All Episodes Talk: Pull Up to the Lunch Counter

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Share Post

The series Wings, could best be described as Cheers 2, as it followed much the same pattern as the other series did. The similarities are numerous, such as both being easy going character comedies and being produced by the same team (David Angell, Peter Casey and David Lee). The main difference being the setting. Instead of a Boston bar being the main setting, a small airport terminal on the island of Nantucket was used as the main backdrop. The regular "gang" included brothers Joe and Brian Hackett, both pilots, who ran a one-plane local cummuter service called Sandpiper Air. They had little else in common. Joe was button-down, organized and serious, and Brian, a hang loose, free spirit. Thier mutual best friend since childhood was Helen, a once chubby but now beautiful aspiring concert cellist who ran the lunch counter. These three lifelong friends were the "three musketeers".  (Description via TheTVDB.com)

I am so incredibly stoked that there is a little space on PTV for one of my faves.  Wings wasn't breakthrough TV, but it held it's head up for 8 seasons, which in any world of series television is pretty darn good!  Since Netflix added this series to its lineup, I think I have binge watched Wings about 3 solid times, not to mention all the times I saw it in syndication. 

One of my favorite arcs is the whole thing with Sandy Cooper (Psycho Sandy).  OMG, how hilarious is that?  Joey Bear.  There were some awesome moments with this show.

Share Post

My favorite episode is 'Murder she roast' where Brian is staying with Fay and thinks she may be a serial killer he sees on an America's most wanted type show. The dinner scene is the best part.

There's a good secondary plot too with Lowell selling the Car-b-q. "I've seen the future and it is well done." 

Share Post

I like that one too!

The ep when they are getting Carlton to Las Cruces to see his brother. And finding out about the huge LIE he's been feeding them all just to gain their sympathy. Hilarious! He's so horrible!

Also this: "Sports and Leisure" is absolutely my favorite Roy ep. He tries so hard to show the gang he's changed... nope. LOL!

Share Post

One of my favorite episodes is the one where, after Joe has his nose broken, Brian suddenly decides he needs a new nose and he, Joe, Antonio, Lowell, and Roy discuss who they think the sexiest man might be.  If I remember, Joe picked Peter Jennings, Antonio chose Sylvester Stallone, Brian had Kevin Costner, Roy picked John Forsythe, and Lowell picked Tom Petty.  "And I'll fight any man who says otherwise!!"

I also love the one where Brian has the time share spiel in South Carolina and cons Joe into flying down there telling him they'd go golfing.  Roy and Lowell end up going too and they all have to share a room and then a storm hits and they can't golf after all.  The funniest scene was when Lowell found Roy's "sleep aid" in the bathroom.

Share Post

Wow hard to choose!  One I do love is when Helen and Joe get into a fight in the kitchen, involving meat.

Joe: "One minute we were smackin' each other with meat, then it got weird..."

Share Post

Helen's wedding to Antonio, wearing his mother's wedding dress that was many sizes too big and kept falling off her shoulders, with her hiking boots.

Share Post

I always loved the puppetmaster episode and the one in which Lowell has a blimp model with Capt. Jazzbo.

Share Post

That was great @Willowy

I think it might be about time for a rewatch, not an official one, but just one of those things I put on in the background and have playing while I work.  Hmmmm

Share Post

I loved the world of Nantucket -- softer, slower, friendlier, homier, supported by that wonderful theme music.  I miss it very much

Share Post

Does anyone remember an episode when Helen was acting really silly one episode? I think she was meeting someone, and was laughing a really silly laugh and maybe clapping and not talking. I cannot remember what episode it was. Thanks for any help.

Share Post

Does anyone remember an episode when Helen was acting really silly one episode? I think she was meeting someone, and was laughing a really silly laugh and maybe clapping and not talking. I cannot remember what episode it was. Thanks for any help.

That isn't ringing a bell ... an episode I do remember that had to do with laughing was that Helen dated someone with the most annoying laugh, like a hyena?

Share Post

Someone on IMDB told me. It was the one with Deke Hathaway, the gay TV star . Helen and Joe also took care of a little girl. Honey, we broke the Kid.

I just re-watched the entire series on DVD from beginning to end . It was as great as always. It had many great moments, both comedy and drama.

Share Post

Someone on IMDB told me. It was the one with Deke Hathaway, the gay TV star . Helen and Joe also took care of a little girl. Honey, we broke the Kid.

So glad you found it, it was bugging me too!  I think it's time for a rewatch myself.  

Share Post

This show started airing on Antenna TV from the beginning.  I'm so happy.  I was planning to do a rewatch when it was on Netflix but then it moved to Hulu and I don't feel like subscribing to that yet.

Share Post

My favorite thing from the show and the thing I always think if when somebody mentions the show is "I just found out that nothing rhymes with Alex".   I laugh my ass off every time. 

Second favorite moment is the episode where Joe is teaching Helen how to fly the plane.  I forget what happened but Helen ended up having to fly the plane.  She said " I've learned a lot.....ABOUT LIFT ".   Her delivery of that line gets me every time. 

Random nothing here...my best friend from school worked for NBC and her first show was Wings.  She and Crystal Bernard became good friends and are still friends today. I don't " know" Crystal but I've met her and been around her a lot when I would visit my friend and she is really super sweet.  

Edited by Maharincess.

Share Post

Well, the reruns have finally progressed out of the Alex Years. Those are definitely my least favorite seasons, I really did not like that character.

Share Post

I don't hate Alex but I do think Casey was a much better addition.

In fact, season 6 has had a lot of good episodes, including the one where Brian and Casey throw a surprise party for Joe and Helen.  "It's a big sandwich."

Share Post

I just found Alex to be such a humorless, unfun character. She seemed to take offense at just about any offhand remark. Season 5 had sooooo many episodes devoted to Brian and Alex dating, moving in, etc, and I hated them all. 

I loved Casey. She fit in so much better with the group. The way she was poised, yet still kind of pathetic was hilarious. Plus I loved the weird friends with benefits relationship she had with Brian. So much more entertaining to watch than him being on Alex's leash. 

Share Post

Roy Biggins: So what you're saying is, she's not interested in me, that I don't mean anything to her. She just wants to get me into bed & use me like some cheap piece of meat?

Brian Hackett: Exactly.

Roy Biggins: I can live with that!

Share Post

Thank you to turning me on to Antenna TV. My Tivo just d/l'ed over 50 episodes so far. i am right now sitting down watching episode 1. Thanks again.

Share Post

Been really enjoying watching this show again on Antenna TV.

My favorite episode is Das Plane. "Maybe it was Las Cruces!"

I think adding Casey was the jump the shark moment for Wings.

Edited by BTBAM310.

Share Post

5 hours ago, BTBAM310 said:

I think adding Casey was the jump the shark moment for Wings.

I thought the sixth season was possibly the funniest season of the show, IMO, so I can't agree that she was a jump the shark moment.  I thought she and Brian were hilarious together.

Share Post

I loved Casey. I don't think the show would've gone eight seasons without her, she seemed to breathe some new life into the show. Definitely gave Brian something new to play off of as a character, as his schmoopy dating Alex period did him no favors.

Share Post

For the kirinan household, the "jump the shark" moment was when they lost Lowell. We loved all the cast members (okay, well, Casey wasn't my favorite, but I agree she was funny with Brian), so we thought our love of the show would carry on. But something was missing, and we drifted away.  

Share Post

On 3/9/2017 at 3:14 PM, Irlandesa said:

I thought the sixth season was possibly the funniest season of the show, IMO, so I can't agree that she was a jump the shark moment.  I thought she and Brian were hilarious together.

So last night I watched the episode where Casey is introduced, the first time i'd seen any episode with her since they originally ran in the 90s. I stand by my statement about her being the jump the shark moment for the show. She is awful.

Share Post

Casey's introduction is far cry from where the character ended up. Even by the end of her introductory season, she's a lot different.

Share Post

I liked Casey and because she lost her husband John Ritter so tragically later I will always have a soft spot for Amy Yasbeck. I'm not sure whether she was hired before or after she starred with Steven Weber in Dracula Dead and Loving It since she first appeared in the 94-95 season and the movie came out in 95 but was likely filmed a year earlier. Probably after.

Love this recent joke tweeted by Steven Weber. I love Wings but it's always been of "those shows" for most people.

Edited by VCRTracking.

Share Post

I loved Casey even if only because she was a HUGE upgrade (in my opinion) on Alex. I hate season 5 (was it S5?) with a passion because of the way I feel Alex messed up the dynamic by pitting Joe and Brian against each other over her to start off with leading to some of the most painful tv episodes ever about the Brian/Alex relationship. I don't even watch most of those episodes on principal. LOL

So it goes without saying Alex was my Jump the Shark moment.... And then when they lost Lowell that was Shark ate the show moment. That was my death knell. I could still enjoy some episodes but Lowell to me was the heart of the show and I struggled to enjoy it after that

Edited by SanLynn.

Share Post

The problem with "no-nonsense" characters like Alex is that sitcoms are BUILT on nonsense! Looking back Alex looked and reminds me a lot of "early season 1" Britta" on Community. It was when Britta was too much on her "high horse" and superior to the other characters and was just not funny. She was the least liked by the show's viewers at the time. Second season she became funnier when she was more of a screw up and the writing noted in-universe how off-putting and annoying she is and there were always jokes about how characters tell her she's "the worst".

brittas-a-buzzkill.gif

Alex was the same way, but even more a completely humorless drag but the show never became self aware of that. 

I don't mind her episodes though. What I never could like were the annual episodes with psycho Sandy Cooper. I just don't like it when nobody believes a character(The day the adults finally believed Big Bird's friend Snuffy was my favorite episode of Sesame Street). It annoyed the hell out of me that they would never believe what a nutjob Sandy is for whatever reason, especially when a straight laced guy like Joe tells them. 

I will say the actress Valerie Maheffey was great as Sandy in them. I always liked her appearances on Cheers and Seinfeld and as "Eve" on Northern Exposure. I read David Hyde Pierce when he first was on Frasier and they wrote about Niles' unseen wife Maris he pictured Valerie who played his wife on the short-lived Norman Lear show The Powers That Be. I know the producers of Frasier  thought, like Vera on Cheers it would be better never to show Maris and let the audience's imagine her but I always wished they had cast Maheffey since they were the same producers of Wings.

Edited by VCRTracking.

Share Post

There was an episode of Wings this week, on our classic TV station, made up of clips showing the evolution of Joe & Helen's relationship.  One very funny clip showed Helen angrily spraying Joe with fire extinguisher foam, while he covered her in oil from another sprayer. They kept coming closer & closer together, continuing to spray each other, until they were both completely covered in foam & oil & then Joe asked her to drop the extinguisher, while he dropped the oil sprayer, she did, but then Helen walked over to that oil sprayer picked it up & let him have it!  A real lol moment! This old lady stays up way past her bedtime to watch Wings, reruns just to see hunky Tim Daley!

Share Post

It's been 20 years and I still think "Davis" is a dumb sounding first name. Maybe it's the way Crystal Bernard said it in her Southern accet or that she said it so many times but it just sounds so stupid. Either name your kid "David" or don't.

Share Post

Man lets all keep talking more about Wings!  This show is truly magic

Share Post

One of my favorites is on tonight. The second episode is the one where they all have blind dates and have a contest as to who had the worst date.

Share Post

I simply cannot fathom how Helen, who grew up on Nantucket with the Hackett brothers, has such a heavy Southern accent, whereas Casey did not.  I wish Crystal Bernard had gone on to other things after this show. 

Share Post

1 minute ago, Lava VaVoom said:

I simply cannot fathom how Helen, who grew up on Nantucket with the Hackett brothers, has such a heavy Southern accent, whereas Casey did not.  I wish Crystal Bernard had gone on to other things after this show. 

Someone on the show (Roy? Fay? I forget who) asked that and Casey said she never had that much of an accent in the first place, to which Joe and Brian begged to differ. So apparently Casey used to, but at some point in her adulthood, got rid of it.

Share Post

In one of the earliest episodes Helen mentions that her family moved to Nantucket from Texas when she was 10. Since Casey was the younger sister she probably had an easier time losing the accent once they moved. 

Share Post

Casey was the older sister. Amy Yasbeck is younger than Crystal Bernard, though. 

Share Post

Just found this old vid of Steve Levitan, co-creator of Modern Family talking about being in the Wings writers room when he was a young up-and-comer:

Share Post

My favorite episode is the one where Joe and Brian try to get revenge on their high school football coach. The misunderstanding after he dies is great. 

"Not only did we hear about what happened to the coach, we're the ones who are responsible!"

"No, no, we didn't kill him! We just broke into his house and dressed him like a woman!" "Oh thank god...wait, what?"

Lately when I watch it, I keep being reminded of Taxi as much as Cheers. It's about the weird array of people who work at a transportation site. Lowell is like Latke, the clueless but sweet mechanic with bizarre customs and family members. Roy is like Louie, the obnoxious wannabe-big-shot who makes the most money, and antagonizes everyone. And Helen is Elaine, the struggling artist who's slumming it in an unlikely blue collar job.

Share Post

I'm on a Wings rewatch and I'm working my way through season 5.  I can't put my finger on why Helen's relationship with Davis doesn't work for me (the storyline I mean) but it doesn't.  I get that it was supposed to set up Joe and Helen getting back together and engaged, and they certainly showed us that Helen barely spent time with Davis (and fought nonstop when she did see him) so as to keep viewers from rooting for them, but it just doesn't work for me in practice. 

Also, the episode where Davis is on his way to see Helen and she only has four hours notice hits a lot of my anti-trope buttons.  Helen stressing over dinner, getting green hair, poison oak, a friend showing up unannounced, etc., drove me crazy and I was only watching it.  I get that it's sitcom shenanigans but she'd have saved herself a lot of grief and stress if she'd just taken a shower and ordered a pizza/cooked something simple. 

At least season six has the Big Sandwich episode which I love way more than I should.

Share Post