S06.E01: Sanctuary City: Part One 2017.10.31

When 3 fifteen year old boys disappear from a Catholic School field trip, new Asst Chief Mason orders Major Crimes to treat their disappearance as a critical missing. Meanwhile, Sharon receives more evidence that Phillip Stroh may be returning to Los Angeles.

Share Post

Short sneak peek clip from this episode:

There's another promo with Sharon yelling at Mason, "This case is our jurisdiction!" so that should be an interesting dynamic. 

Share Post

This is just one person's opinion, obviously, but I saw a brief write-up from someone who watched an advanced copy of this episode, and she reported that it felt very much like a typical episode of the series, despite the shift to serialized storytelling.

Share Post

What a horrible night to premiere, and I admit to being distracted by the World Series (go Dodgers!), but I’m so excited to finally have the show back – and so sad this is the final season.

I like this case, and agree with the person who said this felt like a “regular” episode, just one in which there doesn’t happen to be an arrest by the end.  I may get lost with the three families’ stories as they spread out after a few more episodes, but for now I’m digging it.

I’m not sure about making Det. Page’s flaw that she doesn’t know how to work as part of a team, since we already did that with Nolan.  She’s also rather annoying.  And I’m not overly excited to have another new person at this stage of the game, but I am glad that person is another woman, and another person of color, so I’ll see how it goes.

I do want the Stroh thing resolved, I just don’t want it to eat the show.  Again, we’ll see.  They’re going to have to explain why he’s opted to come back and go on a killing spree of people in his life, when he got away so cleanly; it would seem more logical for him to be raping and murdering in another country, not coming back and killing people connected to him.

I’ll have to watch again for cohesive thoughts, but notes thus far:

I’m not sure what they’re doing with Sharon’s flu; the flu is never just the flu on TV.  Yes, other characters are battling it too, but they're paying more attention to hers. 

I know Miguel’s mom from somewhere; I’ll have to look her up.

They killed off Mrs. Sanchez?!  I know they needed to explain Julio’s absence because Raymond Cruz wasn’t available, but damn.  Poor guy has already lost his brother.  (And since when do he and Sharon have the same priest?)

Good gods, I could do without Buzz brought in as a detective.

I love Provenza’s revenge on the racist neighbor, and Sharon’s face when he tried to blow Mason off about it.

I like that the offices were rebuilt largely the same after the explosion, just a little more high tech.  And the murder boards are still there, yay.

All the Catholic stuff is at least always good for Provenza snark.

LOL at "FPX News" as the asshole stand-in for Fox News.

Damn, it’s been a long time since NYPD Blue, and “Gina” doesn’t look all that much older.

I wish the Gus and Rusty thing was done as of Rusty’s “Good-bye” last season – it was this lovely moment where Rusty presented it to him as a long-distance relationship, but knew it was actually the end.  I don’t care to have it dragged out.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

So what's up with Sharon? First thought was, she can't be pregnant can she? The I went to OMG Sharon's dying of cancer! Please don't let it be a major sickness.

I don't care about Rusty/Gus and I'm not thrilled with the return of the Stroh plot. Please don't let it consume the season.

I was already prepared to hate New Cop Lady (Page?) she was really annoying. However, putting her together with Provenza was too adorable for words. So, now I kind of like her. All Hail the Power of Provenza! 😁

I missed the first 4 minutes, did they actually make Buzz an offical Major Crimes Detective? That doesn't seem fair since most cops have to work their way IP from the bottom and put time in with other departments before getting a shot at Major Crimes. 

I have to admit, even though I enjoyed the stand alone episode formula used in the past, I kind of prefer the multi-episde/season long story. I just hope they manage to keep the mystery going and doesn't get dull/slow.

Edited by Morrigan2575.

Share Post

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I missed the first 4 minutes, did they actually make Buzz an offical Major Crimes Detective?

No.  With so many people to interview, and Sanchez being on bereavement leave, they were short on detectives, so Sharon asked Buzz to step in.  Which is some serious "oh, please" stuff on its own, but it did not rise to the level of him being part of the squad on an official/regular basis.

Share Post

2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

So what's up with Sharon? First thought was, she can't be pregnant can she? The I went to OMG Sharon's dying of cancer! Please don't let it be a major sickness.

In 13 episodes that conclude the show? Maybe I'm way off the mark, but hasn't James Duff stated before that we need more happiness or something? (It was a while ago, so I don't recall the exact wording). It doesn't sound like he'll let the show end on a tragic note.

He has also ruled out pregnancy. (And Sharon's way past 50, anyway, isn't she?)

Share Post

8 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

He has also ruled out pregnancy. (And Sharon's way past 50, anyway, isn't she?)

Heh, yes.  By Duff's statements, Sharon is about five years younger than Mary (so, 60-ish now), and in response to crazy fan questions, he made clear there would be no Sharon/Andy baby.

Share Post

THE FINAL SEASON????? Since when? This is the first I've heard of it, WHY????? It better not be all Stroh, all the time.

Like other posters, I don’t understand what’s wrong with Sharon, she kept talking about having the flu, but people were too concerned about her & she seemed like she was hiding something.

I wonder if this storyline is going to last the entire season.

Share Post

I think the flu is just the flu. It's another aspect of working life; sometimes you have to go in when you aren't 100%. And I like Rusty trying to take care of his Mom as much as he can -- parents can be foolish about their own health, especially as they're getting older and still see themselves in the caregiving role to their children, when they have to be, to a degree, invincible. Props to Mary, I thought Sharon was going to hurl all through the last scene from a combo of the death and being sick. Really glad she didn't though, I hate how sometime in the past decade or so showing onscreen vomiting on TV has become acceptable.

It shouldn't be this hard for Rusty to say, "Mom, I want a gun." I feel like I said two seasons ago that they needed to arm Rusty and get him a concealed weapons permit. If he was my kid I would have had him at the gun range as soon as Stroh was confirmed to have escaped custody. And I thought it was interesting that they made a point of showing a shot of Cami (whom I *do not* like so far, even if she is sweet with Provenza) releasing her holster so she could get to her gun more easily. Anyway, if there's any place and parent to learn property gun safety with, this is it. And although Rusty has an impulsive streak, I can't see him being reckless with a gun. He has an instinct for when he's in immediate danger (when he fought off Stroh, ducking what's-his-face with the plastic couch covers); I don't think he'd draw without absolutely knowing he'd need to shoot. I hope we don't have to watch a retread of his SIS training where he fails the tests given to him by not following orders.

Share Post

5 minutes ago, GaT said:

THE FINAL SEASON????? Since when? This is the first I've heard of it, WHY?????

It was announced at the beginning of the month.  As for why, despite it being the network's number one show, it doesn't fit the brand/theme.  But even though TNT didn't cancel it until just as filming commenced on what is now the finale, Duff & Co. knew from all the signs that this was quite likely the last run of episodes, and thus crafted them accordingly (while leaving room for the show to continue on). Lots more info in the Media thread.

Share Post

Why is there no Julio?  Wah. . . Is he unavailable for all episodes? Filming Better Call Saul?  

I liked the episode a lot, though.  Great to have everyone else back. Sorry it's going to be the end. 

Share Post

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

I know Miguel’s mom from somewhere; I’ll have to look her up.

Season 2 of 24. 

God, Page is annoying. 

Share Post

10 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I missed the first 4 minutes, did they actually make Buzz an offical Major Crimes Detective? That doesn't seem fair since most cops have to work their way IP from the bottom and put time in with other departments before getting a shot at Major Crimes. 

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

No.  With so many people to interview, and Sanchez being on bereavement leave, they were short on detectives, so Sharon asked Buzz to step in.  Which is some serious "oh, please" stuff on its own, but it did not rise to the level of him being part of the squad on an official/regular basis.

Buzz remains a civilian employee of the LAPD who has been with Priority Homicide/Major Crimes Division for some time, He is also a reserve LAPD officer with full police powers in the State of California. As a reserve he was asked to step in officially using his officer's badge and not the civilian employee badge. Lieutenant Provenza calling him "detective" was more his form of humor since he always gives Buzz the side eye when he brings up the lessons from training.

Maybe it is the first case since Commander Raydor's promotion but I failed the see any increased responsibilities or changes in the unit since she was a Captain. Perhaps I can pick something up on a re-watching.  But i did notice that Lieutenant Flynn said he could not go into the field without his commanding officer present. Since they repeated the last season finale just before I guess he got disciplined after Force Investigations looked at him pistol whipping the bomber

Share Post

Love, love, love, this show so much!  I am devastated that it is being dumped after this season (probably to make room for some stupidity with vampires or the like).  I don't understand why the entertainment powers that be discount shows that appeal to people 50 and older.  It's not as if people in that age group don't have money to spend on advertised stuff.   And one of the things that I like about Major Crimes is that it features people across age groups: Rusty the late teen, Sykes and Nolan who are probably in their 30s, Julio and Buzz 40s maybe and then Sharon followed by Andy and Provenza.  The women look professional and aren't dressed like sex pots or as if they just rolled out of bed (NCIS take note).  Gay people are presented in a positive and normal light.  The team gets along well and you don't have someone  on the team acting like an asshole just to create fake drama.  And THIS is the show TNT is dumping because the viewership is too old!  

Well, guess I'll enjoy it while it lasts and so far, so good with this episode.   

Share Post

41 minutes ago, 12catcrazy said:

And THIS is the show TNT is dumping because the viewership is too old! 

It happened with Harry's Law too.  Really good show, but sadly with an older audience.

So this is the final season - so does the final season include the winter episodes AND the summer episodes?  Or is the winter episodes the final?

Share Post

This was a good start to the premature final season. I thought they did a great job of setting things up clearly - hopefully they have learned from previous multi-episode cases about keeping the various suspects and other players distinct and avoid getting overly convoluted with red herrings and complicated plots. I also thought the actors and writers were really at the top of their games. They know these characters so well and do a great job of combining seriously dark drama with some lighter moments. While Mary McDonnell and G.W. Bailey gave their usual brilliant performances and got the "biggest" scenes what really stood out to me was the great job Michael Paul Chan and Tony Dennison did with the subtle moments showing the combination of dread and resignation. The episode avoided the usual pitfalls with certain elements (Rusty, Buzz as reserve officer, Sharon's home life, Stroh) and there was only one real clunker. The new detective was just so obnoxious and overly broad and felt like she wandered in from another show. And while I would love to see a Brooklyn 99 crossover this wasn't the time. Especially since they just did this "not a team player" thing with the last new detective and did much better and more believably. If they can live up to this standard for the entire season at least we'll have some consolation in that they will be going out at the top of their game.

Share Post

5 hours ago, starri said:

Season 2 of 24. 

No, I never watched that.  It turns out she was on L&O: SVU for several episodes as a crime scene tech. 

9 minutes ago, roughing it said:

So this is the final season - so does the final season include the winter episodes AND the summer episodes?  Or is the winter episodes the final?

These 13 episodes are it; it ends in January.

7 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

This was a good start to the premature final season. I thought they did a great job of setting things up clearly - hopefully they have learned from previous multi-episode cases about keeping the various suspects and other players distinct and avoid getting overly convoluted with red herrings and complicated plots.

Yeah, like I said, with four more episodes to go with this story, maybe I'll wind up getting lost, but so far I like the way they're setting up the various stories; I hope they have, indeed, worked out their multi-part episode kinks and we'll get three really good story arcs for the final <sob> season.

I understood what they were saying about five murders versus three (in terms of Stroh), but I laughed because it reminded me of Clue:

Three murders.
Six, altogether.
This is getting serious.

Share Post

Where's is Julio? I hope that he's not gone for most of the season. I too was seriously bummed about the cancelation. Apparently TNT has decided that shows with a lot of T&A are superior to a show like this no matter what the ratings say. 

Share Post

18 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

I think the flu is just the flu. It's another aspect of working life; sometimes you have to go in when you aren't 100%. And I like Rusty trying to take care of his Mom as much as he can -- parents can be foolish about their own health, especially as they're getting older and still see themselves in the caregiving role to their children, when they have to be, to a degree, invincible. Props to Mary, I thought Sharon was going to hurl all through the last scene from a combo of the death and being sick. Really glad she didn't though, I hate how sometime in the past decade or so showing onscreen vomiting on TV has become acceptable.

I think the flu is just the flu. I also think that eventually it will lead to a break in the case. Someone from the school mentioned the flu had been going around the school. I suspect Sharon will eventually need to go to the doctor and something in the appointment will give her a clue to what is going on with the boys.

Share Post

22 hours ago, Bastet said:

know Miguel’s mom from somewhere; I’ll have to look her up.

7 hours ago, Bastet said:

she was on L&O: SVU for several episodes as a crime scene tech. 

I also know Paula Garcés from Wharehouse 13 and the cancelled-too-soon (IMO at the time) Defying Gravity.

I agree with most everything upthread about it being a strong episode, and I too am relieved that it seems to be a much more clear start to the multi-episode arc than the previous attempt.

It looks like Raymond Cruz/Julio might have been filming a pilot with a huge cast: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5715524/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Share Post

12 hours ago, Raja said:

Maybe it is the first case since Commander Raydor's promotion but I failed the see any increased responsibilities or changes in the unit since she was a Captain. Perhaps I can pick something up on a re-watching.  But i did notice that Lieutenant Flynn said he could not go into the field without his commanding officer present. Since they repeated the last season finale just before I guess he got disciplined after Force Investigations looked at him pistol whipping the bomber

There wouldn't necessarily be any increased responsibilities or changes - the promotion was a recognition of a job well done and the unit's elite status. It would give her a pay raise and elevate her standing when dealing with other units. Just as in the corporate world you might have an Assistant Vice President, Vice President, or a Senior Vice President running a division at the same level of the org chart depending on the business unit's size, location, importance, or profitability and how long the executive had been with the company, all with essentially the same responsibilities. My own boss just got a title bump without any changes other than new business cards and a fancy letter of congratulations. As far as Flynn is concerned I thought he was still not cleared medically to go into the field and that is what they were referring to?

Edited by wknt3.

Share Post

54 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

There wouldn't necessarily be any increased responsibilities or changes - the promotion was a recognition of a job well done and the unit's elite status. It would give her a pay raise and elevate her standing when dealing with other units. Just as in the corporate world you might have an Assistant Vice President, Vice President, or a Senior Vice President running a division at the same level of the org chart depending on the business unit's size, location, importance, or profitability and how long the executive had been with the company, all with essentially the same responsibilities. My own boss just got a title bump without any changes other than new business cards and a fancy letter of congratulations. As far as Flynn is concerned I thought he was still not cleared medically to go into the field and that is what they were referring to?

Only Chief Mason specifically said all over the promos that he intends increased responsibility and not just a political bump. Serving to separate what Commander Raydor earned compared to what Chief Johnson and then Commander Taylor got politically.

Perhaps medical clearance was the reason for the scene but it seems strange that Lieutenant you need the division commander with you if you leave the office because of your medical condition. Compared to LT Flynn you are under a less severe punishment then a suspension so you need a baby sitter with the rank to tell you to stop in order to roll out of the office to the crime scene.

Edited by Raja.

Share Post

This was a good episode to start the season, even though I'm upset that we are getting all serialized stories instead of the normal stand alone episodes and I'm really pissed that TNT is canceling the show and giving it a different styled final season, but I enjoyed this episode and yeah it wasn't overly complex or hard to follow. At times I had trouble keeping the 3 boys and their families straight, but overall I greatly enjoyed the episode and think this storyline is going to be very good. 

Lots of suspects , I'm not sure how this will turn out. One boy's stepdad was a cartel member while his bio dad has a new family that doesn't know about his son, another's dad is a drug addicted surgeon and the other boy's parents are the illegal immigrants with the unexplained cash in the closet. We also have the racist asshole neighbor and the suspicious priest. Lots of suspects but it is a very interesting storyline and I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out, I like that the episode still had the feel of a regular MC episode, I just hope it doesn't get too complex as it goes on. 

What the hell is going on about Julio? Is the actor doing something else and unavailable to film? When will he be back? And I thought it was a cheap ploy to kill off Mrs Sanchez off screen and with little explanation ( did she die of the flu or what, I couldn't tell ). Very disrespectful to Julio's character to not get to see him deal with losing his mom and he was sorely missed, especially since he would be particularly useful on this case as a Hispanic and a devout Catholic, he could relate more to the people involved and provide insight. Really pissed me off he wasn't there, especially since we don't have many episodes left. 

Provenza was awesome as always, loved him sending the media after the racist asshole neighbor and also that he was willing to clash with Mason, classic Provenza, never afraid to challenge his superiors or piss people off. 

I'm liking Mason a lot as well, he fits in very well as the new chief and I look forward to seeing how his interactions with the team continue. 

Flynn is still out of the field? Holy shit, it seems it would be time for him to return by now, he seems to have been out of action for ages now. 

The new detective needs to be toned down, she is too cartoonish and feels very out of place on the show. The only redeeming factor was her relationship with Provenza, that was cool, I liked that connection and it humanized the character. 

Too much of Buzz as a detective, I'm fine with him playing a bigger role but he's just not qualified to be doing as much as he was doing. 

I definitely think a health crisis is coming up for Sharon, obviously the flu thing is more than it appears, I just hope this doesn't cause unnecessary melodrama. 

I thought the MSNBC, CNN and FOX parodies on the TV news were both funny and very accurate. 

Overall I think this is a good storyline and I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out. Just don't let it get too complex and please bring Julio back ASAP. I just have to say again how pissed off I am at TNT that MC is not only being canceled but gets a totally different final season that looks like it will be more 3 long movies than a TV season. This show is still high quality TV with good fans and ratings, and TNT cancels it because it isn't "trendy" enlighten for their dumbasses who want the network to only have serial dramas centered around criminal scumbags. FUCK YOU TNT!!! I just hope the quality of MC holds up this season, and I was pleased overall with the first episode.

Share Post

Hate this is the last season but if this first episode is any indication maybe it's time to quit. Good story line but the characters seemed lost and not their normal selves.

1. The only thing you can say about the new deputy chief he's better than Winnie Davis.

2. Same Rusty, same BS. Still need to FF through his scenes.

3. Provenza seems the same.

4. Lots of quizzical looks from Sharon.

5. I know the writers need to close the Stroh storyline but my plan is to FF though all it.

6. Still a great show but the first show was a struggle

Share Post

I wonder if perhaps the reason Sharon needed to be onscreen was because she had been ordered to treat the case as a Critical Missing.  We saw a few of those on The Closer, and there was always a huge rollout.  Brenda would be on the scene regardless, but I remember Taylor and even Pope being there.

Share Post

2 hours ago, starri said:

I wonder if perhaps the reason Sharon needed to be onscreen was because she had been ordered to treat the case as a Critical Missing.  We saw a few of those on The Closer, and there was always a huge rollout.  Brenda would be on the scene regardless, but I remember Taylor and even Pope being there.

Chief Johnson rolled on every case. She was brought in because Robbery Homicide failures. Commander Raydor let Lieutenant Provenza do his job as incident commander 

Share Post

2 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Does anyone know when Julio will be back?

I can't find any info on that.  His bereavement leave is only supposed to last a few more days, but with this case playing out over five episodes, we could go through another couple of episodes before a few days have passed in the story.  I'm hoping Raymond Cruz's scheduling conflict was only for the first week of filming, or two at the most; I missed Julio in this episode.  It just felt wrong for one of them not to be there.

And I thought it was a cheap ploy to kill off Mrs Sanchez off screen and with little explanation ( did she die of the flu or what, I couldn't tell ).

That's what the priest seemed to indicate. 

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

6 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Here is what Raymond Cruz it up to.  Maybe this is the reason for his absence.        It seems to be a spinoff of Sons of Anarchy.                               http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5715524/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

Blech.  I could live without that, although I liked Sons of Anarchy the first season or so.  Thanks for the info, though.

Share Post

In reply to this line:

Stroh made a clean getaway. No one has spotted him anywhere, have they?

—I really wanted someone to reply something about Stroh being at the Zoo. It could have been a double or even triple entendre, referring to the show of that title in which Billy Burke's been staring, a reference to Rusty having been abandoned at a zoo by his mother and her boyfriend (which lead indirectly to Rusty being in a location to see Stroh disposing of a body), and something could have been mentioned about Stroh being an animal, so he was likely to be at the zoo.

Share Post

On ‎01‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 2:09 AM, PinkRibbons said:

It shouldn't be this hard for Rusty to say, "Mom, I want a gun." I feel like I said two seasons ago that they needed to arm Rusty and get him a concealed weapons permit. If he was my kid I would have had him at the gun range as soon as Stroh was confirmed to have escaped custody.

I'm actually wondering if giving Rusty a gun would really lead to Sharon not wanting him to have bodyguards. Shooting at a target on a range is one thing. Shooting at a moving target another. And shooting at a human is a whole different matter. Then there's hitting the target to at least, disable them, and doing so under duress, and the ability to remain calm if you are threatened by someone who has a lot more experience in killing than you have. And, of course, Rusty wouldn't be allowed to freeze either.

So, I find it mildly ridiculous that teaching Rusty to shoot would eviscerate the need for trained bodyguards.

On ‎01‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 2:09 AM, PinkRibbons said:

And I thought it was interesting that they made a point of showing a shot of Cami (whom I *do not* like so far, even if she is sweet with Provenza) releasing her holster so she could get to her gun more easily.

Why? She was preparing for being confronted by a man with a gun since the neighbor had the second amendment sign next to his door and they already knew that he was a troublemaker.

On ‎31‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 10:03 PM, Bastet said:

I love Provenza’s revenge on the racist neighbor, and Sharon’s face when he tried to blow Mason off about it.

My favorite part of the episode and one of my favorites from the whole show! Provenza spelling the name to the media to make sure that they got it and Sharon's look, absolutely priceless!

I haven't made up my mind about the new girl. Not sure why her addition is necessary but that's another subject. So far, she seems to have a problem with respecting the chain of command/her superior officers rather than not being a team player. If that continues, I certainly hope that someone will put her into her place. Well, Provenza already did, sort of, so that's a start.

Why was she sorting pens though? Or rather, why was that significant? Does she have an OCD or was she just bored?

I'm not sure what to think about Sharon's flu. I don't know if I had read anything into it had I not read this thread before watching the episode. It all seemed pretty harmless until the final scene but I don't know how much of that was desperation because they had lost one of the boys and had no clue where to look for the others while Stroh was lurking and how much of that was supposed to be the flu.

As I said elsewhere, I could see it developing into something more serious, but if it's a set-up for a more serious diagnosis it would seem odd as the flu was an ongoing scheme throughout the episode. It wasn't just Sharon who couldn't shake it, it was persistent and had gotten a hold of others, too.

I definitely would have liked an explanation as to why Andy can't go into the field without his CO. Is it still because of medical reasons or because of his little "field trip" from the S5 finale? The latter makes more sense.

On a shallow note, I'm not a fan of Sharon's hair. Or at least, the way they had styled it in this episode. I found it distracting. And who decided Sharon needed a yellow couch and this one, no less? ;-) Overall, it seems a pity tough to rebuild and modernize just for 13 episodes.  

Share Post

They cannot cancel this show ! It's by far my favorite thing on TV!

I love all the regulars so much, I don't need a missing persons detective to take away their screen time/dialogue. ( tho she was cute with Provenza........no, Provenza was cute with her !)

Share Post

There is something about the one stepdad who fell to his death that must have something to do with this. I can't figure it out tho.

Share Post

5 hours ago, rhys said:

There is something about the one stepdad who fell to his death that must have something to do with this. I can't figure it out tho.

Kid maybe killed him to get into his gang? To his drugs? Lucas may have been collateral damage due to his diabetis.

Share Post

On November 2, 2017 at 5:16 AM, Xeliou66 said:

Lots of suspects , I'm not sure how this will turn out. One boy's stepdad was a cartel member while his bio dad has a new family that doesn't know about his son, another's dad is a drug addicted surgeon and the other boy's parents are the illegal immigrants with the unexplained cash in the closet. We also have the racist asshole neighbor…. 

And there's the arc title, "Sanctuary City." Was LA a designated sanctuary city when this was written and filmed? Is LA a sanctuary city now (http://beta.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-la-sanctuary-city-20170909-story.html)? And WTH is the beta.latimes.com?

12 hours ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

she was cute with Provenza........no, Provenza was cute with her !)

You got that right. I've missed the Provenza & Flynn shenanigans since the Sharon & Andy thing developed. Guess the New Kid On The Block is going to provide us with a foil for imProvenzaiations.

Share Post

Okay so I'm not crazy. I knew I didn't remember Julio's mother dying last season. Nothing serious better be wrong with Sharon, dammit!

I actually quite liked Buzz in this one. He was taking things very seriously.

On 11/1/2017 at 11:30 AM, 12catcrazy said:

Love, love, love, this show so much!  I am devastated that it is being dumped after this season (probably to make room for some stupidity with vampires or the like).  I don't understand why the entertainment powers that be discount shows that appeal to people 50 and older.  It's not as if people in that age group don't have money to spend on advertised stuff.   And one of the things that I like about Major Crimes is that it features people across age groups: Rusty the late teen, Sykes and Nolan who are probably in their 30s, Julio and Buzz 40s maybe and then Sharon followed by Andy and Provenza.  The women look professional and aren't dressed like sex pots or as if they just rolled out of bed (NCIS take note).  Gay people are presented in a positive and normal light.  The team gets along well and you don't have someone  on the team acting like an asshole just to create fake drama.  And THIS is the show TNT is dumping because the viewership is too old!  

Well, guess I'll enjoy it while it lasts and so far, so good with this episode.   

From this "old" person: Wordy McWord.

Share Post

Heh; I didn't notice last week that the daughter of the racist neighbor, Marvin Garrett, is named Kelly.  Kelly Garrett, as in one of Charlie's Angels.

I also didn't notice that Leonard Roberts and Jessica Meraz are listed ahead of Daniel Di Tomasso in the new credits, even though he's been there longer.

Sharon's reaction to learning Rusty is stalking Gus's boss via Instagram is fabulous (second only to her reaction to Provenza blowing off Mason).  That's a cute scene overall, with him bringing her food.  It's nice characterization that Andy and Rusty are both worried about Sharon not being able to shake the flu and want her to get checked out, but Andy doesn't push while Rusty does, without success; pitch perfect for all three characters.

I like the morphing of Sharon's "Why the hell are you interrupting my interrogation over the death of some woman in Arizona?" frustration to "Oh shit, he, or at least his accomplice, is getting closer" apprehension when Andrea explains she used to be Stroh's stepmother.  Rusty asking to learn to shoot should be interesting; it's not something I'd normally endorse, but there are already two guns in the condo, and he has matured, so maybe it's not a bad idea.

It's convenient that Julio is on leave, because, otherwise, they couldn't have written the scene where Miguel's parents speak to each other in Spanish (about the money hidden under their closet floor) and, d'oh!, Buzz understands; they wouldn't have done that if Julio was there.

Andy's return to field duty must be the slowest in the history of the LAPD; at least he can finally be there with Sharon, and she's supposed to be in the field more this season.

Every time TNT airs a promo for "the final season," I get irritated all over again.

Share Post

On 11/1/2017 at 0:17 PM, wknt3 said:

This was a good start to the premature final season. I thought they did a great job of setting things up clearly - hopefully they have learned from previous multi-episode cases about keeping the various suspects and other players distinct and avoid getting overly convoluted with red herrings and complicated plots.

I just got home from travelling and watched the first two episodes, and I laughed out loud at this!  I literally sat down with a piece of paper when this episode started to build my own "murder board", if you will, for this multi-arc plot.  I got so lost during the last five-parter they did, I had to sit down and chart out everything at one point.....I'm sure I looked like Carrie from Homeland Season 1 when trying to put that chart together after 4 episodes:) 

I'm going to miss this show.  

Share Post

I love this show. I so hope that Duff finds another outlet for it and can keep the gang together. It is too good to leave. 

I remember Jessica Meraz from Chasing Life. She reminds me a bit of Emma Rios, the DA, who I could not stand. 

Not sure what is being foreshadowed with Sharon's flu but it is being done with such a heavy hand that something must be there. 

Share Post

On 10/31/2017 at 10:03 PM, Bastet said:

I’m not sure what they’re doing with Sharon’s flu; the flu is never just the flu on TV.  Yes, other characters are battling it too, but they're paying more attention to hers. 

On 10/31/2017 at 10:03 PM, Bastet said:

They killed off Mrs. Sanchez?! 

It seems like the precinct is really bad with flu shots, if three detectives had the flu.  Also, a senior like Mrs. Sanchez should have definitely had the shot.  Even if the shot didn't have the exact correct strain, it should have minimized the degree of illness.

Share Post

so I've seen the last 4 episodes (conspiracy theory 3 and 4 and by any means 1 and 2) but hadn't seen this episode til today.  Am home from work caring for a sick parent and still working my way through old episodes.  I could do without Buzz playing detective, he's by far the weakest actor in the cast and I don't need more of him, but his "I need a tie" thing was cute as was the high five Tao gave him.  I'm indifferent so far to the new detective.  She looks awfully young though.  When I glimpsed her in the final scene of conspiracy theory 4 I was confused, like "why is some 15 year old girl holding Provenza's hand?"  I gather people don't like her and I don't particularly want to get attached to anyone new this close to the end of the show anyway.  I'm here for the old characters that I love and no one else needs to clutter up my screen unless they're important to the plot, thanks.

I liked the feel of the episode, it did feel very much like a regular episode and just reminded me why I'm going to miss this show.  Good sense of tension leading up to the last scene, and the characters' reactions to finding the dead teen were very well done.  The look Sharon gave Provenza when he gave the new Chief attitude was priceless.  And Provenza's bit about "the first time I found someone with a million dollars in cash....it was drugs.  and the second time...come to think of it that was drugs, too"  was hilarious.  I was also amused by Rusty's line about "I got you that horrible quinoa thing you like."  Sharon would SO eat that.

On 11/1/2017 at 0:30 PM, 12catcrazy said:

one of the things that I like about Major Crimes is that it features people across age groups: Rusty the late teen, Sykes and Nolan who are probably in their 30s, Julio and Buzz 40s maybe and then Sharon followed by Andy and Provenza.  The women look professional and aren't dressed like sex pots or as if they just rolled out of bed (NCIS take note).  Gay people are presented in a positive and normal light. 

This exactly, is one of the things I love about this show.  Not just the diversity of age, race and other groups, but also the fact that most of the characters look like people as opposed to perfect models.  (Ok, Sykes is drop dead gorgeous, but other than her).  Like, Sharon is beautiful imo but in a real-person way as opposed to a TV person way.  It creates a very real, textured world that it's easy to get pulled into.

Edited by kilda.

Share Post

On 11/1/2017 at 0:30 PM, 12catcrazy said:

Tao before Sharon?

Share Post

2 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Tao before Sharon?

Stick Lieutenant Tao between Detective Sanchez and Lieutenant Flynn with college student  kids that  his TV consulting is paying for

Share Post