Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

Danielle Panabaker got married this weekend. Grant Gustin, Carlos Valdes, Tom Cavanagh and Jesse L. Martin, as well as Katie Cassidy, Victor Garber, and Rose McIver. 

Edited by lemotomato.

Share Post

Well thats one Arrowverse wedding down.

Lovely dress. I'm glad she didn't use Arrow's costume department. 

Share Post

(Yes, James Bond is fourth, but still.) 

No one is ever going to convince me that SuperSpy! is not a genre film .  That franchise was not built on realism of any kind, lol.  

Edited by BkWurm1.

Share Post

Edited by quarks. Reason: posted before finishing.

Share Post

1 hour ago, Trini said:

I didn't change any goalpost. Again, I always meant hour-long dramas. I don't think the show is comparable to a news show or sitcom; networks treat each slightly differently.

And I didn't set any number of years. I did choose to stick to shows that have lasted longer than Arrow (the oldest of the CW/DC shows) in my list; sorry if that confused you. But I did also make a point using the shows that had lasted at least 10 seasons.

Last word on this:

1. Your original post said "long running TV shows." I, not you, was the one who eliminated news, sports, late night, and religious programming. I also eliminated British programming (Doctor Who and Red Dwarf), Star Trek (which had two spinoffs lasting longer than Arrow, plus the assorted films and the other four spinoffs), cable (which eliminated Stargate SG-1, Power Rangers and other shows) and (initially) shows no longer on the air.

2. I wasn't confused. The original conversation was about whether or not Flash would last for ten years. You changed that to shows that have been on the air for seven seasons, because without adding NCIS: LA, Blue Bloods, and Hawaii Nine-0, you didn't have an argument. (Keep in mind that if we stick to hour long shows lasting ten years or more, yes, I forgot Criminal Minds - but we also both left out X-Files. With X-Files, it's even - three procedurals, three non procedurals. If we go back to scripted shows, the non-procedurals outnumber the procedurals.). Now you're switching the goalposts again, claiming that you meant "lasted longer than Arrow." Not what you said in your post, which just went with "longest running primetime network series."  

Arrow just finished its fifth season and is heading into its sixth season, which means that "shows lasting longer than Arrow" should include shows that finished season 6 and are heading into season 7.  That would include Scandal, X-Files and Once Upon a Time - none of which are procedurals, and one of which is continuing after dumping four main cast members.

I will add that if we're going with "shows that lasted longer than Arrow" the procedural argument flops entirely - non procedurals considerably outnumber the procedurals historically, and there's several examples of genre shows six seasons or more - off the top of my head, Lost, Charmed, The Vampire Diaries, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, just off the top of my head, plus of course Stargate: SG-1, Eureka and other cable/syndicated shows, including Star Trek the Next Generation and Deep Space Nine.

Debatable; I restricted it to that because I think that recent TV history is a more accurate predictor than show and network behavior from a generation ago, because of the changing TV landscape.

[/prohat]

But the changing TV landscape is precisely why Flash has a chance of going for ten years - it's thriving in this landscape.  Same, frankly, with Supernatural, which isn't getting renewed because of its impressive numbers, but because its fanbase continues to invest financially in the show, buying streaming services, Blu-ray/DVDs and ancillary merchandise. The same is true for Flash.  Sure, it dropped in the demo/live views this year, along with all of the other CW shows. But it's extremely popular on Netflix, continues to sell Blu-Ray/DVDs, does well internationally, and although the ancillary sales are lower than Arrow's (who would have thought? Seriously - who would have thought?).  Flash and Arrow bring in enough revenue that the CW didn't even need to bother to showcase the shows at the upfronts - the shows are profitable without considering ad buys.

And again, recent TV history is giving us not one, but two genre shows that have lasted more than ten years. 

I simply compared Flash to what are the current longest running, comparable shows. Thanks for the extra analysis.

Except that the only current, longest running comparable shows to Flash are Supernatural and (for different reasons) American Dad.  And not because of the procedural/non-procedural difference, but because Flash, like Supernatural, is working on an entirely different revenue model than NCIS, Law and Order, Criminal Minds and Grey's Anatomy. 

(And, to be fair, Meet the Press.)  

Anyway, let's move on to Danielle Panabaker's wedding dress. It's gorgeous!

Share Post

7 minutes ago, quarks said:

Anyway, let's move on to Danielle Panabaker's wedding dress. It's gorgeous!

I loved how they managed to make it look really light weight but also at the same time fluffy and flowy.   She looks so happy and pretty.  

Share Post

5 hours ago, quarks said:

1. Your original post said "long running TV shows." I, not you, was the one who eliminated news, sports, late night, and religious programming.

Don't let my editing mistake (which I corrected minutes later) trip you up; I always meant dramas. I didn't change my argument.

2. I wasn't confused. The original conversation was about whether or not Flash would last for ten years. You changed that to shows that have been on the air for seven seasons, ...

If you think me mentioning other shows that have also had long runs means I changed the conversation into something different, then ... okay. That was not my intention. I think those are relevant examples compare and discuss if we're guessing how long the show could last.

But the changing TV landscape is precisely why Flash has a chance of going for ten years - it's thriving in this landscape. ..

And again, recent TV history is giving us not one, but two genre shows that have lasted more than ten years. 

You keep trying to convince me when I don't think you're wrong? It could last 10 seasons. Or not.

----------

Here, have a joke!

tumblr_os5xwm2Xdn1rvya9ro1_1280.png

http://textsfromsuperheroes.com/post/162299781455/mannequin

Share Post