S29.E04: Treehouse of Horror XXVIII 2017.10.22

Maggie becomes possessed by an ancient demon; Lisa discovers a perfect version of her family in an alternate universe; Homer cannibalizes himself.

Share Post

Watching this made me realize they have never done an Exorcist spoof before.  Surprised it took this long.  Was pretty good, actually.

And like Lisa said, that quality of animation for their Coraline spoof was excellent.

And was it wrong that I got hungry watching the last segment?  Not for me, per se, but...

Share Post

The Sweets Hereafter: This was cute and funny. Like Sausage Party, yet not as disturbing. Of course Lisa was an apple and Bart was a Butterfinger. Also, blink and you'll miss it Kang & Kodos cameo.

The Exor-sis: It took em long enough to spoof The Exorcist. It was pretty funny, but not much happened in it. Of course Pazuzu jumps into Bart and of course Bart immediately starts barking orders at it. 

Coralisa: Coraline was an interesting idea for a spoof. Loved that there was a callback to Pazuzu. And hi Neil Gaiman as Snowball. Bleh, the buttons are just as disturbing in this version as in Coraline. I really loved the designs of the Other Family.

"For a Halloween middle segment, this is amazing!" The last good one was Time & Punishment, maybe a few others.

MMM...Homer: Wow, they weren't kidding, this was a weird and gross one, but definitely inspired. Literal self-destructive behavior, and I would've thought Homer would be too fat, but apparently all the crap he eats made himself taste good, I guess? I loved that Mario Batali of all people wanted to cook him (and Barney & Comic Book Guy).

All in all, I would rank this "not the worst one."

Share Post

As far as TreeHouse of Horrors go, this was not that great.

While the first act was ok, since it lingered into the 2nd act (Maggie still has a touch of the Pazuzu), I didn't really get the point of the buttons, since I've never seen Coraline.  Did they have working eyes (and mouths, and other body parts behind the buttons) ? Since they seemed to want to sew them on to Lisa and Homer.  And how come Snowball wasn't required to get buttons sewn on his eyes ?

Would that make Homer an auto-cannibal ?  Since he ate himself (and didn't eat cars).  Even with filler from CBG and others, how could Homer's body provide content for that many restaurant chains -- AND -- Chez Homer ?

Share Post

1 minute ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Even with filler from CBG and others, how could Homer's body provide content for that many restaurant chains -- AND -- Chez Homer ?

Probably all the horse meat.

That's the problem with the short runtime of the segments, not enough time to go into detail about anything.

Share Post

How could I have missed the annual Kang & Kodos cameo?!? Damn my old, non-button eyes!

Thanks to Futurama I expected Pazuzu to have a French accent. 

That third act seriously disturbed me. 

Share Post

I liked the structure of this special, it reminded me of THOH V: Movie spoof (Shinning), Unsettling but funny (Time & Punishment) and Dark & gross story about cannibalism (Nightmare Cafeteria). There was even a running thread. In THOH V, it was Willie getting axed in the back. Here, it was Pazuzu.

Share Post

I thought it was pretty funny that Ben Daniels was the voice of the Exorcist, as soon as they mentioned needing to get an exorcist I said to myself, "They should have Ben Daniels do the voice," and then he did! (He stars on FOX's TV version of "The Exorcist.")

(And William Friedkin was in the 3rd segment as the psychiatrist!)

Share Post

1 hour ago, Kaboom 2.0 said:

That third act seriously disturbed me. 

1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

I liked the structure of this special, it reminded me of THOH V: Movie spoof (Shinning), Unsettling but funny (Time & Punishment) and Dark & gross story about cannibalism (Nightmare Cafeteria). There was even a running thread. In THOH V, it was Willie getting axed in the back. Here, it was Pazuzu.

I had no problem with Skinner and the teachers eating the kids, but Homer eating himself was just too gross to be entertaining. 

Share Post

Snowball has always been a girl!

I actually enjoyed this, the candy segement was pretty dark, poor bunny.

Edited by Megan.

Share Post

1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

I had no problem with Skinner and the teachers eating the kids, but Homer eating himself was just too gross to be entertaining. 

I'm the opposite, Nightmare Cafeteria freaked the hell out of me for years, while I feel they didn't go far enough to show Homer eating himself.

Share Post

Lisa coming out in black and white to warn us that the segment coming up was really horrible was an hommage to the similar prologue of the original movie "Frankenstein" in 1931. I wondered whether it was just for that reason or whether they kind of meant it, and the latter was the case.

Stephen King wrote the self-eating plot in his short story "Survivor Type". There the autocannibalistic protagonist was a doctor, shipwrecked on a desert island with a huge amount of heroin he had been trying to smuggle, so he had (a) the knowledge to procure the pieces, (b) the means to dull the pain. (And (c) a temperament that made us able to watch him destroy himself with complacency rather than empathy.) This being the world of animation, pain was not an issue and it was all joy for Homer. Interesting to see how he looked with a slim waist on his way down to nothing.

Share Post

On 10/22/2017 at 5:33 PM, Galileo908 said:

The Sweets Hereafter: This was cute and funny. Like Sausage Party, yet not as disturbing. Of course Lisa was an apple and Bart was a Butterfinger. Also, blink and you'll miss it Kang & Kodos cameo.

Thank you!  I came here thinking this was the first year with no Kang & Kodos.  Which was disappointing!  But I will take the blink-and-you-miss-it cameo.

That makes it a still unbroken run for Kang or Kodos in every TOH, right?  Though, like this year, sometimes only on a technicality -- I'd like to both see AND hear them each Halloween!  Doesn't have to be a lot!  I'd take one line!  I was also annoyed that one TOH where we only heard one of them as an announcer for a second.

I though this year was a strong outing.  My only real issues were with the last segment, which I found upsetting in this weird, visceral way.  In 28 years I'd say this is the first time I would describe any TOH segment as "upsetting."  None of the other gruesomeness has bothered me, but this one got under my skin... which is not entirely a bad thing.  I like that it pushed the boundaries, though I didn't actually like watching it!

Share Post

I just saw this episode as part of the marathon. Mmm...Homer was very unsettling ? for me. It was pretty gross. I was surprised that they could surprise me like this after almost 30 years.

Share Post