find Nico dreadfully boring. Honestly I find most of the characters boring, but for some reason I binged all the eps in a few days anyway lol.

Damn at Frank. I'm actually interested in him now.

Share Post

36 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Really though. She really is kind of the worst. That being said though, I thought her and Chase were pretty hot.

I wanna like Karolina/Nico, but I find Nico dreadfully boring. Honestly I find most of the characters boring, but for some reason I binged all the eps in a few days anyway lol.

Damn at Frank. I'm actually interested in him now.

When a teen boy has to remind you that sex is not a priority at that moment, you know that you're being really immature and self-absorbed. WTF Gert?!?!?!

Their sex scene was pretty good.

I only like Nico in scenes with Alex so I want her to get around to forgiving him.

I loved the parents little step backwards when Molly's eyes lit up and then their big freaked out faces when Karolina started glowing. If only Old Lace had been there to completely blow their minds. You could tell the parents went to the construction site thinking they could scold their kids into dropping their investigation and their efforts to destroy PRIDE, but were reevaluating their kids like an actual threat.

Share Post

Frank is either incredibly gullible (plausible) or Jonah gave him a personality transplant (equally plausible).

The teenagers did the teenager stuff at a school dance. Not entirely surprising but Gert's little meltdown at the construction site was side-eye worthy. Of all the times to decide to pick a fight over sex...

I like how at the end all the parents were taken aback by seeing how much their kids know. Leslie's last statement has me worried about how Jonah will react to Karolina's powers? DNA? She seemed more worried for Karolina than angry at her.

Tina may not know how to show her emotions clearly but she truly does love her daughter(s).

Interesting little note, Jonah seemed to appreciate Stacey fighting back but had pure disdain for Dale's cowardice.

Share Post

I liked this one, but I have to agree with AV Club reviewer Vinnie Mancuso that most of the big moments were unearned. Chase's "I always saw you" to Gert came out of nowhere -- no he hasn't! She was clearly into him, but he was all about Karolina two episodes ago. Ditto with the "we're a family" line from the kids, which should have been a big deal -- I'm a sucker for "found family" stories, as I know many people are, and we know Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage can write the hell out of that shit; the first season of The O.C. was wonderful. These kids are getting there, but they aren't really there yet. 

I did like the Karolina/Nico kiss, which at least has been set up since the first episode. It was also a fun mirror image of sorts to the Chase/Karolina kiss. The dialogue alone:

Chase to Karolina: "Considering you almost died without me ever doing that, I thought this would be a good time to go for it."

Karolina to Nico: "Sorry. I've just wanted to do that for a really long time. And after tonight I didn't know if I'd get the chance."

But with the former, we saw Karolina, eyes open, clearly uncomfortable, while Nico closed her eyes and kissed back. I'm still not sure where they're going with this storyline (it's hard to get a read on Nico and this damn show loves interrupting people in important moments to draw out the drama), but I like it so far.

Gert, Gert, Gert. Sometimes I love her -- like when that horrible girl made that crack about Karolina and the water polo team and Gert snapped, "We'll take five tickets, you hateful bitch" (and then later: "Guess that means we're not going to the dance. Probably woulda had a better chance at a refund if I hadn't called Eiffel a hateful bitch." "No, the dance is still on. It's the perfect cover." "Then I regret nothing.") -- and sometimes I just want to shake her. I know she's a teenage girl and all, but she needs to just chill a bit and stop sabotaging things before they even get a chance to start!

Molly kissing the dino on the snout was adorable. I liked Molly a lot more this episode -- she seemed more capable than usual.

Alex was fine. He's the least interesting of the kids to me, but I don't dislike him, and I think Nico's being a little hard on him. Like the AV Club reviewer said, Chase smashing that laptop was more of a betrayal than anything Alex did, and they've all pretty much forgiven him already.

Share Post

I think it would have been more plausible for Gert to have been mad at Chase for the sex having been so quick. What did that take, a minute or two?. "Can't manage an on/off switch" indeed. :D

The kids' storyline is too uneven; one second they're all at each others' throats- the next they've all got the feels and talk like they're one happy family. They started out at a much more gradual pace than their relationships are ending up. It feels rushed.

Likewise, as much as I have enjoyed the parents' storylines and feel they have been much better handled than in the books, I wouldn't have minded at all if they'd been made a little darker, more criminal. Yes, they've apparently assisted in the murders of 15 kids (at least), but other than that, they don't seem to have been terribly nefarious. The Wilders seem to have possibly been involved in some shady real estate schemes, but everyone else is pretty benign. I think it would be easier to buy the kids' utter disdain if they'd been up to some additional shenanigans. (And Chase needs to figure out who's team he's playing on instead of flipflopping every week.)

Share Post

5 hours ago, Cranberry said:

Alex was fine. He's the least interesting of the kids to me, but I don't dislike him, and I think Nico's being a little hard on him. Like the AV Club reviewer said, Chase smashing that laptop was more of a betrayal than anything Alex did, and they've all pretty much forgiven him already.

Yeah, it's kind of horrifying that Alex, who literally did nothing wrong, is being punished while everyone seems to have gotten over what Chase did. 

And yeah, maybe there's been build up about Karolina's feelings for Nico --- but the reciprocal frankly came out of nowhere. 

It's painfully obvious that they contrived the Alex/Nico break-up to make Karolina/Nico a thing. And yeah, I know it's a teen show and all these 6 will probably end up sleeping/kissing each other before the series is done, but they could have tried a little harder to make it not look like they wanted to pay the barest amount of lip-service to the source material couple (Alex/Nico) before they tanked it for their shiny new OTP.

Share Post

TV!Gert is the worse. Comic!Gert would hate TV!Gert too. 

I was irritated at the whole Molly truck thing. I kept wondering why they didn't put the truck in neutral and all push it. Now she's going to fall asleep during the fight with the parents.

Share Post

I get that teenagers are, well, teenagers. I know I could be a cranky irrational mess at that age so I try to cut high school characters some slack. But DAMN, Gert. It's not like you had sex with Chase and then he didn't call you for two weeks. It just happened, like, twenty minutes ago and you are all currently trying to save the world. Did you expect him to stop at the mall on the way to the construction site so he could buy you a diamond ring? Get a grip, girl.

I had to laugh when Alex seriously tried to tell everyone that AV club used to be cool. No, Alex, it was never cool. It's okay if you enjoyed being in AV club but never try to convince other people that it was ever cool. As Gert pointed out, AV club is teen movie shorthand for geek.

I know Robert is in the dog house with just about everyone, but I totally cracked up when Jonah said that he had replaced Geoffrey's men and Robert was like, "Uh, the church has better security?" Say what you will about Robert and Tina (and there's a lot), but Robert was telling the truth when he told Geoffrey (1) Tina didn't kill Molly's parents and (2) the incriminating burn that Geoffrey pointed out at the funeral really was from Tina burning herself on a frying pan!

I'm not surprised that Leslie was the one who killed Molly's parents. She would do anything for Jonah. What was more surprising was that Daddy Frank has been playing Karolina because he wants to run the church. I get that he's been portrayed as power hungry and feeling inferior to Leslie since the first episode, so it make sense that he is doing whatever he can to claw his way up. I really thought the one thing that would be off limits was Karolina but I guess he's fine with Jonah's wrath hitting his daughter. Or maybe Jonah already told him that Karolina is really his (Jonah's) daughter and that's why he doesn't care what happens to her as a result of being Jonah's little spy. I guess the one good thing to come out of this is that Karolina will finally realize not to trust Frank.

I have to be honest - when the adults were talking about how they'd been waiting almost twenty years to dig this hole, I was thinking uh, what's been stopping you from digging a big ass hole for two decades? But later when the kids were talking about how all of this was a cover up, it made sense that they needed a way to be a little bit inconspicuous and less obvious about what they were doing. I don't know why it took almost twenty years for that to happen, but still.

When Brandon's bro friends from lacrosse hugged him, I thought they were just lulling him into a false sense of security so they could do something to him, but I guess they were really being sincere because Victor is in such bad shape. I guess yay for not being complete assholes? They're still gross rapey assholes, but they are capable of showing some sympathy for other non-rapey situations.

Share Post

Were they trying to suggest that Jonah is also Nico's father?

"And what are you bringing to the party, Alex?" Some of us have been asking this since the first episode.

Yes, they've apparently assisted in the murders of 15 kids (at least), but other than that, they don't seem to have been terribly nefarious.

Not! Evil! Enough!

Share Post

4 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

"And what are you bringing to the party, Alex?" Some of us have been asking this since the first episode.

Well not all the kids could trip and fall over a pet dragon that's magically enslaved to them, or a staff that their mom invented, or win(?) the mutation/genetic lottery of super-powers. Chase is the only person, besides Alex, in the team who actually got his own skill-set through hard-work and grit, and didn't just wake up with powers. Alex is the one who got the group together, and saved the group that very night, not through super-powers but by fast thinking. He's the one who cracked WIZARD's security to get the evidence they could have used to put their parents away --- which Chase destroyed because since his abusive father (who was probably even dead) had started being nice to him, all those innocent kids could go hang. He's the one who's constantly coming up with plans for the team, and trying to keep them on track, while being level-headed enough not to blab to the parents about it. (Molly, Karolina, Chase - I'm looking at y'all.) He has his own share of teen/romantic drama, but he's not letting his angst with Nico jeopardize the team or their work together. He's not hitting on other people's girlfriends, or trying to bully his friend to come out of the closet to service his own selfish romantic interest.

Alex arguably brings the most to the table than all the others - and he certainly takes less from it for selfish, stupid, short-sighted reasons than the rest of them. 

Share Post

I get that this is its own thing, and should be judged separately from the comics, but you know what the comics did pretty quickly? GOT ON WITH THE STORY! I get them wanting to build more character stuff, but this is ridiculous! 

Slow your rolls, Gert. I know she`s a teen, and teen love is tough, but she is just being ridiculous. There is shit going down, now is not the time for this!

The parent vs kid show down was cool, but I wish Old Lace had shown up. Now THAT would have freaked them out. 

Share Post

I can never decide how I feel about this show.  I have to agree with the AV review and say that many of the emotional beats are correct in terms of plot, but unearned in terms of actual story development. 

Like, I get that Gert and Chase have legitimately spent a good deal of time together during the show and he did call her first last week.... but its only been like two weeks within the show's timeline and the transition to trailing after Karolina with zero awareness of Gert as a female to "I noticed you".... The fuck?  It would have made more sense to at least have him say "I should have noticed you" or "I noticed you.  But I should have seen you."  - though that distinction might be a bit much for a 16 year old.   

All that said, Gert and Chase are kind of my favorite characters...Which is odd because they have each pissed me off the most of the group in their respective ways., Gert by being an asshole about Chase to Karolina and to Chase himself in the middle of an actual life and death situation and Chase by destroying the laptop and being an obtuse dipshit about 70% of the time.  The thing is, both Chase and Gert's flaws (self-absorption and obtuseness) are consistent with their ages and they are both also very nice people who are played by charming actors. 

I also like Molly and Karolina, but that is more just because they are nice people.  I find Nico and Alex more challenging. I want to like them... and I don't dislike them.  I just don't find them interesting. 

Edited by RachelKM.

Share Post

Alex arguably brings the most to the table than all the others - and he certainly takes less from it for selfish, stupid, short-sighted reasons than the rest of them.  

Maybe, but he doesn't seem to have any cool, physical manifestation of his powers, such as they are. Just standing around being brainy isn't as eye-grabbing as shooting lightning bolts out of your fists or picking up cars and moving them out of the way.

Seriously though, I get it. He's the leader and he's trying to lead by example.

Share Post

2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Maybe, but he doesn't seem to have any cool, physical manifestation of his powers, such as they are. Just standing around being brainy isn't as eye-grabbing as shooting lightning bolts out of your fists or picking up cars and moving them out of the way.

The question was what he brought to the table, not if he had a cool power that he stumbled into by luck. And he's not *standing around* being brainy. He's getting stuff done like breaking into Wizard server rooms, hacking heavily encrypted computers that Lazerboy destroyed (thanks Chase), and coming up with missions that actually work when the others aren't angsting over their love-lives to stay on task.

Compared to Chase sabotaging all their efforts because of his possibly dead asshole of a father or Gert snipping over not having the talk 47 seconds after doing it with Chase (in the middle of a mission!) or Karolina blabbing to her dad or Molly being as unsubtle as, well, Old Lace to Katherine or Nico's brilliant idea of charging her sister's phone in her room... Alex being able to stay level headed and herd these guys is pretty damn impressive. 

Share Post

The question was what he brought to the table, not if he had a cool power that he stumbled into by luck.

Rhenzy Feliz, is that you? ;-)

The idiom "bring to table" generally means, "we're offering this thing, what are you offering that's at least of equivalent value?" Each kid showed their physical superpower ready to use and as such, Alex didn't have one that he could offer in the moment. What he does can't be demonstrated on command like their physical feats can. (Unless you count hacking.)

In superhero TV shows and movies I think people expect the characters to be able to do something physically powerful and possibly destructive right now that can be seen. Alex doesn't do that and seems, to me anyway, like an outlier in the genre. It's kind of like how Batman gets shade because he doesn't have any powers other than the use of the best technology money can buy or build. He mostly relies on gadgets to supplement his own human physical strength. Alex doesn't really use any physical stuff at all, it's mostly his brainpower. Intellect isn't bad, it's just harder for others to see...as compared to throwing a car.

Share Post

2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

The idiom "bring to table" generally means, "we're offering this thing, what are you offering that's at least of equivalent value?" Each kid showed their physical superpower ready to use and as such, Alex didn't have one that he could offer in the moment. What he does can't be demonstrated on command like their physical feats can. (Unless you count hacking.)

Batman brings something to the table because he has resources he uses for good. Superpowers have never been a qualification. Super-villains also have powers, by the way.

Like I'm not sure what you're arguing at this point. Your initial question of what Alex brings to the table has been answered. Now you feel the need to qualify that value is exclusively physical superpowers, and not, you know, getting shit done. Basically shifting the goal post to find someway to devalue Alex.

Share Post

18 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

If your point is that in the superhero pose off at the end Alex had nothing to show, then you are correct. However, neither did a staffless Nico or Gert with a velociraptor in the trunk of her Volvo. The 2 of them looked just as impotent as Alex in their bootleg hero poses. Alex is the planner. He's smart. He is the only one who has been on task nearly the entire time. But the point is that Alex brings a lot to the table even if what he does or brings to the table doesn't look cool. Unless Nico can figure out how to get the staff back or make another, she's going to look just as "useless" as Alex from here on out.

Share Post

On 1/3/2018 at 5:40 PM, RachelKM said:

All that said, Gert and Chase are kind of my favorite characters...Which is odd because they have each pissed me off the most of the group in their respective ways., Gert by being an asshole about Chase to Karolina and to Chase himself in the middle of an actual life and death situation and Chase by destroying the laptop and being an obtuse dipshit about 70% of the time.  The thing is, both Chase and Gert's flaws (self-absorption and obtuseness) are consistent with their ages and they are both also very nice people who are played by charming actors. 

I also like Molly and Karolina, but that is more just because they are nice people.  I find Nico and Alex more challenging. I want to like them... and I don't dislike them.  I just don't find them interesting. 

This! Although I am finding it hard to like Gert even though I really wish I did and I normally really would like her type. I loved the actress in One Day At a Time, but I'm not really a fan of her here.

My favorite is Chase, but that's almost entirely just because I find the actor very warm and compelling. And I am a fan of the cliche he is lol.

Share Post

Like I'm not sure what you're arguing at this point. Your initial question of what Alex brings to the table has been answered. Now you feel the need to qualify that value is exclusively physical superpowers, and not, you know, getting shit done. Basically shifting the goal post to find someway to devalue Alex.

No, I'm expressing a tongue-in-cheek opinion about a TV show. The only thing I'm qualifying is my initial failure to include adequate words to make that clearer.

One thing I am sure of though is that you don't have the ability to tell me what I feel or need. And unless you're a mod, you're not telling me I can't express an opinion you don't agree with.

Unless Nico can figure out how to get the staff back or make another, she's going to look just as "useless" as Alex from here on out.

That would be an interesting plot hole. I imagine the writers will fix it unless they plan to kill her off or remove her from the group.

But the point is that Alex brings a lot to the table even if what he does or brings to the table doesn't look cool.

I don't disagree. Gifts differing.

Share Post