S06.E04: Sanctuary City: Part Four 2017.11.21

The investigation continues into the disappearance of the St Joseph Three, their relationship with an overly protective priest and the possible theory that two of the boys are killers.

Share Post

A much better episode than the last.  Ready for this arc to come to a conclusion... I'm genuinely curious how it will all be wrapped up.  Father Jonas and Mr. Garza's medical partner look like they're both involved somehow. 

Share Post

If you're wondering what that strange noise was you heard as we came back from commercial break, it was me yelling, "I don't care about the case right now, go back to Sharon's diagnosis!"  Yes, I have a problem.  Sometimes I get really attached to characters, and I have loved Sharon Raydor since her second episode of The Closer (quite frankly, I rather liked her in her first, even though she was straight-up antagonist then).

Cardiomyopathy is what killed Barbara Hershey in Beaches, heh.  It's a good diagnosis when you think your show is ending, but it might be coming back, but your star whose contract is up may be ready to move on regardless - Sharon can continue on, or she can decide to retire.

Andy tearing up when Sharon said she wanted to postpone the wedding until they knew what they were dealing with was moving.  Even having gone through Andy's heart attack, and her being fully committed to "in sickness and in health," it seems so natural to me for Sharon to want to give him that out.  And for him not to want it.  That was, what, the second scene we have ever seen of them as a couple - not at or about work, not with or about Rusty, just them and their relationship - and it was lovely.  About damn time.  Great work by both actors.

Poor Andy, having to wait to find out, though.  I completely relate to taking my own time to process things before sharing, but she's been on the other side of this and knows how much he's worrying. 

Using it to guilt Rusty into accepting a security detail was masterful. 

Nitpick:  How did Sharon hit her head when she fainted, given how many people were right there reaching for her?  And how did she already have so many flowers in her hospital room?

Provenza realizing Rusty had bought the line that all those heart tests were routine, and backtracking on his worry, capped off with, "Don't worry about it, because I've had all those tests myself, and look at me" was cute.  Reminiscent of him telling Andy, "I take 20 pills a day with three glasses of wine, and look how healthy I am."

Sharon's face when Rusty said, "The rules, Mom, the rules" was absolutely everything; I cannot wait to watch it again.  And her face when the doctor told her there's something wrong with her was perfect, capturing that moment suspended in time when your mind is spinning, trying to focus on the "good outcome" part, but freaking out at what "caught it early" implies.

Sharon and Andy matching is a continual source of amusement to me (I know other characters do, too, but they've been the most obvious, and well before they got together), and it might be at its apogee here - the pattern of his tie is just a smaller version of that of her blouse.

Okay, the case. 

I still have no idea who's responsible for what death, and I am not complaining about that.  I have easily followed along with every development, as they've been smoothly laid on top of one another, and if once the case is resolved I don't look back and see they cheated somewhere, I'll be incredibly happy with this arc and applaud them for working out the multi-episode kinks.

Sanchez goading Father Jonas about his vows was fun, as was Andy piling on:  "Right this way, your somewhat-holiness."

Provenza continuing Sharon's rage against the FBI only got better when he went off on Mason in Mason's office.  And I love Tao's "Don't ask the impossible" when Mason asked Provenza if he was done complaining.

Amy comforting Provenza in the background after she and Mason led him away from raging at the FBI agents was really nice.  If someone had told him six years ago that he'd care about Sharon Raydor like this, he'd have had quite the comment for them.

Provenza frantically trying to make the electronic screen go away when the parents came in was also fun.

Yay, Dr. Joe!  "Have you ever seen a cop in a sweater vest?"  Between his conversation with Ryan, and Ryan wanting Father Jonas - who knows he's gay - rather than his parents - who don't - saying they don't know what he's gone through, I wonder if Ryan's sexual orientation was brought up last week because it's somehow relevant (via his crush on Miguel?  His bio dad's abuse?  I don't know).

"Anything suggesting hate crimes?"
"That depends on how you interpret 'Get out of my country' spray-painted on your door."

Hobbs's "Happy to be thrown under the bus if it helps" was cute.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

^^^this 

I think Miguel’s Mom is our suspect... if she’s the Mom that does all the screaming( i can’t keep them all straight). 

Share Post

14 minutes ago, Bastet said:

If you're wondering what that strange noise was you heard as we came back from commercial break, it was me yelling, "I don't care about the case right now, go back to Sharon's diagnosis!"  Yes, I have a problem.  Sometimes I get really attached to characters, and I have loved Sharon Raydor since her second episode of The Closer (quite frankly, I rather liked her in her first, even though she was straight-up antagonist then).

Cardiomyopathy is what killed Barbara Hershey in Beaches, heh.  It's a good diagnosis when you think your show is ending, but it might be coming back, but your star whose contract is up may be ready to move on regardless - she can keep going, or she can decide to retire.

Andy tearing up when Sharon said she wanted to postpone the wedding until they knew what they were dealing with was moving.  Even having gone through Andy's heart attack, and her being fully committed to "in sickness and in health," it seems so natural to me for Sharon to want to give him that out.  And for him not to want it.  That was one of only a few scenes we have ever seen of them as a couple - not at or about work, not with or about Rusty, just them and their relationship - and it was lovely.  About damn time.  Great work by both actors.

Poor Andy, having to wait to find out, though.  I completely relate to taking my own time to process things before sharing, but she's been on the other side of this and knows how much he's worrying. 

Nitpick:  How did Sharon hit her head when she fainted, given how many people were right there reaching for her?  And how did she already have so many flowers in her room?

Provenza realizing Rusty had bought the line that all those tests were routine, and backtracking on his worry, capped off with, "Don't worry about, because I've had all those tests myself, and look at me" was cute.  Reminiscent of him telling a not wanting to take blood pressure meds Andy he takes 20 pills a day with three glasses of wine, and look how healthy he is.

Sharon's face when Rusty said, "The rules, Mom, the rules" was absolutely everything; I cannot wait to watch it again.  Her face when the doctor told her there's something wrong with her was perfect, capturing that moment suspended in time when your mind is spinning, trying to focus on the "good outcome" part, but freaking out at what "caught it early" implies.

Sharon and Andy matching is a continual source of amusement to me (I know other characters do, too, but they've been the most obvious, and well before they got together), and it might be at its apogee here - his tie and her blouse are incredibly similar.

Okay, the case. 

I still have no idea who did what, and I am not complaining about that.  I have followed along with every development, as they've been smoothly laid on top of one another, and if once the case is resolved I don't look back and see they cheated somewhere, I'll be incredibly happy with this arc.

Sanchez goading Father Jonas about his vows was fun, as was Andy piling on:  "Right this way, your somewhat-holiness."

Provenza continuing Sharon's rage against the FBI only got better when he went off on Mason. 

"Are you done complaining?"
"Don't ask the impossible."

Amy comforting him in the background after she and Mason led him away was really nice.  If someone had told him six years ago that he'd care about Sharon Raydor like this, he'd have had quite the comment.

Provenza frantically trying to make the electronic screen go away when the parents came in was fun.

Yay, Dr. Joe!  "Have you ever seen a cop in a sweater vest?"  Between his conversation with Ryan, and Ryan wanting Father Jonas - who knows he's gay - rather than his parents - who don't - saying they don't know what he's gone through, makes me wonder if his sexual orientation was brought up last week because it's somehow relevant.

"That depends on how you interpret 'Get out of my country' spray-painted on your door."

Cannot wait to have the chance to watch this episode!  Currently at the house of the child who doesn't have regular TV.  Good for the young kids, but bad for me.

And I so know that moment when a doctor says something that just freezes time for a few minutes - I'll never forget my 28-year-old self staring slack-jawed at the oncologist telling me it was good news, just Hodgkins Disease, we can fix that, as the world both stopped and spun around at the same time.  I had a 16-month-old son (same one I'm staying with now), and they said it was unlikely I'd be able to have any more.  My daughter was born just 5 years later, so life marched on.  She was a great 5-year remission gift.  

I hope Sharon's diagnosis will be easier to deal with than cardiomyopathy, but when they're looking at winding the series up -- who knows?  A way to have her have to retire?  But they had better not have her die the way Battlestar Galactica killed her character off.  That would not be forgivable.

Share Post

I'm glad they didn't drag out the medical reveal. I felt bad for Andy that she kept delaying their talk, I really worried she'd lie about it. Glad Sharon was truthful with both Andy and Rusty. In retrospect I don't know why I worried, that's not really in Sharon or the show's character.

The scene where Rusty was like "the rules Mom, the rules" was adorable and Sharon's reaction was perfect.

I enjoyed Provenza throwing the FBI out of their Murder Room. I also loved the follow up scene with Provenza giving the Chief grief.

Paige is starting to get to me.  However. I do like the rest of the squad pretty much rolling their eyes at her. I hope she's not around after this mini-arc wraps up. I also noticed she has a substantial resting bitch face, its very distracting.

I have no idea how this wraps up but. It feels like they're too many balls in the air to have a satisfactory ending next week.

Share Post

45 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I think Miguel’s Mom is our suspect... if she’s the Mom that does all the screaming( i can’t keep them all straight).

Miguel's mom is one half of the undocumented immigrant couple, the ones who have a house-flipping business and a million dollars in cash stashed in their closet; they're the neighbors of the racist website guy.  She's played by the actor who played a crime scene tech on SVU (and was on, I think, 24, per another poster).

Ryan's mom is the single mom, whose ex-husband (Ryan's dad) is involved with a drug-running gang, whose second husband who was abusive to Ryan and fell (or "fell") off the balcony, and who was involved with Father Casanova.  She's the one of the three who isn't well off (following the second husband's death).  I'm not familiar with the actor.

Lucas (the dead kid)'s mom is the wife of the drug-addicted doctor who was found dead at the end of the episode.  She's played by the actor who played Gina on NYPD Blue.

27 minutes ago, Calamity Jane said:

I hope Sharon's diagnosis will be easier to deal with than cardiomyopathy,

It is cardiomyopathy, but they caught it very early and don't yet know what it's going to involve in the future; she could be one of the people who dies with it, rather than from it, or who needs intensive treatment.  I feel very sure they will not kill her off; this just gives them the freedom to say she's retiring if they want to go that route.

26 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Paige is starting to get to me.  However. I do like the rest of the squad pretty much rolling their eyes at her. I hope she's not around after this mini-arc wraps up.

No, she's around for the whole season.

Sharon's face when Rusty said, "The rules, Mom, the rules" was absolutely everything; I cannot wait to watch it again.  Her face when the doctor told her there's something wrong with her was perfect, capturing that moment suspended in time when your mind is spinning, trying to focus on the "good outcome" part, but freaking out at what "caught it early" implies.

Quoting myself to say I'm distractedly watching the re-airing, but focused for that scene, and guffawed just as loudly at her "Yeah, yeah - bugger off" face at Rusty as I did when I didn't know it was coming, and marveled just as much at her reaction to the doctor's words.  Such a perfect capture of those swirling feelings.

I also made sure to re-watch the Sharon/Andy scene in their bedroom, and was wowed again.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It is cardiomyopathy, but they caught it very early and don't yet know what it's going to involve in the future; she could be one of the people who dies with it, rather than from it, or who needs intensive treatment.  I feel very sure they will not kill her off; this just gives them the freedom to say she's retiring if they want to go that route.

Oh, thank you for straightening me out on that - read too fast, I guess.  That's a tough one, but almost anything is easier to deal with early on rather than later.  

Share Post

So Bastet... is it Miguel’s Mom that is doing all the screaming and yelling? The one that was screaming at her own newly returned son early in the episode?  

Share Post

2 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

So Bastet... is it Miguel’s Mom that is doing all the screaming and yelling? The one that was screaming at her own newly returned son early in the episode?

I don't remember screaming, but it sounds like you're thinking of Ryan's mom; she and Lucas's mom have been the most volatile.  The one who was by herself with the kid, questioning his version of events, and then the dad (with the bandaged nose) came in, saying the kid should get an attorney?  That's Ryan's mom.

Share Post

That’s what I first thought, but then she seemed more caring after his visit with Dr Joe. So I thought maybe I was confused.  I’m doing ok at keeping the deadbeat Dad, the druggie doctor Dad, and the third Dad straight. It’s just the Moms that I keep getting mixed up. 

Share Post

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Cardiomyopathy is what killed Barbara Hershey in Beaches, heh.  It's a good diagnosis when you think your show is ending, but it might be coming back, but your star whose contract is up may be ready to move on regardless - she can keep going, or she can decide to retire.

Andy tearing up when Sharon said she wanted to postpone the wedding until they knew what they were dealing with was moving.  Even having gone through Andy's heart attack, and her being fully committed to "in sickness and in health," it seems so natural to me for Sharon to want to give him that out.  And for him not to want it.  That was one of only a few scenes we have ever seen of them as a couple - not at or about work, not with or about Rusty, just them and their relationship - and it was lovely.  About damn time.  Great work by both actors.

Nitpick:  How did Sharon hit her head when she fainted, given how many people were right there reaching for her?  And how did she already have so many flowers in her room?

Provenza realizing Rusty had bought the line that all those heart tests were routine, and backtracking on his worry, capped off with, "Don't worry about it, because I've had all those tests myself, and look at me" was cute.  Reminiscent of him telling a not wanting to take blood pressure meds Andy he takes 20 pills a day with three glasses of wine, and look how healthy he is.

Sharon and Andy matching is a continual source of amusement to me (I know other characters do, too, but they've been the most obvious, and well before they got together), and it might be at its apogee here - the pattern of his tie is just a smaller version of that of her blouse.

Okay, the case. 

I still have no idea who's responsible for what death, and I am not complaining about that.  I have easily followed along with every development, as they've been smoothly laid on top of one another, and if once the case is resolved I don't look back and see they cheated somewhere, I'll be incredibly happy with this arc and applaud them for working out the multi-episode kinks.

Provenza continuing Sharon's rage against the FBI only got better when he went off on Mason. 

"Are you done complaining?"
"Don't ask the impossible."

Amy comforting Provenza in the background after she and Mason led him away was really nice.  If someone had told him six years ago that he'd care about Sharon Raydor like this, he'd have had quite the comment.

Provenza frantically trying to make the electronic screen go away when the parents came in was also fun.

Yay, Dr. Joe!  "Have you ever seen a cop in a sweater vest?"  Between his conversation with Ryan, and Ryan wanting Father Jonas - who knows he's gay - rather than his parents - who don't - saying they don't know what he's gone through, makes me wonder if Ryan's sexual orientation was brought up last week because it's somehow relevant (via his crush on Miguel?  His bio dad's abuse?  I don't know.

ALL. OF. THIS. thank you for saving me the time to write it! and for saying all of it better!

that poor ortho nurse is going to be very disappointed when she realizes the other doctor is a baddie. (right? I mean, that's glaringly clear, yes? Am i reading into it??)

Father What a Waste sure isn't helping his case with the indignant "are you going to talk to me like that?" Um - you FLED, big guy. We get to be snarky about it.

I felt bad for OxyMom that they forced her to read the autopsy just to rile her up at Doctor Oxy. Boo.

Share Post

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Heh. Sharon and I must've got our mothering cues from the same playbook.

But I kind of resent the writers using those tactics on the audience in the form of threatening Rusty (arguably the least liked character) with losing his mom to heart disease.

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

"Have you ever seen a cop in a sweater vest?"

Yeah, cute, and good point, but don't forget you're in a police station.

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Loved the delivery.

34 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I’m doing ok at keeping the deadbeat Dad, the druggie doctor Dad, and the third Dad straight. It’s just the Moms that I keep getting mixed up. 

Yeah, the moms' characters aren't very distinctive.

Share Post

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Yeah, the moms' characters aren't very distinctive.

I honestly can't tell them apart, they're interchangeable to me.

For a minute, I thought they were going to tell Sharon she was pregnant, I'm glad it isn't something that requires major surgery.

Share Post

3 hours ago, betsyboo said:

that poor ortho nurse is going to be very disappointed when she realizes the other doctor is a baddie. (right? I mean, that's glaringly clear, yes? Am i reading into it??)

I don't think you are.  They made a point to focus on the new detective (Paige?) looking around the waiting room noticing the portraits of the athletes.  So, something is going on there and I assume it has to do with the one dr realizing that the other had relapsed and decided to do something to protect what is clearly a lucrative practice focused on professional athletes.  Now, I don't know that is all that is going here and maybe it's a red herring (he killed the partner doctor, when he figured out he was using again) but what happened with the boys is a separate crime?

Share Post

I didn't know I could love Provenza more than I already do.

And I've thought this since the first episode, Sharon's gonna leave the church and get married in Vegas by a Elvis impersonator. Alright, maybe not the last part but we've seen her slowly grow disillusioned with the church and now with the problems with the priests I can see her stepping back from the church

Share Post

I think when I saw Sanctuary City was going to be in five parts that I immediately went to the Freytag Pyramid that, among other things, describes the structure of any Shakespeare play (well, at least any of the ones I studied in school), so my viewing was pre-formatted to that.  I'm not frustrated.  I've been re-watching the previous episode right before each new one, and it has been helpful.  

Share Post

Thankfully not one mention of Stroh.

Loved Provenza - that is all.

The Andy/Sharon scene was terrific.

Share Post

20 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

That’s what I first thought, but then she seemed more caring after his visit with Dr Joe.

I think when she first saw Ryan, her fear and confusion was manifesting itself as anger.  By the time she saw him the second time, she'd had some time to think, and the cops came in to tell her Ryan needed her.  Ryan was upset by that point, so she focused on comforting him rather than demanding answers.

16 hours ago, pennben said:

They made a point to focus on the new detective (Paige?) looking around the waiting room noticing the portraits of the athletes.  So, something is going on there and I assume it has to do with the one dr realizing that the other had relapsed and decided to do something to protect what is clearly a lucrative practice focused on professional athletes.  Now, I don't know that is all that is going here and maybe it's a red herring (he killed the partner doctor, when he figured out he was using again) but what happened with the boys is a separate crime?

My guess is it's separate, but who knows; I definitely think he had something to do with the doctor dad's death, though.

9 hours ago, mammaM said:

And I've thought this since the first episode, Sharon's gonna leave the church and get married in Vegas by a Elvis impersonator. Alright, maybe not the last part but we've seen her slowly grow disillusioned with the church and now with the problems with the priests I can see her stepping back from the church

Spoiler

They get married in that church (or one that looks just like it, so I'm assuming it's St. Joe's), so her priest must come out of this case relatively unscathed.

Share Post

Another good episode, this storyline has been very enjoyable and the best of the multi part storylines. 

I don't think that Ryan and Miguel are telling the truth about the situation, they are definitely hiding stuff, but I also don't think they are the main culprits, I think there is someone else who is responsible. I'm suspicious of both Dr Garza's partner and the nurse, and now that Garza has been found dead in his office under suspicious circumstances I think that one or both of them may not only be responsible for his death but also be involved in the case of the missing boys. I'm also wondering if someone involved has a tie to the cartel and the death of Ryan's stepfather, Father Jonas perhaps. I don't think the racist neighbor has anything to do with it but his daughter may still know something, I could see one of the boys confiding something about their plan to her. Also I could see one of the parents being involved, I suspicious of Ryan's mom who is sleeping with Father Jonas. 

Provenza was awesome like always, he's been great throughout this storyline. Loved him berating the FBI and going off on Mason. 

Don't like Sharon's health scare, it seems like a cheap drama ploy that this show is usually above, but I did like the scene between Flynn and Sharon and I thought Flynn and Rusty were both very good in this episode. Flynn doesn't get enough material now, he's been sidelined as a detective for a long time so it's nice to see him get material and I think the Flynn-Sharon romance has been done very well, usually I hate hookups between main charcaters but with Flynn and Sharon it has been well done, it's developed naturally, it hasn't overshadowed the cases at all and it hasn't resulted in either character being unprofessional or OOC. 

I'm sick of Paige though, she adds absolutely nothing to the show, she's over the top, annoying and the actress is weak as well. She's also taking away screen time from Sanchez, Tao, Sykes and Nolan, Sanchez has had some good moments since his return but I'm still wanting more from him, he's been one of my favorites for a long time and I would like to know more about what happened to his mom and how he's reacting, I feel like they are missing an opportunity and I would rather them focus some on that than give Sharon a pointless health scare.  Tao, Nolan and especially Sykes seem to have been shoved to the back for now, please give them more. 

I'm afraid there are too many people in the squad now. Nolan joining was a great addition that added an interesting new character to the team and also gave them a 5th member for the field since Flynn has been sidelined but Paige adds nothing, she is an irritating character and she takes away screen time. Stupid decision to add her. 

I liked seeing Dr Joe again, I've always enjoyed his appearances, and it was a nice surprise to get a Dr Morales appearance, I thought he would only be in 1 episode since there were no more autopsies but I was glad to see him. Why wasn't Kendall there at the end though, he's always there when they have a body? 

Im looking forward to seeing how this storyline concludes but I've been very pleased so far.

Share Post

Sigh. I'm so outnumbered but I HATE this story arc. It's so boring and I can't wait for it to end. Also, I can't stand the new girl. The actress sucks and the way she moves her face is so odd to me. 

Share Post

I have to say this up top:  The kid who plays Ryan is great.

Just top Sharon's Cylon stem cells off, she'll be fine.

I gotta disagree with Dr. Morales.  I'm pretty sure Chloroform actually is an irritant.  And it stinks to high heaven.

Share Post

I am so going to miss this show.  It's the little things that really grab me.  Like when Rusty was talking about Gus RSVP to the wedding was before the split and probably won't come, Andy says "he choose the salmon".  

The characters are what make the show and I love all the regulars.  there's a comfort watching them every week.  It's idiotic to cancel this show.

Share Post

On 11/23/2017 at 5:24 PM, MdMaxx said:

Sigh. I'm so outnumbered but I HATE this story arc. It's so boring and I can't wait for it to end. Also, I can't stand the new girl. The actress sucks and the way she moves her face is so odd to me. 

We may be outnumbered but I’m right there with you.  I can’t believe there is more to this arc and I absolutely hate the new girl.  I look forward to the remaining episodes once this mess is over.

Share Post

43 minutes ago, Happytobehere said:

look forward to the remaining episodes once this mess is over.

But it's just another arc, right? *sigh* 

[shapeshifter wanders off humming: Look what they've done to my song, Ma / Look what they've done to my sooo ng / It was turning out all right and now it's all wrong / Look what they've done to my song.]

Share Post

35 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But it's just another arc, right?

Yes.  There is one more part to Sanctuary City, then the four-part Conspiracy Theory, followed by the final <sob> installment, By Any Means, which is also four episodes.

Share Post

For the first time since Provenza has been on The Closer and now Major Crimes he was a complete jerk.

I'm ready for this story line to be over.

Share Post

3 hours ago, CaptainCranky said:

For the first time since Provenza has been on The Closer and now Major Crimes he was a complete jerk.

I'm ready for this story line to be over.

How was Provenza a complete jerk? 

Share Post

6 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

How was Provenza a complete jerk? 

Butting in on conversations, stupid comments about the case and not at all acting like the person in charge while Sharon was gone.

Share Post

On 11/21/2017 at 11:01 PM, mythoughtis said:

That’s what I first thought, but then she seemed more caring after his visit with Dr Joe. So I thought maybe I was confused.  I’m doing ok at keeping the deadbeat Dad, the druggie doctor Dad, and the third Dad straight. It’s just the Moms that I keep getting mixed up. 

I do OK with the dads, too. But overall, I've had some difficulty remembering who's who. And it doesn't help that we're talking about 15-year old boys who were off screen for most of the first couple of episodes. It's not like there's a husband, a mom, etc. who ran off. I think that's been the most confusing.  But I have some tips to help me remember. 

Share Post

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:44 PM, LisaM said:

Thankfully not one mention of Stroh.

But they mentioned heart transplant as a possible cure for Sharon - so I'm thinking they kill Stroh and Sharon gets his heart!

Share Post

On 11/25/2017 at 8:57 AM, watch2much said:

It's idiotic to cancel this show.

^^^ A thousand times.  There are many shows that, by now, have run their course and you are ready or beyond ready for them to end (I quit watching Criminal Minds several seasons ago).  I don't feel that way about Major Crimes.

Share Post

6 hours ago, bkathi said:

But they mentioned heart transplant as a possible cure for Sharon - so I'm thinking they kill Stroh and Sharon gets his heart!

LOL! They would frickin' have to end the series after something like that!

Share Post

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

LOL! They would frickin' have to end the series after something like that!

Heh.  I think we can rest easy - at this early stage, it would take the disease a lot longer than between now and January to progress to the point she needed a transplant.

Share Post

On 11/25/2017 at 3:32 PM, Happytobehere said:

We may be outnumbered but I’m right there with you.  I can’t believe there is more to this arc and I absolutely hate the new girl.  I look forward to the remaining episodes once this mess is over.

Well, I don't know why.  I really like this story arc!  There are all kinds of dynamics at work:  so many suspects, illegal drugs, oxy addiction, crazy redneck neighbors, illegal immigrant issues, domestic abuse, suspected coverups by the Catholic church, infidelity and murder(s). What's not to like?  Plus, the always good acting by familiar characters we love.

I can't wait to see how it all comes together neatly at the end.  

Re: Rusty. I like Rusty! I think he is great. He loves Sharon and the team, who gave him a home and a family he can always depend on. His tortured life was thoroughly saved by Sharon and the entire office who 'like a village' helped raise him to be their surrogate son. He has become a fine young man.  I have hope for his future, but worry about the evil Phillip Stroh who is lurking just out of sight...

Re: The New Girl - I like her. She's a little bit of a cocky smart-ass, but she's quite intelligent and is picking up cues and details  that the older detectives are missing or didn't think were important.  I think she's a really good addition to the cast. She does have resting B*tch face, but only when she is annoyed at the B.S. going on around her.

Share Post

On 11/27/2017 at 1:31 PM, love2lovebadtv said:

I do OK with the dads, too. But overall, I've had some difficulty remembering who's who. And it doesn't help that we're talking about 15-year old boys who were off screen for most of the first couple of episodes. It's not like there's a husband, a mom, etc. who ran off. I think that's been the most confusing.  But I have some tips to help me remember. 

Yes, I think that's what the problem is--it's not like we saw the boys with their parents in the first episode. Or that we spent much time with the boys at all to learn their names, so that when they're talking about "Ryan's mom" it's immediately clear who that is. It's like you have to be like, "Wait, which one is Ryan? And which is his mom?" Then...I also have the whole "face blindness" issue, where I have trouble recognizing people/remembering faces. So I tend to have trouble with TV shows/movies (let alone in real life...like if there's 3 blonde waitresses, I can't remember which one is ours, unless I pay superclose attention.) I felt so much better when Gene Weingarten of the Washington Post wrote about having it--I was like, "That's what's wrong with me!"

Share Post

Third time watching it, and I still can't get over how great the scene between Sharon and Andy in their bedroom is.  The way Andy tears up and says, "I don't need a second" is possibly the single best thing Tony Denison has done in the 13 years he's played Andy.  And I love Sharon's reaction when he wonders whether wanting to postpone the wedding is really because she's changed her mind about them.  The actors have had so little to work with in developing this relationship, and boy did they knock it out of the park once they finally got some meat to chew on. 

Sharon responding to Andy's reminder she's supposed to be resting by protesting that she's at home, and sitting down, is entertaining - and then she has to go email Provenza her idea before she'll settle down.  They picked a good disease if they want to set up the possibility of ending things with her retirement, because she'll never be able to do the job in a way that's less stressful and demanding, so if that becomes an issue she'd have to walk away.

Something I didn't think of last week:  Did Sharon really just erase Rusty's Googling of her condition and then forget she had his phone in her hand, or did she do something to his phone (activate a tracking function or something)?

For a brief moment during this second viewing of the case (I just re-watched Sharon's personal scenes previously), I felt like I was on the cusp of putting it together, but it never came to me.  Lucas's father's practice has to be a big part of this, but I can't figure out what.  There's a lot of pressure on the concluding episode, because everything has been set up so well it's going to be incredibly disappointing if the resolution doesn't make sense or is a big letdown.

Share Post

3 hours ago, MarylandGirl said:

Yes, I think that's what the problem is--it's not like we saw the boys with their parents in the first episode. Or that we spent much time with the boys at all to learn their names, so that when they're talking about "Ryan's mom" it's immediately clear who that is. It's like you have to be like, "Wait, which one is Ryan? And which is his mom?" Then...I also have the whole "face blindness" issue, where I have trouble recognizing people/remembering faces. So I tend to have trouble with TV shows/movies (let alone in real life...like if there's 3 blonde waitresses, I can't remember which one is ours, unless I pay superclose attention.) I felt so much better when Gene Weingarten of the Washington Post wrote about having it--I was like, "That's what's wrong with me!"

Hey Maryland Girl - if you didn't already know, your facial blindness is called Prosopagnosia.  It can be caused by a brain injury or be inherited. My daughter has it. I noticed it in her at about 18 months of age. She had no injury of any sort and had been carefully raised and breast fed.  But, she couldn't recognize the faces of her relatives when I was showing her pictures and teaching her the members' names.  I had stayed home with her until about age 2, then went back to work.  When she was about 2 or 3 years old, while in a public setting with other parents and their children, she would go to other ladies standing near me and say, "Momma?" I was horrified. I didn't understand how she could not know who her mother was!   I decided right then to quit work and take care of her full-time again.  Over the years, I  carefully tutored her after school and enrolled her in many kinds of lessons to strengthen her body and brain, but the condition barely improved.  Once high-speed internet became available, I researched it and learned more about it. I realized over many years that the condition is found on my husband's side in varying capacities. Some of them acted rude and dismissive towards strangers or other parents, but now I know they just didn't recognize the people and were unsure who they were talking to.  Ironically, I on the other hand have a very acute ability to recognize faces, even scoring in the highest percentile in the FBI facial recognition tests.

My daughter who is now in her mid-20's thinks she is learning coping methods to help her brain do a work-around as she has increased her ability slightly. Unfortunately, she works in Hollywood and needs to know who all these celebrities are on first sight and she is unable to do that.  She is also terrible about directions and math.  She cannot get by without her GPS.  Do you find you have problems with either of those things, too?  

Share Post

On 11/21/2017 at 10:05 PM, Bastet said:

And how did she already have so many flowers in her hospital room?

The peonies were beautiful, but there were so many bouquets, it was ridiculous.  Everybody in the squad would have needed to take a break from the case to phone the florist.

On 11/21/2017 at 10:41 PM, Bastet said:

Ryan's mom is the single mom, whose ex-husband (Ryan's dad) is involved with a drug-running gang, whose second husband who was abusive to Ryan and fell (or "fell") off the balcony, and who was involved with Father Casanova.  She's the one of the three who isn't well off (following the second husband's death). 

The second husband, who fell from the balcony, was with the cartel, was abusive to Ryan.  and was probably the owner of the cartel bracelet found in Ryan's locker. Ryan's dad doesn't pay child support and has a second family who don't know about Ryan.

Share Post

8 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

The peonies were beautiful, but there were so many bouquets, it was ridiculous.  Everybody in the squad would have needed to take a break from the case to phone the florist.

Although she started as the Internal Affairs, Force Investigation outsider they pivoted and made Commander Raydor a city insider with friends in the DA and local judiciary. Falling inside the PAB in the presence of a Deputy Chief the entire department's  family care  and chaplaincy protocols would have known and the local police family other departments as well as LAPD not just her squad sized division would react.

Share Post

I didn't have a problem with the idea there are that many people who'd send her flowers, I had a problem with that many people sending her flowers in such a short a period of time.  If she'd been hospitalized for a week, I wouldn't have thought anything of her accumulating that many flowers. 

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

I've meant to say this for a while but keep forgetting to... When Sharon and Andy talk about Sharon's illness in their bedroom and Andy says that he's never told Sharon this, I was totally expecting him to tell her about the letter. I had hoped he would, too.

Share Post

Andy tearing up when Sharon said she wanted to postpone the wedding until they knew what they were dealing with was moving.  Even having gone through Andy's heart attack, and her being fully committed to "in sickness and in health," it seems so natural to me for Sharon to want to give him that out.  And for him not to want it.  That was, what, the second scene we have ever seen of them as a couple - not at or about work, not with or about Rusty, just them and their relationship - and it was lovely.  About damn time.  Great work by both actors.

That was a great scene.  I can see why she fell for Andy - he's really a pretty sweet guy at heart.  And on a shallow note, Sharon's nightgown/robe ensemble was gorgeous.  Not that I would expect anything less.

On 11/28/2017 at 8:59 PM, Bastet said:

that was awesome.  Her facial expressions during that exchange were great.  'Yes, I am manipulating you.  Yes, I'm shameless.'  Heh.

Sharon's face when Rusty said, "The rules, Mom, the rules" was absolutely everything; I cannot wait to watch it again. 

Yes, I loved that "oh shut up" look.  :)  I was also amused by Provenza's expressions when the doctor threw them out "Esteemed colleagues are leaving...." (Provenza deflates and looks offended)..."kids are leaving, unmarried partners are leaving" (Andy flashes his badge) "want me to hold that for you while you wait outside?" (Provenza snickers)

On 11/28/2017 at 8:59 PM, Bastet said:

Something I didn't think of last week:  Did Sharon really just erase Rusty's Googling of her condition and then forget she had his phone in her hand, or did she do something to his phone (activate a tracking function or something)?

She did something to that phone.  They made too much of a thing of it for it not to mean something.

No one else mentioned it, but to me Provenza's temper tantrum moment at the FBI agents seemed a little over the top.  I get they were angry, I get he was worried about Sharon, but actually throwing the box of files?  Just seemed a little too much.  Just me?

Edited by kilda.

Share Post