Season Two: Perfecting the Mindfucking Technique!

On 3/12/2017 at 1:09 AM, WendyCR72 said:
On 3/10/2017 at 6:45 PM, Xeliou66 said:

One thing that I remember reading about that episode that I always found interesting is that the 2 actors who played Stan and Roger had played father and son in a movie 20 years before, I wonder if the casting was intentional. 

No kidding? Do you know the name of the movie?

Breaking Away.  Classic.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078902/

Share Post

"Baggage" and "Suite Sorrow" were on USA in the dead of night (couldn't sleep). I have already said how much I liked the whole "Alex, Queen of Sheba" and "Bob the Shipping Magnate" scene in "Baggage" and the exchange between Alex and the woman in that waiting room for the Botox shots in "Suite Sorrow". (Still do!)

But - and I can never figure this out - did Hal Linden's character off the wife? Is that why Goren wanted Julie to confront her father? (Which, naturally, backfired.) The perp on that episode always seemed never properly spelled out there, to me.

Share Post

In Suite Sorrow, the daughter offed the wife, the dad manipulated and played her to get her to do it. That much was pretty clear to me. The daughter was emotionally unstable and the dad used that to upset her enough to off the wife, the daughter realized what he had done and killed him at the end. 

Share Post

Breaking Away!  There it was bikes, here it was cars.

Edited by Maherjunkie.

Share Post

"Dead" is airing at 1:00 a.m. with creepy Harry Rowan! The "evil twin" to Captain Joe Hannah's "good twin". Jim Gaffigan did wimpy mortuary cousin well, though. And, like Sanders, he would pop up again in "Smile" as one of the FDA people during the investigation of the counterfeit poison mouthwash in S7.

I could swear I have also seen the actress who played Susan Rowan elsewhere but can't place her.

All I know is, if I found out hubby was putting dead bodies in the family freezer, I'd let him rot and swing over to Home Depot ASAP so the ice cream doesn't taste like eau de corpse!

Share Post

As most everyone knows, I hate Nicole. But even I'll admit "Anti-Thesis", her intro, was a good episode. Who knew it would just be the first of many scrapes she'd walk away from?

And I still love the shoe store scene with G/E as the yuppie couple. That's one thing I do like about the Mothership's offshoots: They got to use humor every now and then.

Share Post

On 4/16/2017 at 3:09 PM, WendyCR72 said:

As most everyone knows, I hate Nicole. But even I'll admit "Anti-Thesis", her intro, was a good episode. Who knew it would just be the first of many scrapes she'd walk away from?

It was a good episode and a nice change of pace having the perp get away with it. My problem with the character was overuse. I don't think Goren needed a Moriarty, but if they wanted to go that way they should have kept it to maybe 3 appearances and avoided diminishing returns.

And I still love the shoe store scene with G/E as the yuppie couple. That's one thing I do like about the Mothership's offshoots: They got to use humor every now and then.

The Mothership wasn't without humor. Besides all of the wisecracks there were the occasional witnesses and perps whose antics provided comic relief. And many of the openers were little comedic gems where they played NYC stereotypes for laughs until they discovered the body. And sometimes even after...

Share Post

1 hour ago, wknt3 said:

The Mothership wasn't without humor. Besides all of the wisecracks there were the occasional witnesses and perps whose antics provided comic relief. And many of the openers were little comedic gems where they played NYC stereotypes for laughs until they discovered the body. And sometimes even after...

Seriously! Even from its pilot, "Prescription for Death," when the defense attorney is being an ASSHOLE, and keeps asking isn't it possible x,y or z could have killed the victim to the Coroner, played by the wonderful Daniel Benzali. Benzali's response NEVER fails to make me 😂😂😂when he says "It's possible that Death Rays from Mars could have killed her, but I don't think so."

OH SNAP!!!!

Share Post

I agree, the mothership had a lot of small, humorous dialogue between characters, Briscoe and Schiff especially had great lines. I actually think CI has the least amount of humor of the L&O shows, SVU had plenty of humor with Munch, Fin and now Barba but CI never had all that much, it was always very plot driven and serious, not a whole lot of humorous parts. Sometimes there were humorous situations with Goren's antics and unusual behavior and some Goren and Eames interviews were pretty humorous, Carver and Deakins had some good lines as well, I think that the show became a lot less humorous after season 5, it already had the least humor of any of the L&O's but after season 5 it became very soapy and more depressing with the endless personal crap and the asshole Ross replacing Deakins

Share Post

On 4/17/2017 at 7:06 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Seriously! Even from its pilot, "Prescription for Death," when the defense attorney is being an ASSHOLE, and keeps asking isn't it possible x,y or z could have killed the victim to the Coroner, played by the wonderful Daniel Benzali. Benzali's response NEVER fails to make me 😂😂😂when he says "It's possible that Death Rays from Mars could have killed her, but I don't think so."

OH SNAP!!!!

That was Daniel Benzali? How the hell did I never connect that? Aren't I stupid... (I wonder if Rodgers appeared because Benzali had another gig?) As for the Mothership, I'll concede Lennie was King of The One-Liner. (God, I miss Jerry Orbach!) But I think all 3 franchise shows had a ratio of lots of sturm und drang for every crumb of comedy.

In terms of latter CI, it was darker. But I found "Vanishing Act" in S7 a nice change of pace and liked "Depths" from that season, too. They stand out since the majority was on the darker side, at least to me.

Share Post

Yeah CI was darker, there were some funny moments but overall it was the darkest L&O show with its focus on the psyche and motives of the killers. L&O and SVU had more funny lines form characters, CI never really had that, it's humor was more of Goren's antics and behaviors and some funny interviews between suspects/witnesses and Goren and Eames. Deakins and Carver sometimes added humorous moments to lighten the darkness of the show, that's one reason why when they left the show became much worse. The show became a complete soap opera in season 6, and there was no humor, and that's one reason season 9 was so bad was the characters were so flat and had no personality. Season 10 seemed to be a return to the quality of 1-5, I wish it hadn't been canceled when it finally became strong again. 

Share Post

Speaking of S2, WE is in that season during the late-night airings. "Malignant" was on last night among the episodes, and I still feel so sorry for the old guy who assisted his wife in her suicide with the cancer drugs because Halliwell tampered with them and she ended up becoming terminal when she may have lived if she got the correct dosage. I did like that G/E did some fancy side stepping in working that case so the guy didn't end up in prison himself.

(I know the actress, Deirdre Lovejoy, who played his wife, Penny, returned in S8 as an FBI agent in "Revolution". And, most notably, was Heather Taffett/The Gravedigger on Bones.)

Share Post

I agree, I felt really sorry for that old man as well, I was glad they were able to keep him out of prison. 

That episode was very interesting, as it started out looking like something totally different with the shooting of the truck drivers and the robbery, and then it turned into the scam with Halliwell diluting the drugs. Halliwell was a phony, weak scumbag and I also hated the reverend of the church, he was a greedy piece of shit and if it wasn't for him I don't think Halliwell would've done what he did. 

Share Post

The wife was no prize either.  I love it when Bobby sets off the sprinkers.

Share Post

Agreed, Halliwell's wife was a bitch as well. Not many likable characters in that episode. There were some great Goren moments in that episode, such as when he climbed into the backyard ring and the sprinkler scene. 

Share Post

21 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Agreed, Halliwell's wife was a bitch as well. Not many likable characters in that episode. There were some great Goren moments in that episode, such as when he climbed into the backyard ring and the sprinkler scene. 

I liked both of the scenes you mentioned, too. Goren seemed inordinately happy about "The Flying Helicopter" wrestling move. Also liked the scene where Alex pretended to need help with grabbing something from a high shelf at the pharmacy before she and Goren arrested that kid for stealing some of the medication. Just the way he was grabbed, thrown down, and cuffed just seemed like bing, bang, boom there.

But I did like the way he and Eames seemed to tread lightly with the widower, as I said. I will say the guy at that nursing home stealing medicine may have been wrong in the legal sense, but as Alex said, it wasn't immoral. Just too bad that batch of medication just caused more harm.

Share Post

On 4/19/2017 at 10:50 PM, Maherjunkie said:

The wife was no prize either.  I love it when Bobby sets off the sprinkers.

Oh, she was a bitch. But then I'm used to that from this actress elsewhere, so...  :-)  She must be typecast. LOL! I did like, when Bobby first jumped on that counter to check the sprinkler, how Eames was so blasé about it. "Oh, he does this all the time..."

Share Post

The whole thing with Nicole passing herself off as a professor in "Anti-Thesis" reminds me of a real news story a few years back where a teen posed as a doctor! Much more disturbing when it happens in real life!

But I wonder if ol' Nicole's students got their credit once it was revealed that she was a fraud?  :-P  Yes, I wonder about the strangest things. I know.

Share Post

2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

But I wonder if ol' Nicole's students got their credit once it was revealed that she was a fraud?  :-P  Yes, I wonder about the strangest things. I know.

It was revealed during the semester IIRC? Before grades were done? Haven't seen it in some time. If so they would probably bring in another faculty member to review any work and records and do the final grades. They would most likely be told off the record not to lower grades if it was at all defensible in order to avoid potential litigation. They would do an investigation with a very long report nobody reads and additional red tape added to the hiring process to verify credentials. This reminds me of a conversation I had when I worked at a university with one of our lawyers wondering just how large and how busy the General Counsel's office at Hudson University was with all the internal investigations and wrongful death lawsuits...

Share Post

On 5/2/2017 at 6:53 PM, wknt3 said:

This reminds me of a conversation I had when I worked at a university with one of our lawyers wondering just how large and how busy the General Counsel's office at Hudson University was with all the internal investigations and wrongful death lawsuits...

Hee. I once said Hudson University was a portal to hell. Between all 3 shows, I strongly still believe that. Nicole being a faux professor makes it somehow fitting.

Share Post

I re-watched Person of Interest the other day, and a couple of things struck me that either I had forgotten or didn't realize the first time watching.  Firstly, I love seeing the subtle, but clear ways Eames disagrees with Goren, KE did SO MUCH with her reaction shots to Goren going further off track.  Even when he stubbornly starts to insist Croyden fit the profile, I love her choice of just quietly but firmly telling Bobby he didn't listen. She doesn't even say that he was wrong or that he screwed up, but rather that he didn't listen. And the turmoil in Goren after she leaves the room?  Oof.  He was wrong, he let himself be blinded and prejudiced, he let down Eames and the squad and he still doesn't quite get WHAT actually happened.

Which brings up Nicole. What was neat was that I actually forgot this was a Nicole episode and so, despite the hints that SOMETHING more was going on, nothing clicked into place until she showed up at the restaurant, and then it's "ah ha! Of course, it was Nicole."  Most other shows would go overboard, making it SO clear who's behind it, but I love they didn't do that here. Even Goren hasn't clued into Nicole being responsible until she shows up. What I find amusing is that Nicole probably would have gotten away with it. Nobody suspected her, not even a bit.  And then she just HAD to show up at the restaurant and by doing that she reveals her hand and completely screws herself over. 

Finally, I love the team corralling and Deakins/Carver totally being on board. Yay team! The best was Goren admitting to Eames, shamefully, that he was played. In the interrogation room, in the dark, looking at the mirror. He could have told the team, but it's Eames he confesses to, because of course, it is her forgiveness/strength that he needs.  I get the show runners were trying to build up Goren/Nicole as arch rivals, but really they ended up showcasing the awesomeness of Goren/Eames.

Share Post

14 hours ago, Vella said:

Finally, I love the team corralling and Deakins/Carver totally being on board. Yay team! The best was Goren admitting to Eames, shamefully, that he was played. In the interrogation room, in the dark, looking at the mirror. He could have told the team, but it's Eames he confesses to, because of course, it is her forgiveness/strength that he needs.  I get the show runners were trying to build up Goren/Nicole as arch rivals, but really they ended up showcasing the awesomeness of Goren/Eames.

Agreed with all of this. I've made no secret I hate Nicole, but I think that's intentional, so...  :-)  Still, I find the dynamic Goren has with both women fascinating. Nicole is the devil on one shoulder while Eames is the [snarky] angel on the other, and it's fascinating to watch VDO/Bobby fight his dark side when Nicole is afoot and to watch Eames steer Bobby back towards Bobby's version of "normal".

I know the franchise was, by and large, about justice and crime. But this is a big reason why I like CI so much: All the intricate personal symbolism.  :-)

Share Post