S06.E08: Conspiracy Theory Parts Three and Four 2017.12.19

While working two seemingly connected murders, the division suddenly uncovers a series of sexual assaults against servers from Tackles. As a new theory about the killer gathers steam, however, an unexpected twist throws Major Crimes off course and Sharon Raydor off- balance.

Sharon Raydor must make decisions related to her ongoing health problems while arriving at the solution of a series of murders and sexual assaults.

Share Post

TVGuide article including video, if you want a sneak peak at the 100th episode (it's a nice scene between Sharon and Provenza, but it will spoil the update on her health, so if you want to wait until tonight to know that, don't watch).

Share Post

Holy Shit. I was not prepared for that ending. I thought it was all going to be a fakeout, especially with how hard they kept dropping those anvils. 

Wow. I just can't believe Sharon is dead and there's 4 more episodes left! WTF?!  

Share Post

That was gutsy. I guess once they knew they were writing the end of the show, why not have the most dramatic event possible?

I still have trouble believing that the wife would kill two people (and take the chance of being discovered) to protect the family money.  To protect her son, sure, and killing her her husband in a rage if she had just found out about his horrible behavior, maybe, but killing the two women just seemed too risky for purely financial gain.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse.

Share Post

Agree with all above. There was no reason whatsoever for this heart condition and killing her off. Not happy at all about how they have chosen to do this final season. 

Share Post

Well that sucked. I thought Duff said there would be a happy ending. I'm not happy!

5 minutes ago, ljp said:

Agree with all above. There was no reason whatsoever for this heart condition and killing her off. Not happy at all about how they have chosen to do this final season. 

Duff made a remark about how they did everything TNT asked, trying to keep the show on the air. I wonder if one of those asks was for a younger person to head Major Crimes.

Share Post

1 minute ago, Percysowner said:

Well that sucked. I thought Duff said there would be a happy ending. I'm not happy!

If Stroh gets his, I'll be pretty happy.

I guess Rusty should have shown Gus a picture of Stroh.

Share Post

None of my real-life peeps who watch this show have seen the episode yet; they both got home late and are watching part three right now.  Of course I didn't spoil, just said, okay, call me when you're done, but OH MY GODS.  I can't go through this alone.  I don't know that I've ever been this upset by a character death.

I had so many thoughts on the case, and the relationships, and all these things I loved, as the two hours went on, and they're all gone. 

I mean, kudos for going for the surprise factor.  And to go this long with a cop show before killing a major character, and to have her die in the line of duty but not in a hail of gunfire (it's not lost on me that she, like Provenza's fantasy, died at her desk [for all intents and purposes]).  Because I am in SHOCK.  The "OMG, they killed Taylor?!" reaction has NOTHING on this.

But really?

My own heart can't take this, because I am seriously reacting all over the place here.  If my cat commits me to a 72-hour hold, I will not blame her.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

I didn't realize the 10PM episode was a new one and then checked this thread and....OMG! Seriously? Just no. Just NO.  

Share Post

8 minutes ago, Percysowner said:

Duff made a remark about how they did everything TNT asked, trying to keep the show on the air. I wonder if one of those asks was for a younger person to head Major Crimes.

Ok but Provenza is clearly not younger. And none of the squad has stepped up in a way that makes them a reasonable choice. To me this just smacks of “more drama, pathos, angst” as the instructions. But this isn’t  that kind of show. I mean I watch all the hip new shows, but I like this show because you can’t have a steady diet of that. You need comfort food too.  

Edited by ljp.

Share Post

I don't usually post for this show, but I agree with everybody that's posted.  She finally gets her promotion, a new husband, and Rusty is growing up and we get this.  I can't believe there are actually 4 episodes left.  They're going to be difficult to watch.  I'd have been more accepting maybe if there was only 1 episode left and they wrapped everything up.  Has anyone heard if they are bringing back Kyra Sedgwick for the end and maybe that's why they went in this direction.  I just can't believe this after everything.  I would have expected Andy or Provenza, but not Sharon.

Share Post

1 minute ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Gus recognizing Stroh on the amateur murder board will be a big deal. 

The superlawyer tipped off the family so they could start moving money out of the country? No. The plot is a shambles, a clumsily lashed up salad of "scenes," in the emo sense. Mary McDonnell basically ordered these, and if you don't like it, you can blame her, in my opinion. She will be in the other episodes in video, of course. But in the end the final four are I suspect going to show us who the producers liked, because they'll be the ones emoting. 

Share Post

It would be nice if her latest heart episode was used as an excuse to have her fake her death until they caught Stroh, but I guess that would be too much to hope for (although 'Bones' did it and went all the way through with a funeral for Booth).  The 'worst' I was figuring on happening was that someone that we all knew would die/be killed and Sharon would get their heart (Gus?  Amy?  The new guy-in-charge?).

Share Post

11 minutes ago, sjohnson said:

Mary McDonnell basically ordered these, and if you don't like it, you can blame her, in my opinion.

Well, no, you can blame the executive producer who actually decides what happens to the characters.  Lots of good info on how this came out via this interview with McDonnell.

Also, it sounds like another What Would Sharon Raydor Do? podcast will be coming Thursday (not sure if she's doing it Thursday and it will be posted Friday, or if it's being posted Friday).

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

I haven't seen the episodes yet but am glad I checked here first.  I'm going to need a bottle of wine on hand before I can watch.  And seriously? With 4 episodes to go - that's insane. 

Share Post

I was half-expecting to find out that Stroh somehow damaged Sharon's heart!

There's no way the Vegas detective would have the authority to drop Makisha's drug charges so that she would testify.  That would have to come from much higher up-probably the Vegas DA.

Share Post

12 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

It would be nice if her latest heart episode was used as an excuse to have her fake her death until they caught Stroh, but I guess that would be too much to hope for (although 'Bones' did it and went all the way through with a funeral for Booth).  The 'worst' I was figuring on happening was that someone that we all knew would die/be killed and Sharon would get their heart (Gus?  Amy?  The new guy-in-charge?).

I actually wondered if that was something they were going for because Stroh pops up just as Sharon dies?!  

I think I'm in denial.

Share Post

Just now, tessaray said:

I haven't seen the episodes yet but am glad I checked here first.  I'm going to need a bottle wine on hand before I can watch.  And seriously? With 4 episodes to go - that's insane. 

That's why I said it was gutsy.  It really is, when you think about it.  After she received extreme unction, I was fairly sure that she would exit by the end of the episode.  And Provenza was rightly worried she'd work herself into a tizzy, and then the phone started ringing...it was well done.

Share Post

3 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

There's no way the Vegas detective would have the authority to drop Makisha's drug charges so that she would testify.  That would have to come from much higher up-probably the Vegas DA.

I can't believe I can actually remember anything about the case right now, but Hobbs asked to speak with the Vegas DA; the "we'll drop it if" conversation was about what the DA, not the detective, had offered.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

Y'all?  I have serious problems, and my cat probably should go ahead and commit me -- I have the repeat of part three on in the background, and my ears just sort of tuned in to hear Gus babbling in the elevator, and I actually yelled at my TV, "Oh shut, up, Gus!  Why aren't you dead instead?!"  (Because one of my thoughts, before Sharon's death wiped them all out, was that he's bugging me so fucking much now I don't even care if he winds up a victim of Stroh.)

And while I'm temporarily regaining my senses and thinking about other things in these episodes (but, first, fuck you again, TNT, that I couldn't enjoy part three for a week), how the hell has Gus never seen a photo of Stroh?

Getting back to the fact I can't fucking believe this, I seriously somehow thought the phone was ringing not just because her pacemaker was going off, but because they'd found a heart.  Okay, the "I'm almost done" scene made me start to wonder in a way I hadn't previously, but I still didn't believe they'd kill her off.  So when we saw but didn't hear the doctor talk to Andy, even though his and Rusty's reaction screamed that she was dead, I still convinced myself what the doctor was really saying was the time had come far sooner than they'd thought, but she needed a transplant, and they had one.  I did not believe she was dead until the doctor said it.

Which, again, okay, I have to give props - great storytelling; I don't remember the last time I was surprised. 

But just insert wail here, because I've been going back over TV character deaths that have made me sad (and there have been many; when art does what it's supposed to do, you get caught up in a character and truly care when they die) and I can't come up with one that has had me pacing around the room and intermittently tearing up an hour afterward like this (because you're supposed to get caught up, truly care for a short while, marvel at what good television/film that was, and then get back to real life).

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

33 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

That's why I said it was gutsy.  It really is, when you think about it.  After she received extreme unction, I was fairly sure that she would exit by the end of the episode.  And Provenza was rightly worried she'd work herself into a tizzy, and then the phone started ringing...it was well done.

During the whole last rites scene, I was rolling my eyes at how heavily they decided to go into the drama.  And I rolled my eyes when she collapsed, yet again, after heavy interrogation.  I thought for sure she'd go to the hospital and get a heart transplant, as unrealistic as that would be.  It wasn't until I saw a head shake that I started to consider that they might actually kill her off. 

It's gutsy. I don't know if I would have done it with four episodes left.  I'm a little scared about what's to come because I've enjoyed these non-Stroh-focused mysteries.  And I keep thinking about how much I'll miss this show.  Maybe the last four episodes are going to convince me otherwise*. 

*Not really. I like well done procedurals and this was one of the few left.

Share Post

59 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Right?!? Wtf?!?!?!

I’m still crying. I’m going to need a minute. But it was gutsy. Even if it was very much “women can’t have it all and have nice things.”

Let’s discuss: did Sharon work herself into this frenzy on purpose?  Because that’s what I saw. <ducks>

As a whole, I thought both episodes were executed flawlessly. I was still guessing at the end if it was the mother or son. (I mean, CLEARLY, the life coach was the baddie; he was played by Mark Deklin.)

I appreciated the update on Amy and Theo co-habitating. 

Where was Fritz? Also: didn’t he have a “cardiac event” too? And Andy?? Can the writers not come up with something different?? 

@Bastet I can name a few:

• Lucky Spencer on GH (before there were spoilers and I thought he was dead for a full week - circa 1996).
  • Henry Blake, M*A*S*H
  • Lucy, and later on, Mark Greene, ER
  • Will Gardner, The Good Wife
  • Derek Shepard, Grey’s
  • (not sure these count, but they sure as shit BROKE me: Leo McGarry (The West Wing) & Finn Hudson (Glee), due to the untimely deaths of the actors.)

Share Post

Trying - with little success; seriously, send the guys in white coats - to concentrate on other things during the repeat of part four, I tuned back in emotionally for a moment as Rusty, Sharon, and Andy were at home discussing all the flowers, and it reminded me of one of my many forgotten thoughts:

"The new doorman" - that's going to come into play with Stroh, I'm calling it now.  I know Rusty's undercover detail is downstairs, but bothering to say "new" doorman?  Something happens regarding access to the building.

@betsyboo, I was touched by many of those deaths.  But not like this.  None of my favorite - not just loved, but favorite - characters have been killed off until now.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

I thought I'd spit this out during one of my initial outbursts, but apparently not.  I connected very personally to Sharon's feelings on relying on a transplant, which requires someone to die, and for her to step ahead of someone else in need.  The reason for that is my best friend's mom (who is a second mom to me, as we've been friends since we were five - so nearly 40 years) needing a liver transplant but being adamant she won't take one ahead of a young person.  I couldn't fully articulate it then, and I certainly can't now, but when that conversation occurred, I was deeply moved.

And now that Sharon's final moments are on my screen and I cannot look away, I can once again try to go back to my original emotions and say Rusty and Sharon reminiscing on the "You're at the end of a very long line" scene had me grinning like an idiot, and then he said, "I came in looking for my mom, and then there you were" and suddenly someone was chopping a whole lot of onions in here.  I am such a fucking idiot for not seeing it coming; I really chalked it all up to her having to go out on leave (and thought there'd be a time jump before the final episodes, after which she'd had the non-transplant procedure to buy herself some time, at the end of which she'd decide to retire).

So, dying hours before your leave of absence is this show's version of the dying on your last day before retirement trope?

I can't watch again, I can't watch again ... someone come unplug my TV.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I can't believe that Gus didn't know what Stroh looks like! smh

16 minutes ago, betsyboo said:

Let’s discuss: did Sharon work herself into this frenzy on purpose?  Because that’s what I saw. <ducks>

As a whole, I thought both episodes were executed flawlessly. I was still guessing at the end if it was the mother or son. (I mean, CLEARLY, the life coach was the baddie; he was played by Mark Deklin.)

I appreciated the update on Amy and Theo co-habitating. 

Where was Fritz? Also: didn’t he have a “cardiac event” too? And Andy?? Can the writers not come up with something different?? 

@Bastet I can name a few:

• Lucky Spencer on GH (before there were spoilers and I thought he was dead for a full week - circa 1996).
  • Henry Blake, M*A*S*H
  • Derek Shepard, Grey’s
  • (not sure these count, but they sure as shit BROKE me: Leo McGarry (The West Wing) & Finn Hudson (Glee), due to the untimely deaths of the actors.)

That crossed my mind for a half second. Esp. when she told the priest about the woman in the hospital with 2 young kids. He told her that "God give us this life that we defend it to the end" Her response was "defend yes, compete no". I think she made up her mind to let nature take it's course with little intervention.

All of those tv deaths you mentioned were devastating. Lucky, Lucy & Mark Green stayed with me for awhile. Pratt's death on ER was pretty hard to take too.

Share Post

holy crap.

I just got into the show a few months ago and have been binging the past seasons on amazon, and had not seen any of this current season.  Hadn't even heard anything about it, except that it was going to be the last season, and was bummed about that.  I figured I'd watch this whole season when I got a chance.  Ran across part 3 of this tonight while dialing around and figured why not watch.  And then part 4 came on at midnight and I kept watching.

I can't believe they killed her.  She's one of my favorite characters on any show ever.  The anvils were dropping thick and fast (last rites, making the videos for Buzz, Julio asking to talk to her before she leaves and you just know he'll never get the chance to, her and Rusty reminiscing about their first meeting, etc), and I watched with this dawning sense of horror that they were really going to do it.  And then they did.  I feel almost like a real person died.  That was just cruel, to the characters and the audience.

Damn it, show.  

Bastet, can your cat put me in for a room next to yours?  Shit, I'm supposed to get up for work in 5 1/2 hours and there is no way in hell I can get to sleep now.

Edited by kilda.

Share Post

First of all, I hate you show!!! I had a bad feeling that Sharon was going to die but I was hoping that I was wrong. Still crying at this on the re-watch.

Second, I called the Stroh/Gus thing a few episodes ago and I HATE  that they are going there. At this point the only way I will be happy is if Brenda comes back and wraps this up or Rusty empties his gun into Stroh. 

Share Post

30 minutes ago, HollyG said:

All of those tv deaths you mentioned were devastating. Lucky, Lucy & Mark Green stayed with me for awhile. Pratt's death on ER was pretty hard to take too.

Omg I had blocked that out. Accckkkk

Share Post

On December 21st, 1981 the last episode of Blake's 7 aired in England. They killed off every last one of the main characters, devastating viewers. (As far as anyone knew. But scifi and soap operas... you know how that goes.) It's probably the most infamous example I know of a series ending. I didn't watch B7 until almost 20 years later and it was still hard to take. 

These decisions are risky. I'm pretty sure once I finish this season, I'm done - though I usually rewatch favorite shows on streaming or syndication.  This one isn't like Person of Interest, where the ending made sense for the characters we knew, making it easier (though bittersweet) to rewatch. 

I hate TNT for forcing the show into this.  Like a previous poster, I'm done with both USA and TNT now.  (Well, okay, I'll probably check in to Suits to see how they handle MM's departure but that's about it.) 

Share Post

2 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

My suspension of disbelief threw up its hands in despair when asked to believe that Gus has no idea what Stroh looked like. He really wouldn't have googled the case or the history or ANYTHING about this most major part of his lover's life?

No. Sorry. Don't buy it.

I'm not saying the showrunners are going to pull some nasty twist about Gus knowing it was Stroh. I'm just saying it's just a stupid bit of drama to have a scene of Gus unknowingly sitting there with someone we know to be the bad guy, when there's really no excuse for him not to have a clue what Stroh looks like, especially when Rusty TOLD HIM that Stroh was again a very real daily threat! C'mon! I recognized Stroh with a full beard on a totally different show! Gus should have a clear picture of what the dude looks like. That whole plot development is amateur hour, especially for this show.

2 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

What do you think Julio wanted to say to Sharon.  Just a goodbye, or more?

Yeah... loose end that I hope they will clear up. It prompted me to think there's more to her "death" than we're being told right now.

1 hour ago, BooksRule said:

It would be nice if her latest heart episode was used as an excuse to have her fake her death until they caught Stroh, 

I'm not convinced that she's dead. I'm not sure how faking her death would protect anyone from Stroh, especially Rusty, but...

There's the loose end of Julio's "questions". And the "For your eyes only" video given to Buzz. If it was last goodbyes or a video will or something, why would she be so intent on talling Buzz it was for his eyes only?

And the way Rusty was so focused on Flynn rather his own shock (which was totally out of character in my opinion). Maybe thinking she's dead will lure Stroh into the open to get to Rusty? I can't think of a logical reason why having everyone think she's dead would be of any use, but there's something "off" about the whole thing to me. For one thing, they were focused on getting Rusty (and the phone) OUT of the room when she collapsed. He wasn't in the way or interfering. Yeah, he was upset, but he was also the one with the phone to the doctor, which no one bothered to take from him. Didn't they have Flynn take him out? Or was it Buzz? 

Or maybe I'm just jaded and don't believe this show could be that bold. Personally, as much as I love her, since the show is ending anyway, I'm going to be disappointed if she shows up alive at the end in a "fooled ya!" plot twist. 

1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

IF she is dead, I'm pretty sure she did it deliberately. The priest mentioned that the young woman in the hospital probably wasn't a match for her. Maybe she was and Sharon knew it. Maybe she was thinking "She may not be but some other person who should get the heart might be". Her entire rant before she collapsed was about how the killer-mom put her lifestyle above the actual lives of those young women who deserved full lives themselves. Maybe she didn't mean to do it right then, but also didn't care if it happened. As a devout catholic, she couldn't overtly kill herself. Would putting herself at risk by becoming emotional and stressed count?

Speaking of Catholic... can you get last rites when you don't know how much longer you might live? I mean, if not for this episode, she might have lived for months, right? (I wasn't clear on how long this temp measure was supposed to protect her). Seems kind of a cheat to get last rites too far in advance?

54 minutes ago, betsyboo said:

• Henry Blake, M*A*S*H
  • Derek Shepard, Grey’s

Haven't seen all those shows, but yes, Henry Blake on MASH was one of the best tv deaths of all time. Leo McGarry was heartrending, but since we knew the actor had died (sniffle) it wasn't a shock. The death of Mrs Landingham was right up there with the best of tv character deaths.

Share Post

2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I actually wondered if that was something they were going for because Stroh pops up just as Sharon dies?!  

As for Sharon getting someone's heart after Stroh kills them, maybe Sharon really isn't dead and she will get Stroh's heart... if there's anything left of it after he gets rounds pumped into him by everyone on the squad from all angles (like Trent Kort on NCIS)

Edited by slothgirl.

Share Post

14 minutes ago, slothgirl said:

For one thing, they were focused on getting Rusty (and the phone) OUT of the room when she collapsed. He wasn't in the way or interfering. Yeah, he was upset, but he was also the one with the phone to the doctor, which no one bothered to take from him

They were protecting him. They didn't want him to watch his mother die.  It made sense to me.

Share Post

So, without reading others thoughts (which I will get back to shortly), my thoughts during the show:

1.  "Oh god, they are going to end this with her getting Phillip Stroh's heart, aren't they..." (she moved up on transplant list)

2.  "Huh, I'm going to have to noodle on what she's doing in deciding not to compete, I've never heard it put quite that way"......(her conversation with her priest)

3.  "@ItCouldBeWorse nailed it (w/i the margin of error:)) last week! Congrats!"......the wife being the murderer

4.  "Jesus.......".....when she collapsed after the confession, presumably to die;

5.  "Oh, hi Phillip, I've been expecting you"......Stroh reveal

6.  "They killed her.....I can't freaking believe it".......waiting room

7.   [silent processing as I sat a bit rattled].....pausing the recordingas the scene ended for a bit

8.   "Wait a minute, she staged this didn't she, to draw out Stroh, she's not dead at all, but no one else (other than maybe Hobbs) knows this" ......as the credits rolled

9.  "Oh god, they are going to end this with her getting Stroh's heart aren't they?"  after the credits ended.

That was an absolutely stunning second episode, solely based on the exchange between Provenza/Sharon, Sharon's thought process revealed through her discussion with her priest, and those last few minutes leading to her death.  Some stunning acting in those scenes. 

ETA:  Random thought.....it's Julio that tracked Stroh....that's why he was gone in the early episodes (maybe extended bereavement was an excuse after his mom really did die?)  And, Sharon did talk to him....he had an update on Stroh but couldn't share it in front of the room, so she implemented her death plan that night based on his update.?

Am I just in denial here?

Edited by pennben.

Share Post

1 minute ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

They were protecting him. They didn't want him to watch his mother die.  It made sense to me.

yeah, I know everyone is always trying to do that... at least on tv.

Personally I think it's a wrong headed move to keep someone from "watching their loved one die" because you're also keeping them from "being there when their loved one dies" or "having a chance to say good bye to their dying loved one". They hammered us lately with the idea that Rusty is an adult now. Watching someone die is hard. Having someone die while you are in another room when you could have been there with them is even harder to live with IMO. I've done both. I'd rather be there. Get the person out of the way if they are hindering medical help, but let adults choose for themselves whether they can handle being there. "Protecting" people isn't always in their best interest.

Share Post

6 minutes ago, slothgirl said:

yeah, I know everyone is always trying to do that... at least on tv.

Personally I think it's a wrong headed move to keep someone from "watching their loved one die" because you're also keeping them from "being there when their loved one dies" or "having a chance to say good bye to their dying loved one". They hammered us lately with the idea that Rusty is an adult now. Watching someone die is hard. Having someone die while you are in another room when you could have been there with them is even harder to live with IMO. I've done both. I'd rather be there. Get the person out of the way if they are hindering medical help, but let adults choose for themselves whether they can handle being there. "Protecting" people isn't always in their best interest.

I suppose, but they were also trying to let Julio do chest compressions on her.

Share Post

This was the first time in a long  time that I had watched the show.

Sorry that  it had to end this way.

Share Post

9 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I suppose, but they were also trying to let Julio do chest compressions on her.

Which Rusty wasn't interfering with from what I recall, although he was getting a little hysterical, I guess.

Like I said... if someone is in the way of hindering medical care, they need to be removed. But just to protect them from watching? We're not talking a gruesome car wreck or bloody surgery here.

Share Post

WTF????? They really killed Sharon???? Just last week I posted how I didn't understand  where they were going with her illness because they weren't going to kill her off & this week she's DEAD????? My brain cannot comprehend this, she just got married, why did they have her get married if they were going to kill her off? That's so damn cruel.

They've still got 4 episodes to go & obviously those are about Stroh, I just can't believe Sharon won't be around to get him, could they possibly bring back Brenda?

Share Post

12 hours ago, slothgirl said:

Personally, as much as I love her, since the show is ending anyway, I'm going to be disappointed if she shows up alive at the end in a "fooled ya!" plot twist. 

In literally any other circumstance in the television world, I'd huff and puff all over the place if this turned out to be a ruse (complete with planted "this is how it went down" interviews to perpetuate it).  I'd start moaning about Bobby Ewing in the shower, cheap storytelling tricks, and - temporarily - declare the entire series a waste.  If they brought back Sharon Raydor, though, I'd forgive it all (well, okay, with some grumbling about cheap storytelling tricks); real life has sucked on a surreal level this year, and Major Crimes has been my security blanket.  To know it wouldn't continue was disappointing enough, but at least the characters - most of all Sharon Raydor, one of my all-time favorites - would continue on in perpetuity in my mind; we wouldn't be checking in on them anymore, and in short order I'd stop thinking about them, but I'd have all these happy memories and if I really thought about it I could picture whatever future I wanted for them.

For her to be gone is far more upsetting than it should be.  But how could they write themselves out of this?  The characters would have to know for sure not only that Stroh was indeed the dude back in town via that fuzzy picture, but also that he was going to be at Gus's restaurant (as an explanation for how Gus not only seemingly didn't recognize Stroh - which seems to strain credulity as an actual fact - but was also just randomly spewing info about Rusty to random customer, thinly-disguised Stroh).  And then decide pretending Rusty had lost his mom/primary protector was the necessary final step to make Stroh come after Rusty, thinking him less protected, in order to end this once and for all, and opt to capitalize on Sharon's health condition to pull that fake-out.  And, finally, stage the scene at the hospital where everyone is there and gets the news.  Complete with Gus being there; sure, maybe Rusty panicked and called him, since this was the worst condition Sharon had been in, but on the other hand it seems odd he called after such a short period of time between PAB and hospital, rather than making a "hey, um, my mom died, and I need you" call afterward.  Would they really think Stroh would be lurking in the stairwell, so that they needed to all act out losing her, and maybe set Gus or Gus/Rusty up as bait?  It's too much.  I want it, but it's too much. 

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

Everyone has covered the horrible part really well. I hope this is not the end of Sharon.

Here's a different question I had - are they finally going to let Julio have some happiness??  

My daughter was able to watch a couple of hours ahead of me, and started sending me "I HATE THIS SHOW!"  messages while I was still on episode one, so I knew something bad was coming.  

Anyway, this had better turn out to be a fake-out because I thought I made myself clear that I'm not accepting Sharon dying.  

PS - They really are hustling this off the air, aren't they, with suddenly two episodes each week.  Jerks.

Share Post

Sorry for double-posting,  (eta: by the time I posted this I wasn't double posting) but I want to go back to one other thought I had during the show.  I thought it odd, early on when she was in the ER that she was talking so openly about an ongoing case, using names of places/people, etc., in front of her Dr.  That struck me as unusual.

In my now firming up belief that she is not dead, I've decided that he's an undercover cop, not a doctor, and this notion of an implant was something they did so that he could be in constant contact with her in emergencies as they had tracked Stroh closer to LA.  The first instance was at the crime scene....out in the open....maybe they had tracked Stroh to the vicinity of the scene and that's why he pulled her out.  And that's what Julio was coming to speak to her about later. Whatever Julio told her just moved up her timeline to die/disappear.  Second time, as someone noted above, she did look like she was intentionally working herself up in the interview, and he only called her after she collapsed on the phone (when she texted him to call as she went down).  She knew everyone would see her collapse, so no one would question it. 

I'm now convinced a lot of this was to draw Stroh to her funeral.  At some point in the last episode, she's going to pull out a shotgun....and this time it's not going to be a beanbag she's using as ammunition (unless Rusty's Chekhov's gun shows up and beats her to the punch). 

From now until the end (or they autopsy her body, and really open her up), just consider me a Doubting Pennben.  And boy, am I going to have egg on my face if I'm wrong.

All of this speculating should not diminish the growing horror I felt as I thought I saw her death plan unfolding, nor the shock at that ending.  That was riveting.  

Now, we wait.  And I could not be more pleased that they are doubling up episodes.  Hell, play them all next week!

Edited by pennben.

Share Post

What @pennben, @ItCouldBeWorse, and, of course, @Bastet said. 

Denial vs. resignation. Resignation vs. Denial. Sigh.

Not to mention this episode kind of mirroring the last 2 years of my life. Long sigh.

I suppose Gus might not recognize Stroh with a beard.

More later.

Share Post

Wow, I cannot believe they killed off Sharon, that’s just unbelievable. Truly shocking. In fact I’m not completely sure she’s dead, like others have said, this could be an elaborate ploy to draw out Stroh, there is just too much unusual about this. What exactly was in the envelope Sharon gave to Buzz? What did Sanchez want to talk to Sharon about? And then it did seem like Sharon was deliberately working herself up at the end, and then of course the whole Stroh situation. But absolutely shocking ending. 

It really pisses me off if they’ve killed off Sharon for real, the viewers deserve a better ending than that, but hey, that’s one way TNT can make sure the show never comes back, kill off the main character. But I’m not happy at all about that. 

There was absolutely no reason for them to do this, it’s a complete bullshit ending for a great show, TNT was just so desperate to get rid of it that they had Sharon killed off. I actually hope this is a fake death because it would be a much better ending for the show if all of this did turn out to be an elaborate set up to lure Stroh into the open. 

And how the fuck would Gus not know what Stroh looked like? Stroh didn’t even look much different from when we last saw him, Gus should’ve known what he looked like. Most retarded writing I’ve ever seen on MC unless Gus was part of the ploy to get Stroh and knew who he was the whole time.

I have to say, Sharon should’ve just gone home, I don’t know why she was behaving like she really didn’t care about her health. Provenza was absolutely right in saying she shouldn’t be there, and she shouldn’t have been, someone should’ve forced her to go home.

As for the ending to the case, it went pretty much as expected. I knew Landon and his family would be the center of the case, not shocked at all that his wife was the murderer, I was surprised by Landon getting killed though. I was a bit unsure of why the wife killed him though, because she obviously didn’t care he was a serial rapist, she was just a sociopathic bitch who wanted his money, but how exactly would killing him help her? I guess so the victims couldn’t sue and take most of her husbands money, but how exactly was she planning to kill her husband and get away with it? Her plan didn’t seem well thought out. 

The good parts of these episodes were we got a lot of good character moments, Provenza was great as always, Sanchez finally got some good scenes, Hobbs was awesome and Paige was limited. 

I can’t wait to see where this storyline goes next week, but I’m very unhappy that they killed off Sharon, if she’s really dead that is. Total bullshit ending for the character and the show, having the final 4 episodes without Sharon will be bizarre. TNT just wanted the show gone so bad they wanted the final season to be terrible, but the fact is its still been a good quality show, but that was such a pathetic move to kill Sharon off. I’m not expecting a good ending to the show now, I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they killed off everyone or gave them all bad endings because with no characters there can be no show, right TNT asswipes? Fuck TNT for doing this to a great show, no excuse for them. Boycott TNT, don’t watch any of their new “edgy” shows that they ruined MC to promote!!!!!!!!!

Share Post

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Well, no, you can blame the executive producer who actually decides what happens to the characters.  Lots of good info on how this came out via this interview with McDonnell.

From that interview: "James included me in his creative thinking all the way through." Diplomatic for "I co-wrote my character this season, " in my opinion.

And:  "There was a bottom line of faith that Sharon demanded I explore in myself, and I was very, very, very pleased to get back in there." And: "She controlled her destiny to the last second. " And: "I honestly feel like what James has done has been done with the fans in mind, and with the idea of wanting to go through something with them, as opposed to putting them through something that wouldn’t satisfy them at the end." I don't doubt Mary McDonnell's feelings, and possibly James Duff's too, but it is not clear to me that the fans wanted to see Sharon Raydor die, so long as she controlled her destiny to the very end. Instead, I think James Duff might have thought the fans would enjoy seeing the interminable Philip Stroh terminated by Sharon Raydor's gun instead. Also Raydor's attack on Mason sounds like an actress shout out to producers, to my ears at least. Faced with the choice of seeing this as fan service, or an acting swan song, sorry, I'm seeing the latter. 

ETA: "Leading into Major Crimes‘ sixth and final season, series creator James Duff told TVLine, 'I gave Mary [McDonnell] something extraordinary to play, because she wanted to do something special. She has been one of my partners throughout this process, so we decided on something interesting and different for her to play.'" Perhaps as a viewer it's brassy to think giving an actress something extraordinary isn't quite the same as fan service.

So, unless this is really about clearing the decks for a Kyra Sedgwick guest shot....

Edited by sjohnson. Reason: betsyboo's link below

Share Post

7 hours ago, slothgirl said:

Speaking of Catholic... can you get last rites when you don't know how much longer you might live? I mean, if not for this episode, she might have lived for months, right? (I wasn't clear on how long this temp measure was supposed to protect her). Seems kind of a cheat to get last rites too far in advance?

Actually, it's not called the Last Rites or extreme unction anymore. The sacrament is now known as the Anointing of the Sick and can be given at any time for any illness, not necessarily a fatal one. I've received it several times and I have no expiration date set (that I know of).

Share Post