S06.E08: Conspiracy Theory Parts Three and Four 2017.12.19

I hoped the series would end with Rusty, Sharon, Provenza, Flynn, Julio, and Sykes all simultaneously firing on Stroh, finally killing that storyline, and then having the older characters decide to retire and the screen fading to black as they all walk into their local Social Security office to file for their benefits.   

I also call bullshit on Gus not knowing what Stroh looked like.  Wouldn't his picture have been all over the news - local and national - due to his crimes and escape?  Also, when someone is a fugitive, they will mock up pictures of them with a beard, or a mustache, or hair a different length or color, with glasses, and so on.  I'm sure Rusty would have a set of those, and Gus would have seen them during his time with Rusty.  Of course, Gus never struck me as the brightest bulb, so perhaps we shouldn't be surprised he didn't recognize Stroh.  

Share Post

4 hours ago, Calvada said:

I also call bullshit on Gus not knowing what Stroh looked like.  Wouldn't his picture have been all over the news - local and national - due to his crimes and escape?  Also, when someone is a fugitive, they will mock up pictures of them with a beard, or a mustache, or hair a different length or color, with glasses, and so on.  I'm sure Rusty would have a set of those, and Gus would have seen them during his time with Rusty.  Of course, Gus never struck me as the brightest bulb, so perhaps we shouldn't be surprised he didn't recognize Stroh.  

I just checked with imdb, and Gus's first appearance (Snitch) was the fifth episode of season 4, while Stroh's escape was episodes 18 & 19 of season 3.  So when Stroh escaped Gus was probably winding up his military service and trying to find his family - he would have been as ignorant of Stroh as all of us wish to be.

Edited by kassygreene.

Share Post

On December 22, 2017 at 7:43 PM, Xeliou66 said:

I agree with what Bastet said about how you can’t watch reruns the same way knowing what happens to Sharon in the end

—which is what separates a good show like Major Crimes from a landmark show like Breaking Bad, in which every piece of every subplot fit together perfectly, and every subplot fit together perfectly into the entire series run. The Closer had perfect bookends from the first episode and the finale, "It looks like love." After the events of these last two episodes, I will be shocked if this series even ends with The Closer amounts of literary continuity.

Share Post

Forgot to add above:  apparently Billy Bukre was in only three episodes of The Closer, and a two-parter in Major Crimes.  Why does it feel like he nearly ate both series?

Edited by kassygreene.

Share Post

1 hour ago, kassygreene said:

Forgot to add above:  apparently Billy Bukre was in only three episodes of The Closer, and a two-parter in Major Crimes.  Why does it feel like he nearly ate both series?

He became Chief Johnson's arch nemesis in The Closer and then the threat to Rusty's life.

Share Post

2 hours ago, kassygreene said:

I just checked with imdb, and Gus's first appearance (Snitch) was the fifth episode of season 4, while Stroh's escape was episodes 18 & 19 of season 3.  So when Stroh escaped Gus was probably winding up his military service and trying to find his family - he would have been as ignorant of Stroh as all of us wish to be.

Yeah, Gus wouldn't have known anything of Stroh just as a random person, but once he was the guy involved with Rusty, and he learned Rusty was the key witness in an open case against an escaped serial rapist/murderer (which would come up simply by virtue of wondering, so, hey, how'd that captain on my sister's case wind up being your mom?), I think he'd do some Googling.  And certainly once Gus came upon Rusty's mini-murder board and learned Stroh was on the hunt, he'd do it then even if, unbelievably, never before in the course of their relationship. 

I just cannot buy that Gus doesn't know what Stroh looks like, and since he should, and Stroh doesn't look much different now, it's a major suspension of disbelief that Stroh is in Gus's workplace, Gus doesn't recognize him, and Gus strikes up enough of a conversation with a random customer to give away all sorts of information.

(And if any one is interested in the trajectory of my insane level of reaction to Sharon's death, we are at four nights later now, and I just heard that "I'm gonna love you like I'm gonna lose you" song that I've heard many times and never thought anything about other than it's a cool song, and I instantly thought of Sharon and Andy.  I didn't cry, though, so - progress?  I'm getting ready to see if I can watch the Saturday syndicated episodes.)

Share Post

7 hours ago, kassygreene said:

I think Gus will save the day by killing Stroh - after all, he is an Army vet, and therefore has had weapons training.

Weapons training is one thing, however Stroh is a lawyer as well as a serial killer. Meaning he looks up little details. Rusty's gun might surprise him, I don't see why when he would be living with Lieutenant Flynn still but Gus' skill set should not be a surprise since he is already stalking Rusty's associates.

Share Post

29 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, Gus wouldn't have known anything of Stroh just as a random person, but once he was the guy involved with Rusty, and he learned Rusty was the key witness in an open case against an escaped serial rapist/murderer (which would come up simply by virtue of wondering, so, hey, how'd that captain on my sister's case wind up being your mom?), I think he'd do some Googling.  And certainly once Gus came upon Rusty's mini-murder board and learned Stroh was on the hunt, he'd do it then even if, unbelievably, never before in the course of their relationship. 

I just cannot buy that Gus doesn't know what Stroh looks like, and since he should, and Stroh doesn't look much different now, it's a major suspension of disbelief that Stroh is in Gus's workplace, Gus doesn't recognize him, and Gus strikes up enough of a conversation with a random customer to give away all sorts of information.

(And if any one is interested in the trajectory of my insane level of reaction to Sharon's death, we are at four nights later now, and I just heard that "I'm gonna love you like I'm gonna lose you" song that I've heard many times and never thought anything about other than it's a cool song, and I instantly thought of Sharon and Andy.  I didn't cry, though, so - progress?  I'm getting ready to see if I can watch the Saturday syndicated episodes.)

Where do syndicated episodes come on at on Saturday’s? I’ve never seen any MC episodes rerun anywhere except occasionally on TNT, I’ve wondered if they will get rerun anywhere, I hope so, I would like to be able to see them after the show ends. 

Share Post

3 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Where do syndicated episodes come on at on Saturday’s? I’ve never seen any MC episodes rerun anywhere except occasionally on TNT, I’ve wondered if they will get rerun anywhere, I hope so, I would like to be able to see them after the show ends. 

It started fall of last year (so they're currently concluding the second go-round of seasons one through four, and getting ready to air season five), so if no local network in your market has been airing them, you may be left out. 

Share Post

14 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

My 9 plays Major Crimes on Saturday nights either 6 or 7 PM

Share Post

I can see Gus having a conversation with Stroh since I assume it was Stroh who started talking first and he's a master of manipulation. But yes, Gus not knowing what he looks like is absurd. I want it to be someone on the squad who kills him. Preferably Andy or Provenza, but hell, I'll take Paige killing him so long as it's not Rusty. I'd be thrilled  (well as much possible given the circumstances) if a shot rang out from nowhere and they turned around and it's Brenda. Dreaming, I know. 

In my area, reruns come on at 4:00 pm Sat & Sun depending  on game schedules, on one of the local channels, in between Rizzoli & Isles and CSI Miami. 

Edited by AuntieL. Reason: Add info

Share Post

On 12/23/2017 at 4:24 PM, Calvada said:

I hoped the series would end with Rusty, Sharon, Provenza, Flynn, Julio, and Sykes all simultaneously firing on Stroh, finally killing that storyline, and then having the older characters decide to retire and the screen fading to black as they all walk into their local Social Security office to file for their benefits.   

I hoped that they WOULDN"T go the route of everyone firing on Stroh at once. NCIS did that with Trent Kort after he was responsible for Ziva;s death. It's cliche' to me. 

I would prefer Stroh to get killed by some totally insane fluke after all his planning and manipulating. I'd rather have a piano drop on his head than a massive gun-down from the whole squad. (I also hate the fact that, at least in the NCIS version and some others, everyone has surrounded the person they are all firing at and yet not ONE stray bullet hits someone on the other side of the circle.)

On 12/23/2017 at 8:26 PM, kassygreene said:

Since I like Billy Burke, maybe I would have enjoyed the Stroh storyline if he actually HAD been in more episodes.

On 12/23/2017 at 9:58 PM, Bastet said:

Thank you. Exactly! If I were dating someone who had such a significant event in their history that would be easily researched, you better bet I would be googling for every bit of coverage I could find. Even if Gus didn't do it initially, once Risty told him that Stroh was back and killing various people and posed a threat, not only to Rusty, but possibly to other people in Rusty's world, I would be DAMN sure to know what the guy looked like!

Share Post

5 hours ago, slothgirl said:

I hoped that they WOULDN"T go the route of everyone firing on Stroh at once. NCIS did that with Trent Kort after he was responsible for Ziva;s death. It's cliche' to me. 

Ziva's death was about as pointless as Sharon's, so who knows. Maybe they'll use another plotpoint, too ;-)

Share Post

6 hours ago, slothgirl said:

I would prefer Stroh to get killed by some totally insane fluke after all his planning and manipulating. I'd rather have a piano drop on his head than a massive gun-down from the whole squad.

I second the piano drop scenario. And I like to think Billy Burke would appreciate the irony of it with Stroh being an R rated version of Wylie Coyote.

6 hours ago, slothgirl said:

once Risty told him that Stroh was back and killing various people and posed a threat, not only to Rusty, but possibly to other people in Rusty's world, I would be DAMN sure to know what the guy looked like!

But doncha know: Stroh with a skimpy beard is unrecognizable. Just like Superman wearing Clark Kent's glasses.

Share Post

I re-watched part three, and half watched part four/half listened to James Duff’s Facebook chat.

In part three, my primary thought was how much I love Sharon (newsflash, I know): "Okay, can I have the surgery next Friday?  I'm in the middle of a case."  And the doctor pulling the curtain to find her on the phone talking to Provenza, and she keeps motioning for the doctor to wait until she's done.  Hee.  Plus her look and little head shake at the fact her phone is basically hooked up to her heart was a cute little moment.  Can you imagine someone explaining it to Provenza?

The scene between Provenza and Sharon in that episode was wonderful.  His primary worry being that she's unnecessarily risking her health by staying on the job, and getting choked up about it, with fitness for duty being secondary?  And then her taking his hands, as she tells him people with this condition continue to work for years, and that's what she intends to do?  I continue to marvel at, and adore, how their relationship evolved.  All relationship changes on this show have been very well paced, so I'm not surprised, but it always touches me.  That was beautiful.

In episode four, Sharon worrying about everyone else's anxiety is just so her.  She's spent her kids' entire lives cushioning the blow, to the extent possible, of the crap life threw at them, and now she can't do anything to spare them this worry that's coming from her life; they're talking to the priest about how worried they are when they hardly ever go to church normally, they're dropping everything and flying out, extending their stays, etc.  Andy keeps having to rush to the hospital with her.  She doesn't want this for them, and that she cannot make a deal with her disease is really frustrating her.  That's Sharon, as is focusing on other people's emotions rather than her own, so it's nice to see her have to finally let some of her own fear out as all the “this is serious, but your prognosis is still good” diagnoses turned to something more dire.  It was all so lovely. 

(And, yeah, still not getting the recklessly choosing to die criticism from some quarters of the internet.  She was supposed to be fixed up by the new meds enough to give her time to consider her options, and she was indeed mulling those over -- she could be moved up to receive a transplant as soon as a compatible one became available, which would involve a lot more tests, and she could wind up living in the hospital if she got really sick before one became available.  She also considered the fact other people on the list are in worse shape and have no other options than transplant.  She had another option, the implant, but getting that done would take her off the transplant list for however long the implant worked, which would not be forever, so she'd still need a transplant later.  She was following her doctors orders, hoping for the best and planning for the worst -- she was intending to reluctantly go on leave, not drop dead!)

The scene in church, telling her priest about the pros and cons to each option, and then asking for last rites, was so powerful.  I've gotten pretty sick of the Catholic Church this season (I'm an atheist; I get sick of all churches), but that was wonderful.

Sharon hanging back and watching her team work was a beautiful little moment, knowing they could carry on without her and how bittersweet that was for her.  It moved me as a prelude to her leave of absence.  As the lead-in to her death?  Just bury me with her.  (And for all the great things Mary did in this episode, I'm equally impressed with what she didn't do, meaning not letting her own "oh god, this is the last time I'll ever do this" emotions come out, just sticking to Sharon's level of melancholy.  How she delivered "I'm almost done" without crying is beyond me.  And then the final scene with Rusty in her office?  "I spent some of the best years of my life in this office, and these people out here are close to being family, and I'm just not ready to leave yet."  Ouch; holy double meaning, Batman.  Great, great job being Sharon in those scenes, and just as good in not being Mary.)

When Mike - with his medical knowledge - leans in close, after she tells them she has to go out on leave, and asks, "Should we be worried?" that was a beautiful little moment.   

Rusty saying, "I came in here looking for my mom - and there you were," was what made me cry the first time around, and it got me again.  The Sharon/Rusty relationship arc has been one of my favorite things about this show.

This time around, I started crying again as soon as the doctor stepped through those doors.

I still can't get over how utterly perfect everyone, especially Tony Denison, Kathe Mazur, and G.W. Bailey, was in conveying their characters' shock and devastation in response to the death notification (they're so used to being on the other side), in the exact way their individual character would react. 

Oh, there was a case?  Okay:  It was Dr. Landon, not Seth, committing the rapes.  Oops.  I was still sure Vickie was the killer, so at least I got that right. 

Sharon sending out a press release without telling Mason in order to get more victims to come forward and then schooled him - with everyone looking on - when he called her on it?  Wonderful, and classic; she's done that with Taylor.  And then:  "And I have a long history of doing my job while dealing with the ugly side of the male ego, and I am no longer interested, so I advise you to take that into consideration, Chief."  I cheered.  Great, great Darth Raydor moments.

Also her making sure they go after Curtis criminally, not just leaving him to the civil system for his role in these women's rapes.  And her usual extra level of disgust that's there when dealing with gender-based crimes.  There was continued good stuff raised about why victims don't come forward, about how what the women at Tackles were subjected to is a big deal, and not okay, etc.  It's the perfect case for Sharon to push to get one last confession on when the woman stashed away in her office winds up being not just the wife who looked the other way and accused rape victims of being liars, but the killer.  I'm with Mary McDonnell - once James Duff decided Sharon was going to die, and all that's left is how, this was a better way for it to happen than any other scenario that has been suggested.  Sharon was Sharon to her last moment.  I'm just going to miss the hell out of her.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

Sucks that the show killed off Sharon. But at least she went out taking that mewling bitch to task over the murders. That was probably how she wanted to go.

Edited by Spartan Girl.

Share Post

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

The scene between Provenza and Sharon in that episode was wonderful.  His primary worry being that she's unnecessarily risking her health by staying on the job, and getting choked up about it, with fitness for duty being secondary?  And then her taking his hands, as she tells him people with this condition continue to work for years, and that's what she intends to do?  I continue to marvel at, and adore, how their relationship evolved.  All relationship changes on this show have been very well paced, so I'm not surprised, but it always touches me.  That was beautiful.

I watched all of part 3 for the first time today - I had come in about 3/4 of the way through it the first time, so I had not seen that scene until today.  That scene was so touching, and I think it got lost in all the shock and reaction about her death last week when it first aired.  The relationships, and the way they grow and change gradually and so believably over the years, are something that greatly impresses me about this show.

Edited by kilda.

Share Post

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm with Mary McDonnell - once James Duff decided Sharon was going to die, and all that's left is how, this was a better way for it to happen than any other scenario that has been suggested.  Sharon was Sharon to her last moment.  I'm just going to miss the hell out of her.

I agree.  That death was the Sharon Raydor version of going out a hero.  Sharon remained awesome to the last.  and at the risk of going OT, as I watch my 83 year old mom dwindle and become less and less herself - there's something to be said for going out while you're still yourself to your last moment.

Share Post

16 hours ago, Bastet said:

Rusty saying, "I came in here looking for my mom - and there you were," was what made me cry the first time around, and it got me again.  The Sharon/Rusty relationship arc has been one of my favorite things about this show.

Second.

Share Post

18 hours ago, kilda said:

I watched all of part 3 for the first time today - I had come in about 3/4 of the way through it the first time, so I had not seen that scene until today.  That scene was so touching, and I think it got lost in all the shock and reaction about her death last week when it first aired.

Yeah, I really hate the doubling up of episodes TNT did.  Part three of Conspiracy Theory needed to stand on its own; there was so much in there to appreciate, and, yes, it ended on a cliffhanger, but Sharon's collapse wouldn't have overshadowed all that came before - she has the pacemaker, the EMTs are right there, her specialist is meeting her at the hospital, etc., so you figure she'll be fine.  We'd be talking about it, but we'd be talking about many other scenes as well.  For the episode to be immediately followed by part four, with an ending that inevitably wipes out nearly every memory the viewer had of the two hours that came before that moment, really shortchanged what was a very good 100th episode.

Same thing the first two parts of the final arc airing back-to-back; I would have liked to watch part one on its own, as a grieving process, and then get into the nuts and bolts of the case after having had a week to be in the mental space of part one.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

On 12/25/2017 at 11:36 PM, shapeshifter said:
On 12/25/2017 at 5:21 PM, slothgirl said:

I would prefer Stroh to get killed by some totally insane fluke after all his planning and manipulating. I'd rather have a piano drop on his head than a massive gun-down from the whole squad.

I second the piano drop scenario. And I like to think Billy Burke would appreciate the irony of it with Stroh being an R rated version of Wylie Coyote.

Perhaps a helicopter, ER style?

Share Post

3 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Perhaps a helicopter, ER style?

Nah I like our SOB pilot voices. 

Share Post

Ok, I’ve just re-watched 3&4, with the benefit of a week’s respite. I think I watched the final hospital scene last week 4-5 times but still so much was missed due to the sobbing. (Which is why I’ve only watched one of last night’s, but I digress.) my thoughts on those final 15 mins upon re-watch:

• I’m angry at Gus all over again for not having ever at least googled Philip Stroh. GAH. 
  • I hated the mother more on rewatch. Especially since she was still screaming at Sharon as she was being wrestled out of the room by Wes while Sharon was being lowered to the floor for CPR. 
  • I know we’ve discussed Rusty being ‘taken’ Or ‘forced’  from the room, but I do think it was typical Provenza anticipating that Sharon might die right there on the floor regardless of Julio’s attempts, and he just didn’t want Rusty to see it. 
  • as everyone has already said, all of the actors were remarkable at the hospital. Every last one of them. 
  • I think it’s significant, but don’t know why, that Andrea is facing away from everyone while everyone else is in a circle looking at Andy/Rusty (and the Dr)
  • As Rusty struggles to get Andy to a chair and the doctor straightens up from talking to him, Amy & Tao stand up to hear the bad news, while Provenza collapses into a chair in defeat. The reason it struck me - and I apologize if this seems so weird and stupid, is that IMO they stood up as a sign of respect, because that’s what you do for a doctor coming to give you news. Good or bad. And even tho they clearly had to have intuited that it was going to be bad, it was still ingrained in them to stand. I guess it reminded me of my many years of Catholic school, followed by many many many more of lapsed Catholicism, but when that priest came into my mom’s room to perform last rights, I popped up like a jack in the box. Weird thing to focus on I know but I thought it was consistent for both of their characters. I like that they leaned on each other. Same for Provenza. He had been standing in anticipation, but once he realized she was gone, his feet went right out from under him. 

My two cents. 

Share Post

9 minutes ago, betsyboo said:

I think it’s significant, but don’t know why, that Andrea is facing away from everyone while everyone else is in a circle looking at Andy/Rusty (and the Dr)

That's why Kathe Mazur's performance is among my favorites in that stellar scene; Hobbs literally doesn't want to face it, and she'll be damned if she's going to cry in front of everyone.  (Which makes her comportment in the next episode all the more touching.)

Add in G.W. Bailey sagging against the wall, and then chair, in disbelief, and Tony Denison all but collapsing, and those are my favorites.  I like it all - Rusty's trembling lips but instinctive support of Andy, Amy letting the tears flow freely, Mike letting them leak out, Julio (losing yet another person in short order) staying somewhat stoic but having the devastation written all over his face, etc. - but those three actors particularly got me with their portrayal of their characters' reactions.

Something that just kills me on re-watch is Sharon at the beginning of part four, when she's ready to leave the hospital because, look at the monitor, my heart rhythm is perfectly fine now - the pacemaker did its job, I'm good, let's go home, and don't you dare make the other kids worry this is worse than it is.  Knowing what comes later, the look on her face in that opening moment breaks my heart.

Share Post

2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Something that just kills me on re-watch is Sharon at the beginning of part four, when she's ready to leave the hospital because, look at the monitor, my heart rhythm is perfectly fine now - the pacemaker did its job, I'm good, let's go home, and don't you dare make the other kids worry this is worse than it is.  Knowing what comes later, the look on her face in that opening moment breaks my heart.

As you said above @Bastet, having these eps back to back definitely caused me to miss some things. (Or forget them, rather.) 

What I noticed in the scene you reference is how her face crumpled ever so slightly when the Dr tells her she’s being discharged ... “FROM THE ER!”  When she realizes she’s *not* going home. <sigh>

Share Post

1 hour ago, betsyboo said:

• As Rusty struggles to get Andy to a chair and the doctor straightens up from talking to him, Amy & Tao stand up to hear the bad news, while Provenza collapses into a chair in defeat. The reason it struck me - and I apologize if this seems so weird and stupid, is that IMO they stood up as a sign of respect, because that’s what you do for a doctor coming to give you news. Good or bad. And even tho they clearly had to have intuited that it was going to be bad, it was still ingrained in them to stand. I guess it reminded me of my many years of Catholic school, followed by many many many more of lapsed Catholicism, but when that priest came into my mom’s room to perform last rights, I popped up like a jack in the box. Weird thing to focus on I know but I thought it was consistent for both of their characters. I like that they leaned on each other. Same for Provenza. He had been standing in anticipation, but once he realized she was gone, his feet went right out from under him. 

My two cents. 

I think, sometimes, we face bad news on our feet, so that we are as prepared as possible for flight or fight.  It's defensive.  I think I've done it once or twice myself, but I can't consciously remember when - blurred memories of horrible things also being defensive....

Share Post

1 hour ago, kassygreene said:

I think, sometimes, we face bad news on our feet, so that we are as prepared as possible for flight or fight.  It's defensive.  I think I've done it once or twice myself, but I can't consciously remember when - blurred memories of horrible things also being defensive....

Yes! Agreed. Maybe that’s why I noticed. 

Share Post

I guess I'm the only one who gives some slack to Gus. I often don't recognize people I've met in person, let alone looked up on the Internet. So even if I looked someone up, if I saw him 2 years later, it wouldn't click either.  People even use HITG to identify someone who they recognize from seeing in several roles on TV, but who they can't place other than He It's That Guy that is on lots of shows. Frankly, I probably wouldn't recognize Stroh as the man I waited on 2 days ago, so I'm not blaming Gus for not knowing who he was immediately.

That said, I really don't want Rusty and Gus to get back together.  I'm not a big Gus fan and we don't all have to marry the first person we fall in love with.

Share Post

In my area the reruns of MC air on the local NBC affiliate at 2 and 3am Sunday mornings.

I never watched The Closer or MC faithfully but watched enough to know the basics of what was going on. I watched the the entire last season of The Closer (Brenda's Mom's death still makes me sad) and the death of Sharon has made me sad too. Some people earlier in the thread mentioned deaths on ER specifically Lucy. Her final scenes stayed with me for a long time.

I have more thoughts but don't have the energy to express them. I just binge watched the last 4 episodes that have aired.

Share Post

I am just now circling around to watching the beginning of the season, and I've been reading the threads on those early episodes as I watch them. I didn't realize they started laying the groundwork for Sharon's death so early in the season, since I came in on this season 3/4 of the way through Conspiracy Theory ep 3.   They were actually a bit heavy-handed about it, imo.   It's weird, and sad, to see people on the forums speculating on whether Sharon's flu is just the flu, or a Big Deal, and then people saying they hope they don't kill her off.  I know this comment would make more sense in those episode threads but I wasn't sure if it was ok since it would be a spoiler in that thread.  

I know that Mary McDonnell knew from early in the season that Sharon was going to die, but I'm now wondering when the other actors knew.  Has anyone seen anything about that?

Edited by kilda.

Share Post

2 hours ago, kilda said:

I know that Mary McDonnell knew from early in the season that Sharon was going to die, but I'm now wondering when the other actors knew.  Has anyone seen anything about that?

She knew early on that James Duff was thinking of killing off Sharon this season, and then somewhere along the way she found out he had indeed decided to go that route.  She didn't know all the specifics of how Sharon would die until she read the scripts for Sharon's final two episodes.  Tony Denison didn't know Duff was going to kill Sharon off until shortly after they filmed the wedding episode (which made him sad, and he kept hoping Duff would change his mind).  I don't know about anyone else; the other actors may not have known until they got the script, as that happens a lot.  (Which is why Mary McDonnell has taken care to give James Duff credit for keeping her apprised of his thoughts - that he was considering it, then that he'd decided to do it - rather than blindsiding her with the usual, "Um, when you get the next script ..." phone call.)

2 hours ago, kilda said:

I know this comment would make more sense in those episode threads but I wasn't sure if it was ok since it would be a spoiler in that thread. 

No, you can't spoil future events in episode threads; if you mention it there, it has to be under spoiler tags, as do any replies about it, so it's usually easier to just discuss in the later episode's thread.

Share Post

On 12/28/2017 at 8:46 AM, Percysowner said:

I guess I'm the only one who gives some slack to Gus. I often don't recognize people I've met in person, let alone looked up on the Internet. So even if I looked someone up, if I saw him 2 years later, it wouldn't click either.  People even use HITG to identify someone who they recognize from seeing in several roles on TV, but who they can't place other than He It's That Guy that is on lots of shows. Frankly, I probably wouldn't recognize Stroh as the man I waited on 2 days ago, so I'm not blaming Gus for not knowing who he was immediately.

That said, I really don't want Rusty and Gus to get back together.  I'm not a big Gus fan and we don't all have to marry the first person we fall in love with.

You do have a point, but Stroh is a very specific threat. Not only might Gus have seen him on the news or read up on him from the Internet. Stroh was a brazen serial killer, who had made a habit in the past of getting close to people related to his case. When he got involved with Rusty (heaven help us), he should have been shown pictures and even some interview footage of Stroh, told just how dangerous he was, and to watch out for him like you'd watch out for a serial killer who might be stalking you. Put in his place, wouldn't you burn into your memory the face of someone who wanted your beloved dead? It feels like an absurd plot hole to me that Gus wouldn't recognize him. Still, a fitting capper for Gus. I didn't like him ever since how dickish he acted when we first saw him, and I never got how some people back in the lamented imdb forums thought he was too good for Rusty. Quite the opposite in my view. It seemed a clear clue he was off when after a terror type attack at the office, the movie he insisted on showing Rusty that night was Die Hard, after Rusty asked for assurances it wasn't too graphic/violent. WTF?!

Regardless, killing Sharon is it for me. It was unnecessary, pointless, and if I fully process it, it will ruin ever rewatching the show. I'm going to not finish the season, which won't be a big loss since I've not cared for the tone of this entire season, and I don't want to spend any more time with Stroh now, even to see him dead or imprisoned. I know the characters are fictional, but I still think of things like how shitty Buzz would feel for having left the perp in the room with Sharon. After all, their confrontation ended up with Sharon's heart failing. Everyone would have felt like they should have pushed her harder to go home sooner. While I was never a big fan of Nolan, even if it fit somehow with an arc, making him suddenly skeevy left a bad taste in my mouth. If they were going to do that, maybe he at least should have ended up in sexual harassment training during that story.

Nevertheless, the actors did a great job with the material, aside from the annoying Meraz character and the actor's weird facial expressions to go with her. I could have watched years more of the ensemble cast. 

So, I've deleted the remaining episodes, and if I rewatch, the show will end with season 5 for me. I'll push aside and ignore what I know about this, like what I sorta vaguely remember about the awful end to the brilliant show Dexter. Between all the years of The Closer and Major Crimes, it is still an exceptionally good run. Just a shame that we didn't get more because TNT is a network that has had a tendency to screw over some of its best rated shows just because they don't fit its new direction. I don't watch anything TNT makes now, and will try to avoid getting into anything of theirs in the future.

Share Post

20 hours ago, JakersWild said:

killing Sharon is it for me. It was unnecessary, pointless, and if I fully process it, it will ruin ever rewatching the show.

I have, and it kind of does. So I will cling to my vision of a not too distant future in which CGI can believeably capture and reanimate real life actors from their video archives, and, for Major Crimes, have a reveal that Sharon's death and funeral were faked to lure out Stroh, because he really only feared her. And it's okay if I don't live to see this future, I just need to imagine it.

Share Post