S29.E07: Singin' in the Lane 2017.11.19

Episode Description:

Homer and the guys reunite their old bowling team to cheer up Moe, only to end up in fierce competition with a team of arrogant millionaires. Meanwhile, Lisa and Marge try to teach Bart that money isn't everything.

Here's the preview:

Share Post

Hey, someone besides me managed to make the thread! Thank you.

Intro: Underwater! This was cool.

Chalkboard: We Do Not Live in Our Own Pee 

Couch Gag: Flanders catching them in a lobster trap. Funny.

Homer arguing with his brain (and Marge knowing it) will never not be funny.

Heh, an episode about reforming the Pin Pals, and they even justify why the lineup's different this time. I loved all the new teams, but none of them will ever beat The Stereotypes (although the team made up of mascots came close). I was shocked that they beat the Holy Rollers (Maude must've been the lynchpin of the team). I need to see that tournament bracket, I caught a few good names.

Bart was great in this one. Becoming a Mini Patrick Bateman is something this show hadn't done to him in a while. Lisa's whole scheme was pretty underwhelming.

The tenth frame is totally the frame where you look for your shoes. It's really creepy to know that Moe catfished Barney (and of course Barney never noticed).

We haven't seen the Frank Nelson "Yeeessss Guy" in a while. He was funny.

Share Post

The title card called the intro 'The Shrimpsons', but no character appears to be an actual shrimp.

Fish-Bart rides a stingray out of the classroom, past Fish-Willie playing a squid as a bagpipe as a decesed Fish-Barney is consumed by smaller fish.  Fish-Lenny is changing the sign from 3 to 2 days until Global Warming, Mr. Burns is a crab, Fish-Patty and Fish-Selma are carrying cartons of Chesterfish cigarettes, Fish-Otto is an Anglerfish (who eats his own lure), Fish-Sideshow Bob is a swordfish, Apu is an octopus as are all 8 of his children, Fish-comic Book Guy is a pufferfish, and Fish-Crazy Catlady is surrounded by catfish.  Of course Krusty is a clownfish, the Sea Captain is a MerMan with Fish-Milhouse dead on the end of his trident, and Hans Moleman is a clam.  As Fish-Marge and Fish-Maggie ride a sea turtle, we see Fish-Grampa as a skeleton stuck on a hook attached to the sea turtle.

When Burns calls Homer about basketball tickets and says Homer is at the top of his list, the list actually consisted of several thousand illegible names before picking up at Brandine Spuckler, Luigi Risotto, Duffman, Doris Freedman, Cookie Kwan, Benjamin Doug, Gary, Akira, Artie Ziff, Arthur Grandall, Gerald Sampson, Bill and Monty, Birch Barlow, Booberella then continuing for a few thousand more names before ending with Rich Texan, Robert Durst, Donald Sterling, Candy Spelling, Donny Deutsch, Frank Stallone, Stephen Baldwin, Keith David, David Keith, Smithers, and, finally, Homer Simpson.

Homer: "Barney, I've got courtside seats."
Barney: "I'm in. Who's on trial ?"

Love that the name of one of the bowling teams was "Selma's Exes"
Team Sidekicks consisted of Milhouse, Sideshow Mel, Lou, and Smithers -- and they were all removed from the bowling lane by who they were sidekick to (Wiggum: "Ok sidekicks, back in our shadows").

A Dodgeball reference -- Moe says that if they win the State Finals in Capital City, the next tournament is on ESPN 8 (ESPN 8 is referred to as the Ocho in the movie 'Dodgeball').

Bart: "I finally found my path in life -- socio."

Lisa: "Bart, You don't want to be with these guys.  They're monsters."
Bart: "Hey, their 401Ks are monsters."
Lisa: "Do you even know what a 401K is ?"
Bart: "I assume it's a gun."

Spiderpig spotted on the outside of the Bowling at the Lanes building, doing things that a spider can -- like slinging webs.

The Throughbred's Choice Kentucky Bourbon bottle had a picture of a horse guzzling a bottle of booze.
Barney commanding the $1000 a shot bourbon to return to him after spitting it out was Jedi-like awesome, followed by what sounded like a Wookiee call.

Seen on the sign atop the Bowling at the Lanes building: The Hateful 8-Year-Old -- directed by Quentin Tarantino.
Lisa and her team of Quants slow-walked to confront the hedge fund guys a la Reservoir Dogs.

We get the Wilhelm scream from Changstein after Lisa reveals that he didn't get the sport package for his BMW.

I liked that at the last minute Moe thought he would have a better life if he lost because everyone gets a second chance.  And the even the name of the boat he took to France in his vision was called 'La Deuxieme Chance'.

Lenny was right -- there was a lot of music in this episode, but you had to like Thin Lizzy playing during the bowling tournament in Springfield.

Overall, a pretty solid episode.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver.

Share Post

13 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

A Dodgeball reference -- Moe says that if they win the State Finals in Capital City, the next tournament is on ESPN 8 (ESPN 8 is referred to as the Ocho in the movie 'Dodgeball').

Yep, caught that, too.

13 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Love that the name of one of the bowling teams was "Selma's Exes"

Yeah, I wanted to see that one.

Share Post

Full Bowling Tournament brackets were:

Left side                         Right Side

Pin Pals                          Strike Captains
vs.                                  vs.
Rollin' Oldies                 The Kingpins

Balls of Death                Selma's Exes
The Sidekicks                 The Legitimate Businessmen

The Bracket Fillers          One and Dones
vs.                                   vs.
Up Your Alley!                The Pin Strike Suits

Holy Rollers                   All Fall Down
Are They Reals ?            Oh Spare Me!

Rollin' Oldies team consisted of: Jasper Beardly, Abe Simpson, Old Jewish Man (his bowling shirt said OJM), and Hans Moleman
Are They Reals team consisted of: The Grumple, the Leprechaun, Cheesy McMayor, and what looks like a red minotaur.
Selma's Exes were partially shown: Sideshow Bob, Disco Stu and Fit Tony.
One and Dones were tough to identify -- one guy wearing a bell-shaped hat, one guy wearing a WW1 German helmet, one guy wearing a Top Hat and maybe a white bow tie, and a guy sitting down with brown hair -- I got nothing.

Ruff -- the beer for dogs

Banner outside Moe's Tavern: Moe's -- Don't Look Us Up on Yelp

The last names of the Fund Bunch were: Reynolds, Chang-stein, Beef-nut, and Bagel-man.

Lenny: "Is that a Viza double diamond card"
Hedge Fund guy: "Yep, doesn't have to be inserted or swiped.  It just knows."
Lenny: "Wow !"
<electrical zapping sound as Carl tries to touch the Viza card>
Hedge Fund guy: "It can sense that you're poor."

At dinner, the Hedge Fund guys were initially served bald eagle's head, rhino head, giraffe head and unicorn head.
Reynolds: "Once again, they substitute rhino for narwhal. It's like they think we won't notice."

The paintings on the wall above the pins in Capital City were bowling versions of famous paintings by Warhol and Seurat (A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte).

Edited by ottoDbusdriver.

Share Post

5 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

One and Dones were tough to idnetify -- one guy wearing a bell-shaped hat, one guy wearing a WW1 German helmet, one guy wearing a Top Hat and maybe a white bow tie, and a guy sitting down with brown hair -- I got nothing.

From what I recall, Bell-hat guy was Senor Ding-Dong, WWI German Helmet Guy was probably the one guy who attended Burns's side at Burns & Mrs. Bouvier's wedding. I'd need to see a still to see them.

Share Post

11 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

From what I recall, Bell-hat guy was Senor Ding-Dong, WWI German Helmet Guy was probably the one guy who attended Burns's side at Burns & Mrs. Bouvier's wedding. I'd need to see a still to see them.

Yep, I think you're right that that's Senor Ding Dong -- though I've only ever remembered seeing him as seen from the front.

Share Post