All Episodes Talk: Running and Baking

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Share Post

I was surprised and disappointed that Susanna went out so early. She did really well in the Holiday Baking Championship last year.  I enjoyed the macaron challenge because I learned a lot about what goes into making them. However, revamping baked Alaska seemed like a head-scratcher. There isn't a whole lot you can do with that one to transform it.

Share Post

I liked Susana a lot but she herself said that she'd basically made a traditional Baked Alaska so she didn't meet the intent of the challenge.  I would have been a lot happier if Cheryl had used salt instead of sugar or something but, alas, she's still in the running and Susana is gone.

Share Post

Here is a comment I made the first night of the show...made it in the Genre section!

Did anyone catch Best Baker in America? Actually it felt like I was re-watching one of the Holiday Baking Championship! Lots of familiar faces including ta da, Jason as a judge. Who would have thunk it? Oh, all of us....we just knew he would start appearing as a judge. It must feel funny judging some of the folks he competed against!

It was interesting that they had a technical contest and then one for taste and looks.  I hated that Cheryl won because I didn't like her on her season and I still think she is full of herself! I did like the geo cake....it was certainly different. The Mexican lady did a cake that looked like the one she baked on the Holiday Baking Championship except this time it was supposed to be a wedding cake...I sure would not have wanted that one!

Share Post

I didn't mind Cheryl too much in her last outing.  For some reason, she's insufferable now.

Share Post

Rammchick, I was coming here to say the same thing. I think Cheryl is very talented and enjoyed her designs on the holiday show, but she has dialed the snark up a bit too much for my liking this season.

I'm enjoying the judges and their comments. I don't really watch a lot of stuff on the Food Network, so I'm not familiar with the judges, but I really like the older, gray-haired gentleman. And I liked Jason on whatever prior baking competition he was on that I saw (they all run together) and am happy to see him here as well.

Share Post

I'm liking Sherry, but not the ego.

Not too happy to see Susana go, she was a lot calmer, more peaceful, and collective.

Andy is getting old-folk really fast. His big guy Southern accent is way off the charts, and his baking is a little sloppy as well as his character.

This is the first time I've seen Adam Rappaport. What is his job? When I think of him, I think of Stanley Rappaport from the Cosby Show.

Share Post

I'm incredibly impressed with the bakers' skill level.  Adelberto the Macaron King of Utah especially.  I love Cheryl, because she may be arrogant, but as the saying goes, she has what it takes to back it up.

ETA:  I just finished an 8 week course in French patisserie and have taken many other baking classes.  Regrettably, I have come to the conclusion that you either have talent as a pastry chef, like musical talent,  or you don't.  I most definitely don't.  However, my goal was to be able to roll out pie dough and make a pie without disaster and I can now do that. 

I love to watch people who are really insanely talented.

Edited by susannot.

Share Post

I just finished the first episode, started the second and paused so I can put clothes in the dryer. My screen is filled with yellow lemon frosting. Yum!!

Share Post

Adam Rappaport. What is his job? 

He was the highly respected editor of Bon Appetit magazine for quite a few years.  I don't know what he does now but I was surprised to see him on FN.

Share Post

On 10/8/2017 at 5:09 PM, Simon47 said:

Andy is getting old-folk really fast. His big guy Southern accent is way off the charts

Andy Chlebana? He's big, but I don't detect *any* southern accent on him.

Share Post

7 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

He is from Plainfield, Illinois-he has been on our local news a couple of times.

That makes sense. I listened to him and thought, if he has *any* non-generic American accent, it *might* be midwestern. But to me he just sounded "American." (And I've lived enough places that I have a pretty generic accent myself :) )

Share Post

I live about 100 miles downstate from Plainfield and Andy sounds perfectly normal to me.  Certainly not southern.

Share Post

I cannot say how much I would like Cheryl to go! Hoping her underdone pastry would do it, but I knew Brooke was the one going...too many things wrong with her St. Honore(is that how you spell it?) I didn't like Cheryl the last time she was on and this time is she is worse. It is one thing to be confident, but she is too much in love with her talent. Her talking heads tend to be bragging, at least to me. Hee, Andy sure seems to think the same!

I thought Jason looked quite dapper tonight. Not sure what they have done but it looks good!

Share Post

I totally agree about Cheryl.  Can't stand her but I knew she'd be safe because she won the first round.  

This is a completely different type of show from FNS so Jason seems subdued but he also seems to be relaxing as the show goes on and his personality is more evident.  All the contestants are legitimate professionals so I'm glad all the judges are taking the competition seriously.

Share Post

Everything looked delicious tonight, it's so nice to watch a show with people who are genuinely talented pastry chefs. 

Share Post

I'd love to know what the contestants really think about being judged by a home cook and a woman who went to pastry school but has never worked as a serious pastry chef.  We know from the intros that most if not all of them have competed in prestigious competitions and have won impressive awards.  I'd think it would be a bit hard to swallow to be criticized by people with lesser credentials.  OTOH  They've all been on FN before so they knew what they were getting into.   

Share Post

Andy's first attempt at pate-a-chou (sp?) looked like a bunch of vanilla wafers.

Share Post

I dislike that the first three voted out have been women. Andy should have gone instead of Brittany this week. I thought she was the stronger chef.

Share Post

Cheryl's downfall is that she seems to get too much into her own head. She said she didn't "connect" with the St. Honore' cake. It's a freakin' pastry! Dwayne said he'd never made one but gamely stood up for the challenge and did quite well, even by pushing the envelope of tradition and making his chocolate. I'm glad Marcella set that straight. If you're a professional baker, you try your best to produce what the client (or in this case, the judges) want.

Share Post

I love this show. I can't believe I hadn't heard of it until it got a forum.  I watch a lot of baking shows but my favorite types are the straight forward baking shows like this one.  "Make this.  Make that."  Bakers are allowed to bake and decorate as they want and it's not under some kind of weird theme.  Such pretty, appetizing results. 

I hope we get another season. 

Share Post

On October 14, 2017 at 5:41 PM, Irlandesa said:

I love this show. I can't believe I hadn't heard of it until it got a forum.  I watch a lot of baking shows but my favorite types are the straight forward baking shows like this one.  "Make this.  Make that."  Bakers are allowed to bake and decorate as they want and it's not under some kind of weird theme.  Such pretty, appetizing results. 

I hope we get another season. 

Totally agree with everything you said. The challenge is not one that would be too much for the viewers (ex. Make a strawberry St Honore cake about a scene in which Santa was sick on Christmas), but instead they are given a simple task (ex. Make a St Honore Cake).

Share Post

I like this show, too. It reminds me of the Great British Baking Show in its tone. The contestants are nice and supportive of each other and they act like normal people. I wish FN they could get amateurs that act like normal people on their other cooking shows and not all that over the top crazy stuff. Also the challenges are just baking challenges, nothing crazy, just bake the best whatever.

Share Post

I wish they hadn't decided to air this while the two other Halloween baking competitions are going on. 

Share Post

Add me to the group of happy campers with this show's format.  No crazy contestants, no whack-a-doo 'twists' or add-ons.  I hate when shows (mostly FN shows) feel they need to do some kooky antics to challenge the bakers/chefs.  Just give them the docket with a particular theme (Pastry, Sweet Dough, Donuts...) and let these people show the audience & judges their skills, knowledge and innovations.  I'd be so pissed if I went on one of those shows where they make the bakers/chefs use some odd ingredient.  If I'm a professional, classically trained pastry chef (and on TV to promote myself & my bakery), I want to spend most of my allotted time perfecting my pate choux or rolling out phyllo dough for an amazing plated dessert. Then someone tells me with 15 min on the clock that I need to incorporate fermented quail eggs or popcorn flavored jelly beans into my dessert for added "hilarity & hijinks?" Why? Because 3rd level PA thought of it while getting stoned with his/her roommate?  I'd make sure that PA would be wearing a face full of meringue while I slowly wave a a blow torch across it.   That's why I love Great British Bake Off so very very much.  Nothing screams "manufactured drama" under the tent!

Share Post

Chef Thiago is competing on Chopped:Champions right now.

Edited by susannot.

Share Post

1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

I thought the winning cake-the werewolf cake, looked sloppy and unappealing. I also didn't get them raving over cupcakes since usually the judges say they are too simple. My favorite was the devil cake with the flames, but I understand the back kind of caved in. I guess i dont mind the extra ingredient since it doesn't seem too off the wall. 

I also like it that the judges don't all agreee. I did have a question after the episode: what is cookie butter? They mentioned it is an acquired taste and I thought maybe it was like cookie dough but that wouldn't need an acquired taste I don't think. 

This was on the Halloween Baking Championship not Best Baker in America! It is a bit confusing having them on at the same time! But I agree that the Werewolf cake was awful looking! It must have tasted good!

Edited by suebee12.

Share Post

I like the format of this show and I even kind of like the host-- he definitely has some knowledge and isn't just a talking head *cough*Jeff Dunham*cough*.  They'd actually have to go outside their own shows to find more talent for a second season, since it seems like this show is almost like a Holiday Baking Championship All Stars.

Share Post

I like Adam Rapoport as host too.  I'm still wondering how FN got someone of his stature to host a show.

I was soooooooo relieved to see Cheryl eliminated.  She was a study in arrogance and excuses.  I couldn't stand her last time she was on and liked her even less this time around.  If they had eliminated Dwayne because Cheryl was the last woman standing, I would have been angry.  Based upon the opera cakes, she was the right one to go.  

I like all the bakers who are left and will hate to see each one leave as the weeks go on.  

Share Post

I'm surprised that Cheryl was the one eliminated, I thought it was going to be Dwayne. Both of their opera cakes looked like regular layer cakes to me.

Share Post

44 minutes ago, GaT said:

I'm surprised that Cheryl was the one eliminated, I thought it was going to be Dwayne. Both of their opera cakes looked like regular layer cakes to me.

Yes but one thing I really appreciate about this show is that they say the first round's results will factor into their final decision.  I think that's what happened here.  While Cheryl had pretty good creme brulees (not gonna look for the accents), Dwayne put out something that the judges couldn't stop eating.  I think that's why he was saved. 

Share Post

I didn't get Thiago's cake.  It didn't say "opera cake" to me at all, but apparently it was A-OK with the judges.  I was very impressed with his chocolate cigarettes though.  And I wanted to hear him sing opera!!

I think Andy will win.  This guy is familiar with anything that the judges throw at him.  His chocolate mirror glaze and his sugar work were perfect.  His crème brulee was a failure though.

ETA:  I really love the teaching moments of the show, like Cheryl explaining the difference between French, Italian, and Swiss buttercreams.

Edited by susannot.

Share Post

I feel like Andy is a little too "safe" with his creations, which totally makes sense based on his profession.  Thiago isn't always successful (and I, too, thought his opera cake was pretty out there!) but at least he really shoots for the stars 

I'm totally over Adalberto's weird gooseberry fetish

Share Post

I like Cheryl, but during the elimination last night I realized I like all the contestants. This is one of the few times on any show that I would be happy with anyone winning. I can't say enough how much I love that this show assembled a group of highly skilled competitors and simply asked them to do what they do best.

I agree it's time for Adalberto to deep six the gooseberries.

Share Post

Happy Cheryl's gone. She was so insufferable on this show, even more than on HBC.

Was Thiago on any of the baking championships of FN? I don't remember him being on FN, but IMO he's a pretty skilled baker.

Share Post

So glad that Cheryl is gone. She was too stuck on herself and her skills! (On another note, her lipstick was awful!!) I am really enjoying this series and really don't want to see it end. Sure hope they bring this back.

I really like the judges also. They balance each other. And I like that they disagree without being nasty. All in all, a good show! I like all of the guys left so now it is going to be hard to see someone go.

Share Post

Sexual preferences is the reason why the finalists are all men. Thiago's cake looked beautiful, Andy's dessert left the judges wanting more, Dwayne got a chance, and Albert got a chance too.

Share Post

Those chocolate cigarettes were way cool to see being made. I imagine that takes quite a bit of practice.

Share Post

On 10/19/2017 at 7:52 AM, HyeChaps said:

Andy reminds me of Jeff Garlin. 

Ahhhh, that is who it is.  I knew he reminded me of an actor.  Very close replica!  LOL  

Cheryl could not admit her mistake in her final DT.   She said she tried to do something different.  No, she didn't!!  Cutting her cake in half and stacking was a desperate measure to cover her mistake.  That being, the cake layers were too thick plus the icing layers were too thin.  If she left it flat there would not be enough layers!  

Edited by wings707.

Share Post

My DVR didn't record a new episode this week. I'm not seeing any comments since last week's show, so I guess there wasn't one?

Share Post

3 minutes ago, tobeannounced said:

My DVR didn't record a new episode this week. I'm not seeing any comments since last week's show, so I guess there wasn't one?

Isn't this show on Wednesdays? (I watch on AppleTV so always behind anyway)

Share Post

7 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Isn't this show on Wednesdays? (I watch on AppleTV so always behind anyway)

Oh, gosh,  is it? I always watch it after the fact, but I could have sworn it was on Mondays or Tuesdays. Well, hopefully you're right! I need another episode. Really enjoying this.

Share Post

2 hours ago, Simon47 said:

DT? What is that?

Diary Talk, meaning their talking head comments.   

Share Post

On 10/16/2017 at 2:52 PM, BusyOctober said:

Add me to the group of happy campers with this show's format.  No crazy contestants, no whack-a-doo 'twists' or add-ons.  I hate when shows (mostly FN shows) feel they need to do some kooky antics to challenge the bakers/chefs.  Just give them the docket with a particular theme (Pastry, Sweet Dough, Donuts...) and let these people show the audience & judges their skills, knowledge and innovations.  I'd be so pissed if I went on one of those shows where they make the bakers/chefs use some odd ingredient.  If I'm a professional, classically trained pastry chef (and on TV to promote myself & my bakery), I want to spend most of my allotted time perfecting my pate choux or rolling out phyllo dough for an amazing plated dessert. Then someone tells me with 15 min on the clock that I need to incorporate fermented quail eggs or popcorn flavored jelly beans into my dessert for added "hilarity & hijinks?" Why? Because 3rd level PA thought of it while getting stoned with his/her roommate?  I'd make sure that PA would be wearing a face full of meringue while I slowly wave a a blow torch across it.   That's why I love Great British Bake Off so very very much.  Nothing screams "manufactured drama" under the tent!

It pains me to say this, given how much dreck is on FN, but somehow they have come up with what, IMO, is the best competitive baking (or cooking) show on TV, along with Great British Bake-Off. Along with the lack of manufactured drama, I appreciate that the show is not dumbed down for the home audience. My only criticism would be that I wish they could pull a broader range of contestants beyond people who have shown up on other FN shows (I’m not a regular viewer of other FN competitions, but I recognized a couple of faces).

Share Post

I enjoy this show, too.  I like something sweet but in small doses.  It almost turns my stomach to watch the judges taste everything, especially in the beginning with so many bakers.  They take big bites too, unlike Loraine (?) on another baking show.  

Thaigo is the likely winner though Alan is right behind him so either could take this.  

Share Post