Who took better care of Liam???

In my point of view,the one who took the best care of Liam when he was a baby was Lip.

Frank made the mistake of taking Liam with him to some group of guys he owed money to(forget what episode it was),and they put poor Liam in a cage,deciding to keep him until Frank coughed up the money he owed them.It took the rest of the Gallagher family to cough up the bucks to get Liam back.

Fiona wound up doing coke when partying with friends at home.Her mistake was leaving the remainder of cocaine where Liam could reach it,and he went into a coma and was rushed to the hospital.And she was arrested.

It would seem that Lip has done a better job of keeping Liam safe and out of harm's way.Their bond is cute.He took Liam to school with him.And I love how Lip comforted Liam after he had awoke from a nightmare."It's only a nightmare.It's not real.It's all over.You're the man."

Not to say that Frank and Fiona don't love Liam just the same.But if you ask me,Lip wins the prize.

Share Post

I strongly disagree and for me this isn't even a question, since the it's clearly obvious Fiona did all the work. Monica left. So she definitely doesn't count. Frank was absent all the time and when he was around, he was only making things worse or deliberately putting Liam's life in danger, unlike Fiona. Needless to list everything Frank done wrong. Fiona dropped highschool to dedicate her life to her siblings. She was working and taking care of them. Including Lip. She took care of all of them and provide for them and I don't think there is any slightly suggestion that she doesn't love them strongly.

She's been taking care of Liam since he was a baby and the cocaine incident was a result of a 30 seconds mistake. Yes, she was guilty and that was a result of her irresponsibility, but putting things in perspective, what she's done for Liam and all of them is much bigger than that mistake.

And Lip, as much as I love him, he's a hypocrite. After the cocaine incident, he took Liam and Carl from Fiona because he didn't trust her, but let Amanda, a girl he barely knew, to take care of Liam, his youngest brother who had just overdosed. And he let Carl, a 12 year old boy, drink alcohol with college students. How hypocrite is that.

And honestly, even Debbie have been more present baby sitting for Liam than Lip was. I don't doubt he strongly love Liam and his other siblings and he is also a very protective brother. But Fiona, by far, was the best person in their lives. Withour her, they'd be lost.

Share Post

19 minutes ago, planet17 said:

She's been taking care of Liam since he was a baby and the cocaine incident was a result of a 30 seconds mistake. Yes, she was guilty and that was a result of her irresponsibility, but putting things in perspective, what she's done for Liam and all of them is much bigger than that mistake.

I disagree. Though Fiona has been Liam's custodial parent his entire life, her 'mistake' almost killed him. So, in that regard, she's not any better than Frank.

Lip took good care of Liam (and Carl), given the circumstances. He'd never be able to be a custodial parent to Liam and Carl, in the manner which Fiona was, prior to the coke-drama, but neither boy ended up in harm's way while in Lip's care.

Was that mostly because of luck? Possibly. But it's not as if Lip had many options, and he was completely justified in temporarily removing his brothers from Fiona's care imo.

Edited by Dee.

Share Post

If you're comparing Fiona to Frank, I have nothing else to say. Frank never provided for any of them. Never gave 1 cent, instead he took anything he could from them. Frank deliberately put Liam and his kids in danger. Fiona dedicated her life for them. He is selfish and he puts himself in first always, the oppositve of Fiona. If you say she isn't any better than him, I don't think we're watching the same show.

I don't think Fiona's efforts (since she was 6 years old) to take care of her siblings can be limited to her decision to be their legal guardian, which was already a huge sacrifice that many wouldn't have the courage to do it. Her sacrifices were beyond and much bigger than that. The same way that her 5 seconds mistake, which almost killed Liam, yes, imediately destroy everything she's done for him. Do you realize what taking care of a kid is? Seriously, I don't think we've seen in the show any indication that Lip has taking care of Liam more or better than Fiona did. Just taking him away for a weekend when Fiona made a mistake makes him a better care taker than her in what 15 years of her life that she kept them safe and together? If you think so, again, I have nothing else to say.

Lip is indeed a very protective brother, but he had to baby sit and take care for Liam and his siblings much less than Fiona did. And as I said, from everything we've seen in the show we have more evidence that Debbie have been more present baby sitting Liam than Lip was. Taking care of Liam for only a few times doesn't make him better than Fiona.

Lip is one of my favorite characters and I love him, but he has his flaws and I recognize them.

Share Post

Nobody is rating the Gallagher siblings moral failings. All of them, save Liam, are heavily flawed.

However, what Fiona did with Liam wasn't 'just' a mistake. Her reckless actions nearly caused the death of one of her siblings, a fact she constantly attempted to minimize in the aftermath.

Which shows that, just like Frank, she was fine with prioritizing her own well-being over her kids.

Again, I said Lip wouldn't be a reliable custodial parent, but that he was justified in temporarily removing Liam and Carl from Fiona's care.

Plus raising the Gallagher kids has never fallen solely on Fiona. Vee, Kevin, Lip, Ian, Debbie and even arguably Sheila, all had major hands in keeping the Gallagher ship afloat. Fiona's contributions are/were significant, but the Gallagher's continued survival has always been very much a communal effort.

Also, it must be said, although Fiona fought for legal guardianship of her siblings, she's been consistently negligent, as a custodial parent, from Season 4 onward.

Edited by Dee.

Share Post