S07.E05: Beware 2017.10.29

It's the spine-tingling finale of Halloween Wars! The final two teams made up of an expert pumpkin carver, a cake artist and a sugar artist have slaughtered their competition and must face off in one last epic showdown. The team that can best illustrate the final seconds before a deadly danger strikes will be crowned Halloween Wars champion and win $50,000! Fiona Dourif, actress from the hit horror franchise Child's Play, serves as guest judge.

Share Post

I think the right team won, although I liked both of the teams in the finale (as long as it was any team but Team Tator or the team with the horrible sugar artist who spoke in limericks and got mad at the pumpkin guy for cutting his hand).   I thought the winning piece was so cool and so different.  I've never seen anything like it on this show.   The winning sugar artist is amazing (sorry, I have not paid enough attention to try to learn everyone's names).   However, overall, a very lackluster season.

Edited by penbrat.

Share Post

2 hours ago, penbrat said:

However, overall, a very lackluster season.

Two teams dominated the whole competition.  The other teams were nowhere near the same caliber, so you knew it was going to be one of them in the end.  Not very much suspense, overall.

That being said, it was a great finale, but I preferred Morbid Masterminds.

Edited by Rammchick.

Share Post

Both final entries were terrific, IMO.  Why did it take so long for that talent to emerge?  Were they given so much more time for the final?

The judge's were inconsistent with the taste element though.  I thought the brief was to make a treat with something unexpected inside.  Orange liquor is not unexpected.  Soy sauce is, so why were the judges all "The soy sauce was a little to odd."?

Edited by backgroundnoise.

Share Post

8 minutes ago, backgroundnoise said:

Both final entries were terrific, IMO.  Why did it take so long for that talent to emerge?  Were they given so much more time for the final?

The judge's were inconsistent with the taste element though.  I thought the brief was to make a treat with something unexpected inside.  Orange liquor is not unexpected.  Soy sauce is, so why were the judges all "The soy sauce was a little to add."?

Thank you! I kept waiting for this shocking twist and just didn’t get it with the fig jam team.

Share Post

I thought I'd be happy with either team winning but, in the end, I wasn't.  MM's Small Scare was MUCH better than Ghoul'd's IMO and I liked their final tableau better too.  Christoffe does amazing work and his water and boats were great but the village was so small I couldn't even see it in the long shots.  The octopus-monster thing was also good but not really outstanding - again IMO.  The only feature I didn't like in MM's scene was the yellow blob that was supposed to be a firefly nest or something.  If they hadn't said what it was, I would have had no idea what it was supposed to be.  

Having said that, I do think that both teams deserved to be in the finale and both did the best work since Richard Ruskell, Vinny Garcia (RIP) and the guy in the hat whose name I can't recall.  The best displays ever on Halloween Wars though came from the early show with Karen Portaleo vs. Ray Villafane.  

Share Post

The Octopus thing was an OOD from Dr. Who. I can't get the picture to attach but just google Ood-Dr. who

Share Post

Both displays were awesome and so creative. I am fine with both teams but I might have given a tiny edge to MM. Team Ghouled 's display seemed to depend mainly on Christoffe's gorgeous sugar work. Too bad one team had to lose.

Yes, the earliest seasons of HW were beyond phenomenal but this is still such an enjoyable show and did not disappoint. Now I am ready for the Holiday version (Christmas Cake Wars or whatever they call it now)! 

Share Post

Glad Ghouled was the winner. Morbid Masterminds, RIP. You were my favorite team.

Share Post

3 hours ago, eurekagirl mOo said:

Ood-Dr. who

Ew.  There is a striking resemblance but the Ood is a lot more sinister.  

Share Post

This finale was like a Steve Harvey game show. Everybody was falling over and you could see in your mind the audience was laughing out loud. 

FN reviewers/authors give a lot of insight into their reviews so the reader can understand the facts about what they like and what they don't like about FN. It's Halloween, so the reviews are more scary!

Was Madison the name of the Team Ghouled lady? I liked her. She was a good Tator, not telling stories all the time.

On 10/3/2017 at 0:09 PM, Drogo said:

It's the spine-tingling finale of Halloween Wars! 

The finale wasn't really spine-tingling to me. Neither were Debbie and Madison.

Share Post

4 hours ago, mlp said:

The only feature I didn't like in MM's scene was the yellow blob that was supposed to be a firefly nest or something. 

I thought it was their take on an angler fish type monster.

Though they were both very good, I thought MM's finale entry was the clear winner (obviously not, LOL).  I thought the story was well presented and of course the work was terrific; their monster had more detail and great coloring.  Though the water effects and the creature were good on Ghoul'd's, it seemed like everything else was a bit too small and looked squished.

It was nice to have two qualified teams in the finale.  I recorded a "best of" show and it does seem like the quality of the work has declined.  That seems to happen on these types of shows though.

Share Post

Were those two the only teams to win anything the entire series?

I preferred Ghoul’d so was happy with the win.  I loved that creature.

In the small scare I didn’t understand the execution of MM’s story even with the lead guy explaining it.

Share Post

Maybe it is just me, but this was one of my favorite seasons.  At first, I wasnt overly impressed with Morbid Masterminds,  but became more impressed as the show went on.  Loved Team Ghou'ld and am glad they won.  (Real minority, but I didn't mind Tator).  I just really liked this season.

Share Post

Tater's group won the main event on the 2nd round, I think. It was some kind of legend about a woman and a car and they used corn silk in it.

I think MM's execution was better than Ghoul'd in many cases but I do feel like their stories are weaker. I never understood the idea behind the scarecrow no matter how many times he explained it, and I didn't really get the idea behind the devil last week. I think they were trying to think outside the box, but they were too far outside for it to still jive with the theme.

I'd have preferred a Morbid Masterminds win but both pieces were great and it's just nice to see people who are generally normal and non-conniving. I will personally bet all the change in the bottom of my purse that the bit with Christoffe on Ghoul'd "storming off" was totally staged for teh drama.

Share Post

Okay at least there was talent this time around. It's much better than last year when we had the whole Underbaker's drama thing going on. At least THIS time the last two standing were good artists!

Share Post