Hallelujah: Kevin (Probably) in the Media

Much as I like Jason Ritter, I didn't find the promos at all appealing and was prepared to pass. Then I saw this review comparing Kevin... to Joan of Arcadia and Eli Stone. So, I'm in, at least for now. 

NYTimes review

Share Post

I didn't know anything about this show until I saw the Times review linked above. I still have a lot of goodwill for the cast of Joan of Arcadia, and I like Ritter a lot. Still miss The Class, too. I checked it out on the strength of the review.

Share Post

On 05/01/2018 at 0:27 PM, Caseysgirl said:

Have we heard whether this will be renewed or not?

Not yet. They may be waiting until the season's over to decide. The fact that we haven't heard anything yet is actually hopeful. 

Anyway, last night's ratings were fairly steady. A slight drop, but nothing too alarming. The demo held steady. Actually the ratings have been fairly steady since the fourth episode. 

Share Post

6 hours ago, Anela said:

This is #1, #2, and #5:

* Thank advertisers. Companies need to know they can make money by supporting this show. Instead of fast forwarding, take note of the advertisers airing commercials during the show and thank them for supporting ‘Kevin Probably.’

Tweet to the sponsors with a butterfly.  The money is more important than the number of fans.

Share Post

Also, watch On Demand and on Hulu (even just in the background).  The +3 and +7 numbers aren't as important as the Nielsons, but they're the best way a non-Nielsen family can help.

Share Post

What are we to make of the fact that ABC showed a rerun of Match Game instead of Kevin last night? That can't be good.

Share Post

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

What are we to make of the fact that ABC showed a rerun of Match Game instead of Kevin last night? That can't be good.

February is a sweeps month. It's doesn't necessarily match the calendar, so the sixth may not be. And January 30 is State of the Union. So I'd say ABC at least thinks they can get more with a new Kevin than Match Game repeat. 

That said, I'm not optimistic. 

Share Post

And here was I worrying about missing an episode because I didn't have cable last night! Phew.

Share Post

So, here's a post-season interview with the showrunners and what could happen in season 2 if it's renewed (likely some spoilers in the article itself, especially in terms of the finale, so proceed with caution).

I won't talk anything too specific, but what I don't like about this interview is how they basically chose to end the season the way that they did without even knowing if they were getting renewed or not. They basically agree that renewal is so uncertain, yet they still chose to end the season without closing all the stories to satisfy its audience (however small the audience may be). 

No, Michele Fazekas, you shouldn't operate under the assumption that your show will be renewed for a season two. This is why fans get pissed off when a show's cancelled on a cliffhanger or without some sort of closure to the story. 

Share Post

Also, good news about the season finale ratings: the last two episodes raised significantly. The penultimate episode got 2.1 million viewers from 1.5 million (though that was due to the Olympics), and the finale ticked up to 2.59 million viewers and 0.7 in the demo. That's the best ratings since episode 10.

Not that it guarantees any sort of renewal, but the ratings ticking up gives a little more hope for a second season. 

Share Post

I was just going to post that interview - almost posted it in the episode thread. I like that "our franchise is kindness". I've seen the actress who plays Amy, post that she was glad that their show promoted kindness, last October. 

I really like these people. Please renew, ABC. 

Share Post

I checked out half way through the season. I kind of got tired of it.  Still, with all of the over the air channels and cable channels available, surely there ought to be room for a series such as this.

Share Post

I'm sad -- Jason Ritter's character was fun and good-natured but they really didn't have any clear idea of a plot.

Share Post

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:29 PM, morakot said:

I'm sad -- Jason Ritter's character was fun and good-natured but they really didn't have any clear idea of a plot.

Trying to drag out the 36 Righteous plot wasn't a good idea.

Share Post

I'm so sad. :( It was a favourite of mine, and got me through a difficult winter. Really difficult. Damn it. 

Share Post

This is one of the 3 shows on non-CW network TV shows I was watching. I guess I'm not ABC's demographic for one-note sitcoms and medical dramas.

Share Post

I've just seen that CBS has a new show premiering called God Friended Me, about an atheist who is supposedly friended by God on facebook, follows signs, meets a woman (who helps him). They follow signs to help people. 

Share Post

On 9/23/2018 at 5:36 PM, Anela said:

I've just seen that CBS has a new show premiering called God Friended Me, about an atheist who is supposedly friended by God on facebook, follows signs, meets a woman (who helps him). They follow signs to help people. 

That's a [Judeo]-Christian show, I think, whereas Kevin took great pains not to endorse or disparage any religion.

Share Post

On 9/27/2018 at 1:57 AM, jhlipton said:

That's a [Judeo]-Christian show, I think, whereas Kevin took great pains not to endorse or disparage any religion.

I know. I haven't watched this one. I just couldn't believe that more shows are appearing, and Kevin got cancelled. 

Share Post