Jump to content

S06.E02: Sanctuary City: Part Two 2017.11.07

While the search for the missing boys continues the squad deals with an untrustworthy priest, and angry ex-husband and threats from the FBI.  Rusty surprises Flynn and Sharon with an unusual request.

0

Share Post


Link to post

I want to watch this again to help me properly digest developments, but I continue to enjoy the story's unveiling.  The round robin with the three sets of parents was very well done - acted, shot, and edited.  Sharon trading on her relationship with the church to get cooperation, and her growing discontentment with her priest, was as well.  And the various theories of the crime - especially Andrea's reaction to how all of them are credible enough to create reasonable doubt for whomever they wind up prosecuting - were interesting.  So far, so good.

Sharon putting Mason on the spot in front of the FBI was a nice moment, especially following her pleased reaction to him telling them she was in charge of the joint task force, or it was a no-go.  I look forward to seeing that dynamic unfold.

Andrea telling Rusty she didn't like him back in the day cracked me up, especially when she said she dislikes all teenagers; in the podcast with Mary McDonnell and Kathe Mazur, they discussed how Kathe and James Duff had agreed early on that Andrea hates kids.  No wonder I like her.  I can do without Rusty Beck, Junior Detective and his investigative map, though.  Not to mention his concealed carry permit (which I don't think anyone should have), but I liked the scene at the shooting range; at least he acknowledged he could only hit Stroh if he was standing perfectly still.  Dude can't even wait for Sharon to put ear protectors on; he should possess a gun?

Moments that stood out:

- Dr. Garza was straight-up creepy talking about how they'd autopsied Lucas when his wife was so freaked out by it (and I love the shot of her crying with snot running out of her nose).  He's suspicious, but so are a lot of them (including the disappearing priest, who looked pretty cozy hugging Ryan's mom), which is what makes things interesting.

- Provenza's "Thanks for nothing" to the Jesus on the wall made me laugh out loud.

- I continue to love the parodies of the various media outlets, particularly the Fox News assholes.

- I also loved the way everyone stared at Paige when she interrupted Sharon, and that Sharon was sarcastic about it rather than dressing her down then and there.

- Who are these random FBI agents?  Where's Morris?  Sharon's reactions to them are enjoyable, though.  It helps that I'm completely on her side when it comes to how local law enforcement should interact with undocumented immigrants.

- Something I meant to note re. Lucas last week - Mason calls him a Type A diabetic, but I've always heard it as Type 1.

-"Ever hear of money laundering?"
  "Ever hear of house flipping?"

- Provenza poking the FBI agent resting her hand on his chair, hee.  I also chuckled at his "federal tax" on printer pages.

- I loved Tao pointing out Mr. Un-hypenated Nation doesn't seem to have a problem with "Irish-American" or "Italian-American."

Edited by Bastet.
10

Share Post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

 

Andrea telling Rusty she didn't like him back in the day cracked me up, especially when she said she dislikes all teenagers; in the podcast with Mary McDonnell and Kathe Mazur, they discussed how Kathe and James Duff had agreed early on that Andrea hates kids.  No wonder I like her.  I can do without Rusty Beck, Junior Detective and his investigative map, though.  Not to mention his concealed carry permit (which I don't think anyone should have), but I liked the scene at the shooting range; at least he acknowledged he could only hit Stroh if he was standing perfectly still.  Dude can't even wait for Sharon to put ear protectors on; he should possess a gun?

 

I fear a Los Angeles County Sheriff character will go goo-goo over Mr Beck like that judge just did and wave the general denial not to mention the  16 hours of training. Or perhaps he would do it for Commander Raydor, even if she doesn't want her son to have it and the County wants to provide bodyguards

0

Share Post


Link to post

I can't even guess what the solution to this is, so it's holding my attention. I can't believe the show has been cancelled, I wish bad things for the guy who did it.

We still don't know what's wrong with Sharon.

5

Share Post


Link to post

The arc title may be "Sanctuary City," but the de facto season title is "Chekhov's Rusty Gun" (because it sounds more clever than "Rusty's Chekhov's Gun" or "Rusty's Chekhovian Gun").

As for unspoiled arc plot speculation, right now I'm leaning towards it being an unfortunate series of events that befalls the three teens in their efforts to deal with the stress in their lives caused by adults' issues, including legal, financial, mental, political, and any other adjective that ends in L.

1

Share Post


Link to post

While watching it popped into my head that maybe Sharon is pregnant? Stranger things have happened. It could also be menopause just setting in and I say that with the deepest respect for the hell that is menopause. It landed my mother in the Emergency Room twice and drove her half-crazy for at least three years.

0

Share Post


Link to post

I'm having a hard time with this season so far. Outside of the fact that they are dragging out the Priests are abusers trope (which has been done to death imo), the storyline has got like 50 dangling ends that make no sense and I absolutely , positively can NOT stand the new woman detective who can't keep her damn mouth shut when she needs to. I love Sharon but honestly show can we just identify what's going on with her, it's ridiculous to have her being so unlike herself with no explanation and finally we need Julio back.

5

Share Post


Link to post

^^ So much that. This story line is taking far too long & is too convoluted. I'm getting disappointed.

0

Share Post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, rhys said:

This story line is taking far too long & is too convoluted.

I had to watch the repeat from last week before this episode because I was already confused with who was who and what was what etc.

1

Share Post


Link to post
2 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

While watching it popped into my head that maybe Sharon is pregnant? Stranger things have happened. It could also be menopause just setting in and I say that with the deepest respect for the hell that is menopause.

She's about sixty years old.  I think we can safely say both those things are behind her.

2

Share Post


Link to post

They are pushing the priest as the bad guy really hard . Makes you wonder if he is a red herring.

2

Share Post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, nitrofishblue said:

They are pushing the priest as the bad guy really hard . Makes you wonder if he is a red herring.

He must be, if he has left the country; I can't see this ending with the extradition process.  I think there was something going on between him and Ryan's mom, and maybe we'll find out something else shady, but I don't think he's going to turn out to be a kidnapper/killer -- he may be A bad guy, but he's not going to be THE bad guy.

3

Share Post


Link to post

With all this talk about Los Angeles being a Sanctuary City and the priest protecting the sanctuary of the church, I kept expecting the detectives to find a whole group of undocumented immigrants hiding. Maybe that's the secret the priest is hiding, that he is helping refugees cross the border and hiding them in the church until he can get them to safe houses. Maybe the missing boys are a part of the underground railroad, helping get the people to places. But then they run into a bunch of coyotes (the human kind) that want money or object to the boys helping their clients for free, and things go very wrong.

3

Share Post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

I want to watch this again to help me properly digest developments, but I continue to enjoy the story's unveiling.  The round robin with the three sets of parents was very well done - acted, shot, and edited.  Sharon trading on her relationship with the church to get cooperation, and her growing discontentment with her priest, was as well.  And the various theories of the crime - especially Andrea's reaction to how all of them are credible enough to create reasonable doubt for whomever they wind up prosecuting - were interesting.  So far, so good.

I agree. I think the scenes with the FBI and Andrea going over how they're not close to making a case because of the suspects creating reasonable doubt did a really good job of laying out all the suspects, possible motives, and the relationships between them. Especially compared to the previous multi-episode stories I think this much clearer and less convoluted. At least as long as they don't go in for any complicated conspiracies that is.
 

Quote

I also loved the way everyone stared at Paige when she interrupted Sharon, and that Sharon was sarcastic about it rather than dressing her down then and there

Yeah it was much better. This is the one area where they don't seem to have learned anything. She was much more believable this week and seemed more like a believable real person and less of a ridiculously obnoxious antagonist being a jerk for no reason, but a lot of the audience has already given up on her. It seems to me they could have dialed it back a bit last week without losing anyone. It reminds me of the introduction of Winnie Davis which was a mistake you think they'd try to avoid this time.
 

31 minutes ago, nitrofishblue said:

They are pushing the priest as the bad guy really hard . Makes you wonder if he is a red herring.

Totally a red herring. My personal theory at this time is that racist dude's daughter will be the key to solving this and it won't involve the church or the cartel directly. While the priest may be a bad guy he's not the killer and is there so we can see Raydor's and Provenza's reactions to the church and faith and because you need viable suspects to keep the story interesting for multiple episodes.

0

Share Post


Link to post

I agree that the priest is a red herring.  I like the idea that he might be using the church as a hideout for illegal immigrants; also, maybe he has been transferred to different churches for either that reason or maybe because he has the eye for the comely women in the congregation.  Either way, I don't think he kidnapped or murdered any of the boys.  At this stage, other than ruling him out, I have no idea which way this case is going to turn.   I'm also wondering what is going on with Sharon; hopefully not a serious health crisis where she will have to leave her job at the end of the series.  

And is just me or does it feel that the show kind of halts when the Rusty/Stroh stuff comes up?  I've always liked Rusty but his current stuff just seems kind of shoe-horned in at the moment.

1

Share Post


Link to post

This storyline remains very interesting and compelling, I'm really enjoying it overall. Despite the fact that I've always preferred the stand alone episodes, this storyline is very well written and entertaining and it's nice to see that the show still is very high quality despite the lowlifes at TNT doing everything they can to ruin it. 

Fascinating storyline, and we are really no closer to finding out who's responsible or what is going on. The priest is obviously suspect #1 and I've suspected him all along, but it would be too easy for it to be as simple as that now. The priest is definitely suspicious but it would be too simple for him to be a pedophile who abducted the boys, so I'm not sure what is up with him, he definitely no good though. I also think the racist neighbor is a red herring, no way he could be able to kidnap 3 boys, but I think his daughter knows more than she is telling. We also have the drug addicted dad of the dead kid who is acting very bizarre and his emotionally unstable wife, plus we have the drug cartel angle with the other kid and his deadbeat dad. 

Is anyone else suspicious of the other priest, Father Stan? He's just in the background, has been helpful, knows Sharon well and hasn't been considered a suspect, but I'm wondering if he knows more than he's letting on, something about him is starting to seem suspicious. 

Provenza was awesome as always, his "thanks for nothing" to the Jesus statue was hilarious, as was his increasing the price to use the printer while the FBI was there. 

I'm not liking the new detective at all, she's over the top and stands out massively from everyone else and not in a good way. On the other hand, I'm really enjoying Mason as Chief, he's been a great addition. 

Julio was still sorely missed, I'm very happy to see that he was in the promo for next week, having an original character miss 2 episodes of the final season was a disgrace and the show isn't the same without him. I hope that we find out more about his mom and what is going on with him, I'm really pissed about how they've treated him so far. 

The FOX, MSNBC and CNN parodies are still right on point. 

No mention of Sharon's flu, which made the first episodes constant mentions of it even stranger. 

This is a very good story, its complex while still understandable to follow without having to constantly rewind. I hope it stays this way, I was worried when I heard the final season was going to be all multi part episodes but this one is really interesting. I really hate TNT for cancelling such a high quality, superb show just because it isn't trendy with the critics or edgy enough for them. I don't want every TV show to be depressing crap about criminals succeeding, that happens enough in real life, TV should be an entertaining escape from real life and MC does that without being unrealistic or overly happy and positive. The show is still as good as ever and TNT should be ashamed of themselves for cancelling it, what a disgrace

3

Share Post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

No mention of Sharon's flu, which made the first episodes constant mentions of it even stranger. 

Sometimes the flu is just the flu. I didn't notice anything different about her voice or eyes or anything, but maybe Mary M really was ill and thought it would be obvious, so they wrote it into the script? Probably not, though.

7 hours ago, Bastet said:

She's about sixty years old.  I think we can safely say both those things are behind her.

Mary M is 63, but how old is Sharon supposed to be? If she's 53, I suppose it could be a later menopause. Whoops. See @Bastet's post directly below.

More likely it will be cancer and they'll do some real life fundraising. Hey. I get to suggest what y'all were thinking. You're welcome and I'm fine for now. Or it could be some other health condition that they would like to draw attention to regarding early warning signs and treatment. Heart, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.

Edited by shapeshifter.
1

Share Post


Link to post
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

Mary M is 63, but how old is Sharon supposed to be? If she's 53, I suppose it could be a later menopause.

Mary McDonnell is 65, and per James Duff's comments back in the second season or so, Sharon is about five years younger than her, so Sharon is about 60 now.  And they already did a menopause story line with Brenda.

Either the flu is just the flu (and the fact it's going around, and went through the school recently, is going to somehow be relevant to the case; maybe something Sharon's doctor says when she finally goes leads her to think of something with respect to the case) or in typical TV fashion she's dealing with another illness masquerading as the flu.  I'm obviously hoping for the former.

6

Share Post


Link to post
8 hours ago, roughing it said:

I had to watch the repeat from last week before this episode because I was already confused with who was who and what was what etc.

OK, glad it wasn't just me who got confused! Maybe I need to take a picture of the murder board to keep things straight for next episode...

Agreed that the drug-addicted father was acting very strangely--quite clinical how he was talking about the autopsy for having just lost his son. But then, that's how some people deal with things, they detach (or, well, take a bunch of oxy!)

Also, I forget how many parts this first arc has--does it get wrapped up next week, or are there more?

0

Share Post


Link to post
1 hour ago, MarylandGirl said:

--does it get wrapped up next week,

Yes, it's a three-story arc.  Was anyone looking for Fritz to come in with the FBI?

2

Share Post


Link to post

This is a 5 part storyline. So far I haven't found it too confusing, I got a bit mixed up as to which parents were which in the first episode but other than that I've been able to completely keep track of who's who and what is going on, I think they've done a good job not making it overly convoluted. The 3 parter last year where Chief Taylor was killed was incredibly hard to follow, I'm glad this storyline is more understandable. 

Edited by Xeliou66.
1

Share Post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, Babalooie said:

Yes, it's a three-story arc.  Was anyone looking for Fritz to come in with the FBI?

I totally expected Fritz to be there!

4

Share Post


Link to post

Oddly enough I thought that the story arcs from last year were a lot easier to follow.  I'm assuming that we are not going to get an episode with Brenda given the DA's comment about Brenda shooting Stroh. 

0

Share Post


Link to post
3 hours ago, MarylandGirl said:

Also, I forget how many parts this first arc has--does it get wrapped up next week, or are there more?

No, Sanctuary City is a five-part arc.  Then comes Conspiracy Theory, a four-part arc, followed by By Any Means, a four-part arc. 

1 hour ago, missbonnie said:

Oddly enough I thought that the story arcs from last year were a lot easier to follow.  I'm assuming that we are not going to get an episode with Brenda given the DA's comment about Brenda shooting Stroh. 

I'm finding this one by far the easiest to follow of the show's multi-episode arcs thus far, but we'll see if that holds true over three more episodes.

James Duff has said scheduling didn't work out to bring Brenda back, as they'd always wanted to do whenever the Stroh storyline was wrapped up, so unless he's just a big fat tease trying to throw us off course (which, looking at Kyra Sedgwick's schedule, I don't think is the case), Brenda's history with Stroh and current protected status will be discussed, but she won't be involved in the final showdown.

2

Share Post


Link to post

Decent story line but Sharon's overall behavior and the change in her dynamic with the show puzzles me.

Also her new hair style sucks.

4

Share Post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Was anyone looking for Fritz to come in with the FBI?

No, because he hasn't been with the FBI since season three when he took the Deputy Chief of SOB job, but I was hoping for Morris (D.B. Sweeney's character who took over as the LAPD's FBI liaison when Fritz changed jobs) instead of the two new people.

2

Share Post


Link to post

I think that if viewers feel that something is off with a character, it doesn't do the story any favors if it doesn't get explained. To the contrary, I find that it distracting. Look at the episode threads and how many comments are focused on that! And after it is distracting, it gets annoying because viewers can't understand what is going on. They want to, they're puzzled, but they also need to be given the answer or, at least, clues. So, I really hope that they're solving that issue soon!

1

Share Post


Link to post

I don't sense anything off with Sharon other than she's tired because she doesn't feel well - but is trying to downplay, at work, and probably with Andy, the extent to which she's still not totally back to normal - and she's increasingly uncomfortable with this case.

2

Share Post


Link to post

Ketoacidosis does not kill quickly. That's why if you find a diabetic unconscious, you give them a shot of glucagon, to raise their blood sugar quickly. Also, when Morales noted Lucas had not eaten that was an indicator his blood sugar was not raised by ingesting food without insulin. He also noted bile. Vomiting can raise blood sugar in diabetics. A coma due to a glucose level of 600 or 1 000  can linger for days, usually allowing time for medical treatment to stop the vomiting that raises the sugar.

1

Share Post


Link to post
11 hours ago, sjohnson said:

 A coma due to a glucose level of 600 or 1 000  can linger for days, usually allowing time for medical treatment to stop the vomiting that raises the sugar.

Interesting. I'm a Type 2 (would that be a "Type B?") and when initially diagnosed, my glucose was 500...I felt fine.

Someone above commented that the show seems to come to a halt when Rusty shows up. Agreed. Mrs. Torqy, seeing that he would be in this epi, asked "with all this stuff going on how are they going to cram more of him in here?"

I'll go out on a limb and say the vanishing priest and racist neighbor are both red herrings.

0

Share Post


Link to post

torqy: Blood glucose levels in diabetic ketoacidosis can go even higher. My memory of my lab aide days is very old, but I think I remember one of 12 000, a case quickly resolved by injections, by the way. 

A high blood sugar does not automatically lead to diabetic ketoacidosis, which involves the liver producing (indirectly) ketone bodies in the bloodstream, breath and urine. (That was the fruity smell.) Happily for you, it is not the blood sugar as such that is the problem. The damage comes from some of the ketone bodies turning the blood acidic. Blood is normally mildly alkaline. Acidosis interferes with the regulation of breathing. (And prolonged or severe acidosis can cause permanent organ damage.) And, yes, the results most certainly can be fatal. But this is why your high blood sugar did not cause symptoms. (Glycosylated hemoglobin from prolonged elevated glucose levels does cause problems in the circulation, hence, the peripheral nerves, but this is a chronic, not acute, problem.) 

Diabetic ketoacidosis due solely to lack of insulin is not a rapid onset disorder. Infection, heart attack, stroke, etc. are other issues entirely. 

1

Share Post


Link to post

I'm not a fan of the multi story arcs.  I find them slow and tedious.  this is no exception.  Oh, let's have almost everyone be suspects, priest, teacher, neighbor, dad or dads... it just goes on and on.  

I think Sharon's flu was something a few others had dealt with last week, so it's not pinging me. 

I want to go back to rather simple 1 story and done.  I don't care about Sharon's wedding or Rusty's boyfriend.  Stroh - meh - I'm over him. 

3

Share Post


Link to post

I miss the one-episode stories, too.  Sometimes I don't remember everything from one week to the next.  This is still a great show and the acting is a notch above most other dramas and procedurals.  That being said, I miss some of The Funny from back-in-the-day.  The Provenza-Flynn episodes were always enjoyable; also the interaction between Brenda, her squad and her parent visits.  Sometimes I just want an escape from news and crime.  I am also sick to death of Rusty.  And his hair.

I do realize that the characters have to grow and advance.  Flynn and Provenza probably could not have continued with the escapades.  I still miss them, though.  I don't think we will ever see the light-hearted shows on USA and TNT that we used to have.  Thanks to changing tastes and a younger audience, we must have shows with darkness and edge.  Why can't we have both?

4

Share Post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Kemper said:

 

I do realize that the characters have to grow and advance.  Flynn and Provenza probably could not have continued with the escapades.  I still miss them, though.  I don't think we will ever see the light-hearted shows on USA and TNT that we used to have.  Thanks to changing tastes and a younger audience, we must have shows with darkness and edge.  Why can't we have both?

Why not continue 13 years ago they were at the plateau of their careers and many years earlier had qualified for retirement if they wanted to take it. It was only Louie meeting a widow that he bonded with that broke their dynamic. To cross networks and genres The Orville's success along with Lethal Weapon bringing back the action comedy without the senior squads of The Closer/Major Crimes and NCIS does give me hope that a network can flip position again.

2

Share Post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I miss the one-episode stories, too.  Sometimes I don't remember everything from one week to the next.  This is still a great show and the acting is a notch above most other dramas and procedurals.  That being said, I miss some of The Funny from back-in-the-day.  The Provenza-Flynn episodes were always enjoyable; also the interaction between Brenda, her squad and her parent visits.  Sometimes I just want an escape from news and crime.  I am also sick to death of Rusty.  And his hair.

I do realize that the characters have to grow and advance.  Flynn and Provenza probably could not have continued with the escapades.  I still miss them, though.  I don't think we will ever see the light-hearted shows on USA and TNT that we used to have.  Thanks to changing tastes and a younger audience, we must have shows with darkness and edge.  Why can't we have both?

Yeah, I prefer a mix of single episodes in with the multi-episode arcs. I miss the light-heartedness, too. I mean, maybe there will be some of that with the wedding? But Brenda's parents were usually great. I know it got kind of bad toward the end, but I miss Royal Pains. It could handle some serious subject matter while still being light-hearted. And the first season or two of Covert Affairs (then it kind of went off the rails). I don't want all dark, all the time...

3

Share Post


Link to post

My daughter and I picked up on the "Type A" diabetic flub instantly and wondered how on earth that didn't get caught.  

Father Stan went up on our suspicion chart as Father Jonas faded out.  With three more episodes to go, it's hard to say, though.

I will miss this show desperately when it goes.  There is so much trash on TV, and this show is just an oasis of enjoyment.  I so hope a new one as good will come along soon!  The Closer did a better job highlighting LA neighborhoods and quirks, but that stuff shows up some in Major Crimes, too, and I've always loved that.  

0

Share Post


Link to post
Just now, Calamity Jane said:

The Closer did a better job highlighting LA neighborhoods and quirks, but that stuff shows up some in Major Crimes, too, and I've always loved that.  

Yes - this franchise uses L.A. as a character better than most shows set here, and I really enjoy that.

1

Share Post


Link to post

I know I complained about Rusty Beck, Junior Detective, and his wall of notes and clippings, last week, but that's the scene that was starting when I turned on the repeat tonight, and I just have to do it again.  I have no problem with him wanting to be informed about the case, since he is undoubtedly on Stroh's wish list of victims and the guy has proven to be dangerous and elusive.  But there's a big difference between asking Sharon/Andrea questions, or even getting a copy of the parts of the case file he can see, and dedicating a wall of his room to the case like he's a master profiler brought in to solve it.  And, so help me if he is somehow the one who solves it; I don't put much past Duff in terms of his Mary Sue, but I have to believe actual, you know, detectives will be written as the ones putting things together.

3

Share Post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Calamity Jane said:

 

I will miss this show desperately when it goes.  There is so much trash on TV, and this show is just an oasis of enjoyment.  I so hope a new one as good will come along soon!  The Closer did a better job highlighting LA neighborhoods and quirks, but that stuff shows up some in Major Crimes, too, and I've always loved that.  

I think that comes down to a  trading Sergeant Gabriel with his close community ties along with Chief Taylor mentoring him for higher rank with Detective Skyes. Who was an Army MP in Afghanistan and her Lieutenant's girlfriend when with SIS so got a transfer to another high profile unit. Sometimes it feels like she was never a patrol cop in Los Angeles as the old hands tell her things she should have known. Like when Detective Sanchez, who hand not been a beat cop for over a decade at that point mentioned free school breakfast was why kids were out so early when they were on stakeout.

Because Chief Johnson did not know the city Sergeant Gabriel as her driver in the early episodes served to fill her, along with the audience, in on the city. Meanwhile Commander Raydor is the ultimate insider, but her contacts have been around as long as her so we don't get data dumps, except when Detective Sanchez is changing actual gang names into TV gangs

1

Share Post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

I know I complained about Rusty Beck, Junior Detective, and his wall of notes and clippings, last week, but that's the scene that was starting when I turned on the repeat tonight, and I just have to do it again.  I have no problem with him wanting to be informed about the case, since he is undoubtedly on Stroh's wish list of victims and the guy has proven to be dangerous and elusive.  But there's a big difference between asking Sharon/Andrea questions, or even getting a copy of the parts of the case file he can see, and dedicating a wall of his room to the case like he's a master profiler brought in to solve it.  And, so help me if he is somehow the one who solves it; I don't put much past Duff in terms of his Mary Sue, but I have to believe actual, you know, detectives will be written as the ones putting things together.

Well he probably won't be the one who solves it technically. I'm sure it will be his idea, but Buzz will find the info and put things together. Unless of course they go with Stroh comes to them, gets past Andy and Sharon and then is shot dead by Rusty. I could see that too.

0

Share Post


Link to post

Catching up on the episodes... I'm surprised and then not that Sharon agreed to let Rusty have the gun. I can see why she can see that he has a point and I guess, he'd rather do it with her being in charge than not. But I don't trust Rusty do understand or even truly listen to her when she says that the gun is the last resort. I don't get the feeling that he realizes what it means to shoot someone or that he took to heart what Sharon said about that. He's way too eager to get a gun, in my opinion. Also, the moment he cut her off when she was talking to him at the shooting range, I would have told him that they're postponing training for at least a week because he just proved that he's still too immature to listen. Maybe he didn't like her lecturing but she knows what she's talking about. He's 21. He could shoot someone and kill him and if he does, it'll be with him for the rest of his life (unless he's a sociopath).

0

Share Post


Link to post

I think she agreed because she has no other real choice.  If she'd resisted, he'd have rushed off and tried to do things his own way, maybe even getting a gun immediately.  This way, she has the entirety of the process to get the concealed carry permit to not only get in a lot of lessons on how to shoot, but to get through his thick skull.  Any time he gets itchy to hurry things along, she can fall back on "Hey, I've been perfectly logical in acknowledging your right to do this, so the deal is you be equally logical in taking your time."  Because, while he has matured (as evidenced by the fact he came to her and Andy up front), I agree with you that he doesn't fully grasp what she's saying about the many reasons - both practical and emotional - his first line of defense is his security detail, her, Andy, etc, and pulling a gun is an only in the even it's life or death last resort.  He thinks he understands, but he's not getting the gravity of it.

0

Share Post


Link to post

So this is going to be Chekhov's proverbial gun, that Rusty will use to shoot (at least at) Stroh, right? Or maybe Stroh will get his hands on the gun, aim it at Rusty, and Andy will shoot (and kill) Stroh. I mean, since this is a show and not real life, it's got to be a Chekhov's gun, right? So the "third act" in which "the gun will go off," could be the third multi-episode arc of the season. Or the gun could just be a vehicle to illustrate Rusty and Sharon's relationship in this episode, and, like many of the characterizations of the suspects in this multi-episode arc, it will be dropped.

0

Share Post


Link to post
On 11/8/2017 at 1:13 PM, nitrofishblue said:

They are pushing the priest as the bad guy really hard . Makes you wonder if he is a red herring.

he has to be a red herring, because this is only part 2 of 5 and he already looks super guilty.  So it can't be him.

0

Share Post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now