S06.E10: By Any Means Parts One and Two 2017.12.26

15 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Tao has been underused the whole series, been around from day 1 but has barely gotten any focus, he’s a core member of the show but gets very little of the spotlight, we haven’t heard about his wife or children in ages and this year it’s been noticeable how he’s been shifted to the background. 

As for Sykes, she’s window dressing now. Where’s Cooper, I’ve always liked him and hope to see him again before the show ends, Sykes hasn’t even talked about him in a long time, but then again Sykes has barely been on screen this year. 

Provenza is about the only thing that is good about the show right now, like others said, he was awesome in the last episodes. The others have been underused, and I have no idea why they added the awful Paige to the show, Nolan has gotten on my nerves as of late and the Rusty/Gus stuff I don’t care about, but I have a feeling when Duff talked about a satisfying ending he meant an ending of Rusty and Gus living happily ever after and everyone else getting no focus. 

Such a disappointing ending overall to the show. 

Tao works on "Badge of Justice" and explains the obvious like it's rocket science: "Everyone gather around. I theorized that if you press the power button on a device like this, it would turn on.  So I moved my finger towards the button and applied a little pressure -- y'know this was just like an episode of Badge of Justice ..."  At least he gets more character development than Sykes.  Sykes is pretty and doesn't smile much.  That's basically all she does now.

I don't mind Paige as a character, but why?  They kill of Sharon and waste screen time on new characters and super villains instead of giving the characters we've been with for over a decade some spotlight to grieve or grow or anything.  We should get an entire episode devoted to Julio.  He's one of the most fully developed and interesting people on the show.  I hope he gets more before it ends.

Share Post

If my Nolan theory is correct then I  think because of the death of Commander Raydor real world gender issues as well as Stroh not knowing Nolan means Lieutenant Provenza pulls Detective Skyes aside to do the invisible following,  that is her specialty from SIS. Nolan on the other hand gets next to you and makes you think he is a friend,  not invisibility 

Share Post

On 12/28/2017 at 9:31 AM, Cocoabean said:

Interesting that there was a closed casket at the funeral. Still dangling the possibility that Sharon could appear again? 

No - I've never seen an open casket at a funeral.  At the wake, yes, most of the time, but never at the funeral itself.

Share Post

agreed - I've been to several Catholic funerals and the casket was always closed in the church during the service.  Was anyone else surprised there was no graveside portion of the service?

Share Post

2 minutes ago, kilda said:

agreed - I've been to several Catholic funerals and the casket was always closed in the church during the service.  Was anyone else surprised there was no graveside portion of the service?

I  don't know most shows except daily soaps with unlimited time normally only show one, often going with a combination service grave side with no chapel scenes 

Share Post

They lost me with the neighbor kid who just happens to have a picture of a gate lock on his phone, and they needed that photo WHY??  What was the point of him sending that and thus gaining access to everything on their phones?  How does that particular photo help their investigation?   And they don't check into the kid living next door?  I get it, they are assuming Stroh killed Rios, but you don't run some type of routine check on the person living next door?   Jesus, they are supposed to be seasoned detectives!  Verify everything you morons!  

What terrible acting by the guy who plays Gus:  "Wait a minute, is that Stroh?"  I thought the actor realized how unbelievable it was that Gus would never have seen a picture of Stroh before, and thus had extreme difficulty in selling that line.  He was embarrassed to have to say that.  

I call bullshit on not one of them, especially Buzz or Tao, noticing something is up with their phones.  And then the guy manages to corrupt the file in seconds, in front of their very eyes!  

I've been to many, many Catholic funerals and have never seen an open casket, unless there is a visitation prior to the funeral, and the coffin is open then in the vestibule of the church.  But it is closed before the start of mass, the family puts the pall on the casket in the back of church after the priest says a blessing, then the casket is taken down the center aisle and is there, as Sharon's was, during the mass.  The pall is supposed to be a reminder of baptismal garments, representing the full-circle of one's life.  The pall is removed at the back of church before the coffin is carried out to the hearse.  It is not given to the family; the church retains it to use at the next funeral.  

Share Post

19 hours ago, betsyboo said:

Oooooh at least watch the first 10 mins to see Provenza’s eulogy. He put on a master class in acting. 

That was special. Thanks for the heads up.

Share Post

3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

No - I've never seen an open casket at a funeral.  At the wake, yes, most of the time, but never at the funeral itself.

3 hours ago, kilda said:

I was at a Roman Catholic funeral (unless it was another type of service, but a Mass was said), where they casket was open at the back of the church. IIRC it stayed in that location throughout the service.

But my main point was that we did not see Sharon's body, whether at funeral or a viewing/wake.

Share Post

12 minutes ago, Cocoabean said:

But my main point was that we did not see Sharon's body, whether at funeral or a viewing/wake.

I'm glad.  I can't imagine Mary McDonnell having to go through the emotion of filming Sharon's final scene, just wanting to get it done and get out of there for the last time, and then the next week having to come back for half a day, in which she has to get into a casket and play dead while listening to people mourn Sharon.

Share Post

On 12/29/2017 at 11:50 AM, sarthaz said:

I enjoyed the enthusiasm of the character even if:

1) It's so far beyond realistic that he's doing what he's doing that I cannot suspend that much disbelief

2) There's no way in Hell he'd go into old lady's home without a disguise.  That part was just stupid writing.  He's surprised there are cameras in there?  Given that her caretaker is this uber camera spy guy, and the whole premise behind this whole storyline is hacking into cameras, that makes zero sense.  Come on.

Other things that bothered me:

1) Rusty's "sister" can't bear to lose him?  Please----So very true!

2) Gus finally recognizes Stroh! recalling how dumb it was that he hadn't already seen his picture on TV or at Major Crimes or with Rusty.  Even security dude knew Stroh was a serial killer when they mentioned his name.

3) New Captain is continually being written as a money-obsessed moron.  He was a cool character when they brought him in, but his constant pushback against Provenza just makes him seem incompetent.  Someone hacks into the security cam footage to delete all evidence of a serial killer that an eye witness tells you was there, and this isn't cause for the department to act?  You've gotta be kidding me.- Add to them alluding that he was worried about cleaning out the office or appointing a new person the day of the funeral.

I like seeing my favorite characters, and I hope Flynn and Provenza get their moments saving the day, but the writing on this show has gone to shit.  I've enjoyed this show for many years, so I won't let this horrible limp to the finish line tarnish my opinion of it as a whole, but at this point, it can't end soon enough.  Hopefully the final showdown is worth it.

I wouldn't hold my breath.  This entire season has been a boring let down...and that was before they killed Sharon.  This episode and the "back story" on Stroh just seems a little too late.  Wouldn't they have already dug up this information a long time ago?  Especially when he killed people in the court system? 

As for everyone talking about her being the "main character," and being killed as I recall when they were pitching the show the main thing they said was that unlike The Closer, which was about THE CLOSER, Brenda Leigh, this show would be more of ensemble focusing on the entire department, which was why it was called Major Crimes and not Capt Raydor, or something more focused on her.  Yes, they had to have a leader, but the show was supposed to be about the whole squad and watching them all evolve and how they solved crimes.  One of the other differences was supposed to be them making deals instead of going for the jugular of sentencing,which was why the D.A. role was expanded a little.    Although they did some of that initially, it quickly became less about the Major Crimes team and how they solved murders and more about Rusty and his insecurities and family problems,  Sharon and Rusty, Sharon and Flynn, and well, Sharon's dry musings, ex-husband, kids, faith, etc., none of which in my opinion were as entertaining as Fitz, Brenda's parents or even her love of her cats.   I limped along because I loved the rest of the squad as it became increasingly clear that they were not going to follow the formula that they said.  I don't need romance and family problems with my police procedureals or my super hero shows. 

The few times they veered away we got the Julio with the racist foster child, Sykes and her boring romance with the terrible MJW, Buzz and his quest for his father's killer, Provenza and his unrealistic romance, Flynn and  his health problems (because those were so interesting) and I don't even remember anything personal about Tao.  All of those plots were given a small amount of time compared to the Rusty show...the civilian who is allowed to have access to all kinds of information about ongoing cases and to come and go as he pleases..allowed by Sharon who was always against/critical of how Brenda didn't follow the rules.  

Edited by catrice2.

Share Post

So, here's my idea just to ruin TNT's plans regarding their new shows-everyone who is in AARP just writes to TNT and tells them that they (the AARP members) are so excited about the new shows and are sure to write on the shows' comment pages how much AARP viewers LOVE these shows.  That should kill any buzz TNT hopes to get based on how edgy and hip their new shows are (yes, I am a member of AARP and I think it would really upset TNT if they thought older viewers would take the edge factor away from the new shows...).

Anyway, back to Major Crimes-these two episodes were really poorly written (with the exception of the funeral).  Not checking the 'neighbor boy's' story?  Unbelievable.  Not noticing inconsistencies with their cell phones and batteries?  Unbelievable.  Asking over and over 'how is he a step ahead of us' and not even considering any breach?  Unbelievable.  Am I in for the remaining two episodes?  Absolutely.

I think that Paige is either set to star her own spin-off or will be a victim.  They are focusing just too much on her.  Her reaction shots at the funeral, her attending the meeting with the chief, and her going to see Stohl's mother with the doctor.  I just don't understand why they are focusing so much on her.

Share Post

2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I think that Paige is either set to star her own spin-off or will be a victim.  They are focusing just too much on her.  Her reaction shots at the funeral, her attending the meeting with the chief, and her going to see Stohl's mother with the doctor.  I just don't understand why they are focusing so much on her.

Paige I think is Provenza's Rusty, a service character who is basically there as a dog to pet, to show how really cuddly their master is. (Sorry, no, Duff's favoritism has always been extended to Buzz Watson, because Philip Keen, not Rusty.) So you may well be right. That'll give G.W. Bailey his big big scenes.

Share Post

I don’t even know if I’m going to watch the last two episodes.

I don’t think Sharon’s death was edgy or realistic or anything other than stupid, unimaginative writing.  “Hey, how do we end the show?  I know, let’s kill Sharon off.”  Because there’s no other way to end a show, right?

I feel annoyed that I spent all these years watching this show.  I guess TNT stopped caring because they stopped putting this show on demand and their app doesn’t work with Time Warner anymore.

As for Stroh, I can’t take Billy Burke seriously anymore, since he starred in not one but two ridiculous shows, Revolution and Zoo, the latter being more ridiculous than the former ( and I won’t even talk about Twilight).

BTW, the super villain and super villain hacker stuff has been done forever.  BORING.

As for TNT, they like USA want to win awards because nice little shows might generate fans but they don't win Emmys.  USA was just another network until Mr Robot came alone, now they're "bold" and TNT wants that too, they want to be a network that doesn't just carry Law and Order reruns.  

Provenza and his unrealistic romance

What was wrong with his romance?

Edited by Neurochick.

Share Post

I just think that since they had to devote so much time to Rusty that they did not build up Provenza's romance to make us understand how and why she would be interested in him, especially since he was involved in sending her grand daughter to jail which has to have some conflict with the family.  I don't know, there just did not seem to be a lot of passion to the romance, and I think that even at his age it is possible to have passion.  It is more like his wife is taking care of her grandfather.  I confess I missed a lot of episodes and fast forwarded through others, so maybe there was something I did not see. I honestly do not remember much about that couple.  I just know we went from Provenza and Andy and their shennanigans to Andy being a different person, and now Provenza repeating that Stroh won't be in a courtroom and "by any means necessary."  They went from lusting after and chasing young women to overnight settled and married to "normal" women. I know what is supposed to show growth, but they didn't really show how they go there.  I think Provenza's romance was more natural than Andy and Sharon's....that just always seemed so awkward and forced. 

What's wrong with Law and Order?  When networks stop playing those re runs, I don't know what I will do! 

I honestly don't know if Billy Burke himself is taking this seriously.  He looked bored in all of his scenes and just had a flat affect.  Stroh never did it for me even on the Closer, so maybe I am biased.  Again, I don't think he was in character when he said something like "I am ready for this to be over," or "I need this to be over already." 

I am not surprised by the writing and how this is ending because of the whole Turell Baylor mess on The Closer that dragged down the last few seasons. 

Share Post

On 12/29/2017 at 1:01 PM, sarthaz said:

Tao works on "Badge of Justice" and explains the obvious like it's rocket science: "Everyone gather around. I theorized that if you press the power button on a device like this, it would turn on.  So I moved my finger towards the button and applied a little pressure -- y'know this was just like an episode of Badge of Justice ..."  At least he gets more character development than Sykes.  Sykes is pretty and doesn't smile much.  That's basically all she does now.

I don't mind Paige as a character, but why?  They kill of Sharon and waste screen time on new characters and super villains instead of giving the characters we've been with for over a decade some spotlight to grieve or grow or anything.  We should get an entire episode devoted to Julio.  He's one of the most fully developed and interesting people on the show.  I hope he gets more before it ends.

I agree, we deserve an entire episode devoted to Julio, he’s my second favorite, behind Provenza, he’s a really complex and interesting character. He’s really gotten the short end of the stick this year, there are so many interesting stories they could explore with him but we’ve gotten nothing this year, I would really like to know more about how he is handling losing his mom and then Sharon while also adjusting to being a foster parent. But Julio has gotten nothing, not even any dialogue with the other characters asking how he is doing. 

Tao has just been around forever but doesn’t have much, other than his consulting work on Badge of Justice which apparently has gotten him some famous connections and a lot of money, we don’t know anything. I’ve always wanted to see his wife and son on Major Crimes and see what they are up to now but they are rarely even referenced.

Sykes is complete window dressing. 

I have no idea why they added the irritating Paige instead of just giving us more storylines on the characters we know and love before we say goodbye to them forever. And it was pathetic how they didn’t have any of the recurring characters other than Kendall at Sharon’s funeral, not even main character Dr Morales. 

Provenza is about the only good thing about the show now, and I personally love his relationship with Patrice, I think it is well done and I’m glad that he finally has a stable relationship, I think he’s always wanted that but has never found it until now. 

Don’t know why the show has fallen so far down but Duff and the writers have shit the bed with the final season. I know TNT fucked it up by making it all multi part episodes but Duff and company could’ve done a better job, no excuse for killing Sharon. 

Share Post

On 12/29/2017 at 8:20 PM, catrice2 said:

As for everyone talking about her being the "main character," and being killed as I recall when they were pitching the show the main thing they said was that unlike The Closer, which was about THE CLOSER, Brenda Leigh, this show would be more of ensemble focusing on the entire department, which was why it was called Major Crimes and not Capt Raydor, or something more focused on her.

I don't mean this flippantly or as a knee-jerk annoyance, but let's be honest here: Rusty is the main character.  He's had at least a dozen B-stories, where 30% of entire episodes were devoted to his adventures against the backdrop of a major crime.  Sharon became the co-main character IMO as much because Rusty lived with her and he needed more people to talk to.  I know we all joke and lament "The Rusty Show", but no single character has been given as much screen time and character stories in the entire show's run other than Brenda.  And it's clear he's going to be the focus of the finale.  Stroh will either get Gus or Rusty, and Rusty will use his dying "mother's" final words of wisdom to defeat his opponent.  I can only hope it's Provenza who gets the kill, but they'll probably dilute it as Provenza saving Rusty from having a kill on his conscience or some crap like that.

Share Post

On 12/31/2017 at 2:01 PM, sarthaz said:

I don't mean this flippantly or as a knee-jerk annoyance, but let's be honest here: Rusty is the main character.  He's had at least a dozen B-stories, where 30% of entire episodes were devoted to his adventures against the backdrop of a major crime.  Sharon became the co-main character IMO as much because Rusty lived with her and he needed more people to talk to.  I know we all joke and lament "The Rusty Show", but no single character has been given as much screen time and character stories in the entire show's run other than Brenda.  And it's clear he's going to be the focus of the finale.  Stroh will either get Gus or Rusty, and Rusty will use his dying "mother's" final words of wisdom to defeat his opponent.  I can only hope it's Provenza who gets the kill, but they'll probably dilute it as Provenza saving Rusty from having a kill on his conscience or some crap like that.

I don't know the purpose of bringing Rios back or mentioning that Brenda and others had been searching for the same people in the search engine.  The whole security team checking the house and leaving her out there to swim alone was just pathetic.  I personally think, as I  mentioned before, that Stroh's mom is not the woman they showed us.  I think she was the woman that opened the door for them, or she is still in hiding.  If she had dementia like that at some point she would have done something to alert him to her location...forgot and called an old friend...something.   Did anyone else find it strange how Dylan looked at the camera when he was with his "girlfriend"  and then started assuring her that no one was going to hurt "the old lady?"  Did he do that because he thought Stroh was watching?  I thought hurting her ....eventually....was part of the plan.  Speaking of which, what do we know about the step sister? It just seems to me Stroh would have more than one accomplice.   It was also strange how the hacker kept calling the blonde his "girlfriend." 

I agree with the above entirely.  Unfortunately I came across a rerun yesterday  where Buzz was investigating his father's death and who was there?  Rusty!  Pretty much ordering Sharon to get the videotape cleaned up....and she was meekly agreeing there was a way to make that happen.  It just so irritated me about what happened to this show that I had to turn the channel.   Buzz couldn't even be the star in his own personal story.   Unlike the Closer, because of the Rusty show I doubt I will be looking for these reruns. 

I think the finale will be a combination of all the theories that we have put together....but one thing we can be sure of Rusty will be front and center.   I agree, the foreshadowing was there with Sharon's advice about knowing your opponent or feeling for them or whatever she said. 

I can't remember what two shows the actor that plays Julio has already joined...I know one is the spin off of Sons of Anarchy. I can totally see him on that show.  I am really hoping they write a great ending for Julio that is more than just his new ward.  Even the special bond between Julio and Provenza was put aside to make Provenza a sounding board for.....yes Rusty! 

Edited by catrice2.

Share Post

The actor who plays Julio has been in Breaking Bad and its spin-off Better Call Saul, but I don't know if he's still working on the latter.

Share Post

53 minutes ago, kieyra said:

The actor who plays Julio has been in Breaking Bad and its spin-off Better Call Saul, but I don't know if he's still working on the latter.

Ramon Cruz (Julio) is supposed to be in Kurt Sutter's The Mayans, a spin-off of Sons of Anarchy; don't know when the pilot is sceduled to air.

Share Post

3 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I don't know the purpose of bringing Rios back or mentioning that Brenda and others had been searching for the same people in the search engine.  The whole security team checking the house and leaving her out there to swim alone was just pathetic.  I personally think, as I  mentioned before, that Stroh's mom is not the woman they showed us.  I think she was the woman that opened the door for them, or she is still in hiding.  If she had dementia like that at some point she would have done something to alert him to her location...forgot and called an old friend...something.   Did anyone else find it strange how Dylan looked at the camera and then started assuring her that no one was going to hurt "the old lady?"  Did he do that because he thought Stroh was watching?  I thought hurting her ....eventually....was part of the plan.  Speaking of which, what do we know about the step sister? It just seems to me Stroh would have more than one accomplice.   It was also strange how the hacker kept calling the blonde his "girlfriend." 

I agree with the above entirely.  Unfortunately I came across a rerun yesterday  where Buzz was investigating his father's death and who was there?  Rusty!  Pretty much ordering Sharon to get the videotape cleaned up....and she was meekly agreeing there was a way to make that happen.  It just so irritated me about what happened to this show that I had to turn the channel.   Buzz couldn't even be the star in his own personal story.   Unlike the Closer, because of the Rusty show I doubt I will be looking for these reruns. 

I think the finale will be a combination of all the theories that we have put together....but one thing we can be sure of Rusty will be front and center.   I agree, the foreshadowing was there with Sharon's advice about knowing your opponent or feeling for them or whatever she said. 

I can't remember what two shows the actor that plays Julio has already joined...I know one is the spin off of Sons of Anarchy. I can totally see him on that show.  I am really hoping they write a great ending for Julio that is more than just his new ward.  Even the special bond between Julio and Provenza was put aside to make Provenza a sounding board for.....yes Rusty! 

The entire Stroh-hacker plot is confusing for me. I will have to rewatch to see if I understand it more, but I’m not sure if the old lady is Stroh’s mom or not and I’m unsure about the role of the step sister and half brother, all very confusing, and I’m really not sure of anything. I hope they clear it up but right now this plot is more confusing than Hindsight or White Lies. 

I’m also irritated by the huge focus on Rusty, he’s Duff’s favorite and it’s really showing, of course he will be the focus of the finale. I’ve never been a Rusty hater, but I’m not a big fans of his either and I don’t like how much he has been pushed to the forefront this season and I am irritated with the focus on him and Gus, I don’t give a flying fuck whether they end up together or not, and I think Gus is a major douchebag for sleeping with his even bigger douchebag boss and telling him personal stuff about Rusty, Rusty should dump his ass IMO. 

This entire season has been weaker on a lot of levels but mainly the personal stuff taking front and center, this is the first time I’ve felt the Flynn-Sharon relationship upstaged the show, before that I thought it had been kept in the background nicely but this year there was way too much of that and it reminded me of why I hate main characters hooking up on shows. And killing off Sharon was just inexcusable. 

Interestingly enough, the Provenza-Rusty relationship is my favorite part of Rusty, that relationship adds depth to both characters. But I couldn’t agree more about the close relationship between Provenza and Sanchez being pushed aside, they’ve always shown great care for each other and I’ve been very disappointed how we’ve seen none of them this season, Provenza would certainly talk to Julio about how is doing after his mom’s death and taking care of Mark, but we’ve gotten no scenes of them this year which is incredibly disappointing given their close bond and that they are my 2 favorite characters. Only sign of their relationship we’ve gotten this year is their embrace when Julio returned from bereavement leave, I found that noteworthy because Julio didn’t hug any of the other team members and Provenza isn’t at all a touchy feely person, he’s the opposite of that. 

Share Post

10 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

The entire Stroh-hacker plot is confusing for me. I will have to rewatch to see if I understand it more, but I’m not sure if the old lady is Stroh’s mom or not and I’m unsure about the role of the step sister and half brother, all very confusing, and I’m really not sure of anything. I hope they clear it up but right now this plot is more confusing than Hindsight or White Lies. 

The woman is Stroh's mother, unless Major Crimes is playing a total con on Stroh (and us).

The Step-Sister and her father were clues leading Major Crimes to Stroh's mom. It seems like the Master Plan was to use Major Crimes to find his mom because he couldn't find her on his own. At this point, every death from Stroh's past seemed to be him leading Major Crimes down a path (with bread crumbs) hoping they'd follow the path and solve the mystery for him. 

The big question for me is the Step Brother. What is Stroh's plan for him? Cyber Boy seems to want his money but, I think that's his own plan. So why does Stroh want Step Bro? Does he just want to kill Step Bro out of hatred/jealousy? 

Share Post

11 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I’m also irritated by the huge focus on Rusty, he’s Duff’s favorite and it’s really showing, of course he will be the focus of the finale. I’ve never been a Rusty hater, but I’m not a big fans of his either and I don’t like how much he has been pushed to the forefront this season and I am irritated with the focus on him and Gus, I don’t give a flying fuck whether they end up together or not, and I think Gus is a major douchebag for sleeping with his even bigger douchebag boss and telling him personal stuff about Rusty, Rusty should dump his ass IMO. 

I wouldn't hate Rusty if the show hadn't become so overwhelmingly focused on him.  The idea of his character is fine, but everything is tangentially about him, and his stories aren't written well.  The core of this show was procedural crime investigation, not adolescent romance and melodrama (I know Rusty's an adult, but his misadventures are often childish).  Duff must have seen some bad stuff in his past, because Rusty feels like writer therapy, not quality television.

Share Post

1 hour ago, sarthaz said:

I wouldn't hate Rusty if the show hadn't become so overwhelmingly focused on him.  The idea of his character is fine, but everything is tangentially about him, and his stories aren't written well.  The core of this show was procedural crime investigation, not adolescent romance and melodrama (I know Rusty's an adult, but his misadventures are often childish).  Duff must have seen some bad stuff in his past, because Rusty feels like writer therapy, not quality television.

In several of my alternate universes (where, among other differences, I am either a physicist, art teacher, therapist, or POTUS, etc.) each season of Major Crimes featured Rusty in just one story arc that spanned no more than 5 episodes.

Share Post

I re-watched just the funeral, Sharon's video, and the characters talking about Sharon in part one, hoping I'll finally say good-bye and stop randomly muttering "I can't believe they killed Sharon" at some point during each day.

G.W. Bailey delivered the eulogy perfectly, and I love the way he tells Ricky to save room for the rest of them when Ricky - in one of the most-moving moments of the episode to me - says he wants to move into the Christmas village, and curl up like a ball.*  I didn't notice the first time that he's stroking Emily's first ballet shoes (that made her start crying and leave the room) while he says it. 

*I love it on its own, for how it captures how he just wants to escape reality, but also for the callback to the Christmas episode when Ricky is completely bummed out that Sharon threw away the Christmas somethings (pine cones turned into elves, maybe?) he'd made - and named - as a kid since they were falling apart, and then wants to know where the Christmas village is.  The kids wind up getting it out of storage and setting it up in the break room when Sharon gets stuck at work, Andy hides a present in it (that scene got cut), and it's this lovely scene where Sharon has both families - her kids, and her squad - with her and is so happy.

Now I'm going to watch it again, skipping over the Sharon scenes, and just watch the case that I could not at all concentrate on last week, then watch part two, so I know what the hell is going on with Stroh leading into tonight's episode.  And however he is finally dispatched with as the show ends, it better comport with this:

Today we honor Commander Sharon Raydor.  A cop's cop, an exceptional mother, a loving wife, and a great good friend.  She was also a person of faith; she believed in rules, in law, and in God.  These beliefs gave her the strength to lead, and compelled her to uphold the values by which we live.

Those of us gathered here today feel her passing as a personal tragedy, for which we will mourn for the rest of our lives.  But to the community in which she lived, and the civilization she struggled to defend, her death is nothing short of calamity.

In moments like this, we often hear it’s better to light a candle than to curse the darkness, and so in my heart, I light a candle in Sharon’s honor.  But I curse the darkness also, this awful shadow falling across our hearts, the cloud darkening the principles for which she stood.

I ask that, with Sharon as our example, we leave here today recommitted to the rule of law and dedicated to the cause of justice for which she sacrificed her life.

Share Post

Well, whaddya know - if I watch the Stroh case while not blubbering into my drink about Sharon being dead, it comes across better.

I still hate, with the heat of a nova, the super-villain nature of this.  I do on general principle, and especially on this series, so rooted in the reality of crime.  And, holy hell, the accomplice is an annoying little fuck.  Plus, the parallels with Rusty and the "no wonder he hates women; his mom abandoned him" shit can get stuffed.

However, I think I at least understand what's a real clue and what's a planted one, so the narrative of the past is easy to follow, and, I'll grudgingly admit, marginally interesting.  But I still don't know Stroh's ultimate end game -- why is he back?  If it's just to find Mommy, that's dumb.

Some quibbles:

Stroh is waiting for Emma in the pool, and makes it look like an accidental drowning – but wouldn’t there be bruises from where he held her arms/wrists as she struggled?  Perhaps if we got to actually see Morales – WTF with his absence, seriously  – we’d find that out.

Neighbor kid Carl shows them the gate, and says he has a picture of the missing lock on his phone, and no one thinks this is odd?  I knew right then he was Stroh’s accomplice, because Stroh always has a young accomplice, and "Carl" didn’t make sense.  I don't expect them to make that same leap instantaneously, but just taking him at his word under the circumstances was weird.

Why is Mason so resistant to believing Rios’s death is a murder?  Or that all this is Stroh?  His budget obsession is bad enough.

And, seriously -- shut up, Gus.  Just go the fuck away.  I didn't like you when you first showed up, then for a while there I really liked you and thought you were the perfect first relationship for Rusty, and while I still think that last bit is true, I wound up disliking you last season and was happy you two had moved on, and now you just keep hanging around.  (I truly do not understand how those two getting back together now is supposed to be a good thing.)

I'm highly uncomfortable with all of Provenza’s talk about Stroh not going to trial, and stopping him "by any means."  This show has been about how Sharon changed the team, and let them be the best detectives they can be, all, to their initial surprise, within the rules.  If the whole thing ends with them acting like vigilantes instead of her team, I'm going to flip.

Also, there's a scene in part one (I think) where Amy tells Cami if Mason puts someone else in charge of Major Crimes, Provenza will retire, and who knows what a new person would want to do with the squad.  All true, but I don't like what it's hinting at.  I'm so incredibly nervous for all this is all going to end - Sharon is dead, and now what's going to become of the rest - and that's not how I wanted to spend this show's final episodes feeling.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

On 12/27/2017 at 4:46 PM, Calamity Jane said:

As for the funeral, it seemed to me quite small  for someone of her rank and length of service in the LAPD.  I would have thought many more people would have attended, and certainly the ones listed above.  Provenza's eulogy does make one overlook that more readily, but it still bothered me.  Clearly they wanted to have it in the little church she felt so deeply about, so I guess that made it worth sacrificing some verisimilitude.  Bugged me, though.  

Even if she wanted it in a small church, there would be 100's of uniforms outside the church. They lined the street for blocks here for a cop killed in the line, and he wasn't anywhere near Raydor's rank. While Sharon wasn't exactly killed in the line of duty, she did die on the job and was well respected by multiple departments along with the DA's office and the Feds.

On 12/27/2017 at 5:47 PM, Poohbear617 said:

Plus I can't believe NOBODY saw 2 grown men walking around in wet suits and airtanks?

3rd and final: over the summer on 60 Minutes they had a story with hackers who immediately hacked Leslie Stahls phone and turned on her camera and video and then was able to hack her contacts phones as well. He told how it is used to rob people who have no idea their phone is on

I remember at the end he told Stahl to always make sure the camera is covered, and he said a small piece of electrical tape would do. That story freaked me out , made me paranoid and I now have a small piece of tape on my phone. I guess I wrote this because of a couple comments about all the cameras the partner has going, I am doubtful he would have it so sophisticated,  but I did see it as possible, so just adding my 2 cents.

One 1 guy was in the pool with the suit and tank.

The phone thing is one of the reasons I haven't bothered to upgrade to a modern phone. I'm only one step past a flip-phone. Until I got a car that the phone could sync with, I never even had the data and bluetooth features enabled. I imagine it COULD be hacked though. I am trying to remember to keep the bluetooth  disabled except when I know I might be needing it in the car, if for no other reason than the battery drain. I still have data disabled because my screen is too small to see any data. The phone doesn't do video and only has 1 camera.. not cameras on both sides. Basically, I use it as a phone and nothing else.

On 12/28/2017 at 11:40 AM, shapeshifter said:

Is there a chance that Stroh "only" kidnapped and raped his first victim, and then Mommy The Fixer not only came up with the scheme to dispose of the body, but maybe Mommy Dearest actually killed her?

I don't mind the super hacker kid. He has just one skill set and serves as a natural, convenient exposition fairy. Plus, the actor is holding his own.

I was wondering that about Stroh's Mom too. (her doing the actual killing)

Hacker kid  actor is more than "holding his own". He's working so hard at holding his own that he's overacting like his life depends on it. He's chewed so much scenery, I'm surprised we can't see the crew through the swiss cheese holes. Given the stellar nuanced performances by the veteran actors, his hamming it up is WAY too OTT

On 12/28/2017 at 6:46 PM, Percysowner said:

I am wondering if Stroh is dying and is looking to "suicide by cop" It would be a real irony if he's punished more by NOT being killed than by having any one of the squad take him out.

I can't imagine Stroh giving the cops that satisfaction.

On 12/29/2017 at 0:50 PM, sarthaz said:

Rusty's "sister" can't bear to lose him?  Please

New Captain is continually being written as a money-obsessed moron.  He was a cool character when they brought him in, but his constant pushback against Provenza just makes him seem incompetent.  Someone hacks into the security cam footage to delete all evidence of a serial killer that an eye witness tells you was there, and this isn't cause for the department to act?  You've gotta be kidding me.

I agree about Rusty's sister. Her MOTHER just died and she's worried about this new brother that she shares few memories with that got injected into the family recently? Losing Rusty would be what would completely unhinge her? But since the writer is all about Rusty, peripheral characters (and even the major ones) exist only to further Rusty's narrative. Clearly he knows nothing about mother/daughter dynamics. 

I totally agree about the "we can't afford it" and "you haven't proved anything" response to protection. It's just one more thing that defies my suspension of disbelief.

Edited by slothgirl.

Share Post

On 12/29/2017 at 8:20 PM, catrice2 said:

I wouldn't hold my breath.  This entire season has been a boring let down...and that was before they killed Sharon.  This episode and the "back story" on Stroh just seems a little too late.  Wouldn't they have already dug up this information a long time ago?  Especially when he killed people in the court system? 

, it quickly became less about the Major Crimes team and how they solved murders and more about Rusty and his insecurities and family problems,  Sharon and Rusty, Sharon and Flynn, and well, Sharon's dry musings, ex-husband, kids, faith, etc., ... I limped along because I loved the rest of the squad as it became increasingly clear that they were not going to follow the formula that they said.  I don't need romance and family problems with my police procedureals or my super hero shows. 

The few times they veered away we got the Julio with the racist foster child, Sykes and her boring romance with the terrible MJW, Buzz and his quest for his father's killer, Provenza and his unrealistic romance, Flynn and  his health problems (because those were so interesting) and I don't even remember anything personal about Tao.  All of those plots were given a small amount of time compared to the Rusty show...the civilian who is allowed to have access to all kinds of information about ongoing cases and to come and go as he pleases..allowed by Sharon who was always against/critical of how Brenda didn't follow the rules.  

I wish I could like this post more than once.

On 12/30/2017 at 1:53 PM, seacliffsal said:

So, here's my idea just to ruin TNT's plans regarding their new shows-everyone who is in AARP just writes to TNT and tells them that they (the AARP members) are so excited about the new shows and are sure to write on the shows' comment pages how much AARP viewers LOVE these shows.  That should kill any buzz TNT hopes to get based on how edgy and hip their new shows are (yes, I am a member of AARP and I think it would really upset TNT if they thought older viewers would take the edge factor away from the new shows...).

We could go one step further! We could talk about how much the new shows remind us in many ways of Murder She Wrote!

On 12/30/2017 at 5:33 PM, Neurochick said:

I can’t take Billy Burke seriously anymore, since he starred in not one but two ridiculous shows, Revolution and Zoo, the latter being more ridiculous than the former ( and I won’t even talk about Twilight).

I love Billy Burke. I watched Zoo primarily for him (until I just couldn't anymore). His snark was perfect for a show that was so bad it was camp. It was like he was telling the audience that he was in on the joke and we weren't supposed to take anything on the show seriously because it was supposed to be uber-cheesy.

Share Post

2 hours ago, slothgirl said:

I love Billy Burke. I watched Zoo primarily for him (until I just couldn't anymore). His snark was perfect for a show that was so bad it was camp. It was like he was telling the audience that he was in on the joke and we weren't supposed to take anything on the show seriously because it was supposed to be uber-cheesy.

I would like to see Billy Burke playing a straight man in a comedy. Maybe he would like to hire me as his new agent?

Edited by shapeshifter. Reason: It's best to not use pronouns when you can use nouns

Share Post

I can’t get over how poorly this show handled Sharon’s funeral and the characters reactions to it, Provenza’s eulogy was terrific but other than that it was handled terribly. We didn’t really get to see any of the characters reactions to it or how they were dealing with it, and not having any of the recurring characters besides Kendall there was a pure slap in the face, especially not having Morales come, I can’t believe that, he would for sure be there, Dr Joe should’ve attended as well. 

One thing that I think was a missed opportunity after Sharon’s death was a conversation between Sanchez and Flynn, Julio lost his wife suddenly and dealt with that grief for years, and he could talk to Flynn about dealing with that, that would’ve been an interesting conversation and would’ve fit in the episode well, or at least have Sanchez say something like “I understand what you’re going through Flynn, if you ever need to talk about it”. It would’ve been a nice touch to have instead of a ton of Stroh bullshit.

Share Post

I see it as another way Duff wrote himself into a corner - with only four episodes, that take place over a short time frame, left to go after her death, you either stay true to the characters' grieving process and have the show end with most of them still rather stunned and depressed, or you dive back into the case and focus there so you're not ending on such a down note, but in doing that, you make it feel like the characters - and the show - moved on faster than the audience, and that feels dismissive and insulting to Sharon.

I liked what we got of the funeral and its aftermath - the eulogy was great, Ricky wanting to move into the Christmas village and curl up in a ball was perfectly heartbreaking, the video messages were well done - but we got so little.  It felt like the show was off and running with, "Whee!  After Stroh we go," and I was still sitting back at the start line with a box of tissues, sputtering, "But, wait - what about ...?"

Share Post

I agree Duff sort of wrote himself into a corner and they didn’t have enough time to explore the characters feelings as much as I would’ve liked, but I really wish we had gotten less of Stroh and his accomplice and more of the squad, especially their reactions to Sharon’s death. I would’ve liked to see the reactions of the likes of Tao, Sanchez, Sykes, Nolan, Mason etc, also what was on the video she left for Buzz, and I would’ve liked some dialogue between Sanchez and Flynn as they had both were widower’s now. 

And could we at least have had the likes of Morales, Fritz, Dr Joe and Cooper at Sharon’s funeral? Besides Major Crimes and Sharon’s family, the only people who showed up that we knew were Hobbs, Rios and Kendall. Such an insult to Sharon, just spitting on her grave basically. 

Share Post

1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

also what was on the video she left for Buzz

There was no video for Buzz; there were the two videos she left with Buzz, for him to give to her family if/when she died and those are the ones we saw - the one for the whole family, and then the one for Rusty about Stroh.

1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

I would’ve liked to see the reactions of the likes of Tao, Sanchez, Sykes, Nolan, Mason etc,

I don't care about Nolan or Mason's reactions beyond the quick glimpses we got, but the rest, yes - especially Amy, who really looked up to her.  And Sanchez's conflicting emotions over her dying before he could tell her about the transfer - he missed the chance to tell her what working for her (and finally getting his shit together because she made him go to, and stick with, anger management) meant, but he also didn't ever have to tell her he was leaving; she died believing the squad was intact.

And, yes, some sort of moment between Julio and Andy over both losing their wives unexpectedly, please!

The funeral needed Chief Pope, Fritz and Brenda (I know they couldn't get Kyra, but Fritz not being there bothers the ever-loving shit out of me), Judge Grove, Judge Richwood, Dr. Joe, Morales (like with Fritz, I really don't get that one unless Jonathan Del Arco was unavailable), Nicole, Cooper, Cathy Tao, Jack Raydor (although, interestingly, he's the one I can easiest explain not being there, if he just curled up in a bottle of shame and regret, unwilling to face anyone, rather than being there for his kids and to honor Sharon), Gavin Baker, Sharon Beck (not that I ever wanted to see Sharon Beck again after the first half of season five, but unless she has fallen off the wagon again, she'd be there both to support Rusty and as a show of respect to the other mother of her child [as acknowledged by the great "it affects our son" line when she tells Sharon she's pregnant), a few FID peeps (Sgt. Staples and another guy whose name I can't recall), plus other DAs, a couple of the defense attorneys, Firearms Francine, etc. - people who'd show up out of professional respect.

Some of that was impossible due to actor unavailability, but a lot of it feels like they didn't even try - they didn't even check, because they didn't want to shell out what it would cost for that many guest stars to just sit there for a day.  And, I understand that, but that's one of the things you have to consider when deciding whether to kill off your star's character!

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post