Small Talk: Atkins, South Beach, Raw Food, More

The Small Talk topic is for:
•    Introductions
•    Off-topic chatter
•    Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:
1    Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
2    Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
3    If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):
•    Character topics
•    Episode topics
•    Season topics
•    Spoiler topics
•    Speculation topics
•    In the Media topics
•    Favourite X topics
•    ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Share Post

Anyone here ever go to their high school reunion?

Was the reunion better or worse than expected?

Share Post

This really does seem like I am talking to myself.

In any case,  very recently I was shown some pictures from one recent high school reunion.   High school was horrible the first time around, I saw no need to voluntarily revisit the situation.  In any case, my observations.

Even after all of these years later, people tend to form into the same old groups/cliques that they were in, in high school.

Even though less than 20% of my high school class showed up for the reunion, the Queen Bee of our class still thinks that it was the bestest high school class on the planet.  She never did learn to walk in someone else's shoes.

Lastly, people really do need to avoid dying their hair jet black.    That color makes them look desperate and much older than they really are.

Share Post

I only went to my reunion about 30 years ago. Never kept up with anybody so I never went back. I was never a popular but I did fine within my little awkward group. I flew below everyone's radar and it suited my shy personality.

Share Post

Thank you for responding.

From what I was told, there were only about 35 classmates that have shown up to each of the last two reunions.  I do wonder how low the attendance has to get before they decide to stop having them.  Hiring a band for such a small crowd along with providing food isn't cheap.  I do know that there were a lot of classmates available to attend that chose not to go.  I suppose it shouldn't be any great surprise that the most popular people continue to show up.

Edited by icemiser69.

Share Post

Sorry I didn't see this until now. I didn't go to the class reunion but saw the photos on line... it was shocking how some people had gained weight and deteriorated. But they seemed mostly pretty happy. 

Not 100% sure what we are supposed to talk bout in here but I was hoping we could take-up the issues that we kind of can't in the thread. Such as... 

• Being treated poorly due to being overweight.
  • Fatty chasers and other scary such men 
  • great guys who are interested in woman of all sizes... 
  • why is obesity such an issue... it can't just be self control because it wasn't an issue 30 years back and people had the same or less self control. 

Share Post

28 minutes ago, BooBear said:

Not 100% sure what we are supposed to talk bout in here but I was hoping we could take-up the issues that we kind of can't in the thread. Such as... 

• why is obesity such an issue... it can't just be self control because it wasn't an issue 30 years back and people had the same or less self control. 

You can pretty much talk about whatever you want as long as it isn't show related.    I think every show topic has a sub-forum for off topic chatter.  I am surprised this sub-forum isn't more active.

Share Post

2 hours ago, BooBear said:

Sorry I didn't see this until now. I didn't go to the class reunion but saw the photos on line... it was shocking how some people had gained weight and deteriorated. But they seemed mostly pretty happy. 

I think it's the growth of fast food in our weekly diets and those huge sodas. I don't support banning sodas, but I do know that when I was a kid, these monster sizes weren't the norm. Our appetites were satisfied with a lesser amount. The portions of the average fast food meal are too much. If you try to alacarte to lower your portion size you end up paying more, so most will just get the meal deal. If I cooked more, I'm sure I wouldn't be as heavy. 

Lack of movement is a disaster. Sitting all day at work. Crashing on the sofa at home.

Share Post

3 minutes ago, Iguessnot said:

I think it's the growth of fast food in our weekly diets and those huge sodas. I don't support banning sodas, but I do know that when I was a kid, these monster sizes weren't the norm. O

I actually don't drink soda at all never mind eat fast food. But I think you are on to something. Putting aside the issue of something in our food that we don't know about, in the 1990s there was a big "nutrition facts" movement. And when it happened I said the calories per day was too high. I think that has been disastrous. It allowed all food providers to stuff more into portions and make bigger portions. Thus they could buy in bulk and save money.   I also think food providers lie about their calories knowing there will be no enforcement.  

If you are someone who happens to have a slower metabolism... over time, the weight is going to creep on and be harder to lose. Especially if you are out and about and cannot limit your food 100% to food prepared by you.  Even one large calories meal can stop my weight loss for an entire week.  

Share Post

Before the existence of video games, children were a lot more active, and spent most of their time outside,  In these current times, add the internet into the mix, and I can't remember the last time I have seen kids out playing in the neighborhood.  Adults seem to get more exercise walking their dogs than children do.

2 hours ago, BooBear said:

If you are someone who happens to have a slower metabolism... over time, the weight is going to creep on and be harder to lose. Especially if you are out and about and cannot limit your food 100% to food prepared by you.  Even one large calories meal can stop my weight loss for an entire week.

I think anyone who is really watching their weight needs to keep a food journal.  It is amazing how some people are unaware not only of how often they are eating, but also what they are eating.  I am one that has a much slower metabolism.  My best friend growing up could eat an entire sheet cake and would lose weight.  I know I am exaggerating a bit, but some people do really draw the short straw with a slower metabolism and have to work that much harder to stay in shape.  My friend was one of the lucky ones.  Me?  Not so much.

The one thing that helps me out a great deal is that I walk a lot.  I mean a lot.  It helps me in so many ways.  It clears my head, lowers my stress, keeps me in shape, etc.  I also make my own meals.

Edited by icemiser69.

Share Post

14 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I think anyone who is really watching their weight needs to keep a food journal. 

The problem is that you can't really know what you're getting in food. For instance Friday I had to go out with my boss to lunch. We went to a restaurant and I got a salad.  I have zero idea what was in that salad but it is more than possible that the ingredients are over 500. In the past I have taken a food that seemed reasonable and guessed at the calories and had it be a zillion times more than what I guessed.  That can stop progress and yet you would think you were doing good. I have been on a diet before where you just ate the food that was guaranteed to be ok but in the end you can't live in the world and be perfection forever.

Share Post

6 hours ago, BooBear said:

The problem is that you can't really know what you're getting in food. For instance Friday I had to go out with my boss to lunch. We went to a restaurant and I got a salad.  I have zero idea what was in that salad but it is more than possible that the ingredients are over 500. In the past I have taken a food that seemed reasonable and guessed at the calories and had it be a zillion times more than what I guessed.  That can stop progress and yet you would think you were doing good. I have been on a diet before where you just ate the food that was guaranteed to be ok but in the end you can't live in the world and be perfection forever.

Just my opinions....

Diets are about a lifestyle change.  If people feel deprived, chances are they will quit a diet at some point and gain the weight back.

No one can for sure know what they are eating in terms of calories, fat,  etc., when they go out to eat.  Going out to eat once in awhile I don't consider that big of a deal.   However, when those people eat at home and make their own food they have that much more control. 

I am a vegetarian.  I have to be real careful when it comes to eating frozen veggie burgers because of the sodium levels.  If I so much as look as a salt shaker my blood pressure will spike.  The rest of the food that I eat I make from scratch and don't add any salt to it.  I also have to be real careful on how often I eat cheese and I try to limit my carbohydrates to a reasonable degree.

ETA:   As a kid, when I used to get stressed, I would eat unhealthy stuff.  Now when I get stressed, I walk and walk and walk some more.

Edited by icemiser69.

Share Post

We went to a restaurant and I got a salad.  

I know the feeling.  Those big salads at Bob Evans with cheese, bacon, croutons, cranberries, pecans, etc. can be over 1000 calories -- and they're so good, too. 

I started logging calories on My Fitness Pal about ten months ago and it's working pretty well for me -- down 45 pounds -- and we eat out almost every lunch.  Some things, like restaurants, can require more estimating than I like but, oddly enough, the fast food chains make it easy with meals already calculated for us. 

I know some people hate the word diet and prefer "lifestyle change," but what  I hate is the idea of having to change my whole life and prefer to think that I'm only tracking my calories and in all other areas things get to remain the same.

in the end you can't live in the world and be perfection forever.

That's so true and why I don't want to get backed into a place where I'm constantly thinking I should take the stairs instead of the elevator and maybe I should switch to a different oil or I should quit  my book club because the snack's served are outrageous.  I just refuse to let it get to that point these days.  I do my best with the calorie estimations and then forget it.  I was searching for Golden Corral  buffet calories one time on My Fitness Pal and came across this "Buffet, too damn much: 1200 calories."  I laughed and actually started clicking on that one at least once a month. I figure sloppy accounting is better than none at all and I have good days to balance the wild ones.

Share Post

39 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I am a vegetarian.  I have to be real careful when it comes to eating frozen veggie burgers because of the sodium levels.  If I so much as look as a salt shaker my blood pressure will spike.  The rest of the food that I eat I make from scratch and don't add any salt to it.  I also have to be real careful on how often I eat cheese and I try to limit my carbohydrates to a reasonable degree.

Well that probably explains a lot. I have considered it. Actually I recently discovered that veggies, especially raw, have less calories than we are even told due to non digestible parts and also raw food is less available energy than cooked. 

I know some people hate the word diet and prefer "lifestyle change," 

It is probably just my issue but there is a lot about my life that isn't really in my control. I have a full time job and kind of like Plum I know I will never get out of it. Just no one wanting to hire an older pudgier person when there are so many new millennials. So there are large parts of my life that are not able to be changed and not in my control that are always going to make dieting really tough.  At the moment I have decided just to try to lose a small amount every year and keep it off and when I get to retirement (pension) go full throttle on the remainder. Also next year I get more leave time. 

20 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

down 45 pounds -

Congrats. We are all different though.  I have lost the weight a zillion times but what always happens is that too far from my goal I stop losing. My metabolism reduces (you can see it on my blood tests that my thyroid down and my cholesterol goes up) and I can't lose on 900 calories.  One mistake here.. one well meaning friend with a brownie and you aren't losing this month at all. And I have been there a zillion times where a work co worker just cannot believe that ONE brownie is going to hurt you and gets their feelings hurt that you won't eat one. This also reduces the amount you burn on exercise so you aren't burning anything off with 30 minutes in the gym.  I stubbornly stay like that for as long as possible... typically 2 years or so... until something comes up that causes you to go back to eating, just normally, and the weight comes back FAST.  I am happy that I am down about 17 lbs from last year and have more or less kept it off. The goal is just to do a small amount every year and keep it off. 

Share Post

20 hours ago, BooBear said:

Congrats. We are all different though.  I have lost the weight a zillion times but what always happens is that too far from my goal I stop losing. My metabolism reduces (you can see it on my blood tests that my thyroid down and my cholesterol goes up) and I can't lose on 900 calories.  One mistake here.. one well meaning friend with a brownie and you aren't losing this month at all. And I have been there a zillion times where a work co worker just cannot believe that ONE brownie is going to hurt you and gets their feelings hurt that you won't eat one. This also reduces the amount you burn on exercise so you aren't burning anything off with 30 minutes in the gym.  I stubbornly stay like that for as long as possible... typically 2 years or so... until something comes up that causes you to go back to eating, just normally, and the weight comes back FAST.  I am happy that I am down about 17 lbs from last year and have more or less kept it off. The goal is just to do a small amount every year and keep it off. 

Oh, I hope I didn't sound like I was bragging.  My 45 pounds will come back, just like the 60 I lost four years ago and the 50 I lost a half dozen times over the past twenty years.  If you've lost weight and kept it off, you're way ahead of me.

Edited by JudyObscure.

Share Post

4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Just my opinions....

Diets are about a lifestyle change.  If people feel deprived, chances are they will quit a diet at some point and gain the weight back.

No one can for sure know what they are eating in terms of calories, fat,  etc., when they go out to eat.  Going out to eat once in awhile I don't consider that big of a deal.   However, when those people eat at home and make their own food they have that much more control. 

ETA:   As a kid, when I used to get stressed, I would eat unhealthy stuff.  Now when I get stressed, I walk and walk and walk some more.

Costco has a new vegetarian salad which is tasty, but the sodium is out of this world. I love salt but this salad made me feel ill as I was eating it. Even online reviews mention the atrocious salt levels. It's a tasty salad but I can't eat it again. I don't know how quality control approved that level of sodium.

Share Post

Because dietary recommendations how they were taught the last 50 years are bullshit and don't work. In many places you are still being taught to reduce fat and up the carbs.  That will make you feel empty all the time. The other way around is the correct one. Lower the carbs, up the fat and you'll lose weight and keep most of it off.

Given that I am a vegetarian, my problem always has been my carbohydrate intake. 

Share Post

On 7/22/2018 at 5:12 PM, JudyObscure said:

Oh, I hope I didn't sound like I was bragging.  My 45 pounds will come back, just like the 60 I lost four years ago and the 50 I lost a half dozen times over the past twenty years.  If you've lost weight and kept it off, you're way ahead of me.

HA! No you didn't. I am with you though.. I feel like I am on a perpetual diet. 

In the end I think we are going to find out that it is really endlessly complex. I hate when people say things like it is simple eat less and exercise more. It is SIMPLE for you.. but if that worked why wouldn't I try it? Cause I did and it didn't work. I am complex intelligent woman who succeeds beyond her wildest dreams in just about everything I try... (not bragging just facts) except for this. Since the age of 17 I have put enough energy into this to provide energy for a small country and yet.. still not there. I have tried low carb, low fat, gluten free, less calories, Very low calorie supervised diet and last year I traveled thought space to tieback two and still no real answer or solution.  I have lost 50 to 60 lbs at least 10 times and managed to gain it all back. 

But I had two friends die of uterine cancer at 57 and 62 respectively. Both were fat their entire lives ... over 200. Both were not diagnosed early because of various reasons due to poor care due to being large and when I looked it up I saw how uterine cancer is very well known to be due too too much hormones from the fat.  So I trudge on trying the next and the next and the next. It isn't about dating anymore or being popular... it is about survival. 

Share Post

Well, this forum is a heck of a lot more interesting than the show. Lol Count me in as someone whose weight is in a constant state of flux. The thinnest I ever was as an adult was 119 (due to stress) and the heaviest was 200. Now I weigh 180. A few years ago I was 165. Who knows what my ideal weight is supposed to be. I would be more than happy to get back to 165. That was the magic weight that made my acid reflux disappear.

So here's my story. Years ago, I gained a substantial amount of weight. I was always starving. I would eat a big breakfast so I would make it to lunch, then eat a big lunch so I would make it till dinner. But I would still wind up snacking. So for a period of about 3 years I was gaining about a pound of month. Couldn't figure out what was going on. Then I happened to overhear a conversation about how the prescription allergy medication I was on (for the past 3 years), Hismanal, could cause weight gain. (Later it was taken off the market as it could cause "rare cases of cardiovascular events". Yikes!) Who would have thought that an allergy medication could cause appetite increase (or heart attacks)?  I sure didn't. Apparently my allergist didn't think to mention it to me either. So I stopped it. My appetite went back to normal, and the weight started to come off. But only about half of it. My metabolism had changed. My body knew it was shrinking and it was going to do everything it could to make sure I didn't starve to death. Lol  Sounds strange but that's often how the body reacts to weight loss.

Last year, I started a medication for psoriatic arthritis - Methotrexate. Same thing started to happen. I went from 175 to 185 within 6 months. I blamed myself. Didn't occur to me that it was one of the side-effects of the medication. Turns out it was. When my doctor switched the medication my appetite decreased. But, again, I only lost half of what I gained. Of course, there are other factors that play a role in my weight. (My workplace has so many co-workers who walk around randomly offering sweets that it feels like Halloween everyday.) But just knowing how those two medications affected my appetite has made me aware that the causes of weight gain can come from unexpected places.

Anyway, as a result of this constant yo-yo-ing, I am a voracious reader of weight related news articles. It is very complicated. Here's an article I found to be quite interesting: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

Share Post

6 hours ago, Mannahatta said:

Anyway, as a result of this constant yo-yo-ing, I am a voracious reader of weight related news articles. It is very complicated. Here's an article I found to be quite interesting: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

Me too. I also had a large weight gain leading to almost all my troubles. When I was a kid I skated professionally so I did a ton of exercise all week and my eating was controlled by my mother. Not in a bad way I was just dependent on her for food. Then I went to college and ate what the other kids did and stopped skating and gained 40 lbs. Never have lost it. My suspicion is that dieting itself is wrong. The approach to dieting right now is to lose it all at once which makes your body slow down about 20 lbs before goal.. then you are trapped with a super low metabolism so when you eat again... you gain weight fast. This doesn't happen to people who don't have a ton of weight to lose - because they are never dieting long enough to slow the metabolism.  So the way to lose weight really is to lose like 20 lbs... stop for a long time 20 more lbs stop for a long time... so your body never adjusts. 

Share Post

I can only mention my personal experiences with weight loss.  I won't give out dieting advice.  IMO, giving out dieting advice is a really bad idea.  No one knows anyone's medical history.  IMO, people need to talk with their doctors when it comes to weight loss issues.

Share Post

Obesity is quite complex, however, based on my experience and research, the formula for weight loss isn't. I found that if I journal my food and eat the correct amount of calories for my body, I will either lose weight or maintain. That's the physical part.  Then, I have to deal with the mental.  To me, that's where it gets more complicated.  

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 10 years ago and take medication to keep it at a good level. I am also Type I diabetic and take 2 kinds of insulin, which is seriously known to cause weight gain, however, if I eat right, I'll still lose or maintain, according to the calories that I consume.   I don't plan on activity making that much of a difference in my weight loss, since, even if I ran for 30 minutes straight, I wouldn't burn much more than 300 calories.  I know that exercise is great for overall fitness, but, it's the calorie intake that is the main factor.  

I have been thin, average size and overweight in my adulthood. Having to be aware, concerned and focused on food intake is a pain in the ass, imo, but, it's something that I have to do, if I want to feel good in my skin.  After years of study, medical intervention (I've done Fenfen, Atkins, etc.) I have concluded that I have a different relationship with food than the person who does not have weight issues. So, a little over a year ago, I decided to change that relationship, make peace and get off the crazy diet train. No more obsessing. I've trying to live at peace with food and myself, but, taking responsibility for my own health and body.  The weight loss has been great, but, the best part is the stress that I took off myself.  

I had heard the term, "life style change' so many times, but, it never sunk in.  One day, I finally got it. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe.

Share Post

I know that the place I have to exercise the most self-control is in the supermarket. I don't normally eat ice cream but when I do  - I'm like a crack addict on a binge. I'm sure all the pleasure centers of my brain are lit. I've come to the sad realization that there are certain foods that I just can't buy because I'm incapable of eating them in moderation. Plus it doesn't help that I do a lot of my shopping at Costco where all the food containers are supersized. Also, a lot of processed food in general tends to trigger my appetite but not leave me satisfied. Anyway, I've gotten a lot better at being able to look at certain foods in the grocery aisles, acknowledge that I have no control over eating them, and then visualize my inevitable feelings of remorse. LOL

Share Post

5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I have been thin, average size and overweight in my adulthood. Having to be aware, concerned and focused on food intake is a pain in the ass, imo, but, it's something that I have to do, if I want to feel good in my skin.  After years of study, medical intervention (I've done Fenfen, Atkins, etc.) I have concluded that I have a different relationship with food than the person who does not have weight issues. So, a little over a year ago, I decided to change that relationship, make peace and get off the crazy diet train. No more obsessing. I've trying to live at peace with food and myself, but, taking responsibility for my own health and body.  The weight loss has been great, but, the best part is the stress that I took off myself.  

I never look at a diet as a failure... I look it as one step closer to figuring out what the issue is. I suspect that potentially we all have to learn what our bodies do and what we have to do to keep thin. I kind of wish I had been more attuned as a child / teen.  Some people don't have much of an issue with weight gain but it still might be a good thing for people to take time to learn what their bodies do.   But I just don't think I am ever going to be thin. At this point I would take 5 lbs over normal weight. 

Share Post

I'm not that focused on thin either. I just want to continue to see my blood pressure remain good, good A1C levels, less stress on joints and feet, better endurance, and just the light way you feel when you can skip, dance, run and play in a body that feels great and not one that holds you back.  I like the way I feel energetic and positive. But, I have to say that I do like it when I can just throw on my clothes that are sexy, cute, etc.  I like it when I feel confident and physically fit.   And, I like the male attention.  I feel that's okay. 

Share Post

Hi all, in my on going search I finally found something that seemed to make sense. Read the "obesity code". I don't agree with everything Dr. Fung says but this is the most promising program I have seen in a while. 

Share Post

@BooBear, after your post, I looked him up on YouTube and listened to him talk about the two "compartments," for our calories explaining why simple calories in/ calories out dieting doesn't work.  Basically, I think,  he's saying that in order to get out bodies to use the calories stored in our body fat as fuel, rather than only the food in our stomach,  we need to fast.  I love intermittent fasting. I've been doing it for  a year now and lost 52 pounds.  I've lost that  weight on other plans in the past, but the difference this time is I'm not nearly as hungry all the time.

Share Post