From Across The Pond: Royal Weddings and Scandals

10 hours ago, Popples said:

Isn't she going to be super pregnant and probably past her fly date by then? Even if she wanted to come, but medically couldn't, they'll still use that to frame her as a stuck-up bitch.

Meghan was never coming even if she was voted the most physically fit person on Planet Earth.  Jr knows this and so does the Daily Mail.  This invitation is nothing more than a ploy between The Fail for more clicks and Jr so they can pick up the tab.  

Edited by MissAlmond.

Share Post

3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Wow.    How about you try shutting up FIRST.   Then maybe they will speak to you.   Maybe.   If they can trust you.    But threatening to keep talking UNLESS they talk to you is a really manipulative thing to do.   

Meghan needs to stay far away from these people.   Even if she weren't pregnant she shouldn't go to that wedding.   They would have the tabs staking it out and make sure to cast anything Meghan did in the most unflattering light.   Why put up with people who don't care about you and really only want to use you?

Some positive royal news:   Happy Birthday Duchess Kate.

Exactly.  He blew their trust in the first place and doesn't understand why they won't speak to him.  He has done nothing to show that he's learned the error of his ways. 

Share Post

14 hours ago, Popples said:

Isn't she going to be super pregnant and probably past her fly date by then? Even if she wanted to come, but medically couldn't, they'll still use that to frame her as a stuck-up bitch. And "putting the past behind everybody" is just rug sweeping; it doesn't solve anything. They are all just shameless opportunists.

Even if she weren't going to be very pregnant, I doubt the Sussex will be attending any wedding where the betrothed advertise their invitation and undoubtedly let the press know where and when it will be held.  I expect brother dear will soon be joining his sister and father on the persona non grata list.  If reconciling the family was his intention, he wouldn't be telling the press all about it.

Share Post

2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I expect brother dear will soon be joining his sister and father on the persona non grata list.  If reconciling the family was his intention, he wouldn't be telling the press all about it.

Thomas Markle Jr already knows he's persona non grata.  I mentioned and summed this up awhile back:

Remember when Jr retained a lawyer to plead with Meghan to get in touch with him?  How Jr couldn't find work and needed Meghan's and the palace's help to takedown negative media stories about him?  Those lawyers were basically told by Harry's people, too bad so sad for Jr's troubles, take it up with the media companies.  The lawyers then got back to Jr., told him how expensive that would be, so if "his sister" wasn't willing to help pay the legal fees, ta ta for now.  

Jr sold the correspondence from his lawyers to In Touch magazine.  If he's lost or forgotten Meghan's "I don't know him" and Harry's "Too bad so sad" responses in a drunk/drug related blackout, he can contact In Touch for back copies.  

Share Post

3 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

From ET Online: The Duchess of Sussex Announces Royal Patronages with Focuses on Arts, Education, Women and Animals

Queen Elizabeth handed 2 of the patronages, from among her patronages, down to Meghan.

And in this article, ugh - the shade from Ingrid Steward. How dare the Queen give the National Theatre to Meghan and not Edward!

Maybe because Meghan was an actual actress, and thus would know more about the theatre and plays than a tv producer? Or maybe she still hasn't forgiven him for "It's a Royal Knockout?" *eye roll*

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/01/10/meghan-markle-is-taking-over-two-queen-elizabeths-gigs/?utm_term=.f6fff1463136

Share Post

1 hour ago, ombelico said:

And in this article, ugh - the shade from Ingrid Steward. How dare the Queen give the National Theatre to Meghan and not Edward!

Maybe because Meghan was an actual actress, and thus would know more about the theatre and plays than a tv producer? Or maybe she still hasn't forgiven him for "It's a Royal Knockout?" *eye roll*

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/01/10/meghan-markle-is-taking-over-two-queen-elizabeths-gigs/?utm_term=.f6fff1463136

Plus, you know, Edward's already pretty busy. He did over 400 engagements last year and has taken over quite a number of the engagements that Prince Philip used to do.  But, sure, lets go another round of "she's tearing the family apart!"  It's not like that's getting old or anything.

Share Post

2 hours ago, ombelico said:

Maybe because Meghan was an actual actress, and thus would know more about the theatre and plays than a tv producer?

She was a TV actress and game show model. Not sure how that gives her more knowledge about theatre and plays than someone who has been involved in all aspects of production.

Share Post

And let's be real - among all the many patronages taken on by the various Royals, exactly how many are in areas any of them have any direct, first-hand experience at all? It might be beneficial for them to have some interest in the areas they will be expected to work, but actual experience in those fields really isn't necessary - or even possible, in most cases. So it really is a moot point. Edward already has his hands full and may not even want any more added to his plate. Meghan is just starting out as a working royal and as such was given a patronage in a field in which she has both interest and experience. There really is no story there!

Share Post

10 hours ago, Dani said:

Meghan has a theater degree from Northwestern and her father worked in television production. I would assume that her knowledge is pretty extensive. 

Meghan actually has a double degree in Theatre & International Studies from Northwestern (I think the second subject, though she didn’t know then that her life would take the path that it has, is ironic since she ended up marrying into British Royalty—& it could perhaps help some when she has to deal with foreign dignitaries, although her dealings are mostly superficial & not substantive). Her father is/was an Emmy Award (award for excellence in US television, in front of & behind the camera) winning lighting designer who worked on our “soap opera” (aka “daytime drama”) General Hospital, which I’m not sure airs outside the US though Canadian border cities which get US TV networks on their cable/satellite TV provider might get to see it.

Edited by BW Manilowe. Reason: To fix spacing and to correct the name of a subject in which Meghan received her double college degree.

Share Post

1 hour ago, Llywela said:

And let's be real - among all the many patronages taken on by the various Royals, exactly how many are in areas any of them have any direct, first-hand experience at all? It might be beneficial for them to have some interest in the areas they will be expected to work, but actual experience in those fields really isn't necessary - or even possible, in most cases. So it really is a moot point. Edward already has his hands full and may not even want any more added to his plate. Meghan is just starting out as a working royal and as such was given a patronage in a field in which she has both interest and experience. There really is no story there!

I’d say Meghan has at least an interest, if not some level of experience, in all 4 subjects—theatre, women, children & animals—in which she now has a patronage. After all, besides her theatrical/acting knowledge/experience, she is a woman & self-identifies as a feminist; she’s also interested in education, as she (to me, anyway) proved when she spoke at the university in Fiji, I think it was, on the trip to Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific; & she has a dog/had dogs, while that may be a superficial justification, & seems interested in other animals as well.

Share Post

2 hours ago, Llywela said:

Edward already has his hands full and may not even want any more added to his plate.

Ding, ding ding.    This is probably more likely the answer.    Edward being busy and a nice guy probably said "Meghan it's yours if you want it."

I love the mix of her patronages.    

Share Post

16 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Edward being busy and a nice guy probably said "Meghan it's yours if you want it."

Or the Queen gave it to her because she thought it was a good fit and Meghan has shown herself to be a more than capable, intelligent and hard worker. In other words, she gained it off her own merits. 

Share Post

11 hours ago, ombelico said:

Edward has no desire to be dragged in your still flowing sea of bitterness over Cressida, Ingrid.  

56 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Or the Queen gave it to her because she thought it was a good fit and Meghan has shown herself to be a more than capable, intelligent and hard worker. In other words, she gained it off her own merits. 

Exactly.   It was clear the head of the National Theater wanted her.  Northwestern University's theater department reputation is top notch.  

Share Post

5 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Her father is/was an Emmy Award (award for excellence in US television, in front of & behind the camera) winning lighting designer who worked on our “soap opera” (aka “daytime drama”) General Hospital, which I’m not sure airs outside the US though Canadian border cities which get US TV networks on their cable/satellite TV provider might get to see it.

Canada gets General Hospital. We get all your TV and not because we pick it up over the airwaves. I struggle to think of a single show that is available in the US that isn't also available in Canada. Either we just get the channel (the four major networks, a whole bunch of cable news etc) or our specialty cable channels buy distribution rights (Handmaid's Tale airs on our version of Bravo, Space, our SyFy, airs Star Trek: Discovery.) Canadians get all your shows. It's how we know so much about you. 

3 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

This. Part of becoming a working Royal is getting patronages. They've got to give Meghan something and this is something that aligns with her interests and makes sense as a fit for her. This is such a non-story.

Share Post

IMO, the only reason Her Majesty has given the Duchess of Sussex these patronages that she's well-qualified for is 'newsworthy' is that this proves that the Queen thinks the Duchess of Sussex is a worthy addition to the family rather than someone causing strife (as those rags eagerly try to claim)  AND the rags hate to be shown up. Hence the claims of the Earl of Wessex feeling slighted being cast about. Hopefully, the majority of the rags' readers will see through this latest attempt.

Share Post

25 minutes ago, Blergh said:

AND the rags hate to be shown up.

Essentially. The signs of this were there months ago when the Royal Court Circular recorded Meghan meeting with the Director of the National Theatre. Plenty of discussion abounded of course, where the so-called "experts" declared that the Queen would never hand over something that big to her for one of her first patronages, especially considering how long the Queen held it. Yeah not only were they obviously wrong about that, the Queen also gave her The Association of Commonwealth Universities, another major patronage that she'd also held for 30+ years. 

Oh and while they apparently were claiming to know every thought, conversation, opinion, etc. Meghan has supposedly had regarding her in-laws, they somehow managed to miss the fact that she'd been visiting one of her patronages for the better part of a year, as per the organization's Director. 

Edited by truthaboutluv.

Share Post

Cirque du Soleil has announced that Harry and Meghan will be attending the January 16 performance of "Totem" at the Royal Albert Hall to raise funds for his charity Sentebale.

They'll love it. I know I did.

Share Post

18 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Her father is/was an Emmy Award (award for excellence in US television, in front of & behind the camera) winning lighting designer who worked on our “soap opera” (aka “daytime drama”) General Hospital

While he did get a Daytime Emmy for lighting on General Hospital, he had the more important position of director of photography for almost the whole run of Married With Children.

13 hours ago, vibeology said:

Space, our SyFy, airs Star Trek: Discovery. Canadians get all your shows.

In the case of Discovery,  I think that more Canadians see it than Americans, who have to subscribe to CBS All Access to see it.

Share Post

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:29 PM, BW Manilowe said:

From ET Online: The Duchess of Sussex Announces Royal Patronages with Focuses on Arts, Education, Women and Animals

Queen Elizabeth handed 2 of the patronages, from among her patronages, down to Meghan.

When I read this post, I thought, and now que the media and hatred mongers with their claims of how the Queen is only doing this for Harry.  And it didn't take them long.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:42 PM, ombelico said:

I see your eye roll and raise you a face palm.

Share Post

With the birth of Prince Louis of Cambridge, the Duke of Sussex is 6th in line so there's really no pressing need for the Queen to give the Duchess of Sussex ANY patronages- besides probably a personal liking for her grandson and his wife and her confidence in their capabilities!  The rags seem to  refuse to consider that scenario, though. 

Share Post

On 1/12/2019 at 10:17 AM, Blergh said:

With the birth of Prince Louis of Cambridge, the Duke of Sussex is 6th in line so there's really no pressing need for the Queen to give the Duchess of Sussex ANY patronages- besides probably a personal liking for her grandson and his wife and her confidence in their capabilities!  The rags seem to  refuse to consider that scenario, though. 

Also, when it comes to Edward's patronages specifically, he has lately been taking on more of Prince Philip's patronages and programs with Philip's retirement, since it's understood that he will eventually inherit the Duke of Edinburgh title. Since the Queen was patron of the National Theatre, not Philip, it also makes sense that she would transfer the patronage to Meghan rather than Edward at this point.

Edited by ombelico.

Share Post

2 hours ago, Blergh said:

While technically true, the 3rd, 4th, and 5th in line are 5 years of age and under; therefore the 92 year old Queen was always going to hand patronages over to Meghan.  There was no need for Edward's sloppy seconds, The Queen passed down patronages that suited Meghan and did a damn good job of it too.  

Share Post

4 hours ago, GaT said:

Let me guess, was it because Meghan didn't invite him to the wedding & won't take his calls?

Lol, but the article is talking about Kate's brother, not Meghan's.

Share Post

9 minutes ago, slf said:

Pretty sure @GaT was just being sarcastic.

Yep.

Share Post

I think the confusion here is because correct me I'm wrong, but GaT, I think you quoted the wrong article link. I assume you meant to quote the one about Meghan's half-brother's DUI? But instead you quoted the one about Kate's brother's interview. I still got your sarcasm though. 

Share Post

1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

I think the confusion here is because correct me I'm wrong, but GaT, I think you quoted the wrong article link. I assume you meant to quote the one about Meghan's half-brother's DUI? But instead you quoted the one about Kate's brother's interview. I still got your sarcasm though. 

No, I meant to quote the one about Kate's brother. Since the tabloids seem to be blaming her for everything, I can see them trying to make his depression Meghan's fault.

Share Post

7 minutes ago, GaT said:

No, I meant to quote the one about Kate's brother. Since the tabloids seem to be blaming her for everything, I can see them trying to make his depression Meghan's fault.

Ah, okay. 

Share Post

OK, this is really stretching the point of this thread, but I couldn't resist. A little girl's reaction to finding out she's not going to Meghan & Harry's wedding.

Share Post

The Swedish Royal Family again! 

Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel, Princess Estelle, and Prince Oscar from their Instagram page:

Share Post

Worst royals ever! At least Meghan has the decency to speak English. Of a sort. What's that you say? They're Swedish? Stop making excuses for their poor behaviour.

Share Post

12 hours ago, slf said:

Pretty sure @GaT was just being sarcastic.

Yeah, sometimes that just doesn't work though.

Share Post

Skiing without poles.   Man I would be falling all over.   Very impressed.

Guess they would be happier if the Crown Jewels were found (someone had to mention them)

Share Post

I don't ski so I don't know if I should be impressed by Estelle repeatedly squatting while doing it, but I am. 

Share Post

5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Guess they would be happier if the Crown Jewels were found (someone had to mention them)

Share Post

13 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Yeah, sometimes that just doesn't work though.

Okay.

Share Post

I just finished The Heir Apparent: A life of Edward VII the Playboy Prince

https://www.amazon.com/Heir-Apparent-Edward-Playboy-Prince/dp/0812972635

It was a long read, but I enjoyed it. Made me giggle to think the trope of young people needing productive employment to stay out of trouble was true 100years ago. I was not aware of Bertie’s ties to the Jewish community and how inclusive he was- a nice surprise. I would recommend it. A fair bit about Alice Keppel makes it in (great grandmother to the Duchess of Cornwall). 

Share Post

43 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I just finished The Heir Apparent: A life of Edward VII the Playboy Prince

https://www.amazon.com/Heir-Apparent-Edward-Playboy-Prince/dp/0812972635

It was a long read, but I enjoyed it. Made me giggle to think the trope of young people needing productive employment to stay out of trouble was true 100years ago. I was not aware of Bertie’s ties to the Jewish community and how inclusive he was- a nice surprise. I would recommend it. A fair bit about Alice Keppel makes it in (great grandmother to the Duchess of Cornwall). 

If only his mother hadn't been so intent in keeping him from doing anything. It amazes me she never connected keep her son away from nearly everything meant he had nothing to do so what else is going to do except play. 

Share Post

58 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

Depression is not something to be mocked.

Not that I think the Royals are immune to it by any means but which of them has said they have depression and/or has mocked that condition?

Share Post