Season 1 Discussion

Is anyone watching this but me?  I LOVE it.  I was thinking it wasn't getting much attention because it's promoted as a "military" show, but it's more of a soapy Upstairs-Downstairs British period drama.  I think the military portions are being added very organically--e.g. the rationing has been mentioned but isn't affecting the hotel too much yet, the Austrian Jewish refugee seems a little too "Germanic" to the chef.   (I thought he'd be the chef's replacement after they established his credentials at the posh Austrian hotel, but it's best he didn't step on everyone's toes on his way up the ladder, I suppose.)  It's so interesting how Great Britain ever so slowly got sucked up into WWII, and in the US it was more like, boom, Pearl Harbor, thundercats go.

They're doing a good job making Lady Hamilton mean as a snake and also somewhat sympathetic.

Glad that young Lord Hamilton, Freddie?, managed to find his footing--sorry, Lady Hamilton, women really have no power whatsoever, but then, you were willing to let The Halcyon fail, put a lot of people out of work, and then see if you had regrets about your misdirected vengeance. 

The twin brother's situation is unbearable.

I like the lead blonde character, she's spunky!  And like Lou Grant, I hate spunky, but so far so good, with her.  : )

Share Post

I am watching this show as well and I really enjoy it.  I am so glad they sacked the Chef.  It'll be interesting to see how they get to where someone blows up the Halcyon.  

Share Post

Yay!  Two of us!

Episode Five moved MANY characters forward.  I'll try not to be specific, for anyone who hasn't seen it.  (All-Episode threads can be tricky, especially with variations in programming for the "artsy" channels.)

I loved Lady Hamilton deciding to damn the rules and let her freak flag fly, as it were.  I don't think there's a chance in a million she'd have ever been so casual, given what we've seen of her, but I enjoyed whatever brief period of happiness they're going to let her have before she's inevitably punished for that "sin."

Go, Toby.  Obviously your happiness is doomed to be short-lived, just like your mother's, so gather ye those rosebuds.

Okay, Freddie.  You managed to have the sense God gave a rock for all of one episode before turning into an idiot again.

Richard Garland, I did not see that coming.   I thought they were giving him a very predictable storyline about his struggle not to compromise his honor with an unavailable woman.  Glad I was wrong--he deserves something as meaty as that huge secret. 

And how great was his warning to young Lord Hamilton?  (Although I don't think that would have happened, in that rarified society, either.)

Share Post

I don't normally like Lady Hamilton but I did feel so bad for her at the wedding reception when her so-called friend let it out that they all knew her husband liked the younger ladies.  You could see the betrayal all over her face.  I guess she figures if they are going to talk about her then she might as well have some fun.  

It's hard to watch Toby's story because you know there isn't going to be a happy ending at the end of it because of how people thought back then.  I so badly want him to find happiness with the waiter but we all know that won't happen.

Freddie, Freddie, Freddie, why do you have to be so stupid?  I guess we will be seeing Emma with O'Hara now.  I do think they've had sparks of chemistry but I really had my heart set on her with the young Lord Hamilton breaking societies rules.  Sigh.  

I LOVED Richard telling Lord Hamilton to stay away but I really did not understand that whole back story on him.  So he saved the deserter by killing the guy sent to find him and then they snuck back to England under assumed names...is that correct?  Was he a deserter to or was he part of the search party to find the deserter?  Who was the lady he was helping?  I completely missed who she was to him.  Was she the widow of the guy he killed?  

Share Post

The lady he was helping was a hotel employee -- the mother of Billy, who joined the army. (I only realized that in a letter episode.)

I am really enjoying this show, and am upset at the news that there is not likely to be a second season. It could have a great multi-season arc, with a natural ending at the end of the war.

Share Post

12 hours ago, Ltg.jon said:

The lady he was helping was a hotel employee -- the mother of Billy, who joined the army. (I only realized that in a letter episode.)

I am really enjoying this show, and am upset at the news that there is not likely to be a second season. It could have a great multi-season arc, with a natural ending at the end of the war.

Thank you Ltg!  I was so lost who that woman was but it makes sense now.

Where did you hear that there is unlikely to be another season?  Are the ratings that bad?  I am so bummed to hear it because I LOVE this show.  To be fair, there is hardly any advertising for it at all.  I think I just dumb lucked my way into finding it in the first place (maybe a promo during Versailles?).  Ovation isn't normally on people's radars but I think with a show like this it could have a slow build were it becomes popular as word of mouth spreads.  Even my husband loves the show.  He had only sat through a half hour and he was already telling me he is hooked and wants to start watching (I was 3 episodes in before he sat down and started watching).  

Share Post