S06.E05: Sanctuary City: Part Five 2017.11.28

1 hour ago, CaptainCranky said:

Not sure if this is the final season but if it's not I hope the shows producers stop these 5 episode arcs. I watch this show for the characters and for whatever reason the single show story lines seem to highlight that dynamic a lot more than the longer storylines.

As I understood it the network demanded the continuing arc based stories and that is what you will see until cancellation after two more arcs.

Share Post

5 hours ago, CaptainCranky said:

Not sure if this is the final season but if it's not I hope the shows producers stop these 5 episode arcs. I watch this show for the characters and for whatever reason the single show story lines seem to highlight that dynamic a lot more than the longer storylines.

Yes, it is the final season; TNT announced its cancellation just as they were beginning to shoot the finale (so, before this season started airing), but because of the way the network had been ignoring the show despite it being their number one drama and other factors, everyone had figured it was most likely going to be the final season, so it was written with that in mind -- so it could continue on, or it could serve as a good stopping point.

The multi-episode arcs were a network mandate, and will make up the entire season (13 episodes, ending in January); there is a four-episode arc coming up next, and then another four-episode arc. 

Share Post

4 hours ago, Bastet said:

The multi-episode arcs were a network mandate, and will make up the entire season (13 episodes, ending in January); there is a four-episode arc coming up next, and then another four-episode arc. 

Yuck. Go figure the network will screw up what has been one of the better TV shows I've had the chance to watch and enjoy in a long time.

When they do the multi-story arc on Stroh I'm not even going to bother to watch. I can find out by reading the comments here on what I missed.

Edited by CaptainCranky.

Share Post

On 11/30/2017 at 8:43 PM, slothgirl said:

My guess is that this diagnosis for Sharon (not to mention Andy's own problems) is going to be a reason for at least one of them to retire by the end of the season.

They are definitely setting up at least that possibility.  We know Mary McDonnell is one of the ones whose contract was up after this season, but so were a couple of other actors' contracts, and we haven't heard (that I've found, anyway) who those were.  Everyone figured the show was very likely done after this season, but it's possible some of those people decided they didn't want to renew even if the network surprised them and wound up not canceling the show. 

Sharon and Andy deciding that while they love their jobs very much, if their health issues mean they can't do them they way they want (because of limitations and/or because the stress of doing them full-out the way they want is a much more serious consideration than for the average person's health, given the circumstances), they'd rather retire and enjoy the rest of their lives in a different way is something that would make sense for a finale if the series is ending altogether, and also for a season finale, but where the rest of the cast would be coming back but not them. 

So while I don't think anyone is getting killed off, or even getting a dire prognosis, so that retirement is a wholly unpleasant thing forced upon them, I think it's a very real possibility they'll decide retirement is best.  Kind of like how Brenda went out -- circumstances forced the issue, but she did get to make the decision herself, go out on her own terms, and go on to something different but good; a little bittersweet, but not at all sad.

Spoiler

In part two of the next arc, Sharon suffers a "health setback," so it is going to be an ongoing issue for her just as it has been for Andy. 

Share Post

It's probably good that this is the last season, because I don't see that the writers really understand how to do serial arcs.  Like others, I ended up just ignoring the case because I'd forget from week to week who was who.  (Binge watching might have been a better viewing experience.) 

I thought the dress was a little weird for such an older bride but whatever.  For me, the highlight of the arc was how emotional Andy was when it came to Sharon.   I'm so used to the cynical, snarky Det. Flynn that it was actually a nice change.    

Share Post

On ‎02‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 7:44 PM, tessaray said:

It's probably good that this is the last season, because I don't see that the writers really understand how to do serial arcs.  Like others, I ended up just ignoring the case because I'd forget from week to week who was who.  (Binge watching might have been a better viewing experience.) 

While I don't mind the arcs, what I noticed is that they don't seem to use it to their advantage. It doesn't feel like they're leading up to this conclusion, more like they're spending the episodes pursuing different leads and then they find the killer. So, it's really done in the same format that they're doing their stand-alone episodes in, only stretched out over several episodes.

Share Post

Wow, this makes more sense sober.  :-)

I still think the partner's plan was unnecessarily intricate; he created plenty of confusion and wrong paths, yes, but he also left more elements to be discovered for what they really are.  Stealing the patient's passport, offering Lucas the chance to meet the Lakers but saying he can't tell anyone about it, kidnapping the boys and dumping them in Mexico, planting the drugs, killing Dr. Garza, faking the suicide letter confession, etc. - there's just a lot that can fall apart upon scrutiny, increasing the chances they'll be onto him.  And, really, did he think losing her son and husband was going to put Sara Garza in the mood for love?

I also still think Miguel laying out all the reasons Ryan's cartel theory must be wrong and the kidnapping had to be about Lucas rather than Ryan or him and revealing Lucas's belief his mom is having an affair was annoyingly convenient exposition; that should have been broken up among a couple of people, as they reached those conclusions, rather than him just rattling it all off.  That and the news round-up at the end are why I think the resolution feels somewhat rushed despite being five episodes in the making.

Lastly, I still think it was weird for Julio to be the only one adamant that suicide letter confession was bullshit.  Only Mason went all in on it, but Andrea was pretty willing to take it as true, too, and only Julio knew there was no way it was legit.

But, otherwise, I have a much more favorable impression this time around (and, it's not as if I disliked it previously, but now I genuinely like it).  There's nothing revealed that isn't supported by what we saw previously, so they didn't cheat on anything.  And there isn't really anything left unresolved.  Garrett and Father Casanova were red herrings, but that's nothing new, as there are always suspects that turn out to be bad guys but not The Bad Guy, and we learned what they were really up to. 

I loved the FBI apology scene every bit as much the second time around, thanks mostly to Sharon's snort laugh when the agent wants to see their evidence, but also Provenza's "now I have heard everything" when they admit they were wrong.

I also really liked the dinner at home with all Sharon's kids, especially when Rusty says they're all set for the wedding - unless they've all been excommunicated by then.  And Sharon's answer when Emily asks what normal things she did today:  "I went to the morgue, I made up with the FBI, I solved a murder I wasn't even investigating ... what else?"

Those poor boys, all three of them.  They had so much going on in their lives; Ryan was being beaten by his stepfather and was afraid to come out to his mom, Lucas's dad was losing the battle with addiction and his mom was telling him she was thinking of leaving his dad and being with someone else, and Miguel was being harassed by the head of some racist militia and worried every day he'd come home from school to find his parents had been deported.  And - other than the whole killing your stepfather thing Ryan had going on - they were good kids, and good friends to each other.  When Ryan thinks it was the cartel kidnapping them, and thus it's his fault Lucas is dead and Miguel is in danger, he tells Miguel to leave him behind - in Mexico - and escape without him.  When the police question Miguel, he lies to protect Ryan, and only gives up the stepfather information upon having his parents threatened with deportation.

It's sad how many lives he ruined or at least sent into total upheaval, all because he wanted the practice and the woman.  All these issues raised by his crimes, and ultimately it all boiled down to the usual plain old greed.

Share Post

Can anyone help me out with the rehearsal stuff? It confused me the first time around and it doesn't make any more sense the second time around. So, when they're in Sharon's office, they're discussing the rehearsal and that they have dinner reservations afterwards and that the restaurant closes at 10 or 10:30 whatever Ricky said. Sharon then says that she doesn't need to practice walking down the aisle but she still says that she'll see the priest "tonight". I'm under the impression that she called off the rehearsal by saying that she doesn't need to practice walking down the aisle but why would she see the priest then?

On a different note, when Patrice says that this wedding will happen by the book as the bridesmaids enter the church, was she referring to Sharon's love of the rules?

Share Post

There apparently can be lots of ritual with rehearsal too.  My youngest sister's first marriage didn't need much for the ceremony, but we followed it up with a dinner for family & close friends afterwards at a hotel (about 20 people, I think).  My other sister's wedding was modestly over the top; my brother-in-law had about twenty years of family & friends invitations to reciprocate, so the attendance as something like 350 people (one-third his family, one-sixth hers, and one-half their friends and colleagues).  They each took the week off before the wedding, and there were events pretty much every night.  Oddly, we did all of the rehearsal stuff (party, pix, etc) except for the actual rehearsal at the venue.  It went well, it was a great party, and I learned that fancy shoes you haven't worn in ten years are not going to fit, so I got to check off a hitherto unknown bucket list item: to return to my hotel from a fab party in my stocking feet because my shoes were now two sizes too small.

This kind of ritual has become rare in our lives, and also nowadays we are more likely to attend a wedding in someone else's faith, and most churches have rules that don't make sense to those of other faiths (I was raised non-liturgical; liturgical services baffle me).  Anyway, the more elaborate a wedding, the more you need to make sure everyone knows their places and steps. 

Edited by kassygreene.

Share Post

9 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Can anyone help me out with the rehearsal stuff? It confused me the first time around and it doesn't make any more sense the second time around. So, when they're in Sharon's office, they're discussing the rehearsal and that they have dinner reservations afterwards and that the restaurant closes at 10 or 10:30 whatever Ricky said. Sharon then says that she doesn't need to practice walking down the aisle but she still says that she'll see the priest "tonight". I'm under the impression that she called off the rehearsal by saying that she doesn't need to practice walking down the aisle but why would she see the priest then?

She ways saying she'd do her best to make it to rehearsal and then dinner afterward (neither of which could be pushed back - they had something going on in the church afterward, and the restaurant wasn't open late) that night - so, planning on making it by catching the partner in a lie, she told Father Whatever she'd see him then - but she wasn't interested in Emily's fussing over things to do in preparation for the rehearsal; Sharon's role is to look great and walk down the aisle, and she doesn't need the practice.  So, she's going to work until then, show up when she said she would, and if not, oh well, because she knew exactly what she needed to do for the wedding and didn't need to rehearse.

Since the plan worked and the partner was arrested, presumably everything went as planned with the rehearsal and dinner.

Share Post

On 12/1/2017 at 1:33 AM, Bastet said:

So I can't even blame an obsession with symmetry (something I'd understand despite its silliness, mind you) for Wes being one of the groomsmen.  He hasn't been around long, and the whole point of his early run with the squad was that he didn't know how to function as part of a team after so long undercover; there's nothing in general or specifically to indicate he'd grown close enough to be made part of the wedding party along with the rest of the squad, unless Sharon and Andy felt bad at the time they would have asked everyone else but him.  So adding him to the wedding party feels forced, and the "family" discussion between Cami and Mason would have read even better between her and Nolan, and kept Wes in the pews where he belonged.

I agree 100%. When I saw that he was still on the show in the new season, I had to think back to remember who he was. Once I did, I couldn't remember him becoming a part of the unit permanently. Why do they keep adding people. I still don't understand why Taylor is gone. Not that I miss him. I just don't get why he was killed off only for more people to be added. 

But yea, that addition to the wedding party felt forced. 

Share Post

On 12/8/2017 at 5:40 PM, love2lovebadtv said:

I still don't understand why Taylor is gone. Not that I miss him. I just don't get why he was killed off only for more people to be added. 

Since Chief Taylor had become the good boss, without a jumped up to Chief Johnson to raise his hackles they needed him out of the way for the evil boss of the Major Crimes commanding officer. And now we have a new good boss, I think.

Edited by Raja.

Share Post

On 11/30/2017 at 6:50 PM, starri said:

I do have to add:  Dawnn Lewis was a freaking knockout in the bridesmaids dress.

I like Patrice and she was fabulous in that dress. I do have a question, though. How old is Patrice supposed to be? And how old is Lt. Provenza supposed to be? I remember a line about him finally being with someone his own age. . 

Share Post

10 hours ago, love2lovebadtv said:

How old is Patrice supposed to be? And how old is Lt. Provenza supposed to be? I remember a line about him finally being with someone his own age. . 

I've wondered about that ever since Provenza said that to Dr. Joe about Patrice, because I said, "She's not close to your age!"

Dawnn Lewis is 56 and G.W. Bailey is 73.  Based on the myriad jokes about Provenza as an old man, I think the character is supposed to be around the actor's age.  If we age him down to 70, and age Patrice up to 60, does a 10-year age difference qualify as "close to my own age" or however he phrased it (because there was some qualifier in there; he didn't put them as the same age)?  Probably, at least given his history of dating women significantly younger.  And she was raising a college freshman granddaughter, although that probably means the daughter/mom was young ... basically, I have no idea.  I think it was more a distinction between a post-menopausal woman who has had and retired from a career, been in a long marriage, raised kids to adulthood, etc. versus the women he used to date, who hadn't completed any of those life cycles.

Share Post

Would Provenza still be allowed to work (out in the field) as a police officer at the age of 70?

Share Post

I thought Sharon in the wedding dress and veil was pretty much something she would do and I loved it. She didn’t have the veil over her face and her dress didn’t look white to me - more off white. I see no problem at all with a bride looking like a bride. Had she wanted to wear something else that would have been fine too but she walked down the aisle looking exactly how I assumed she would. Formal and “proper”. I have to admit I got teary-eyed when she was telling Ricky how happy she was. Why not? She was marrying who she loved and who loves her back. Winning!

Share Post

50 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

Would Provenza still be allowed to work (out in the field) as a police officer at the age of 70?

LAPD does not have a mandatory retirement age. They almost relegated Lieutenant Provenza to a desk but he finally got eye glasses and passed his weapons qualifications.

Edited by Raja.

Share Post

16 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Yes; the LAPD has no mandatory retirement age.

Oops - I don't know how I managed to scroll past this already being answered.  Sorry for the repeat.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

I agree that the resolution of the case was a bit "eh."  It was a very elaborate crime in the end but it kind of had to be, to have it play out over 5 episodes.  I think 3 episodes is about the most that really works for any given story on this show.  I wasn't clear if the undocumented family ended up getting deported, and if not, how did they get out of that?  

Two awesome Sharon moments:  1.  her "yeah right" snort when the FBI asked to see their evidence.  Not gonna lie, I rewound that a couple times to enjoy it again.  2. her line about not needing to rehearse.  "All I need to do is show up, look great, and walk down the aisle!  I don't need to practice for that!"  I never really understood why people need rehearsals for a wedding anyway.  You walk down the aisle in a dignified manner, maybe someone hands off a bouquet to someone, then you stand there and follow instructions.  It's not rocket science.

The wedding finally happened!  Not really loving Sharon's dress but I bought that it was something she'd choose.  I think they wanted it to be very romantic, which it was, I just think she'd go for something a little less fussy.  I don't mind it being white though.  One's wedding dress does not have to be a public announcement of one's virginity status.  

The bridesmaids' dresses were gorgeous and elegant.  And I never get tired of Andy being all starry eyed about her.  I had no problem with Ricky walking her down the aisle, but why the heck was Rusty a ring bearer instead of a groomsman?  Ring bearer is a job traditionally held by a 4 year old.  Julio's foster son was even a little old for that role!  He was very cute though and Rusty was cute interacting with him.  One thing I love about this show is that they show positive stories of people forming families by adopting older kids from foster care.  As adoptive mom to two such kids, this is very dear to my heart, and it's not something you see represented much on tv.

Nolan being in the wedding party made no damn sense, sorry.  The others have all been through so much together, they are a family, but Nolan hasn't been around that long or developed that strong a relationship with the squad, IMO.  I think she and Andy just felt awkward having him be the only member of the squad not in the party.

I loved Provenza and Patrice's little silent moment during the ceremony too.  Awwwww.

Sucks that Sharon and Andy didn't get to go on their honeymoon.  I hope they at least went somewhere nice for the weekend!

Share Post

finally remembered the other thing I wanted to ask - that whole send the kids' lawyers home and then question them again - is that actually legal??  It doesn't seem like it should be.

Share Post

I finally got inspired to re-watch season six (or at least this story arc; I can't decide whether to pretend it ends there or carry on), and wound up watching all five Sanctuary City episodes in a row.  Part five still plays as weaker than the previous four to me, especially all in a row like that -- great momentum throughout the case and then a resolution that doesn't really live up to it -- and there are some little timing issues and minor discrepancies along the way that I didn't notice the first time around, but overall this still came across as a good story arc.

And Sharon going into the confessional to interrogate her priest remains one of my favorite things ever.  As does her snort-laughing in the FBI agent's face when he asks to see their evidence.  And the face she makes at Rusty when he says, "The rules, Mom.  The rules." 

But I can't decide if I buy Provenza liking Detective Camila Paige.  Having a soft spot for her, a 20-year-old girl unexpectedly losing both her parents and having to raise five younger siblings, when he worked her parents' case, yes.  I can see him checking in on her during the investigation, and if the drunk driver went to trial, the whole process from accident to conviction could have been lengthy, so that would be even more time for him to keep a bit of an eye on her and the family.  And then at some point she joined the LAPD (maybe at his suggestion, even), so he'd continue to follow her life somewhat.  But this is Provenza, a curmudgeon who doesn't like many people, and she just doesn't strike me as being the kind of personality he'd like on the job.  Out in the field, when she starts telling Kelly Garret to call her, he tells her not to do that again, but all the times in the squad room when she's being her interrupting, blunt self, he doesn't react to her like the others do.  Despite the personal affection, he'd still be annoyed by her when she's being, well, annoying -- look at how he is with Andy!  And everyone else on the squad.  It just doesn't ring true to me.  It feels forced, like, "Here's this new character, and you have to like her right away, because she has Provenza's seal of approval." 

She was brought on by Mason as an expert in finding teenagers, but I don't see her as being particularly instrumental in solving the case (since none of them found the kids; one turned up dead and the other two got handed over to the FBI by Mexican police).  From the way she talks to Kelly, I buy that she's good with teens, definitely.  And she was the one to figure out where Lucas was taking them (to meet the Lakers), but still - that's what she was asked to do.  I don't know that anyone else on the squad, having been given that task instead, couldn't have made their way to the same guess. 

I do like her resting grumpy face, though.  The rest of her facial expressions are another thing I can't decide on - sometimes I find it funny, sometimes I find it annoying.  She has some good moments challenging the FBI agents on their immigration stance.  Mostly, I come out of this arc thinking she's an okay addition, but rather pointless, and I'd rather she just help on this case and then go back to Missing Persons.  Which is too bad, because it's nice to have another woman on the squad, and another person of color.

Share Post