S06.E06: Conspiracy Theory: Part One 2017.12.05

An attorney, well known for her defense of oppressed women is found dead and there is no shortage of high profile suspects. Meanwhile Rusty and Gus confront their relationship issues.

Share Post

2 hours ago, thewhiteowl said:

Meanwhile Rusty and Gus confront their relationship issues.

Let. It. Go.

Share Post

So we’ve gone from Rusty and Gus breaking up and Gus thinking his boss was just his friend, To Gus started dating his boss to ‘Gus cheated on Rusty’ with  his boss. I feel like I’ve missed a few scenes. 

Share Post

Timely episode, wow.  And an, um, interesting choice to make this case the backdrop for one of the more humorous episodes.  Some of the commentary by the guys was frustratingly realistic.  (Wes, go away.)  And, yes, some was funny and perhaps not made inappropriate because of the close relationship among the parties, despite it being at work - if that was an attempt at showing nuance, okay, but if that was a "hey, see, guys just joke about this stuff" message, no.

And, of course, one of the servers discriminated against is a stereotypical hot idiot, and the one who is adamant this is about rights and dignity, not money, is the non-blonde who dresses more plain than the others.

I'll wait and see how it goes. 

I definitely like all the mocking of the "Well, there are different rules in X industry" stuff.  And that it's not just the women calling some of this stuff out.

Some pretty thinly-veiled representations of real people in this, but, then, also a bunch who could stand for a whole lot of people.  When they actually name checked Rick Fox, I knew he was going to appear (if he was in the credits, I missed it; I was doing something during the opening and just listening).  I laughed at Provenza asking him to autograph the book to his wife, Louie, short for Louise.

We never heard Sharon referred to as Commander Raydor that I recall, but we also had no deliberate reference to Commander Flynn (like the shots of her now-with-wedding-band-hand), so I'm going to go ahead and rest easy she didn't change her name.  If that changes, you'll hear me yelling, wherever you are.

"Tasteless, the way they dress those waitresses there."  I do enjoy when Andy digs himself a hole, because Sharon gives him one of those "You are such a guy" looks, and he generally seems to truly be an evolved character.  I also, from the beginning of the series, love the looks Sharon and Amy always share when sexist stuff is being discussed or said.  Cami has joined in with that nicely.  (There's a reaction shot from Sharon that isn't even in focus [the focus is on Provenza] but is fantastic.  Bolstering my theory Mary McDonnell gives great reaction shots during all takes, whether she's on camera or not.)

"He seems to have a thing for attractive young women."
"Well, we're do our best, but we're over 30."

Firearms Francine!  I'm always happy to see her.

I love the director setting his sling on fire while trying to light the bag of shit.

Mike pissing Andy off by explaining what "directing jail" means was fun; I never tire of the Badge of Justice or "In my Reserve Officer Training" jokes.  Thus my amusement at Sharon rubbing her head as Mike invites Mason's mom for a set visit and Andy grumbles.

Julio's life is going to be difficult without his mom here to take care of Mark for him, so I like that they included that.  Hopefully Mrs. Sanchez's friends/neighbors that have always pitched in previously will continue to help him, but there are only so many people not your mom whom you can routinely wake up in the middle of the night and ask them to watch your kid, so he's going to have to work something out.

"You don't kill somebody who's paying you a ton of alimony."
"No, I'd have been dead 30 years ago."

Poor Morales; his crush on Wes will definitely go unrequited.  Are they really going to set up a Wes/Cami thing?  If so, why?  I would think this show would be immune from the "wrap things up by pairing everyone off" trend of final seasons.  I hope he's just being an idiot whom she rejects, because that was random.

They sure have fun with the Pacific Palisades jokes on this show; I'm not the stalker this makes me sound like, but that's where Mary McDonnell lives (at least I think she's still there; if not, she lived there for a long time).  And maybe they did it just as much on The Closer and I missed it, but it seems far more prevalent once she came along. 

Gus returning the book Rusty had given him and Rusty objecting made me think of Bill and Laura's "it's a gift/never lend books" thing on Battlestar Galactica.  Other than that, I don't care about their relationship.  I used to, but I was done right around the time they should have been, so I have no patience for dragging this out.  Aidan is a piece of shit, yes, but if Gus told him about Rusty's past, and slept with him before they'd officially broken up, then so is he.  Well, he's not, he's a basically good guy and was a terrific first boyfriend for Rusty, but he's done shitty things lately and their relationship is simply untenable at this point in life; they want different things.  Accept that and move on, which is what seemingly happened last season, and is now being undone by this drawn-out crap.  Heaven forbid Rusty ever just have one storyline like everyone else.

I like Sharon's "Dumbass, that's sexual harassment" toned talk with Wannabe Lawyer Rusty.  And, wow, Rusty - two months' pay and a recommendation; way to drive a hard bargain.  (Between the above and this, I should note I like Rusty, but he's just too much sometimes.)  But nice set-up of how many victims feel whatever they'd get even if successful in  pursuing a claim isn't worth what they'd have to endure during the process.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

I give props to Amy and Cami for not kneeing that football player/restauranteur in the groin.  I know I wanted to.  I guess the actor did a good job there.  I liked Rick Fox trying to distance himself from the "breastaraunt" and he's gonna have a talk with his agent; and loved Morales "not an Oscar winner".   I just love Morales.  Only in LA does someone who looks like Wes have trouble meeting women.  I'm glad they're exploring a little bit of the ramifications of his being undercover for so long and the trouble getting back into society but his desperation was cringe worthy. Mike's eyeroll at his insistence on interviewing the women made me laugh.     How sad, but not unexpected, that Rusty didn't realize that  what sexual harassment is.  But, Rusty, first you get the client.  Then you do the lawyering. 

Share Post

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Timely episode, wow…
And, wow, Rusty - two months' pay and a recommendation; way to drive a hard bargain.  (I like Rusty, but he's just too much sometimes.)  But nice set-up of how many victims feel whatever they'd get even if successful pursuing a claim isn't worth what they'd have to endure during the process.…

So doesn't the restaurant boss/Aidan live in the current world of #metoo?
Or is this supposed to take place pre-Cosby et al.?
Because if the former, wouldn't Aidan be thinking: Does Rusty really think I'm going to admit to (and settle regarding) doing anything that could be legally pointed to as a prior "bad act" (© L&O) of sexual harassment?

Share Post

Is it too cynical for me to to disbelieve that anyone could hear "I was fired because we broke up" and not think law suit? I mean, Cosby, Spacey, Hollywood blowing up with abuse allegations is one thing, but I was thinking about how Gus and Rusty are within my own generation and shit, we grew up with and in the aftermath of The Lewinsky Scandal. My whole childhood was one talking head after another discussing sexual harassment. It was inescapable.

Andy, stop it. Your wife gets that you aren't perfect and you're just embarrassing yourself backtracking all the time. But keep up the constantly praising your wife, that is good husbanding.

I think Wes could have come out looking super creepy but his sheer transparency about his motives sort of mitigated most of it. I'm surprised half the squad isn't eager to set him up with some future bride they know of. 

Share Post

I found Wes obnoxious- but then I don’t like either him or Paige. We hardly ever see anyone else on screen anymore besides these two. 

Share Post

34 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I found Wes obnoxious- but then I don’t like either him or Paige. We hardly ever see anyone else on screen anymore besides these two. 

Ditto. Does anyone know if the characters of Wes and Paige were supposed to take over after some of the older cast members' contracts expired if the show wasn't cancelled? Heck, if so, maybe TPTB took a look at this episode and said, He'll no!, We are not renewing with these guys as main characters. Maybe Paige was supposed to be the new Provenza and Wes was supposed to be the new Andy. The script in this episode kind of supports those characterizations.

Share Post

I'm sticking with my old theory on Wes and now Paige -- they simply need officers who can run, and up until now they were relying on Sykes and Julio. But Julio is getting on in years now and as we all know, Provenza doesn't run. Andy probably can't run due to his health problems (and while it used to be beneath Sharon's dignity to run, with her heart condition it can't be highly recommended), and I don't know if Tao has ever run at all. Somebody on the team has to be there for the old-fashioned chase scenes, not to mention that the officers who did the action scenes also tended to get hurt on the job. I lost track of how many times Julio got beaten up, but his getting shot on The Closer during that shoot-out at the Mall was pretty serious. Then Sykes' first defining moment as other-than-just-a-suckup was when she chased down that kid and kept her hands on his gun, ending up with I think a broken jaw. Most of the team at this point can't bounce back so easily or realistically from on-the-job injury, which cuts down on action scenes by a lot.

(I will say one of my favorite Flynn scenes ever was him fighting off an assailant in an empty parking lot after an AA meeting, where afterwards he refused to let the paramedics take him away until he had given a full report to Sharon, who at the time was still something of an adversary. The banter in that scene was great. But anyway, Andy's brawling days are well past him now.)

Share Post

7 hours ago, Bastet said:

And, of course, one of the servers discriminated against is a stereotypical hot idiot, and the one who is adamant this is about rights and dignity, not money, is the non-blonde who dresses more plain than the others.

I agree, but OTOH given some of the problems they have had in the past with the multi-part stories I'm not going to compain too much about them making various suspects and characters distinct and memorable even if the way they do so can be seen as potentially problematic reinforcing of stereotypes.

Mike pissing Andy off by explaining what "directing jail" means was fun; I never tire of the Badge of Justice or "In my Reserve Officer Training" jokes.  Thus my amusement at Sharon rubbing her head as Mike invites Mason's mom for a set visit and Andy grumbles.

I loved the return of "Badge" references too! I'm wondering if Mason talking about how he doesn't watch it, but his mom loves it was an inside joke relating to the audience of police procedurals being perceived as too old? And I thought the reactions to Mason and Tao's conversation was great too. You could practically see everyone thinking "Badge, Badge, Badge..."

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Ditto. Does anyone know if the characters of Wes and Paige were supposed to take over after some of the older cast members' contracts expired if the show wasn't cancelled? Heck, if so, maybe TPTB took a look at this episode and said, He'll no!, We are not renewing with these guys as main characters.

I doubt it. From everything we know about the TNT execs and the business in general they would prefer more focus on the younger characters to bring in more viewers in the demo and less time for "old farts" like Tao and Provenza.

3 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

I'm sticking with my old theory on Wes and now Paige -- they simply need officers who can run, and up until now they were relying on Sykes and Julio. But Julio is getting on in years now and as we all know, Provenza doesn't run. Andy probably can't run due to his health problems (and while it used to be beneath Sharon's dignity to run, with her heart condition it can't be highly recommended), and I don't know if Tao has ever run at all. Somebody on the team has to be there for the old-fashioned chase scenes, not to mention that the officers who did the action scenes also tended to get hurt on the job. I lost track of how many times Julio got beaten up, but his getting shot on The Closer during that shoot-out at the Mall was pretty serious. Then Sykes' first defining moment as other-than-just-a-suckup was when she chased down that kid and kept her hands on his gun, ending up with I think a broken jaw. Most of the team at this point can't bounce back so easily or realistically from on-the-job injury, which cuts down on action scenes by a lot.

I agree with this. Also you avoid stagnation by bringing new characters into the mix. When you keep the same ensemble without adding fresh blood from time to time you end up stagnant and repetitive. As far as Tao is concerned he has done some action, but I can't say I remember him chasing down suspects. I do love when we get to see Tao being a badass, but it works best when it's done sparingly and in contrast to his usual role as a bit of a nerd and it wouldn't be believable to have running around all the time.

Share Post

I'm not a fan of Paige so far. The actress pulls terrible faces sometimes and it's very distracting, like she's over exaggerating her own facial tics. And I see no chemistry between her and Wes whatsoever, but I've seen it between Wes and Amy. Do we know if Amy is still with Theo Huxtable, aka M-JW? If not, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to Amy/Wes getting close. 

And before they call it a wrap, I'd like to see Amy in some fancy clothes again, like that time she got called to a crime scene and was all dressed up. The actress is absolutely stunning. 

Share Post

1 hour ago, wknt3 said:
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Ditto. Does anyone know if the characters of Wes and Paige were supposed to take over after some of the older cast members' contracts expired if the show wasn't cancelled? Heck, if so, maybe TPTB took a look at this episode and said, He'll no!, We are not renewing with these guys as main characters. Maybe Paige was supposed to be the new Provenza and Wes was supposed to be the new Andy. The script in this episode kind of supports those characterizations.

I doubt it. From everything we know about the TNT execs and the business in general they would prefer more focus on the younger characters to bring in more viewers in the demo and less time for "old farts" like Tao and Provenza

Oh, I completely agree! I just thought the execs didn't like those "younger characters." And by that, I don't necessarily mean that they didn't like the actors (although that could be part of it), but that they didn't like the way they were written. I think the way they were written would've worked for actors who were at least 10 years older—like Flynn and Provena were back when The Closer premiered—especially Wes.

Share Post

It seemed to me like the waitress who ended up dead was upset about more than just being fired at age 30 in the interview scene. I was really surprised they didn't follow up with her until the whole finding out she was Dallas thing. Also could the costume people be any more obvious dressing her in all black, high neckline etc. We get it already. 

Share Post

54 minutes ago, emcmac87 said:

It seemed to me like the waitress who ended up dead was upset about more than just being fired at age 30 in the interview scene. I was really surprised they didn't follow up with her until the whole finding out she was Dallas thing. Also could the costume people be any more obvious dressing her in all black, high neckline etc. We get it already. 

Yeah, the visual contrast between her and the other two in the interview was over the top.

I, too, was surprised no one picked up on her "what happened to me" or "what I went through" emotion indicating she may have suffered something even worse than the harassment and firing they were all subjected to.  But, I guess if they did, this couldn't be a four-part arc?

9 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

(I will say one of my favorite Flynn scenes ever was him fighting off an assailant in an empty parking lot after an AA meeting, where afterwards he refused to let the paramedics take him away until he had given a full report to Sharon, who at the time was still something of an adversary. The banter in that scene was great. But anyway, Andy's brawling days are well past him now.)

I love that scene from The Closer.  All of it, but especially Sharon's "He better wake up" and Andy's description of the perp being something like: "[Height], [Clothing], Asshole."

5 hours ago, wknt3 said:

I'm wondering if Mason talking about how he doesn't watch it, but his mom loves it was an inside joke relating to the audience of police procedurals being perceived as too old?

Oh, I definitely think so.  It gave me a good chuckle. 

Share Post

In like this episode, looking forward to the rest of the arc.

I don't care about Rusty/Gus but this stuff  wasn't too bad.

I really don't like Paige at all BT, I love all of the other cops mocking her. I loved when Wes rolled his eyes at Paige when she once again interrupted Sharon.

Share Post

Interesting start to this storyline, I liked it overall. 

Case seems more simple than the last one, at least it did until one of the lawyer's clients was found dead at the end. This season still does feel like normal MC episodes, not nearly as overly complicated the as the previous extended arcs they've done. 

I'm not sure who is going to be responsible, all the suspects seem equally shady and potentially guilty, but since the plaintiff at the end was found dead I think it relates to the lawsuit against Tackles and that makes the ex football star suspect number 1. I also think that the doctor guy who Tao knows from Badge of Justice and his son will be involved as well, since they didn't have much to do but were talked about and pointed out. I will make one more prediction, and that is that the woman who ended up dead and didn't seem to care about money will turn out to have been raped by either the football star or someone else at Tackles, that is definitely what was up with her and probably why she was killed. 

It is a very timely episode with all the sexual predators being exposed right now, especially in Hollywood, I wonder if it was inspired by all of that or if it was written before and it is just a coincidence? 

I liked all the humorous stuff in the episode, by far the funniest we've had this year. The funniest was Flynn yelling at Tao from the interrogation room when Tao clarified the director's statement about no one hiring him, I laughed out loud at that. Also the Badge of Justice references, Rick Fox signing Provenza's book and the psycho director's filmed meltdown and then him sneaking around the victim's house and getting tackled by security were all funny as well. 

What the fuck was up with Nolan though? He was weird throughout, his behavior around all the women came across as desperate, pathetic and just weird. I normally like him but I found his behavior off in that episode. 

I do not like Paige at all, she's exceptionally irritating, the actress has no talent, and she's pointless as well. Adding her to the show was a stupid decision, we already have a ton of people on the show. Get rid of her and give Julio and Sykes more screen time, they've barely had anything. 

I liked that we got more of Tao last night, he's been underused up until this episode. I liked how we saw him being the field leader for a few minutes when they were at the office, Nolan calling him "sir" was weird though, like I say everything about Nolan was weird. 

Don't care at all about the Rusty/Gus storyline, yeah Aiden is scum but I don't find Gus exactly sympathetic. He cheated on Rusty with his boss and then after getting fired comes running back to Rusty and was even trying to tell him what to do about having a gun and all, I wanted to punch him. Rusty should forget about him, Gus has become a major douchebag. And Rusty again shows no knowledge of the law for someone who is studying it, everyone should know you can be sued if you fire someone for not sleeping with you. I think eveyrone knows more about the law than Rusty. 

Pretty good episode overall, I'm looking forward to seeing where this storyline is going. 

Share Post

19 hours ago, Bastet said:

Gus returning the book Rusty had given him and Rusty objecting made me think of Bill and Laura's "it's a gift/never lend books" thing on Battlestar Galactica.  Other than that, I don't care about their relationship.  I used to, but I was done right around the time they should have been, so I have no patience for dragging this out.  Aidan is a piece of shit, yes, but if Gus told him about Rusty's past, and slept with him before they'd officially broken up, then so is he.  Well, he's not, he's a basically good guy and was a terrific first boyfriend for Rusty, but he's done shitty things lately and their relationship is simply untenable at this point in life; they want different things.  Accept that and move on, which is what seemingly happened last season, and is now being undone by this drawn-out crap.  Heaven forbid Rusty ever just have one storyline like everyone else.

I like Sharon's "Dumbass, that's sexual harassment" toned talk with Wannabe Lawyer Rusty.  And, wow, Rusty - two months' pay and a recommendation; way to drive a hard bargain.  (Between the above and this, I should note I like Rusty, but he's just too much sometimes.)  But nice set-up of how many victims feel whatever they'd get even if successful in  pursuing a claim isn't worth what they'd have to endure during the process.

I like that no matter how he's been betrayed by some of the people in his life like his biological mom and Gus, Rusty in his way still sees the big picture and tries to do the right thing. It must be killing him to do this for Gus, but in light of what's happening with the case in this story, it would be wrong not to do it. I also like that this is his response to Aiden's unnecessarily nasty behavior when they last met. Much, much better.

Share Post

Finally a show from Major Crimes that I came to love. A mystery coupled with some humor and interplay between the staff.

I DVR so I could FF through all the Rusty-Gus crap.

Kudos to the writers.

Share Post

1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

What the fuck was up with Nolan though? He was weird throughout, his behavior around all the women came across as desperate, pathetic and just weird. I normally like him but I found his behavior off in that episode. 

I do not like Paige at all, she's exceptionally irritating, the actress has no talent, and she's pointless as well. Adding her to the show was a stupid decision, we already have a ton of people on the show. Get rid of her and give Julio and Sykes more screen time, they've barely had anything. 

This and this!  Nolan was weird and creepy, and Paige is useless character and lousy actress.  Both of them were so blatantly awkward that they took me right out of the story.  

Share Post

1 hour ago, jrlr said:

This and this!  Nolan was weird and creepy, and Paige is useless character and lousy actress.  Both of them were so blatantly awkward that they took me right out of the story.  

Definitely the worst part of the episode, even worse than Rusty/Gus, which I just didn't really care about. Nolan and Paige were just awkward and irritating, I normal like Nolan and have enjoyed his addition to the squad but he was just OOC last night, his behavior just came across as pathetic and strange, and Paige is totally useless and serves no purpose. I really hope they aren't trying to hook up Nolan and Paige, because it would just be beneath the quality of the show and incredibly forced. This show has provided such great characters for so long, that's why I hate seeing Paige come on, she's such a useless cardboard uninteresting character, and I don't know what was up with Nolan. Give us more of Julio and Sykes please. 

Share Post

I second (third? fourth? Hundredth?) all the comments about Gus and Rusty.  I initially liked them, then I appreciated the "growing apart" angle they took last season with them.  Their parting, especially after Gus told Aiden about Rusty's past, felt like it needed to happen.  I loathe where they are now.  If they wanted these two to be end game, then they should have had them apart, but still friends, only to realize they still want to be together.  Instead, they're adding more damage to what was done last season.

I was thinking about whether or not this would have been done in response to the scandals but I am pretty sure this probably had been written and filmed before the Weinstin scandal broke.  This show was cancelled on Oct. 3 and they were informed as they were about to shoot the final episode which would be in the next arc.  The Weinstein scandal broke a day or two later. 

I really hate that this show was cancelled.  It's comfort viewing for me.

Share Post

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

was thinking about whether or not this would have been done in response to the scandals but I am pretty sure this probably had been written and filmed before the Weinstin scandal broke.  This show was cancelled on Oct. 3 and they were informed as they were about to shoot the final episode which would be in the next arc.  The Weinstein scandal broke a day or two later. 

But it would have been written after the Cosby scandal was old news and also after the Hollywood Access tape reveal.

Edited by shapeshifter.

Share Post

12 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But it would have been written after the Cosby scandal was old news and also after the Hollywood Access tape reveal.

Yes, but a lot of the specifics feel very much more of the Weinstein stuff than Cosby (which was drugging and raping) or ever the Access Hollywood stuff.

Share Post

11 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Yes, but a lot of the specifics feel very much more of the Weinstein stuff than Cosby (which was drugging and raping) or ever the Access Hollywood stuff.

It could be coincidence. Or it could be because half of Hollywood knew about Weinstein. Or it could be because Weinstein is probably not an isolated incidence.

Share Post

42 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

About which most people still had no shits to give, given Cosby's mistrial and Trump's being, you know, elected president.

I'm on the hunt for information, because I can't just go by the usual timing, since airing of this season was delayed; going by normal parameters, this was written before the pervasive predatory behavior in the entertainment industry suddenly, at long last, became a subject of national conversation.  But that may not be the case; because of the schedule adjustment, it's possible this just happened to speak truth to power before it happened in real life.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

It may not have been national news yet but everyone who works on the show is in show business and the subject is what is happening in show business and it didn't just start with Weinstein or Cosby. Cosby and the tape may have contributed to Duff choosing that particular subject but it's not like it is news or new. Additionally, several shows have already touched on the issue. Usually, the do so in one episode only (apart from SVU which used the subject a few times over the years) but that is because they didn't have the format MC is using now.

Share Post

4 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm on the hunt for information, because I can't just go by the usual timing, since airing of this season was delayed; going by normal parameters, this was written before the pervasive predatory behavior in the entertainment industry suddenly, at long last, became a subject of national conversation.  But that may not be the case; because of the schedule adjustment, it's possible this just happened to speak truth to power before it happened in real life.

It will be interesting to find out what the connections were. Is there any chance that this current arc got some last minute tweaking? Or, since (like @CheshireCat said above) most everyone involved with the show has been around Hollywood for quite some time and is well aware of the casting couch syndrome, maybe this was something bubbling up in the Hollywood zeitgeist.

Share Post

10 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

It may not have been national news yet but everyone who works on the show is in show business and the subject is what is happening in show business and it didn't just start with Weinstein or Cosby. Cosby and the tape may have contributed to Duff choosing that particular subject but it's not like it is news or new. Additionally, several shows have already touched on the issue. Usually, the do so in one episode only (apart from SVU which used the subject a few times over the years) but that is because they didn't have the format MC is using now.

While I do agree it's well known and sexual harassment is common enough that this could have been written and played any time, the timing makes it seem like it was ripped from the headlines. And I think that's what us significant about it....that they decided to do an arc on it, likely before the Weinstein thing blew up, and it became very topical.  Sure, people there might have know about Weinstein but he has been getting away with this for decades.  How could they have predicted that his exposure and all the fallout would be playing out when this went to air?

Share Post

12 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

It may not have been national news yet but everyone who works on the show is in show business and the subject is what is happening in show business and it didn't just start with Weinstein or Cosby.

I know; the question is whether they just happened to do an episode about this topic before it became such a national conversation, and then by the time it aired it looked like a "ripped from the headlines" thing, or whether it was actually written after sexual harassment in Hollywood (and beyond) became a hot topic starting with the Weinstein revelations, as a deliberate continuation of that conversation. 

If you just look at the normal time between writing and airing, this was written before, and subsequent real-world events were just coincidental timing.  Which would really be something - they've made fun of all sorts of things about the entertainment industry before, but to write a four-part arc with sexual harassment, and people's reactions to it, at the forefront, and to specifically include a scene of a director stripping in front of a female actor and talking about her tits, and then suddenly, after all this time, have the topic blow up in national conversation.  But with how many things changed in the production schedule this season, I'm not 100% certain the normal timeline holds.

I suspect James Duff will be asked out this in next week's live chat (he does one before each episode), so I'll try to tune in for that. 

Share Post

2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

getting away with this for decades.  How could they have predicted that his exposure and all the fallout would be playing out when this went to air?

True. And it might not have been airing at the same time if some other unspeakable horror was playing out in real life right now, eclipsing the sexual assault scandals.
Probably this show is now totally out-of-sight and out-of-mind of the network execs who canceled it, but I'm curious about whether—after this arc began airing in the #metoo environment—any of them have watched it and noticed the timeliness, and are they relieved that it was canceled, or do they regret cancelling it.

Share Post

If they're going for the message that objectifying and harassing women is bad, doesn't that seem a bit at odds with Wes acting like a horny puppy?

I'm calling it now, Admiral Cornwell is the killer.  Although it's nice that they managed to get in another Star Trek guest star before the end.

Edited by starri.

Share Post

12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

While I do agree it's well known and sexual harassment is common enough that this could have been written and played any time, the timing makes it seem like it was ripped from the headlines. And I think that's what us significant about it....that they decided to do an arc on it, likely before the Weinstein thing blew up, and it became very topical.  Sure, people there might have know about Weinstein but he has been getting away with this for decades.  How could they have predicted that his exposure and all the fallout would be playing out when this went to air?

Why does it matter if it was ripped from the headlines or not?  

Mary McDonnell seems to be very supportive of women breaking the glass ceiling and I wouldn't be surprised if this was a subject she may have wanted to address, too, especially in the current political climate.

I find that the case itself seems to be inspired by what came to light about Ihop a while back rather than Weinstein. 

Is it just me or is the actress who plays the new detective not the most talented? I found her very one-sided in this episode, she seemed to always have the same facial expression and/or seemed to overdo it.

Since Wes hasn't come across has a kind of playboy before, it seemed weird that he was suddenly so hung up on the opposite gender.

And what was that comment from Mason in the tech room that he tried to explain away?

Where was Andy when they were looking for the ex-husband? Since they stated previously that he can go into the field again, it seemed odd that he wasn't there without an explanation.

I would have preferred to have a Sharon and Andy scene at home instead of the Gus-Rusty drama. And yes, I agree with the poster who said that it seems like we're missing several scenes. We totally are. They left it at a long-distance relationship that Rusty didn't believe was possible at the end of S5 and then never bothered to truly tell us where Rusty and Gus stand. I would have preferred had they gone with a break-up and Rusty had been allowed to move on. Gus was his first love and the break-up would have hurt but I think he should be allowed to meet other people, too.

I loved Provenza asking for an autograph. I also loved Sharon's facial expression when Andy was making the comment about the restaurant's waitresses and how it wasn't just a dark stare but that she seemed to not take it too seriously and then I loved her facial expression again when Andy was making the comment about police work keeping you young. Both were excellently acted, I thought!

Share Post

I think people are finding it hard to remember (I am) that the Cosby trial was this past summer.  The Weinstein story did not start the conversation, but it did begin the avalanche.

Share Post

The storyline is kind of a mishmash of stuff.  The specifics of the murder seem pretty directly inspired by the 2010 murder of publicist Ronni Chasen, which has been the subject of some minor conspiracy theory since the police, seemingly controverting the evidence, declared it a random act of violence.  The guru who is beloved by the cast and crew of Badge is a riff on Scientology.  And Bonnie Pearl herself seems to be a clone of Gloria Allred.

Share Post

On 12/5/2017 at 9:12 PM, Bastet said:

(There's a reaction shot from Sharon that isn't even in focus [the focus is on Provenza] but is fantastic.  Bolstering my theory Mary McDonnell gives great reaction shots during all takes, whether she's on camera or not.)

She does. I was just saying that to my husband last night. She is the very best at reaction shots, my eyes are always on her. The thing I'm going to miss the most about this show is the looks these people give each other. Constantly cracks me up.

I like that Rusty is helping Gus and wants to right a wrong that has happened even though he is still very angry with him. However, I don't really want them back together, that ship has sailed.

Share Post

10 hours ago, festivus said:

I like that Rusty is helping Gus and wants to right a wrong that has happened even though he is still very angry with him. However, I don't really want them back together, that ship has sailed.

I wish they had just manufactured some former classmate of Rusty's who is now working as a paralegal and who would be meeting with Gus and taking care of it. End of Major Crimes PSA on sexual harassment in the workplace.

Share Post

On 12/5/2017 at 11:27 PM, shapeshifter said:

Because if the former, wouldn't Aidan be thinking: Does Rusty really think I'm going to admit to (and settle regarding) doing anything that could be legally pointed to as a prior "bad act" (© L&O) of sexual harassment?

He didn't admit to anything. He gave him severance and a recommendation, not a large settlement.

I thought it funny that "Minnie" Pearl was wearing pearls with his bowtie at the press conference.

I didn't understand the significance of the glasses. Where did they come from?

Share Post

3 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

He didn't admit to anything. He gave him severance and a recommendation, not a large settlement.

The choice was between severance & references or the beginning of legal proceedings which would likely seriously mess with his reputation no matter what the outcome once the word got out. And as recent real-life events prove, that would be a real threat.

Share Post

On 12/8/2017 at 5:46 AM, starri said:

The storyline is kind of a mishmash of stuff.  

Part of it reminds me of The Borgata Babes lawsuit, 22 waitresses at the Borgata Casino sued (and lost) because the Borgata had strict weight rules, they couldn't gain more than 7% of their hiring body weight.

The judge ruled in the Casino's favor saying the "Babes" knew what they were getting into when they signed up to work and that they were considered "sex objects" so they obviously had to maintain a certain weight to be sexy to men 🙄

Sadly this was settled 4 years ago...wow hard to believe that logic.
Edited by Morrigan2575.

Share Post

I was thinking about the waitress at a Disneyland restaurant who wanted to wear her hijab and Disney said no you are a cast member playing a role

Share Post

The usual timeline between writing and airing did, indeed, hold true, and this was written before the Weinstein and subsequent wave of revelations finally resulted in a national conversation rather than the usual ignoring/shrugging off.  From James Duff via his post on the Major Crimes Facebook page about this episode:

I look back at last spring, when we first outlined the four episodes that comprise “Conspiracy Theory,” and shake my head in disbelief. Was it possible we knew, so far in advance, that the Weinstein Effect was poised to sweep the country? Was the unconscious deductive reasoning of the writers’ room working overtime? Or did we accidentally (if somewhat fortuitously) foretell, in shocking specificity, how the current revolution engulfing privileged molesters would play out? As much as I’d like to say we were prophets, the reality is…we just happened to show up with a story more relevant than we intended.

Also:

And we welcome back the always effusive René Rosado, as Gustavo Wallace returns to try and pick up the pieces of a broken relationship. Just as a reminder, what happens to Gus in this episode – and its solution (which will echo through our story) - was scripted back in April! Oh, well. No doubt a conspiracy theory will form suggesting we reshot these scenes, especially the one with Keegan Allen, who once again perfectly plays the handsome and despicable Aiden. His confrontation with Rusty (Graham Patrick Martin) appears as written in April and filmed in July. I will probably have to protest this point again next week. As I said, “Oh, well.”

I can't imagine any widespread "You re-shot that!" outcry; as far as I've seen, most people speculated it was just a coincidence that they happened to tell a story about sexual harassment (in the entertainment and restaurant industries, two of the worst offenders, but far from alone) and kind of marveled that it would up being so timely.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

4 hours ago, Bastet said:

I can't imagine any widespread "You re-shot that!" outcry; as far as I've seen, most people speculated it was just a coincidence that they happened to tell a story about sexual harassment (in the entertainment and restaurant industries, two of the worst offenders, but far from alone) and kind of marveled that it would up being so timely.

Yes. Maybe Duff was a bit conflicted about how enjoying the timeliness of the episode would give the appearance of cashing in on the victims' suffering?

Share Post

If only someone like that director would in fact wind up reduced to driving for Uber.  (Or that Tackles would be in serious danger of being put out of business.) But it’s a nice fantasy, and I laughed every bit as hard tonight as I did last week when he set his sling on fire while trying to light the bag of shit.

The “The nakedness was to show my vulnerability.  Stuff like that happens every minute of every day in Hollywood; there’s more of a grey area than people outside the business would think” line of justification is quite realistic, though.

I still can’t get over the conversation with Rusty and Sharon about Gus being fired.  I understand his initial reaction being to smirk that the guy who cheated on him is reduced to working a crappy job while Rusty’s life is going well, but even when Sharon tells him Aidan’s actions are illegal, Rusty is legitimately confused and asks, “How?”  The hell?  Quid pro quo is the one form of sexual harassment most people understand (hostile work environment is where you get all the “Oh, so you can get fired for telling a joke” blustering).  I love Sharon’s reaction to his ignorance.  Granted, Rusty's reaction to learning this is to go inform Gus of his rights and encourage him to sue (and, as I said last week, Gus's "it's not worth it" response is incredibly common and was very well played), but it just seems quite clunky to me that it was a revelation to Rusty, especially since he interns in the DA's office and plans on going to law school.

I'm curious about Rick Fox agreeing to play himself as a partner in a chain of restaurants based on the objectification of women, one that makes tolerating harassment an official part of the job description?  He says he thought it was a sports bar, has never been in one, and he's going to be talking to his reps about arranging the public appearance, so maybe there's more or maybe he thinks that makes him look clean, but he's not pulling out.  (And, if true that he sunk a bunch of money into a restaurant chain without setting foot in one or learning what it's about, he's quite an idiotic investor.)

Share Post

Wow,  canceled and still the Rusty and Gus show, or even worse the boring Sharon and Flynn story.  If I have to be at the end with characters I love why not bring back David, focus Julio or Chan or tell us what happened to Daniels instead of introducing the newbie.  This series was lost to me when they started focusing on Sharon's life. 

Rusty , the wonder law student...or was it journalist, or was it ????? does it again! 

Share Post

19 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

Wow,  canceled and still the Rusty and Gus show, or even worse the boring Sharon and Flynn story.  If I have to be at the end with characters I love why not bring back David, focus Julio or Chan or tell us what happened to Daniels instead of introducing the newbie.  This series was lost to me when they started focusing on Sharon's life. 

Rusty , the wonder law student...or was it journalist, or was it ????? does it again! 

Well, this is Major Crimes. David had nothing to do with Major Crimes. I've only seen a few episodes of The Closer and David was one of the characters I liked the least, so I have no interest in seeing him on a show he was never on to begin with. I, for one, am very happy with Sharon and Andy and appreciate every bit that they give us.

Edited by CheshireCat.

Share Post

ok.. this is totally nitpicky in the broader context of the story but..

Tibetan princess? WTF? Tibet doesn't have a royal family anymore and there aren't youngsters who are members of it hobnobbing with celebrities & elites like the younger European royals seem to..  

I think they just picked some faraway place that they knew nothing about and said "that's seems exotic enough and no one will know because who knows anything about Tibet anyway?"

Here's a story about a real Tibetan princess (who bears NO resemblance to the Tibetan princess who figured however briefly in the various scandals of this story-arc):

http://www.latimes.com/world/great-reads/la-fg-c1-tibet-princess-20150911-story.html

Edited by slothgirl.

Share Post

On December 6, 2017 at 4:26 PM, Xeliou66 said:

Interesting start to this storyline, I liked it overall. 

Case seems more simple than the last one, at least it did until one of the lawyer's clients was found dead at the end. This season still does feel like normal MC episodes, not nearly as overly complicated the as the previous extended arcs they've done. 

I'm not sure who is going to be responsible, all the suspects seem equally shady and potentially guilty, but since the plaintiff at the end was found dead I think it relates to the lawsuit against Tackles and that makes the ex football star suspect number 1. I also think that the doctor guy who Tao knows from Badge of Justice and his son will be involved as well, since they didn't have much to do but were talked about and pointed out. I will make one more prediction, and that is that the woman who ended up dead and didn't seem to care about money will turn out to have been raped by either the football star or someone else at Tackles, that is definitely what was up with her and probably why she was killed. 

Maybe she was raped by the doctor's son, and they conspired to kill her and her lawyer.

Share Post