All Episodes Talk: Running and Baking

2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Any suggestions from you fine folks would be appreciated!  

Check to see how old your baking powder is. That's one product that goes bad with time and it loses its power.

Share Post

Thanks, BoffoDaWonderS… I'll double check it.  I don't think I've been rolling it thick enough though.  I think that's just one of my problems!  I'll recheck my basic ingredients for expiration dates though.  Sometimes things sit in the pantry longer that I realize!  

Edited by ChitChat.

Share Post

Jeremy, the "s" in macerated is silent, as in it doesn't exist.

Also, don't make excuses by citing a failed first dish.  The judges care about what's in front of them, not what's in the bin.

I can't for the life of me understand why the show doesn't supply enough ingredients/equipment.  The contestants have to share mascarpone?  Piping tips?

Share Post

49 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Jeremy, the "s" in macerated is silent, as in it doesn't exist.

Also, don't make excuses by citing a failed first dish.  The judges care about what's in front of them, not what's in the bin.

I can't for the life of me understand why the show doesn't supply enough ingredients/equipment.  The contestants have to share mascarpone?  Piping tips?

Adds to the draaaaaaaaaaaaaaama.?

Share Post

Does anyone know the technique for lemon curd biscuits?  I assume they made a flour biscuit and not puff pastry.  Could you inject lemon curd into the biscuits like a cupcake?  I so want to try to make these but I'm puzzled about how to do it.  Saw some online recipes where they slathered the curd on top of the biscuit like a scone.  Would you just dump the strawberries on top of that?

Share Post

4 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

Adds to the draaaaaaaaaaaaaaama.?

I know, I'm just disappointed I suppose.  It's no GBBS, but is closer than pretty much anything else and I wish they didn't have to add stupidness.

Share Post

Is Adam a one-trick pony with his cylindrical desserts?  I'm surprised that none of the judges mentioned that he'd already done that.

Share Post

My DVR cut off right after the strawberry shortcake challenge. Can someone tell me what the second challenge was and who was booted? Thank you in advance!

Share Post

8 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

My DVR cut off right after the strawberry shortcake challenge. Can someone tell me what the second challenge was and who was booted? Thank you in advance!

They had to make a dessert representing fire and ice.  I have forgotten who was booted.  I am not fond of the French contestant.  Sure he is employed as a pastry chef but that does not automatically make him better.  Are all college grads automatically smarter than those without degrees?  NOPE. 

Edited by Wings.

Share Post

2 minutes ago, Wings said:

I have forgotten who was booted. 

Jeremy Fogg, Pastry Chef of Emeril’s New Orleans.

Share Post

Thanks for the update, guys! I'm not surprised Jeremy went. He seemed to be struggling.

Share Post

I felt sorry for Jeremy.  He seemed like a nice guy and he must be good at what he does if he's the pastry chef for Emeril but he needed to be put out of his misery.  My guess is that the pressure and time constraints did him in.  He probably doesn't have those problems when he can work at his own pace.

Share Post

6 hours ago, mlp said:

I felt sorry for Jeremy.  He seemed like a nice guy and he must be good at what he does if he's the pastry chef for Emeril but he needed to be put out of his misery.  My guess is that the pressure and time constraints did him in.  He probably doesn't have those problems when he can work at his own pace.

A common problem --he was trying too hard to impress with too many techniques in the allotted time.  The contest is a balance of skill and strategy.  Face it they'd all probably knock it out of the park if they had plenty of time to make the dessert.

Share Post

I like that Marcella, unlike Giata and Lorraine, actually takes good bites of the food instead of just scraping her fork on her teeth.

Share Post

First round is Boston Cream pie.  That was my oldest son’s favorite desert so I made one every year when he lived at home.  I like them too.  The chocolate icing was a bitch.  You have to remove it from the heat at just the right time.  It gave me profound respect for bakers.  Even making them all those years and still do on occasion I had to redo the icing a number of times.  

Apple cheese cake.  Doesn’t call to me though I love cheese cake. 

7 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

I like that Marcella, unlike Giata and Lorraine, actually takes good bites of the food instead of just scraping her fork on her teeth.

Yes! 

Share Post

I figured Adam took on too much in the cheesecake challenge.  As soon as he said that he was making a second, no-bake cheesecake, I quietly yelled at my TV "No!! Do the required one cheesecake, and definitely not a second no-bake one!"  Less is more with this challenge!  At least he didn't get sent home over it.  I really wanted to taste the bourbon cheesecake that won.  That looked yummy!

Share Post

Adam making a no-bake cheesecake on top of a New York-style cheesecake was really dumb, but why did he throw out the first batch when the cylinder collapsed? He could've just poured the still-liquid cheesecake into a new piping bag and put it in a new cylinder.

It looked like a yule log.

Share Post

1 hour ago, Wings said:

Apple cheese cake.  Doesn’t call to me though I love cheese cake.

When I was a kid, one of the bars that was made for potlucks was an Apple cream cheese streusel bar. (I don't know if that's the actual bar but it was similar.)  It was delicious and the apple and cream cheese worked really well together.

But I don't know if I would like a lot of apple with a lot of cheesecake.  I'd need another textural element.

Share Post

If Becca says “Shan-tee” one more time, I will scream.  I’m sure Becca would state that somewhere it is pronounced that way but it sounds so pretentious to me when she says it.  She annoys the hell out of me (hate that stupid nose ring) and I was so hoping the first challenge would be an indicator that tonight was her good-bye.  But kudos where due, her second project was very, very well done.  

Glad Leigh went home with her un-set cheesecake.  That was the right decision for departures.  Adam wayyyy overdid tonight and it bit him in the rear — I’m glad he was safe.

I like the wee Frenchman — he is a delight to me.  And he is the executive pastry chef at one of my favorite places in the US so I root for him.  They all give him such a good-natured, hard time about being tiny and French and finishing a little early — it seems like he’s easy to joke around with.

Share Post

Adam is clearly talented and skillful and I'm sure he's a master of many techniques but he really needs to stop with the cylinders.  He's already proved to the judges that he can make them and the repetition isn't doing him any favors.  That giant cylinder on top of his baked cheesecake looked very clunky.

I was hoping Becca would be sent home.  Watching someone with a nose ring work with food almost turns my stomach.  She seems like a nice person but I really hate looking at her.

Share Post

6 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

If Becca says “Shan-tee” one more time, I will scream.  I’m sure Becca would state that somewhere it is pronounced that way but it sounds so pretentious to me when she says it.

I had no idea it was "supposed" to be said that way (is that French pronunciation?). But I have NEVER heard it said that way here in the US. Pretentious indeed. 

Share Post

5 hours ago, mlp said:

Watching someone with a nose ring work with food almost turns my stomach.  She seems like a nice person but I really hate looking at her.

Watching sweat roll down the guys' faces while they work feverishly over their desserts is what grosses me out.  

Share Post

6 hours ago, mlp said:

Adam is clearly talented and skillful and I'm sure he's a master of many techniques but he really needs to stop with the cylinders.  He's already proved to the judges that he can make them and the repetition isn't doing him any favors.  That giant cylinder on top of his baked cheesecake looked very clunky.

I don’t hate Adam but there was something very satisfying about watching a giant cylinder take him down. I was starting to sense some smugness too. 

Share Post

2 hours ago, dleighg said:

I had no idea it was "supposed" to be said that way (is that French pronunciation?). But I have NEVER heard it said that way here in the US. Pretentious indeed. 

I was distracted as I watched and missed this.  What is the real word she  mispronounced  when she said "shant-tee?"  

Share Post

20 minutes ago, Wings said:

What is the real word she  mispronounced  when she said "shant-tee?"  

Chantilly.

Share Post

1 hour ago, dleighg said:

Chantilly.

She said it last episode too and it just grated.  

Ok, I’m so curious/annoyed/dorky that I checked online about the pronunciation of Chantilly in both English and French.  

All have 3 syllables — either “shan-Till-ee” like we’ve always heard it in the US and in French, it’s “Shon-tee-yee”

The Chantilly pronunciation lesson for the morning...back to work.

Share Post

9 hours ago, mlp said:

I was hoping Becca would be sent home.  Watching someone with a nose ring work with food almost turns my stomach.  She seems like a nice person but I really hate looking at her.

Haven't watched yet but, Adam used a cylinder again?  Like I said, he's going to look like a one trick pony soon.  Adam, stop with the cylinders...please.  It's starting to look gimmicky.

Share Post

Adam's cylinder might not have been so bad if it hadn't been GIGANTIC!!! It totally overwhelmed the very modern, beautiful work he had done on the baked cheesecake. It just looked stupid.

eta: I thought Marcella's (female judge?) makeup and hair looked super harsh - I think someone applied it with a trowel.

Edited by Eliza422.

Share Post

30 minutes ago, Eliza422 said:

eta: I thought Marcella's (female judge?) makeup and hair looked super harsh - I think someone applied it with a trowel.

I agree -- I thought immediately of Elvira when I saw Marcella's outfit and makeup last night.  Not a good look for her.

Share Post

The swirl next to Lasheeda's Boston Cream Pie (did she even describe what it was?) just screamed to me "raw pork sausage," which is incredibly unappealing!

IMG-4578.JPG

Share Post

6 hours ago, Maya said:

I don’t hate Adam but there was something very satisfying about watching a giant cylinder take him down. I was starting to sense some smugness too. 

I called, "hubris" when he announced that one cheesecake was insufficient. Agreed he got too cocky. And someone needs to tell him there are other shapes. Enough cylinders!

2 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

Adam's cylinder might not have been so bad if it hadn't been GIGANTIC!!! It totally overwhelmed the very modern, beautiful work he had done on the baked cheesecake. It just looked stupid.

ITA! HD did her makeup no favors, especially at the beginning. It was spackled on. And that fetish-y dress she was wearing--she must have pissed off the makeup and wardrobe people, no?

Share Post

On 5/29/2018 at 10:12 AM, MerBearHou said:

She said it last episode too and it just grated.  

Ok, I’m so curious/annoyed/dorky that I checked online about the pronunciation of Chantilly in both English and French.  

All have 3 syllables — either “shan-Till-ee” like we’ve always heard it in the US and in French, it’s “Shon-tee-yee”

The Chantilly pronunciation lesson for the morning...back to work.

I'm being a dork right along with you because I also checked the pronunciation.    I'm not sure she is saying it as 3 syllables which possibly makes her pretentious and wrong

Share Post

I think we need to have Jean Francois (that's his name, right?) say "Chantilly".  I have never heard anyone on TV drop the last syllable.  Then again, I never noticed it either, until now.  It bothered me too.  Sounds kinda pretentious.

I wish Lakeeta (I am so bad with names this season, and I literally just watched this episode 30 minutes ago) would've beat the nose ring girl.  I didn't like NRG's decoration.  The apple jerky looked really unappealing  and the judges on the Spring/Christmas bake show would've docked her for having a brown dish.  ?

I have an aversion to cooked fruit.  I don't like it.  I'm not a fan of fruit pie (I eat the crust), crisp (again, crisp eater), or cobbler (there is nothing I like about cobbler).  I like fresh apples, and baked items with applesauce but I don't like half cooked, slightly mushy fruit.  Things with  pureed fruit  or jam  is fine.  Anyway all to say nothing sounded yummy to me so I will hold back on my opinion because of my bias.

Adam needs to stop with the cylinders.  They were cool once, maybe twice. Please, no more.  I bet he does another next week "to redeem himself".

The Boston cream pies looked great.  Except the two that were all cake and little cream.  Hell, I'd probably even enjoy them.

Share Post

On 5/27/2018 at 3:30 PM, Wings said:

I am not fond of the French contestant.  Sure he is employed as a pastry chef but that does not automatically make him better.  Are all college grads automatically smarter than those without degrees?  NOPE. 

He must be a well known and/or decorated pastry chef, because in the first episode Adam said he though Jean Francois was there as a judge.

Share Post

15 minutes ago, OldWiseOne said:

He must be a well known and/or decorated pastry chef, because in the first episode Adam said he though Jean Francois was there as a judge.

Yes, I heard that.  Still, for me, it doesn’t automatically make him better. 

Edited by Wings.

Share Post

11 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

I'm being a dork right along with you because I also checked the pronunciation.    I'm not sure she is saying it as 3 syllables which possibly makes her pretentious and wrong

Maybe they all should stop being so pretentious and just call it whipped cream.

Share Post

On 5/29/2018 at 4:17 AM, ChitChat said:

Watching sweat roll down the guys' faces while they work feverishly over their desserts is what grosses me out.  

Me too, on all cooking shows.  People complain all the time about women not tying their hair back, but don't seem bothered by sweat dripping in food.  (Plus short hair falls out too - duh.)

Share Post

I didn't care for Adam's green cucumber-looking Boston cream pie.   The shape reminded me of the barracks they used to show on Gomer Pyle.

Share Post

8 hours ago, Brookside said:

Me too, on all cooking shows.  People complain all the time about women not tying their hair back, but don't seem bothered by sweat dripping in food.  (Plus short hair falls out too - duh.)

I'm an equal opportunity complainer when it comes to sweating and hair not being tied back. I still remember an episode of Guy's Grocery Games that had a closeup of a bead of sweat rolling down the top of a guy's nose. They didn't show where it landed though of course.

Share Post

2 hours ago, Jaded said:

I still remember an episode of Guy's Grocery Games that had a closeup of a bead of sweat rolling down the top of a guy's nose. They didn't show where it landed though of course.

My co-workers and I had a waitress in Chili's one time that had a bead of sweat on her face that looked like it was going to drop at any moment.  It was really gross when she brought the cup of soup out and she leaned over the soup while putting it on the table.  Each of us at the table wanted to take our napkin and wipe her face!  Needless to say, lunch wasn't very appetizing after that.  How could no one in the kitchen not say something to her?  We were too embarrassed to point it out, but you'd think that her manager or one of the other servers would've said something.   We didn't want to get the manager and get her in trouble either.  

I guess for this show they don't want them to wear hair nets or wear a headband to collect the sweat.   I guess the producers want us to see just how hard these guys are working by showing us their sweaty faces, but for me, it's gross. I try to overlook it and just focus on the pretty desserts! A lot of the time I record the show and then FF all of the baking and drama, and then just watch the judging.  

Share Post

Scott’s butt looked huge in that suit. 

Share Post

2 hours ago, novhappy said:

Scott’s butt looked huge in that suit. 

What is it with him and the tight suits? ?

Share Post

The whole cut of the suit seems off for him!  I assume he’s muscular through the chest and shoulders which the cut emphasizes while the cut keeping it buttoned at the waist gives a slim appearance there. I assume this is what he is going for.  But then it balloons overs the butt. And over all looks way too tight. Dude needs a new tailor. 

Share Post

Question regarding the contestants knowledge of challenge prior to the actual challenge - apologies if this already been discussed

How long ahead of time are they given the info as to what will be required? They must have time to decide on their recipes, ingredients have to be purchased, etc.

Last night's winner had never made that dessert & yet in 3 hours time she managed to out-do all the other contestants - beginner's luck? Good for her

Marcella & Jason seem (to me) to be trying too hard with their comments to prove they belong as judges on a baking competition show

Share Post

Trying too hard with their comments and their outfits

Share Post

Honey chile, I am so sick of Jason's schtick.  "That tastes like a goat would wanna do the tango with a chicken, y'all."  Just stop it!  I don't understand why Lasheeda continues to advance.  Her white chocolate leaves looked lame.  I was sure Nosering would be a contender.  There is a certain smugness to Adam that I don't like.  Florian will be a judge next week.  Hope they have the subtitles set up and ready to go, because I can hardly understand Jean-Francois and Florian was always difficult to understand on the cupcake shows. 

3 hours ago, Marathonrunner said:

How long ahead of time are they given the info as to what will be required? They must have time to decide on their recipes, ingredients have to be purchased, etc.

Lasheeda said she had never made a Marjolaine but I didn't see a print out of a recipe for her or anyone else.  Do they really just have all of the measurements and procedures memorized?  Maybe Adam does.  She did say she knew how to make all of the components, but it doesn't seem possible to know all the steps to making the whole dessert.  I'm assuming Food Network provides all of the ingredients, although on the Cupcake Wars they used to show competitors hauling flour and other ingredients and equipment to the challenge.  I've never made a Marjolaine and don't think I want to.  A napoleon is something I've wanted to do for a while with homemade puff pastry.

Edited by Ilovecomputers.

Share Post

24 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Honey chile, I am so sick of Jason's schtick.  "That tastes like a goat would wanna do the tango with a chicken, y'all."  Just stop it!  I don't understand why Lasheeda continues to advance.  Her white chocolate leaves looked lame.  I was sure Nosering would be a contender.  There is a certain smugness to Adam that I don't like.  Florian will be a judge next week.  Hope they have the subtitles set up and ready to go, because I can hardly understand Jean-Francois and Florian was always difficult to understand on the cupcake shows. 

Lasheeda said she had never made a Marjolaine but I didn't see a print out of a recipe for her or anyone else.  Do they really just have all of the measurements and procedures memorized?  Maybe Adam does.  She did say she knew how to make all of the components, but it doesn't seem possible to know all the steps to making the whole dessert.  I'm assuming Food Network provides all of the ingredients, although on the Cupcake Wars they used to show competitors hauling flour and other ingredients and equipment to the challenge.  I've never made a Marjolaine and don't think I want to.  A napoleon is something I've wanted to do for a while with homemade puff pastry.

GBBS has made me want to try my own puff pastry.  I haven't yet, but I still want to.

Share Post

My DVR recording of the most recent episode won't play the last 10 minutes. Who won and who was cut? 

Thanks in advance! 

Share Post

1 hour ago, HahYallDoin said:

My DVR recording of the most recent episode won't play the last 10 minutes. Who won and who was cut? 

Thanks in advance! 

I am surprised to say that Lasheeda won the final challenge, even though she said she'd never baked a marjolaine before.  I do not know how anyone knew what to do if they had no experience with this particular cake (I've never heard of it and it's quite specific).

Becca was sent home.  She also said she'd never made a marjolaine and hers was too thick and did not have a good overall look.

The guest judge had made a marjolaine as her final task in culinary school and she was picky about it being done just right.

Edited by MerBearHou.

Share Post

7 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I am surprised to say that Lasheeda won the final challenge, even though she said she'd never baked a marjolaine before.  I do not know how anyone knew what to do if they had no experience with this particular cake (I've never heard of it and it's quite specific).

Becca was sent home.  She also said she'd never made a marjolaine and hers was quite thick and did not have a good overall look.

The guest judge had made a marjolaine as her final task in culinary school and she was quite picky about it being done just right.

Wow, I'm with you on the LaSheeda win. Interesting! 

Can't say I'm sad to see Becca go...that nose ring made me cringe. 

Thanks for the scoop ??

Share Post