S07.E02: Secret Creature Reveal 2017.10.08

Five teams compete. Featured: the horrific, hideous monsters that disguise themselves with normal human faces.

Share Post

I don't like Tatersnot but I thought their mermaid was the best.  Am glad that the team that got voted off went - I like them okay but that girl's voice was like nails on a chalkboard.

Share Post

Is it me or are the judges not that concerned about whether the teams meet the brief for the challenges? In the main heat, only two teams showed the creature's "mask." Everyone else had full on creature, no indication that it had ever hidden its form from the human.

The Small Scare was even more blatant. The winning team completely ignored the challenge, a mummy's day off, by saying the mummy was like them and didn't get a day off. That gave them the freedom to do anything they wanted. I thought their mummy was exceptional, but I don't think they should have been allowed to ignore the challenge.

Share Post

1 hour ago, Passing Strange said:

Is it me or are the judges not that concerned about whether the teams meet the brief for the challenges? In the main heat, only two teams showed the creature's "mask." Everyone else had full on creature, no indication that it had ever hidden its form from the human.

The Small Scare was even more blatant. The winning team completely ignored the challenge, a mummy's day off, by saying the mummy was like them and didn't get a day off. That gave them the freedom to do anything they wanted. I thought their mummy was exceptional, but I don't think they should have been allowed to ignore the challenge.

I so agree. On the whole, the presentations were better than last week's, but several teams ignored the mask storyline. There was some really good work but I thought Tater's team's mermaid was the best and met the challenge. The winning team's was great but there was no mask element. I knew the losing team would be saying bye. Although I think their small scare was good, better than the winner's mummy as tech support (which didn't make sense), but that final presentation was lame. And without explanation, I would have never guessed that she shed her skin.

I laugh like a hyena at the fake drama when sugar work is accidentally broken. That chick clearly saw Christoff's sugar work on the cart and aimed her tray right at it. Then there's the fake expressions of horror when it happens. I thought Heidi Klum would win a Razzie for her fake puzzlement during last week's Project Runway but these guys could give her a run for the award! 

Share Post

That's what I thought too.  Mummy's day off wasn't a mummy working.  Should have been talked about or noticed somehow.  Same with the main heat too.  I thought it was me just being picky.  That said I feel bad for the pumpkin carver on the team with annoying winner of a previous season.  I hope she is gone soon but feel bad he will have to go but she she's awful.  Same with Tator.  I don't like him at all.  And I think his team has saved him so far.  His carvings have not been good and it's been the background, glass work, and cake decorations that have saved them.  If only I cold switch Tator with the previous winner glass pro with who is on their team.  Perfect@

Share Post

2 hours ago, Crucial said:

That's what I thought too.  Mummy's day off wasn't a mummy working.  Should have been talked about or noticed somehow.  Same with the main heat too.  I thought it was me just being picky.  That said I feel bad for the pumpkin carver on the team with annoying winner of a previous season.  I hope she is gone soon but feel bad he will have to go but she she's awful.  Same with Tator.  I don't like him at all.  And I think his team has saved him so far.  His carvings have not been good and it's been the background, glass work, and cake decorations that have saved them.  If only I cold switch Tator with the previous winner glass pro with who is on their team.  Perfect@

I very much want the annoying former contestant and Tater to go, too. I feel bad about rooting against the nice people on their teams, but those two are annoying AF.

Spunkygal, lol re: Heidi Klum. Yes, Heidi, we believe that you, an executive producer, have no idea what's going on.

Share Post

Tater must think he's auditioning for a job at Mickey's Very Scary Halloween Party.  I can think of no other reason for why he's acting as if he's give a dramatic reading of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow in a dark forest in Tarrytown NY on Halloween night during his talking heads.  Between him and Team Dr. Snooze I feel like I'm getting the Kidz Bop version of the show.

I didn't have a problem with the tech support mummy.  Some people never get a day off, even on their day off.

Share Post

23 hours ago, Passing Strange said:

Yes!  I was so annoyed that BOTH times the theme wasn’t even mentioned.

I thought the mermaid was first and then the fly.

And Shinmin didn’t even LIKE that stupid green cake pop!  I would take the cheesecake spider or the pumpkin pie cream puff or the cake with apple pie.

Robert Patrick was a big get for this show. He’s so damn charming.

Share Post

Add me to the list of people who can't stand Tator Tot and past contestant sugar chick. Tator's annoying and he brags about his work when there's nothing really behind it. His team members are awesome though and they save his ass every week. Sugar girl is just cranky and her vocal fry drives me crazy.

Share Post

Tator needs to be off my tv forever. I blame Guy Fieri for making people think that they need to be 'personalities' on food shoes.

Share Post

I was about to commit a capital act against my TV over vocal fry girl. Thank goodness she's gone.

I thought all five of the main event were actually decent work this week, which is always nice. I liked the concept of the mermaid but I didn't like how her bottom half was Jabba the Hutt-esque. 

As far as the theme for the main event, they clearly are trying to be extremely creative and not reuse previous themes, but the result is that the themes are so convoluted that I can't follow (I said to Mr DVD that it's like the let's make a date game on Whose Line where the thing to act like first would be things like "Jean Claude Van Damme" and later on became things like "an extra in a horror film who suddenly realizes he's actually on a set for the revival of Baywatch but the set is underwater in the Arctic"). Like they were going for masks, but all that about revealing the true self made people go that route.

The one with the first date, did they keep referring to the guy as reptilian? Because I was seeing insect.

Morbid Masterminds continue to be the clear champion as far as execution goes, design issues notwithstanding. I thought their small scare was beautiful work and I can see the argument to it following the theme but still think it was a bit of a stretch.

Share Post

Can someone please explain the logistics of the show to me?  The clock starts running and then they race to their kitchen areas to brainstorm and sketch what they are going to do. Is that what really happens or is that just how it's edited?  I'm asking because it seems like they already know what they are going to do before they get back to their kitchen.  I've also seen sugar artists already have molds (not the type that they make on the fly).  In addition to that, the drawings have to be more detailed than the ones we see them doing for the camera because they almost always get he scale correct.  So the pumpkin head is the right size for the cake body, etc. They also always have the right ingredients for the taste challenge.

14 hours ago, rlc said:

Tator needs to be off my tv forever. I blame Guy Fieri for making people think that they need to be 'personalities' on food shoes.

Yes, exactly!  He's still around, but at least Vivian with the voice of a 7 year old is gone.

Share Post

I don't know if it's ever been confirmed (that I've seen, anyway), but assume anything on this show is in the ballpark of 75% fiction and 25% actual events. No way do they not know the theme in advance and just HAPPEN to have the correct molds in the back. The sketches are surely just for the camera and I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if those bits are done without the clock running. Any time there's a Big Catastrophe, 99% chance it's re-enacted or downright faked.

I still like these shows but I still miss the old Food Network Challenges, with no contrived drama, no completely faked moments, just people (usually) making amazing cake creations. (They did have some mystery challenges on there, where they would interview a "client" and then design around it, and I believed those were actually designs created on the spot)

Share Post