S06.E05: Sanctuary City: Part Five 2017.11.28

As the case of the St Joseph Three reaches it's unexpected conclusion, Sharon tries to balance the case, her family's arrival and her upcoming wedding.

Share Post

My mind was about two steps behind Sharon's; I felt like I could almost grasp what she was putting together, but not quite.  I knew the practice was at the heart of this, but I guess I was picturing something more involved/unusual than an affair.  And I figured Ryan pushed his stepfather off the balcony, but they didn't really get into the circumstances of that, just said the DA wouldn't charge him as an adult and would only go for manslaughter.  I need to revisit this, which is something I haven't said of the previous four installments.

The "I like white women" reveal, drawn out and with the squad reacting at each stage, was funny, but also another "Huh, really, that's it?" aspect of the reveal.

Poor Ryan has a lot on his small shoulders, and the actor did a great job with it. 

Miguel pointing out all the logical holes in Ryan's belief the cartel is behind the kidnapping was cool, but it got a bit too much of an exposition cheat when he was also the one to reveal Mrs. Garza's affair.

The wedding was pretty much everything I hate in weddings, but so very Sharon Raydor.  Mary McDonnell said something similar, that it bore no resemblance to her own wedding, but if tasked with writing Sharon's, she couldn't have come up with anything more suited to the character.  Apparently, there were several "get me to the church on time" shenanigans behind the scenes getting it filmed, so hopefully we'll hear more on that.  Shooting Sharon like an angel was a bit much (I know Tony Denison disagrees; he has raved about that shot), and I can't with Ricky walking her down the aisle, but at least the veil wasn't over her face.  And we didn't have to sit through the ceremony; it was just the emotion, and that was sweet.  But was Patrice the maid of honor?  Or just lined up with Provenza?  Because wouldn't Emily be the maid of honor, but Patrice was closest to Sharon and the one to whom she handed her bouquet.

I must give The Closer/Major Crimes credit, because we’ve now seen Brenda, Patrice, and Sharon get married, and they were all normal people, rather than the stereotypical brides normally seen on TV.  They all wanted different things, but they were all rational and pragmatic about it.  Brenda suggested just re-using the dress she had from her first wedding rather than fussing with a new one.  Patrice said they should just get married at City Hall while Provenza had a break.  Sharon did not remotely flip that work was quite possibly going to interfere with the rehearsal dinner or even the ceremony, just went with the flow.  They all valued getting married over the specifics of the wedding, and didn’t treat the logistics as the most important thing in the world and go crazy over glitches and hurdles.

"While we're here, use us to ease up on Mom's stress any way we can."  Cue looks between Andy and Rusty.  Hee.  But also, aww, that Sharon's stress is only made worse by the knowledge her kids are worrying about her -- it's inevitable, but she doesn't want it.  So very Mom!Sharon.  It was nice to see Emily so happy to see Rusty, given how infrequently she comes to visit.  It was nice to see Emily, period; I would like to see more of Sharon with the women in her life, so I wish a little bit of Rusty and Ricky was replaced with Emily over the years.

It was cute to have Mary McDonnell's daughter as the vocalist - as I predicted, heh.  I got distracted by something and didn't see the full pan of guests - was Fritz there?  Because he absolutely would be if they could get Jon Tenney, but maybe they couldn't.  It was nice for Rene Rosado to just to sit there, and I totally buy that Gus would show up despite things with Rusty ending.  He really liked Sharon, especially, and was somewhat a part of all this - of course he'd show.

As I said, this, more than any of the previous four, requires me to go back and watch again to comment fully - and this one I watched upon arriving home after a few happy hour drinks, so who can trust my initial response - but random notes upon first viewing:

I truly laughed out loud at Tao's "afternoon delight" comment, because as soon as they gave the 3-6 timeframe, I started humming the song.

Julio having to be the one to threaten Miguel with his family's deportation - ouch.  I liked his insistence the suicide note is bullshit, and don't really know how anyone entertained the thought it wasn't.

"All that is required of me for the rehearsal is to show up, look great, and walk down the aisle.  I don't need to practice that."  Ha!  Go, Sharon.

"Now I have heard everything" when the FBI apologized gave me a chuckle.  As did Sharon laughing in the agent's face when he wanted to see the evidence.

Is the pink patterned shirt Sharon is wearing for part of this episode the same one she was wearing for part of the Hindsight arc (the one where she and Andy hugged in her office as they discussed her NFL job offer/Amy's deception)?  I don't think we've seen it since, and I'm not even sure it actually matches here, but it looks familiar.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

Did they ever say how Sharon was married the first time? Because I can't help but think this was the wedding she always wanted.  As a woman of a certain age (ahem), nice to think it can still happen.  MM's daughter has a wonderful voice. 

How do I look?  Better than usual.  HA.

Love Dr. Morales' delight at seeing the partner get arrested.  As soon as they mentioned an affair, I figured it was him.  The chief was right, all that mess over an affair (and possibly control of the practice).  That poor kid, killed because he didn't want his parents to get divorced. I can't imagine the mother will have an easy time dealing with that.

I'm going to miss this show.

Share Post

3 minutes ago, AuntieL said:

Did they ever say how Sharon was married the first time?

Not really.  We know that it was a church wedding, because she had to have it annulled, but we don't know if it was the whole spectacle like this one was.  Unless her parents hated Jack (not a stretch, on one hand, I acknowledge, but I think the Jack she married - rather than the Jack whose addictions took over - would have appealed to her family just as he did to her) and refused to contribute, though, I suspect she did.  Probably even bigger - extended family, their parents' friends, etc.  This one was the formality she wanted (Ms. Sense of Occasion), but also the intimacy - their families (I wish we'd seen a glimpse of Nicole, or maybe we did; again, I was unfortunately distracted during the part where we saw many of the guests), their work family, and their random friends we don't know. 

Share Post

7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

This one was the formality she wanted (Ms. Sense of Occasion), but also the intimacy - their families (I wish we'd seen a glimpse of Nicole, or maybe we did; again, I was unfortunately distracted during the part where we saw many of the guests), their work family, and their random friends we don't know. 

I haven't seen the episode yet but I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't there as Chicago Med is filmed in Chicago. So, it's probably tough to get her even for a glimpse. But it would have been nice if they had been able to work something out.

Share Post

Just now, CheshireCat said:

I haven't seen the episode yet but I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't there as Chicago Med is filmed in Chicago. So, it's probably tough to get her even for a glimpse. But it would have been nice if they had been able to work something out.

I was able to tune in to the repeat just in time to re-watch the wedding, able to focus on the guests this time, and she's not there (nor is Fritz).  I'm not familiar with the actor who plays Nicole, but if she's on another show, especially one filming in another state, then it explains why they couldn't get her even for a day.  I wonder if Jon Tenney also had a scheduling conflict, or if they just didn't want to shell out for him.  (That they couldn't have Brenda there with him shouldn't have been an issue; even if the news of her being given protection alongside Rios and Rusty means LAPD protection, indicating she's in L.A. rather than having taken the D.C. job talked about in season three, she could easily be out of town this weekend.)

Money is probably why we didn't see any of the former guest stars we've seen as members of Sharon's FID squad.  Anyone else missing?

I like that Kendall was there.

I forgot to check if there was an even number of bridesmaids and groomsmen, because unless that's the case I am at a total loss as to why Wes was included in the wedding party.

Share Post

Well now I remember which Mother I thought did all the hollering and bitching- and it was Lucas’ Mom.  The one having the affair.  Unlike the rest of you, I did not see the doctor as a murderer.  I was clueless.  

I did however have an idea that Ryan killed his step-Dad. 

Why does Sharon always seem so uncomfortable around her biological children? 

Share Post

3 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Why does Sharon always seem so uncomfortable around her biological children? 

Interesting; I don't see that at all.  I think Sharon adores having her kids around (but isn't guilt ridden when work takes her away from them, something I find refreshing for how rarely we see it on screen, even with adult children), especially when they're all together.  But Emily and Ricky aren't present for her daily life anymore, and she worked so hard for so long to shield them from the problems with Jack and her job.  Now Jack is good and gone, and her job has a different impact on her, and thus the kids, than it did when she was in FID (we've seen this since their first appearance).  So Emily and Ricky are a bit removed from things, and she still wants to protect them and is increasingly realizing she can't, but I don't get a sense of her being uncomfortable with them. 

Share Post

I thought Sharon looked ridiculous as a bride of a certain age. The veil, the long dress (in white no less!), the sheer sleeves. Erg. She could have rocked the room in a !lovely tailored suit.

Share Post

I finished the case with a big ol' WHAT. But then I remembered that one god-awful guy who asphyxiated his cousin/girlfriends' kids so that could clear the way for them to be together and realized that was basically the same motive here. The plan was still waaaaaay too convoluted though. Going to the trouble of kidnapping two other boys and framing them for Possession in Mexico, which why would that even be necessary? Even if this guy was psycho enough to believe that killing his girlfriend's son and husband would make her adore him, why bring the other boys into it at all to this extent? There have to have been a million simpler ways to kill Lucas. Dude, shove him off a cliff! Cut his brakelines, slip him some cyanide. If he was so brilliant that he could come up with this plan to obscure himself as a suspect, he couldn't have come up with one that didn't involve the insane amount of variables that two other kidnappees presented?

Anyway, on another note entirely, I lost my shit at the priests revelation that he only digs white chicks. Not at all what I was expecting to hear.

And yeah, I found it weird to see Sharon in white and a veil. I think that's a step too far for someone so traditionalist. Loved the singer, had no idea she was MM's daughter, but I have to say the choice of song was very odd. They changed the lyrics but I still think of Bernadette Peters' definitive performance and that is so not a wedding song:

Share Post

The whole squad leaning into the monitors to hear the priest confess to - liking white girls and their "wait, what?" expressions was one of my favorite parts of the episode. 

Share Post

37 minutes ago, rhys said:

I thought Sharon looked ridiculous as a bride of a certain age. The veil, the long dress (in white no less!), the sheer sleeves. Erg. She could have rocked the room in a !lovely tailored suit.

I am not at all down with the kind of wedding they had - church, white dress, veil, shit ton of attendants, etc. - but I don't put age limits on it for those who like it.  If that's your thing at 20, I'm going to roll my eyes just as hard as if that's your thing at 60 - it's the pageantry to which I can't relate, and age is irrelevant to that - and I'm not going to throw in anything extra if you're 60.  Especially if they're going to participate in this ridiculous fiction that wipes out their first marriages - for some purposes, but not all; how one invalidates marriages for 90% of purposes but then says, no, wait, the kids produced by these marriages aren't illegitimate, cuz we didn't mean that whole wiped out thing when we get to this pesky issue - there is zero reason to impose separate rules on them.

Share Post

After all that, I don't understand what the doctor's motive for everything was. I got he was having an affair, but I don't know why that made him do everything, I'm completely lost.

2 hours ago, rhys said:

I thought the fact that a woman who had already given birth to 2 children was wearing white was ridiculous & I agree about the whole outfit. It was completely wrong. 

Share Post

2 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

I finished the case with a big ol' WHAT. But then I remembered that one god-awful guy who asphyxiated his cousin/girlfriends' kids so that could clear the way for them to be together and realized that was basically the same motive here. The plan was still waaaaaay too convoluted though.

I agree.  It was a ridiculously convoluted plan that stretched the limits of my belief.  Which is disappointing to me, as I had been actually enjoying this arc and thought it was much more understandable than the last 5 parter.  Oh well, I still enjoy the show and all the moments with the squad and all, but wow, that was just a badly thought out conclusion to the crime.

Share Post

2 hours ago, rhys said:

I didn't mind the dress. But I thought the veil looked ridiculous!

I had a very hard time imagining what Sharon would wear to her wedding beforehand, if she's the kind of person who'd go white or not. I'm not sure she would have given her close connection to the church and the symbolism of the white dress. I think I would have put her in a simple ivory or beige/golden dress.

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I was able to tune in to the repeat just in time to re-watch the wedding, able to focus on the guests this time, and she's not there (nor is Fritz).  I'm not familiar with the actor who plays Nicole, but if she's on another show, especially one filming in another state, then it explains why they couldn't get her even for a day. 

No idea about Tenney but the actress who plays Nicole is a co-star in Chicago Med. :-)

Share Post

4 hours ago, AuntieL said:

How do I look?  Better than usual.  HA.

At that moment all I could think was: Not as good for this scene as you and Mary M would've looked 10 years ago
—and I'm old enough to be permitted to say that.

3 hours ago, rhys said:

Yes. A suit on Sharon would've helped a lot. It's not that the virginal white doesn't suit her character—I can understand that costume choice being discussed as symbolically appropriate—but at the bride and groom's ages, well, it reminds me of Miss Havisham from Dickens' Great Expectations, who was sitting in a darkened room in a decaying wedding dress of similar design when she was of similar age, and I am sure that is not what they were going for. I'm left wondering if we can blame the costuming of the wedding for the show's cancellation.

Both The Closer and this show (as well as other shows) have almost always had a story among the regular characters that was parallel to the COW. Was it here supposed to be that the wedding plans were as complicated as the murderer's and suspects' motives?

Mary M's daughter's singing pretty much single handed ly saved the episode.

Share Post

9 hours ago, rhys said:

I have a cousin who had a big wedding when she married husband #1.  She and husband #1 had three children. They divorced and she had a small wedding when she married husband #2. He died (after 20 years of marriage).  They had no children together.  By that time she was a grandmother and started seeing husband #1 again (they had always maintained a good relationship because of the children and grandchildren).  At 60+ years she remarried husband 31 and had an even more elaborate wedding than they had the first time.  My mother had to wear a strapless, backless bridesmaid dress.  It all looked really ridiculous, especially because the same two people had already had a big wedding -- TO EACH OTHER.  But we kept those thoughts in our head and never said them out-loud because we truly wanted them to be happy.

I am just glad that there was no mention of Philip Stroh or Rusty having a gun.

Share Post

12 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

I have to say the choice of song was very odd.

Most Catholic churches only allow hymns, but perhaps it depends on the priest/diocese.

11 hours ago, GaT said:

I thought the fact that a woman who had already given birth to 2 children was wearing white was ridiculous & I agree about the whole outfit. It was completely wrong.

I think a bride can wear whatever color she wants.  Isn't "only virgin brides can wear white" a thing of the past?  If that were still the case, no brides (or very few brides) would be wearing white.

There were more bridesmaids than groomsmen.  That's also OK "these days".  You don't want to ask someone to stand up with you just to make sides even; as well, you don't want to deny someone you are close to because that would cause uneven sides.

Motive?  That was the lamest motive for the convoluted mess of a crime.  So disappointing.

Share Post

I didn't mind the dress to much, I thought the cap sleeves over the lace was weird tho.  I liked the instrumental of Ave Maria but isn't that a Christmas song?  I was kinda surprised it was the other doctor that did the murder. I was really leaning towards his wife. Long drawn out way to get the girl!

Share Post

25 minutes ago, roughing it said:

Motive?  That was the lamest motive for the convoluted mess of a crime.  So disappointing.

I was sure I had missed something when they revealed the doctor as the killer and why he did it.  Up until then, it was a pretty good arc.

19 minutes ago, BookWitch said:

I liked the instrumental of Ave Maria but isn't that a Christmas song?

Not really.  It is probably heard more around Christmas, but it is not specifically a Christmas song.

Share Post

I am a wedding coordinator for a Catholic Church. Almost every wedding has a version of Ave Maria as part of the ceremony, although I have never heard it as the bridal processional song. The Church requires liturgical music during the ceremony, but some priests will allow popular music during the prelude, before the ceremony begins. And brides started to wear white because Queen Victoria did. It has nothing to do with the bride's virginity.

Share Post

12 hours ago, GaT said:

After all that, I don't understand what the doctor's motive for everything was. I got he was having an affair, but I don't know why that made him do everything, I'm completely lost.

I have to watch it again, because I, too, am lost as to why the affair sparked such an intricate, wide-reaching plot.  The resolution of the case was disappointing; the interlocking stories were laid out so nicely over four episodes, and then the resolution was rushed and unnecessarily complicated.  Now, I was a little tipsy last night, so perhaps when I watch it sober it will make more sense to me.

Share Post

8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Now, I was a little tipsy last night, so perhaps when I watch it sober it will make more sense to me.

I had to watch it a second time because I thought I missed something.  You'll be just as confused sober, trust me. ;)

Share Post

Just now, roughing it said:

I had to watch it a second time because I thought I missed something.  You'll be just as confused sober, trust me. ;)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I will be, and that disappoints me because I was really enjoying the story - and feeling quite relieved that it seemed serial storytelling was going to work just fine this season.  And I'm not at "Oh, that just ruined the whole thing" level or anything, but I do think the case rather fizzled out in the end.

Share Post

I liked this arc and unlike some of the others that MC has done, I had no problem following the story. (Although, I also had a problem telling the moms apart.) I think the reveal was good and it makes sense that the partner doctor went to such extremes if you realize he always intended to kill both the father and son. The son because he was in love with the mom and wanted her back and his partner because his past and continued drug use threatened to destroy their very lucrative practice. And I'm sure taking over the practice and the extra money didn't hurt either. So he planned their deaths but he had to know that even if they died by "accident" and/or suicide, two deaths in one family that are weeks apart are going to raise suspicion. If not with the police, then the mom might start to wonder because like the police always say "who benefits from the deaths." The partner must also have known there was a chance that even if he did his best to make these deaths not look like murders, he could make a mistake and an observant ME could find suspicious circumstances in one or both deaths.  So he planned a way that would immediately take suspicion off of him and place it on several other suspects.  And if this hadn't been investigated by Sharon and her team, he might have gotten away with it.

So I agree this was a intricate plan but I think the doctor thought he was smart enough to pull it off and get everything he wanted.

Share Post

Good input, @Desperately Random; now I'm eager to re-watch.  So that's what Mike's line was about, that he whipped up a national frenzy around these various issues as obfuscation - make two murders that were your garden variety "I did it for love" killings look like something completely different? 

Share Post

13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Both The Closer and this show (as well as other shows) have almost always had a story among the regular characters that was parallel to the COW. Was it here supposed to be that the wedding plans were as complicated as the murderer's and suspects' motives?

The parallel theme was marriage/family relationships and the church. Both Sharon and the victims/perps were struggling with the actions of the clergy and how it impacted what meant the most to them. It probably would be clearer if they cut mega MAGA guy and his daughter and made this 4 parts instead of 5 or expanded the wedding scenes.

Share Post

I loved the wedding and must admit my eyes teared a bit.  I must just be sappy as this doesn't seem to be a popular opinion.  I was also glad that the priests were not revealed to be murderers.  I wasn't sure if the story would go that way as it seemed as 'easy out.'

Share Post

18 hours ago, Bastet said:

I was able to tune in to the repeat just in time to re-watch the wedding, able to focus on the guests this time, and she's not there (nor is Fritz).  I'm not familiar with the actor who plays Nicole, but if she's on another show, especially one filming in another state, then it explains why they couldn't get her even for a day.  I wonder if Jon Tenney also had a scheduling conflict, or if they just didn't want to shell out for him.  (That they couldn't have Brenda there with him shouldn't have been an issue; even if the news of her being given protection alongside Rios and Rusty means LAPD protection, indicating she's in L.A. rather than having taken the D.C. job talked about in season three, she could easily be out of town this weekend.)

Money is probably why we didn't see any of the former guest stars we've seen as members of Sharon's FID squad.  Anyone else missing?

I like that Kendall was there.

I forgot to check if there was an even number of bridesmaids and groomsmen, because unless that's the case I am at a total loss as to why Wes was included in the wedding party.

4 hours ago, roughing it said:

Most Catholic churches only allow hymns, but perhaps it depends on the priest/diocese.

I think a bride can wear whatever color she wants.  Isn't "only virgin brides can wear white" a thing of the past?  If that were still the case, no brides (or very few brides) would be wearing white.

There were more bridesmaids than groomsmen.  That's also OK "these days".  You don't want to ask someone to stand up with you just to make sides even; as well, you don't want to deny someone you are close to because that would cause uneven sides.

Once Ricky gave Sharon away, he joined the rest of Andy's attendants, making it a total six groomsmen.  Sharon had four attendants. (WHY was Rusty a glorified ring bearer/baby sitter for Julio's son Mark?)

Uneven bridal parties are very common as @roughing it stated. 

Share Post

18 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

They changed the lyrics but I still think of Bernadette Peters' definitive performance and that is so not a wedding song:

It reminded me of the people who have The Police's "Every Breath You Take" at their weddings. Apparently they don't realize that it's not a love song --it's about an obsessive stalker.

Share Post

I still don't understand why the mom's lover would think killing her son was a good idea. If he wasn't also a successful doctor, it wouldn't matter that it was a dumb idea, but successful doctors are supposed to be smart. 

Share Post

7 hours ago, Bastet said:

So that's what Mike's line was about, that he whipped up a national frenzy around these various issues as obfuscation - make two murders that were your garden variety "I did it for love" killings look like something completely different? 

Yes, that's how I understood it. The partner wanted the wife but getting rid of the husband would have made him a suspect especially after if came out he was having an affair with the wife.  And that the husband's drug addiction was putting the practice in jeopardy which just adds to his motive for killing him.

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I still don't understand why the mom's lover would think killing her son was a good idea. If he wasn't also a successful doctor, it wouldn't matter that it was a dumb idea, but successful doctors are supposed to be smart. 

The wife broke it off with the partner because her son didn't want her to leave his dad. I forgot which of the boys told Tao? Julio? that the son knew his mom was having an affair although I don't think the son knew that it was with the partner. I guess the partner figured that the mom would never take him back as long as the son was against it.

As for the second (bold) part of your comment, I don't understand.  Are you saying that smart people don't make dumb decisions? Because if you are, then I couldn't disagree more.  His being a smart and successful doctor doesn't make him immune from exercising bad judgement.  Smart people make bad choices and have dumb ideas all the time.

Edited by Desperately Random.

Share Post

What a let-down. I sat through 5 episodes for that?  And there weren’t even that many Rusty scenes for me to FF through, like usual. 

Share Post

I think a bride can wear whatever color she wants.  Isn't "only virgin brides can wear white" a thing of the past?  If that were still the case, no brides (or very few brides) would be wearing white

I agree about the colors, but this was pie tradition.  Sharon HAD to have a church wedding so she HAD to have her previous marriage annulled,  yada yada... so I don't think white was appropriate.  BUT, I think she was wearing a slight of white.  I was sort of relieved.  

As for Rusty being a ring bearer? I about died laughing.  Did he have his stupid bowl haircut again?

That case went all kinds of no where and certainly didn't need 5 episodes.  I kinda hoped Sharon or Andy would keel over at the last minute.  Yeah, I'm a crappy person.  

Share Post

I thought this was a solid conclusion to the storyline, and I found this storyline fairly easy to follow unlike the previous 2 extended arcs. I'm not surprised that Dr Garza's partner was the culprit, he had access to the drugs and to Dr Garza's office, and I did buy it, he killed Lucas because he thought he was getting in the way of his affair with Mrs Garza, staging it by making it look like a cartel kidnapping and ditching them in Mexico, and then he killed Dr Garza, both to frame it to look like he was responsible and to eliminate him so he could run the practice and have his wife. I assume the other 2 boys were telling the truth when they said they never saw the kidnappers face, and he drugged them and they woke up in Mexico. 

The only loose end I wanted tied up was with Father Jonas, so he wasn't having an affair with any of the moms? What exactly was he doing in Mexico? And he really had no involvement in the case which was a bit anti climatic. 

I'm not surprised at all Marvin Garrett was a red herring, but I would've liked to have known what happened to him, I hope the asshole got locked up. 

I liked Dr Morales participating in catching Redfern, sort of made up for not seeing him as much so far.

I have to say, the one problem I have with the show now is there are just too many people in the squad, and please get rid of Paige. She's incredibly irritating and is a pointless character, please get rid of her, we already have plenty of people in the squad, I would like more focus on Sanchez, Tao and Sykes, we haven't gotten to see Sanchez really deal with his mom's sudden death, which I still think was a cheap ploy, we haven't gotten much centered around Tao in years, and we haven't seen Sykes' boyfriend Cooper in a while, I guess they are still together. 

I thought Sharon and Flynn's wedding was handled very well, no cheap drama just for the sake of it, and I like how we saw only the start of it with everyone there, nice to see the whole team, plus Mason, Dr Morales and Kendall there, also nice to see Patrice again, I've always liked her. It would've been nice to have an appearance from Fritz I agree, as I think both him and Brenda would attend.  I do have to wonder though, now that Flynn and Sharon are officially married, how will Flynn still be able to work in Major Crimes? It just seems ridiculous that they would allow Sharon to still be Flynn's boss now that they are married, even if they are both very professional. And since Flynn doesn't seem to do anything anymore, I'm unsure if they should still have him there at all. 

Overall I liked this arc, thought it was well done and not too complex to follow like Hindsight and White Lies, and I thought the ending made sense and wrapped things up fairly well. I just want to see Paige gone and more focus on the other members who don't get enough. 

Share Post

1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

I do have to wonder though, now that Flynn and Sharon are officially married, how will Flynn still be able to work in Major Crimes? It just seems ridiculous that they would allow Sharon to still be Flynn's boss now that they are married, even if they are both very professional.

There's no rule against it in the LAPD, it's the same as it has been since they first got involved - the relationship is disclosed to their superior, who can reassign either or both of them if it actually causes problems, but there's no automatic transfer because there's no assumption the relationship is per se a problem.  There is some shifting in who does performance evaluations and such, but the parties are allowed to work together - even where one is a superior.  I don't know how long this has been the policy, but back when James Duff started thinking of going down this road, he looked into it to see if it was possible.

And there has always been a level between them - she's the commanding officer, but Provenza is his direct supervisor.  It speaks to how hard it is to draw these lines, that it's perfectly fine for his best friend of many years to fill that role, but merely dating meant she had to disclose.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

I suspected the doctor the first time I saw him.  Just a feeling when he made a comment about the kid's diabetes.

I was holding my breath while Sharon was walking down the aisle afraid she'd collapse before getting to the altar.  Thank goodness the show didn't go into melodrama and played it straight.

I was a bit surprised by her dress.  But the it was nice.  Loved seeing Julio's foster son as ring bearer.

Share Post

Well that's five hours give or take a few minutes of my life I won't get back. Major disappointment for a story line for me that never seemed to make sense or one I enjoyed after many years and episodes that kept me interested.

But hey that's just me. I know a lot of you enjoyed it.

I can only hope the rest of the final season improves.

Share Post

12 minutes ago, watch2much said:

Loved seeing Julio's foster son as ring bearer.

It was cute, and fit the "They really are a family, aren't they?" theme, but it also made Nicole's absence even more glaring.  If Andy is taking his step-grandsons' love of swimming into account when looking at houses, those boys are in his/their life enough that they'd be the logical choices for ring bearers.  But the actor playing Nicole shoots in Chicago, they'd never cast the boys while we'd come to know Mark -- it's obvious why they went the route they did, but it was distracting.  TV weddings always are, though - all the characters we know, even if they're shoehorned in, some noticeable absences of people who'd be there in the real world, and a bunch of random extras.

Share Post

On 11/29/2017 at 10:53 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

And brides started to wear white because Queen Victoria did. It has nothing to do with the bride's virginity.

I love learning this. For more little wedding facts, see CSI's "Roshomama" episode. Not just informative but funny.

Edited by CoderLady.

Share Post

On 11/28/2017 at 9:51 PM, PinkRibbons said:

And yeah, I found it weird to see Sharon in white and a veil. I think that's a step too far for someone so traditionalist. Loved the singer, had no idea she was MM's daughter, but I have to say the choice of song was very odd. They changed the lyrics but I still think of Bernadette Peters' definitive performance and that is so not a wedding song:

Seriously!  That song was completely strange. I had never heard it before, but I was catching a bit of the lyrics while watching and was puzzled.  I looked the lyrics up and posted them here below. They are definitely not what you'd have sung at your wedding:

"Not a day goes by, not a single day.
But you're somewhere a part of my life.
And it looks like you'll stay, as the days go by.
I keep thinking when does it end?
Where's the day I'll have started forgetting?
But I just go on - thinking and sweating, and cursing and crying, and turning and reaching,
and waking and dying, and no, not a day goes by!
Not a blessed day!
But you're still somehow part of my life.
And you won't go away!
So there's hell to pay, and until I die, I'll die day after day after day, after day, after day after day after day
Til the days go by, Til the days go by, Til the days go by...."

So - was this some sort of inside joke or something?

Share Post

On ‎28‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 10:10 PM, Bastet said:

But was Patrice the maid of honor?  Or just lined up with Provenza?  Because wouldn't Emily be the maid of honor, but Patrice was closest to Sharon and the one to whom she handed her bouquet.

Pretty sure Patrice was the maid of honor as the other bridesmaid didn't have the little flower pinned to their dress, did they?

Share Post

I do have to add:  Dawnn Lewis was a freaking knockout in the bridesmaids dress.

Share Post

I am completely in love with this show and I hope that it finds another home. Having said that, I would have preferred to see Sharon in a suit as opposed to a wedding dress. I did like seeing all of her squad in attendance.

Share Post

On November 29, 2017 at 6:55 PM, Desperately Random said:

Are you saying that smart people don't make dumb decisions? Because if you are, then I couldn't disagree more.  His being a smart and successful doctor doesn't make him immune from exercising bad judgement.  Smart people make bad choices and have dumb ideas all the time.

Sorry, I should have worded it differently. I just thought that it was unbelievable that a successful Doctor who is used to doing a lot of long term planning (taking the right undergraduate courses to get into medical school, getting through medical school and residency, setting up a successful practice, etc.) wouldn't consider that offing his lover's son would have a lot of bad consequences. But, now that I've typed all that, yeah, I guess I can also see how he might have sacrificed so much that he believed he deserved whatever he wanted, and his success could have made him arrogant enough to think he could both avoid getting caught and make up for the loss of a son. But with 5 frickin' episodes, I think they should've spelled that out in the end. 

21 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

The only loose end I wanted tied up was with Father Jonas, so he wasn't having an affair with any of the moms? What exactly was he doing in Mexico? And he really had no involvement in the case which was a bit anti climatic. 

I'm not surprised at all Marvin Garrett was a red herring, but I would've liked to have known what happened to him, I hope the asshole got locked up. 

And yes, again, with 5 frickin' episodes they should have been able to tie up these loose ends.

Now I'm imagining the show writers and runners really resented being told to do multi-episode arcs, and did them poorly, which resulted in cancellation. Maybe not, but…

Share Post

Not a fan of the 5 episode arcs. I fully admit that I've had a lot going on in my real life and can't pay as close attention as I should, but after 5 episodes and i STILL can't remember which family is which, which kid goes with which parents. which has what backstory... and I'm not alone. So that's some pretty poor writing, directing or something right there.

Or maybe I just don't care enough about the actual case because I watch for the squad. I never even watched The Closer, but I watch the show for moments like "SKY BOX TICKETS???????" (the one Closer episode I've watched). I watch for moments between Flynn and Provenza and between various other members. I watch to figure out if I do my makeup like Sykes, could I even begin to be that stunningly gorgeous! I watch to see them snark on Tao for his tv-show gig. The more complicated and front-&-center the case of the week becomes, the less I enjoy the episode. I have ZERO interest in continuing story lines because I really JUST DON"T CARE about the characters in the case. Five episodes isn't going to make me care more. They are a backdrop to the real stories and relationships. The best use of the characters in this case was the scene of the reveal of "I like white women". The way the squad waited with bated breath and reacted was priceless.

I DON"T watch for yet another annoying addition to the cast...  really.. WHY?????  WHY add someone at this stage? They're already cancelled... ratings are irrelevant. Who are they trying to draw into the viewing audience when the current fans want to see more of the existing cast while they can? Are they fishing for spin-off ideas and they need new blood for it later in the season?

However, as much as I love the characters, the wedding scene was over the top for me. For someone who seemed unconcerned about whether the case would interfere with the wedding and how she didn't need to rehearse, the dress was just incongruous. For one thing.. when did she have time to shop for that thing? And two... maybe she should have shopped longer. It didn't seem at all "her" to me. She didn't have to go full on matronly or business suit, but that particular dress and veil and stuff just seemed all wrong on her for more reasons than I need to list because people will either agree with me or disagree.

Count me as one who thought the resolution was lame. The logic is that trying to kill the father and the kid would raise suspicions, but that kidnapping THREE rowdy teenage boys, somehow getting them out of the country without anyone at the border noticing THREE UNCONSCIOUS teenagers, arranging a frame-up for drugs (which meant that the doc was traveling around mexico with drugs himself to plant.. not a great idea), getting back INTO the country unnoticed, lucking into the unlikely-hood that EVERYONE associated with these kids could have a motive, ... what could possibly go wrong?

Nah... totally unbelievable. Easier to arrange for the one kid to have some sort of accident, overdose, whatever, and then to arrange for the druggy father to overdose in despair. Or pretty much easier to do practically ANYTHING other than the convoluted scenario. And wait... wasn't one of the kids the one who initiated the hooky from the museum with some grand adventure? Did they explain how the doctor convinced whichever kid it was to do it and talk the other 2 into it? What was the connection between the doctor and the kid who involved the other 2 kids that got the whole scheme off the ground at all?

Too many red-herrings with too little follow-up. Like they realized "Oops! This is a FIVE episode arc, not 6! We gotta wrap this up!" Why was young priest in Mexico? Was I supposed to be suspicious of older priest for the entire time or were they just throwing so much crap at the wall seeing what would stick that I assumed he was under suspicion as well and kept waiting for his evil to come to light just to devastate Sharon right before the wedding?

As for the professional issue of Sharon and Andy on the job. My guess is that this diagnosis for Sharon (not to mention Andy's own problems) is going to be a reason for at least one of them to retire by the end of the season.

Edited by slothgirl.

Share Post

On 11/28/2017 at 11:11 PM, Bastet said:

Bridesmaids: Patrice, Hobbs, Sykes, Emily

Groomsmen: Provenza, Tao, Sanchez,  Nolan, Buzz, Ricky

Ringbearer(s): Mark and Rusty

Share Post

12 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Bridesmaids: Patrice, Hobbs, Sykes, Emily

Groomsmen: Provenza, Tao, Sanchez,  Nolan, Buzz, Ricky

Ringbearer(s): Mark and Rusty

So I can't even blame an obsession with symmetry (something I'd understand despite its silliness, mind you) for Wes being one of the groomsmen.  He hasn't been around long, and the whole point of his early run with the squad was that he didn't know how to function as part of a team after so long undercover; there's nothing in general or specifically to indicate he'd grown close enough to be made part of the wedding party along with the rest of the squad, unless Sharon and Andy felt bad at the time they would have asked everyone else but him.  So adding him to the wedding party feels forced, and the "family" discussion between Cami and Mason would have read even better between her and Nolan, and kept Wes in the pews where he belonged.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

19 hours ago, Casually Observant said:

Seriously!  That song was completely strange. I had never heard it before, but I was catching a bit of the lyrics while watching and was puzzled.  I looked the lyrics up and posted them here below. They are definitely not what you'd have sung at your wedding

Olivia addressed this in the latest What Would Sharon Raydor Do? podcast.  The song was James Duff’s choice, and upon receiving the title, she - as a big Sondheim fan - recognized it, as most people who know it do, especially since it was made famous by Bernadette Peters, as the upsetting, negative (yet beautiful, but still – not wedding appropriate) song from Act I.  She was very much like, “Did he send me the right thing, what with the death and getting out of my head stuff?” and took that concern to a producer before even talking to her mom, and the producer said, “Hmm, that doesn't sound right; let me get back to you.”  In the interim, she brought it up with Mary, and Mary said, well, James Duff is very counter-intuitive, so let’s figure out what he’s going for here and how you should play this.  

While they were hashing that out, director Patrick Duffy went to Duff and said he had no idea how to make this song work as a wedding song.  Duff was confused, so Duffy played it for him, and Duff said, “No, that’s the wrong version” and came back with the other, hopeful, celebratory version with the same melody that takes place later in the play (but earlier in time, since it’s told in reverse, from when they were in love).  So Olivia went from, “Okay, I’m going to figure out a way to make this work as a wedding song, but I don’t get it,” to “Oh, okay – totally different lyrics.  That makes my job a lot easier,” and Duff was kind of “How would anyone think this is what I’d choose for a wedding?” but, yo, most people are going to make the logical connection and thus think you’ve lost your mind.

And Mary talked about how maybe the tinge of melancholy that remains by use of the song can work in a way, because of everything that is going on with Sharon.

So, yeah, James Duff made an odd choice that everyone involved shook their heads and tried to figure out how to deal with.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

Not sure if this is the final season but if it's not I hope the shows producers stop these 5 episode arcs. I watch this show for the characters and for whatever reason the single show story lines seem to highlight that dynamic a lot more than the longer storylines.

Share Post