S29.E08: Mr. Lisa's Opus 2017.12.03

As future Lisa writes her college application essay for Harvard, she recalls disappointing birthdays that helped shape her.

Share Post

Title: Princess Penelope!

Couch Gag: The couch gag becomes the Lincoln Memorial...and then into a penny. Which is Homer's raise. 

Man, I was really feeling for Lisa. Her seventh birthday, if anything, was worse than her eighth, and I'm glad they (kind of) remembered that one. Weird to know that Luigi of all people treats her better than her actual family. I was more disturbed that they basically rewrote the origins of both Homer's receding hair and Maggie's pacifier than Lisa's awful teacher (who definitely had similar shades of Bart's kindergarten teacher) and fourteen year old Ralph with hair. Or hell, associating young Lisa with references to the late 90s probably tops all of that.

Holy shit It's Leon Kompowski AND they got his voice back. And Artie Ziff is back, too. And still a creep.

Loved the knock at the Flaming Moe, it was even served in the cup from Universal Studios.

I was figuring that this was too similar to Lisa's Wedding and wouldn't measure up to it at all...but this got pretty damn close. Really loved Lisa at Harvard, it was honestly sweet to see the rest of the family be so supportive. I guess they had to put the rest of their research for last year's Boston episode SOMEWHERE. Hell, I'm pretty sure I heard Dana Gould's voice coming out of the father of the girl Bart was making out with. Also caught a flyer for the Harvard Lampoon in Lisa's dorm room.

Gotta love little references to stuff Like Bill & Ted when Napoleon, guitar in hand, walked out of King Toot's.

"Stop drinking?! But that's like asking a golfer to stop drinking!"

"Now have a spiritual awakening."
"...Oh my God...things that are $9.99 are actually ten dollars!"

EDIT: Also caught "Lisa Simpson is Last Jazz Musician" and a headline about California sinking into the ocean.

Edited by Galileo908.

Share Post

I loved the end with Lisa bonding with her new roommate...and also implying that they were "more than friends"? Hey, it's college, I say go for it.

Share Post

The coin in the intro had "Vescere Bracis Meis" on it -- which is Latin for 'eat my shorts'.

Must. Stop. President Kid Rock.

B.F. Skinner was a weiner -- Hah !! 

34 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

I was more disturbed that they basically rewrote the origins of both Homer's receding hair and Maggie's pacifier than Lisa's awful teacher (who definitely had similar shades of Bart's kindergarten teacher) and fourteen year old Ralph with hair. Or hell, associating young Lisa with references to the late 90s probably tops all of that.

EDIT: Also caught "Lisa Simpson is Last Jazz Musician" and a headline about California sinking into the ocean.

Jar Jar Binks and Qui-Gon Jinn ?  Dial up Modem to the Internet ?? Nirvana ? What the hell ?  Because Lisa looked to be about 2 in the piano scene, which would put them around 1984 -- predating Star Wars Episode 1, the Internet AND Nirvana. Lisa even took that 1989 Bleeding Gums Murphy poster with her to Harvard, so we know the piano scene occurred years before 1989.

Homer lost a lot of hair from when Lisa was in the 1st Grade to the when Lisa was in the 2nd Grade.  As did Abe.

Santa's Little Helper was looking a little rough while he was getting a bath in the sink.

Did anyone else notice that Bart's comic book was floating in mid-air while he was sitting in the kitchen ?

I like the end credits tribute to the ending of "All in the Family" -- in addition to the piano scene.

Sign in the Harvard Admissions Office: "No More Kennedys"

"Search for California Continues" -- I don't know if was because of an earthquake caused California to fall into the sea, because the accompanying map showed the entire state missing along the borders with other states.  I'm going to blame Hank Scorpio.

The search engine on the tablet was Oogle -- I guess they couldn't get Google as a paid sponsor.

Lisa also got into to Tufts, MIT, Oberlin, McGill, and Boston College, but the Harvard drone eliminated them all.

There was a box of Legal Weed that was unpacked by the robots in Lisa's room -- and there was also a bottle of illegal soda.

I am kind of curious why Lisa was carrying a "Free China from Tibet" sign by Jebediah Springfield's statue.  Or why she was on stage with Martin in what looked like 'Funny Girl' ?

Share Post

1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I am kind of curious why Lisa was carrying a "Free China from Tibet" sign by Jebediah Springfield's statue.  Or why she was on stage with Martin in what looked like 'Funny Girl' ?

Those seem to be clips from times between age eight and eighteen.

EDIT: I liked how it was Snowball I tripping Baby Lisa. Such a great detail.

Edited by Galileo908.

Share Post

Can't help still loving Artie Ziff after all these years, Jon Lovitz's cracks me up. 

Was not disturbed by Moe's robotic legs but WAS disturbed by Lenny and Carl literally bound together in Hell with Barney's head between them. Ew. 

Was that Martin's CHUM as the rowing team's coxswain?? 

Share Post

43 minutes ago, Kaboom 2.0 said:

Was that Martin's CHUM as the rowing team's coxswain??

And later drunk under a tree.

Share Post

53 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Those seem to be clips from times between age eight and eighteen.

What confused me initially was that those scenes were right after the college dorm scene, so I thought those were scenes from Lisa's college years.

Share Post

7 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I like the end credits tribute to the ending of "All in the Family" -- in addition to the piano scene.

Only thing missing was Homer saying something like"The Simpsons was recorded  before a animated studio audience." though that probably wouldve led to Norman Lear replying"This gives me another reason to sue!" lol

Share Post

I kind of hated the callback to Lisa's birthday song.  I hate it when they reuse the old heartfelt moments for silly new jokes.

Share Post

5 hours ago, Thrifty said:

I kind of hated the callback to Lisa's birthday song.  I hate it when they reuse the old heartfelt moments for silly new jokes.

I didn't think it was a silly though. Bart remembered Lisa's birthday and was doing something nice. I even thought the new lyrics were sweet, updated from hoping for a first kiss to finding first love now that she's fourteen.

Share Post

Must. Stop. President Kid Rock.

I hope this is not another prediction that comes true, like when they mentioned President Trump...

I liked this episode, but it was weird to me that Maggie seemed the same age when Lisa was 7 than she is in the "present" of the show. She should've been a newborn at that point.

Share Post

On 04/12/2017 at 12:31 PM, Galileo908 said:

Weird to know that Luigi of all people treats her better than her actual family. I was more disturbed that they basically rewrote the origins of both Homer's receding hair and Maggie's pacifier than Lisa's awful teacher (who definitely had similar shades of Bart's kindergarten teacher) and fourteen year old Ralph with hair.

What origin? They get them for $1.95 down at the Safeway.

On 04/12/2017 at 1:20 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Jar Jar Binks and Qui-Gon Jinn ?  Dial up Modem to the Internet ?? Nirvana ? What the hell ?  Because Lisa looked to be about 2 in the piano scene, which would put them around 1984 -- predating Star Wars Episode 1, the Internet AND Nirvana. Lisa even took that 1989 Bleeding Gums Murphy poster with her to Harvard, so we know the piano scene occurred years before 1989.

The Simpsons takes place in the present day, so that scene would have been circa 2011. The 90s nostalgia makes sense. As for the poster, I'm guessing she found it on eBay or something similar.

On 04/12/2017 at 9:11 PM, TDT said:

Only thing missing was Homer saying something like"The Simpsons was recorded  before a animated studio audience." though that probably wouldve led to Norman Lear replying"This gives me another reason to sue!" lol

They did a studio audience joke in "Lisa's Sax", the first time they did the All in the Family bit.

On 06/12/2017 at 1:20 AM, xander874 said:

I liked this episode, but it was weird to me that Maggie seemed the same age when Lisa was 7 than she is in the "present" of the show. She should've been a newborn at that point.

She was visibly younger than normal.

Share Post