Season 1: New Orleans Cooking With Kevin Belton

He seems like a really nice guy but his show really isn't something we've seen a million times before (Emeril, Paul Prudhomme, John Besh) and he really doesnt seem all the knowledgable about cooking.  Im sure he's a great home cook, but the way he explains things is not very in depth at all. He also seems to repeat himself a lot and I've noticed he will awkwardly pepper little history tidbits awkwardly into his presentation.  I get the feeling he did not know this information before hand and the producers have fed it to him and he'll parrot it back to the viewers

Share Post

On 10/5/2017 at 10:41 PM, Joan van Snark said:

He seems like a really nice guy but his show really isn't something we've seen a million times before (Emeril, Paul Prudhomme, John Besh) and he really doesnt seem all the knowledgable about cooking.  Im sure he's a great home cook, but the way he explains things is not very in depth at all. He also seems to repeat himself a lot and I've noticed he will awkwardly pepper little history tidbits awkwardly into his presentation.  I get the feeling he did not know this information before hand and the producers have fed it to him and he'll parrot it back to the viewers

He’s been a cooking instructor for 30 years, I would trust that he knows how to explain something to a general audience. This isn’t America’s Test Kitchen where they go into the scientific structure of a pancake. He’s teaching the viewer, who may not know a lot about Cajun cooking or its history, what has been near and dear to his heart his entire life. Would you rather have a lot of cooking and a few sprinkles of history or a lot of history and not a lot of cooking? Given my interest in wanting to learn more about Cajun cooking I’ll take a lot of cooking. Also all these posts are in the wrong thread so I’m going to report them to have them moved to the proper one.

Edited by Skyfall.

Share Post

I generally like him, but I do have two pet peeves.  One is generally how repetitive he is (as someone said above), and secondly and more specifically, how he keeps saying that searing "locks in the juices" when other cooking shows like America's Test Kitchen have reported for years that it's a myth.   But, like a lot of teachers, I guess he's a dinosaur and is stuck on what he first learned. 

Share Post

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:51 AM, Wilbur Whateley said:

I generally like him, but I do have two pet peeves.  One is generally how repetitive he is (as someone said above), and secondly and more specifically, how he keeps saying that searing "locks in the juices" when other cooking shows like America's Test Kitchen have reported for years that it's a myth.   But, like a lot of teachers, I guess he's a dinosaur and is stuck on what he first learned. 

I hear a lot of cooks on cooking shows still saying "locks in the juices" so its not just him. I wonder why there seems to be two camps here.

Share Post

4 hours ago, Skyfall said:

I hear a lot of cooks on cooking shows still saying "locks in the juices" so its not just him. I wonder why there seems to be two camps here.

My guess is they just still believe in it, no matter what the science says - the way lots of doctors & nurses still believe they get more patients in the emergency room on nights with full moons even though admission statistics don't bear that out, or the way a lot of athletes believe in their lucky shirt or underwear, no matter the actual scores.  Experts can be as irrational as anybody.  (Not trying to start an argument with anybody  who believes that any of those are actually so.  Please don't take offense!)

Anyway, as I said, it's just a pet peeve -  you have to sear anyway for the crust/flavor/texture you want, so the explanation he uses makes no difference to Belton's cooking.

Share Post