S02.E10: Blue Christmas 2017.12.13

The Ottos struggle to be together for Christmas; Taylor teaches Oliver how to ask out a crush. 

Share Post

Several years ago I had a new pair of dark wash jeans, and because my hands are always cold, I sometimes cross my legs over my hands to warm them up.  I went to the bathroom and was panicked for about two seconds because my hands were blue.  Until I washed them, of course.   So even though I could relate to the blue dye story, it seemed very unrealistic that he didn't wash them or that nobody at the hospital said, "Hey, it's probably just the dye from your jeans."  Don't most people know that's a thing by now?

Edited by AnnaRose.

Share Post

I've gotten blue hands lots of times from new pants or jeans.  To add to the merriment, I am allergic to that, so my legs get a rash all over them and then my hands get hives.  Blue hives are NOT sexy, by the way!

Loved Doris' maternity suite.  And, that baby is gonna be a wreck!  

My sound on my t.v. cut out -- what did the doctor say when Greg first came up and said hello?  Was it something about being a bad doctor?

Share Post

1 minute ago, Cowgirl said:

My sound on my t.v. cut out -- what did the doctor say when Greg first came up and said hello?  Was it something about being a bad doctor?

Something about that he's not forced to work Christmas because he's a bad doctor, but that it's because he doesn't play along with hospital politics.

Share Post

Thanks AnnaRose!  

I was horrified but laughing at how the hospital staff left Greg alone so long. I'm no nurse, but I think that if someone had a (legit) blue-hand problem, that would need some immediate attention.

Share Post

The whole "Christmas tradition" plot was a bit over the top, but I really did enjoy the Oliver subplot about asking the clerk out.

Towards the end, Katy Mixon gave this smile and I thought "She is the show."  I know not everyone agrees, but she is just charming.

Share Post

1 hour ago, MaryMitch said:

The whole "Christmas tradition" plot was a bit over the top, but I really did enjoy the Oliver subplot about asking the clerk out.

Towards the end, Katy Mixon gave this smile and I thought "She is the show."  I know not everyone agrees, but she is just charming.

I had my doubts about her during the first episode or two of the pilot, but she totally won me over.  I really love Greg though too!

Share Post

It felt a little too clunky to me that Doris had such a suite that there was a parlor with sliding doors, such that Katy didn't initially realize it was there, and it had the fireplace when she was saying kids had to open presents in front of fireplace, and yet when the nurse came in because the monitor went off due to low battery...they all had to leave leave, instead of just going into that other room and closing the door. I'm sure there's probably some medical reason to remove everyone but the patient from the room...but it just seemed weird since she clearly had invited them there and there was literally a closeable door. So it felt like a forced delay on the presents-opening schtick.

Also, there are not-serious reasons one's hands might turn blue easily, so the jump to gangrene was odd, especially given that they were conspicuously only blue on one side. Although maybe the point was Greg's doctor acquaintance was wrong about why he was working on Christmas afterall.

Share Post

3 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

Something about that he's not forced to work Christmas because he's a bad doctor, but that it's because he doesn't play along with hospital politics.

In reality, the Jewish and other non-Christian doctors volunteer to work on Christmas.

Also, there is no way that the hospital gift shop was open on Christmas.  Absolutely no way.

Share Post

Did we know that Doris was pregnant? If they told us that in an earlier episode I'd completely forgotten. That's the problem with Doris and Angela - too often their characters only get one scene and a line or two. I enjoy both characters and I wish they could be worked into the episodes in a better way. This episode did a good job with them. 

I got a kick out of the fancy 1% hospital suite. My only gripe was that when Katie was dictating all the conditions necessary for opening Christmas gifts she listed breakfast and they had already had breakfast at the house before she left for the hospital. So she expected them all to have another breakfast, since they were somewhere else? That was dumb.

Share Post

I love this show, but why are they turning AnnaKat into a psycho? She was so adorable and a little quirky the first season, but this season, she is showing some disturbing tendencies!

Share Post

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

My only gripe was that when Katie was dictating all the conditions necessary for opening Christmas gifts she listed breakfast and they had already had breakfast at the house before she left for the hospital. So she expected them all to have another breakfast, since they were somewhere else? That was dumb.

That bugged me too.  I also wondered why they didn't just relocate to Doris' parlour. 

Share Post

1 hour ago, Seamie said:

I love this show, but why are they turning AnnaKat into a psycho? She was so adorable and a little quirky the first season, but this season, she is showing some disturbing tendencies!

Yeah, I think they've been taking it too far this season.  It's gone from cute and funny to disturbing much of the time.  I hope the writers correct this soon.

Share Post

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Did we know that Doris was pregnant? If they told us that in an earlier episode I'd completely forgotten. That's the problem with Doris and Angela - too often their characters only get one scene and a line or two. I enjoy both characters and I wish they could be worked into the episodes in a better way. This episode did a good job with them. 

I got a kick out of the fancy 1% hospital suite. My only gripe was that when Katie was dictating all the conditions necessary for opening Christmas gifts she listed breakfast and they had already had breakfast at the house before she left for the hospital. So she expected them all to have another breakfast, since they were somewhere else? That was dumb.

Maybe she wants them eating "second breakfast" like she does? LMAO

Share Post

Did we even find out if Doris had a boy or girl? I know we definitely didn't get a name.

The way the kids were acting about the presents was moving pretty solidly from funny sitcom hijinks into spoiled obnoxious brat territory IMO. If I had screamed, "OPEN THE DOOR" and addressed my dad by first name at my current age, let alone Anna Kat's, I would most certainly be living to regret it...

Share Post

On 12/18/2017 at 7:47 PM, SnarkySheep said:

Did we even find out if Doris had a boy or girl? I know we definitely didn't get a name.

The way the kids were acting about the presents was moving pretty solidly from funny sitcom hijinks into spoiled obnoxious brat territory IMO. If I had screamed, "OPEN THE DOOR" and addressed my dad by first name at my current age, let alone Anna Kat's, I would most certainly be living to regret it...

Yes, the kids' attitudes have been horrible this entire season. Season 1 everything made sense from Olivers's Sell out Attitude to Anna-kat's OCD. Now, they keep flipflopping everywhere. If I was Katie I be angry all the time too. Everyone tells her to just be one of the crowd and Greg acts like people care about what he does and worries more about what other people think instead of using his own brain.  Taylor has gone from just not being book smart to using words and doing actions that would make any other parent think she has a cognitive problem and Oliver can't seem to decide if he just wants to be a teen who thinks being rich will be the perfect life for him and being naive to it. To being a kid I would smack. 

Share Post

On 12/20/2017 at 10:25 AM, readster said:

Taylor has gone from just not being book smart to using words and doing actions that would make any other parent think she has a cognitive problem

I was actually thinking of this comment while watching "Blondetourage" last week, and Ellen mentioned that Taylor only does two-letter words in Scrabble. SERIOUSLY?? I don't care how "dumb" you supposedly are, you're not doing that...

Share Post

5 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

I was actually thinking of this comment while watching "Blondetourage" last week, and Ellen mentioned that Taylor only does two-letter words in Scrabble. SERIOUSLY?? I don't care how "dumb" you supposedly are, you're not doing that...

That's what I mean. That's just too much, even Mike on Mike and Molly who couldn't play scrabble at least tried to make up more intelligent words. When Ellen made that comment I wanted to go: "How does she even get dressed in the morning?"

Share Post