Shopping Channel Hosts: Sales Prevention Team

watching Mark Charles and Antony , 

A is a seasoned host, and Mark Charles doesn't have to pander to the Diva. 

Mark Charles looks thinner 

Edited by hummingbird.

Share Post

3 hours ago, hummingbird said:

watching Mark Charles and Antony , 

A is a seasoned host, and Mark Charles doesn't have to pander to the Diva. 

Mark Charles looks thinner 

Mark looks thinner because Antony is quite slim  and makes McSilly look svelte!

I just tuned in and I don't know about you, but I think Jill looks decent today!

Must be the tunic length blouse she has on, instead of her usual boxy, tight, boob length leather/pleather jacket!

Share Post

It was an entertaining show; they had a good rapport and MC seemed more relaxed than usual. 

I think working with David puts vendors on edge, waiting for Psycho-Color-Removing Diva to kick into high gear.

Share Post

14 hours ago, Booney said:

I’m not liking this look on Amy. The short dress, bare legs and short boots - not a fan of this look. It would have looked better with dark tights IMO. The dress is giving off a muu muu vibe.

56B3CBD4-004F-4700-8CB9-9D12C3512D9B.thumb.jpeg.8d699762f49e56c90b0322d8061baec5.jpeg

F0BD064E-3073-4BFD-A954-32602FE12C64.thumb.jpeg.44de7bc16fe9a847d2886b823b78bef8.jpeg

Sometime this past week she said how wrong it looks to have bare legs in winter. She was selling opaque tights.

Share Post

I find JRT absolutely fascinating...almost akin to Nora Desmond.  She is not an unattractive woman, yet manages to wear the most outlandish outfits.  No one is there to say "No, Jane, not a good look."  She brings it every single time.  She is always gracious.  I like her (small voice).  She has a lot of gumption. The hair, the make up, the outfit...."I am ready for my close up Mr. Demille"!

Share Post

8 minutes ago, Doesthatmakesense said:

I find JRT absolutely fascinating...almost akin to Nora Desmond.  She is not an unattractive woman, yet manages to wear the most outlandish outfits.  No one is there to say "No, Jane, not a good look."  She brings it every single time.  She is always gracious.  I like her (small voice).  She has a lot of gumption. The hair, the make up, the outfit...."I am ready for my close up Mr. Demille"!

It’s interesting, I’ve been watching QVC since the beginning, and except for looks, JRT hasn’t changed. My mom used to call her “ always promoting Janie” because she would mention whatever show she was doing next constantly, just like she does with Shoe Shopping with Jane. She drives me nuts, but she sure earns her paycheck.

Share Post

2 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

Snickerdoodle hummus.

No thank you, Jill.

we have no TV for that I am thankful 

Share Post

15 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

Snickerdoodle hummus.

No thank you, Jill.

Jan Muller looked appropriately horrified at this concoction.

Share Post

If that's what you do with a Vitamix, I don't want or need one.

BTW: Jill does seem brighter and more upbeat today;  maybe cause she gets to eat for 3 hours.....

Share Post

19 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

Snickerdoodle hummus.

No thank you, Jill.

Chocolate hummus is a real thing.  I bought some because WW folks say it's yum, but I have yet to try it!

Share Post

This is nothing new, but Jan Muller disturbs me in some way I can't explain. 

It's 2019......there's no need to scotch tape a mike to the side of your face, is there?

And he looked miffed because he had to make another soup, but didn't know what it was.....Jill tasted it and declared it baked potato soup but - quelle horror! - Jan discovered it was corn chowder!

6 minutes ago, Booney said:

Jan Muller looked appropriately horrified at this concoction.

........ as did the Lovesmesome household!  blech!

Edited by lovemesomejoolery.

Share Post

16 hours ago, Booney said:

Christie Brinkley, on now helping to hawk the Total Gym, looks damn good for 64. I don’t think there’s any question that she’s had work done, but she’s got a good plastic surgeon - it’s subtle. She doesn’t look overly plumped, or pulled too tight.  If you’re going to tweak, this is the way to do it IMO.

66D7056C-17DC-4E5B-A73B-4B7CE7E293E2.thumb.jpeg.a9ca43c5a161a974ab34991fea8eea2a.jpeg

Will you still love me when I'm 64?  Beatles' Question for the Ages.  MY question is when will mature women be allowed to look like our chronological age sans being mocked?  I find Alice in Wonderland hairstyles on older femmes much more snarkable than, say, Amy's apparently insupportable opt for short tresses.

Share Post

6 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

This is nothing new, but Jan Muller disturbs me in some way I can't explain. 

It's 2019......there's no need to scotch tape a mike to the side of your face, is there?

Funny you should mention this, because I snapped a pic of the cookbook OAP, Marlene Koch, with her earpiece scotch-taped to the side of her face. Is there a grade-school intern on the production crew today? If I were Marlene, I think I would’ve worn my hair down if I knew I was going to have slab of scotch tape on my ear.

B82DADF3-F9C6-4947-BB57-CB33CE2B9DC7.thumb.jpeg.3472dc11d70cad1c85d6853e8bfee1c1.jpeg

13 minutes ago, JohnnyStar5 said:

BTW: Jill does seem brighter and more upbeat today;  maybe cause she gets to eat for 3 hours.....

I think Jill was enjoying Marlene’s recipes a tad too much, lol.

547D6A83-782B-4A3A-8F3F-9F22855CBB0B.thumb.jpeg.e3517aa74cb47d42e346482fbb19d3fa.jpeg

70807056-D59F-4B89-8D49-DCC3E5FB15C9.thumb.jpeg.308e36c8bb24d02221dabb0b2a7ed236.jpeg

Share Post

26 minutes ago, Booney said:

Funny you should mention this, because I snapped a pic of the cookbook OAP, Marlene Koch, with her earpiece scotch-taped to the side of her face. Is there a grade-school intern on the production crew today? If I were Marlene, I think I would’ve worn my hair down if I knew I was going to have slab of scotch tape on my ear.

B82DADF3-F9C6-4947-BB57-CB33CE2B9DC7.thumb.jpeg.3472dc11d70cad1c85d6853e8bfee1c1.jpeg

I think Jill was enjoying Marlene’s recipes a tad too much, lol.

547D6A83-782B-4A3A-8F3F-9F22855CBB0B.thumb.jpeg.e3517aa74cb47d42e346482fbb19d3fa.jpeg

70807056-D59F-4B89-8D49-DCC3E5FB15C9.thumb.jpeg.308e36c8bb24d02221dabb0b2a7ed236.jpeg

She really layered on the jewelry a la Antonella.

Share Post

On 1/17/2019 at 8:08 PM, Booney said:

Well, “Down Home with David” opened with the set of Campanelli microfiber dusters, a product that’s been presented umpteen times on the Q. Yawn. David’s in a buffalo plaid flannel shirt. Is this supposed to make him “down home”?

They needed to unload all the Christmas gift returns.

Share Post

45 minutes ago, telemachus2 said:

Will you still love me when I'm 64?  Beatles' Question for the Ages.  MY question is when will mature women be allowed to look like our chronological age sans being mocked?  I find Alice in Wonderland hairstyles on older femmes much more snarkable than, say, Amy's apparently insupportable opt for short tresses.

I alone really like Amy's hair.  Agree on the rest.

Share Post

I think Christie Brinkley is a beautiful woman but why does she want to try and look like her 19 year old daughter?  She looked ridiculous yesterday even down to her crop top.  Her hair looked like a wig or even extensions.  Both she and Sandra looked like wax too with all the Botox.  It was disturbing and sad.

Share Post

20 hours ago, selhars said:

I agree 100%. Nothing new here. Sooo disappointing. David said, "we heard you." Well apparently not.

And I guess that doesn't matter, because for the most part recently QVC's revenue has been up, right? So management must think they have a winning formula.

We've been saying for years and years that: QVC hosts spend too much time on one product, that QVC airs too many shows of the same product, that QVC hosts don't give enough info on the products (how do you sell something and NOT give the measurements??). Not the clothing. But there was some non-apparel item being sold recently and I kept hoping (beyond hope) that they would say how long and wide it was. And they never said what size the damn thing was. 

My pet peeve is with the food shows, as someone who wants to know whats IN my food, I want hosts give give more details about all the ingredients in something. Does it have soy (which many women limit), how much sodium? If you don't want to say how many calories or how much fat are in a slice of cheesecake --which wouldn't be good for selling desserts -- I get that:) But surely there is SOME nutritional label info they can give. It's on the package viewers will get in the mail so why can't they just provide that info on air?

Will our dire predictions for QVC come true? Eventually, maybe? Personally, I don't see the Q appealing to younger viewers. And eventually their current "core" viewership WILL die off. It's not offering anything people can't get from any number of other sources. Okay sure, Denim and Co., Quaker Factory, Susan Graver, LOGO, H by Halston and their clothing lines "exclusive to QVC." Give me a break.

I just continue to marvel at the decisions that are made, and how executives are running that place. It's mind-boggling.

Every once in a while someone will post on the Q boards something along the lines of, "I just bought X" (usually a kitchen appliance).  The next line will be, "Can someone tell me how big it is/the dimensions/what size pans will fit inside."  A host or OAP saying, "This will fit on your counter under your upper kitchen cabinets" does not suffice.

As for the food, not giving the nutrition info probably helps sales (same with HSN and Evine when they sell food, which is nowhere near as often).  Sometimes during food presentations I'll look up the item on Q's website (the name, not the item number, so I can see past reviews if the product has been around for a while).  There's a link to the nutrition info there, and quite a few of the products, even the "healthy" ones, are salt bombs.

Finally, I wonder if the powers-that-be at Qurate and Evine think (hope, pray) that perhaps as the later Boomers and the earliest Gen X move into retirement age they will be the next generation of Q customers in terms of watching on TV, which will buy them more time, so to speak, while they try to figure out how to reach people under the age of 40 or so.

Share Post

In general whether due to better skin/hair care -- or health/diet lifestyles, or breakthroughs in surgery techniques -- I think judging how a person looks at a given age is antiquated and based on stereotypes. What does anyone look like at any age? If you look at pictures of two people and are asked which one "looks" 64 -- or which of these people would you say is 64 -- you could be fooled every time. IF pressed to answer that question about Christie I'd certainly say she doesn't "look 64." Outside of a medical issue or illness -- as far as looks go, if 50 is the new 40, and 60 is the new 50 -- and 80 is the new 70 -- then it's meaningless to say a 64-year-old shouldn't have -- or doesn't look good in -- long hair. Some might look good some might not. Some 20 year olds might not look good in long hair.

I think Christie looks fine with her long hair. For me, it's not about a person's age, but how they look with the hair they have and whether the style and cut -- at whatever age -- is flattering or not. And that is totally subjective.  Christie, I believe, is older than Carolyn Gracie? Are they about the same age?...and I'd certainly say Christie looks better in long hair than Carolyn would. Heck some would say Christie looks better in long hair than Carolyn looks in short hair. Judging hair styles by age and not face/head form and structure just makes no sense to me..

Finally, I wonder if the powers-that-be at Qurate and Evine think (hope, pray) that perhaps as the later Boomers and the earliest Gen X move into retirement age they will be the next generation of Q customers in terms of watching on TV, which will buy them more time, so to speak, while they try to figure out how to reach people under the age of 40 or so.

I don't see that happening but we'll see......

Younger generations just are NOT even growing up with TV as those over 50 did. Just today, a 25-year-old co worker said he doesn't know anyone who sits down and watches scheduled shows cable TV. Being old enough to be his mom, of course, his comment made me feel soooo old.

Edited by selhars.

Share Post

1 hour ago, selhars said:

1--  In general whether due to better skin/hair care -- or health/diet lifestyles, or breakthroughs in surgery techniques -- I think judging how a person looks at a given age is antiquated and based on stereotypes. What does anyone look like at any age? If you look at pictures of two people and are asked which one "looks" 64 -- or which of these people would you say is 64 -- you could be fooled every time. IF pressed to answer that question about Christie I'd certainly say she doesn't "look 64." Outside of a medical issue or illness -- as far as looks go, if 50 is the new 40, and 60 is the new 50 -- and 80 is the new 70 -- then it's meaningless to say a 64-year-old shouldn't have -- or doesn't look good in -- long hair. Some might look good some might not. Some 20 year olds might not look good in long hair.

I think Christie looks fine with her long hair. For me, it's not about a person's age, but how they look with the hair they have and whether the style and cut -- at whatever age -- is flattering or not. And that is totally subjective.  Christie, I believe, is older than Carolyn Gracie? Are they about the same age?...and I'd certainly say Christie looks better in long hair than Carolyn would. Heck some would say Christie looks better in long hair than Carolyn looks in short hair. Judging hair styles by age and not face/head form and structure just makes no sense to me..

2--  Younger generations just are NOT even growing up with TV as those over 50 did. Just today, a 25-year-old co worker said he doesn't know anyone who sits down and watches scheduled shows cable TV. Being old enough to be his mom, of course, his comment made me feel soooo old.

1-- I agree, except that I don't think Christie's hair looks that good -- color, cut or texture. It looks flat on all fronts. No life to it. 

2-- I said that, too, in an earlier post. I agree. 

Edited by AdeleDazeem.

Share Post

Younger generations just are NOT even growing up with TV as those over 50 did. Just today, a 25-year-old co worker said he doesn't know anyone who sits down and watches scheduled shows cable TV. Being old enough to be his mom, of course, his comment made me feel soooo old.

@selhars, you make a good point.  My kids rarely watch live TV.  Most of watch they watch is streamed.   One pays for NetFlix, one for Hulu, one HBO and they all share.  Unless the Q can change how their products are presented, I don’t see the younger generation jumping on board. 

As far as Christy Brinkley goes.   She has worked hard for years to eat well and look good.  Not saying, she hasn’t had work done by an amazing surgeon.  ( Marie Osmond and Pat D needs to get his number. )  But I do believe if you start taking better care of yourself when younger, it pays off when you are older.  

Share Post

That's why I added the (hope, pray).

4 minutes ago, LGGirl said:

@selhars, you make a good point.  My kids rarely watch live TV.  Most of watch they watch is streamed.   One pays for NetFlix, one for Hulu, one HBO and they all share.  Unless the Q can change how their products are presented, I don’t see the younger generation jumping on board.

Yep, streaming is the big thing now, and people are cutting cable for all sorts of reasons, cost being one of the big ones.  I know Q sometimes shows up on basic cable, but other times people have to seek it out.  Ditch the cable and you may discover you don't miss it.

This is a bit off-topic, but I think the only thing that could save cable TV is going a la carte.  There will be a bunch of TV channels that cease to exist, though.

Share Post

I agree, except that I don't think Christie's hair looks that good -- color, cut or texture. It looks flat on all fronts. No life to it. 

It certainly didn't seem to have been "styled," I'll say that.:) But we all know that most of the time celebrities can't win either way. If she'd come out with her hair flipped and curled ala Farrah Fawcett, people would tear her apart for "not wanting to grow old,' or trying to present herself as a 20-year-old, or not having a hair style 'appropriate for  a 64-year-old.

Share Post

5 minutes ago, selhars said:

It certainly didn't seem to have been "styled," I'll say that.:) But we all know that most of the time celebrities can't win either way. If she'd come out with her hair flipped and curled ala Farrah Fawcett, people would tear her apart for "not wanting to grow old,' or trying to present herself as a 20-year-old, or not having a hair style 'appropriate for  a 64-year-old.

That's opposite of my point. Brinkley's hair looks overdone, over-processed, over-bleached, no highlights or life, over-straightened. I don't know how much is hers, how much is weave.  Too much "styling" has been done. I'll never understand how people with all the money and the best at their disposal have lousy hair, weaves, wigs, etc.  

Share Post

20 hours ago, Booney said:

Christie Brinkley, on now helping to hawk the Total Gym, looks damn good for 64. I don’t think there’s any question that she’s had work done, but she’s got a good plastic surgeon - it’s subtle. She doesn’t look overly plumped, or pulled too tight.  If you’re going to tweak, this is the way to do it IMO.

66D7056C-17DC-4E5B-A73B-4B7CE7E293E2.thumb.jpeg.a9ca43c5a161a974ab34991fea8eea2a.jpeg

Christie Brinkley is the spokesperson for Ultherapy, which uses ultrasound to tighten skin. It hurts like hell but it really works. I've had it done. She also gets fillers and xeoman, which is like botox. And she readily admits to getting this done. I find that very refreshing when celebrities admit to have procedures done.

Share Post