S07.E00&E01: Road to Halloween Wars/Hitchhiker's Worst Nightmare

The crew hits the road searching for eighteen of the greatest pumpkin carvers, cake artists, and sugar artists, while six ovens and seven tons of pumpkins await the potential competitors.

Six teams compete. Featured: what happens when hitchhikers find themselves driving towards disaster after accepting a ride from a terrifying stranger.

Share Post

Bria, is it? The sugar artist on the team that was in the bottom two already has three strikes against her in my book. And baseball says three strikes and you're out.

Strike One: Yes, they've had contestants from previous years come back but I don't know that it's entirely fair that she is allowed to come back with a different team when she won the show and the money with her last team.

Strike Two: Some consideration and empathy for her teammate that cut himself and had to get stitches would be nice instead of bitching about how screwed they were now, considering the judges singled out his pumpkin motorcycle as the best part of the piece and reason they were staying.

Strike Three: I'm going to need her to be eliminated sooner rather than later if she keeps talking to the judges in limericks.

Share Post

Yes I think she said something  on the line of " He decided  to cut himself  and now we may lose" ? That may not be the exact  words but close . That is the first  time I have rooted for a team to lose.

Share Post

The returning contestant who thinks she's Mother Goose (spoiler alert:  sh's not) needs to STFU.   It was "her" pumpkin carver and "her" cake artist.  Just because you're doing the talking heads doesn't mean you're the queen and the others are there to do your bidding.  It's called a team.  Look it up.

Tater can go anytime too.  I thought that "the pumpkins talk to me" was just a schtick to get on the show, but after that incident with the other teams picking pumpkins I think he legit believes that shit.  

I thought the lumberjack truck should have went home but it wasn't even in the bottom two.  The truck wasn't the best display ever, but it wasn't bad and had some creative thought behind it.  I would rather see what else that team could have pulled out than Team boxy truck and stick figure lumberjack.

Share Post

This is my first time watching.  Is the cake provided by production?   And is there anything else they are given?  

Share Post

The eliminated team had a concept that was too out there, sadly.  Points for that big piece of sugar that was amazingly clear.  However, points deducted for spelling cannibal "cannible" .  Tator the pumpkin whisperer can go any time, thanks.  Pushing the other guy out of the way because the pumpkin spoke to him was beyond rude.  It actually made me hope their piece wouldn't win, although I wanted to reach through the screen to get their tasting element.

Share Post

However, points deducted for spelling cannibal "cannible" .  Tator the pumpkin whisperer can go any time, thanks.

Totally agree.  I kept waiting for a judge to point out the spelling error and was surprised no one said anything.  I thought Tator was a bit strange when I watched the intro show but now I think he's a lot strange and not very likable.

I like the guy who cut himself but the women on his team are awful.  They were both very self-centered and acted like he'd hurt himself on purpose plus the one who did all the THs looks and sounds like she's bored to death.

I felt sad while watching the shots of old shows and seeing Vinny Garcia knowing that he died not too long after his team won Halloween Wars.  I always liked him.

Share Post

mlp, I didn't know about Vinny.  He and his wife, Michelle, were mainstays of these FN cake decorating shows.  Sad :(

Edited by Rammchick.

Share Post

I can't stand Tator and I want him to be gone soon - also his work isn't good. But the sad part is the other two members of his team are really talented. I loved the Mary figure. Sigh.

Also Brie? Bria? I couldn't stand her on Season 4 and they brought her whiny ass back again. I wish she and Tator were on the same team so I could boo them at once. The other members of their teams are so much better.

If Halloween Wars pulls another Underbakers drama thing again this year, I'm SOOO out. That was terrible and good teams went home for the sake of reality show b.s.

Share Post

mlp, I didn't know about Vinny.  He and his wife, Michelle, were mainstays of these FN cake decorating shows.  Sad :(

It was two or three years ago now.  He was diagnosed with some kind of leukemia and died just a month later.  I've wondered what became of Michelle because she was so dependent on him.  Very sad.

Share Post

Michelle has serious issues. I didn't keep up on the drama, but she had a few GoFundMe's, moved a boyfriend in about thirty days after Vinny died, posted throughout Facebook that the new boyfriend was finally disciplining her kids because Vinny didn't, got arrested for purchasing a gun legally for her boyfriend who couldn't do it himself because he was a felon, pissed off the people who donated to the GoFundMe accounts wanting to know if the money they sent her went to the gun purchase, either admitted or joked about being a skinhead, which didn't make a lot of sense at the time because of her children, and after an arrest, possibly as the result of opiate abuse, claimed the cops beat her for several hours and the only other white woman in the jail laid over her to protect her from the abuse. She also claimed the cops stabbed her tires, which is why I'm thinking she was arrested for DUI and drove over something. There were also civil suits for her ripping off investors, along with those for selling cakes but not baking them or refunding the money. Many of the claims of fraud existed when Vinny was still alive, but her criminal actions didn't appear to take place until after his death. She was in need of some serious intervention for a while back then, and I hope she received it.

None of these teams have really drawn me in. The episode Hayride of Horror aired October 2, and still haven't been drawn in. I like a lot of the final products, it's not like I could do any of it, I just don't care much for the people, and I'm afraid they have decided to cast for personalities as opposed to skill, like everything else Food Network has screwed up lately. 

Share Post

Hayride of Horror is a separate Halloween Wars series.   HoH features two larger teams competing against each other.   I was confused when I first tuned in, but here's the scoop:

Halloween chills and thrills continue as new series Halloween Wars: Hayride of Horror takes the competition out of the kitchen and into the pumpkin patch. When night begins to fall and the pumpkin patch closes for the day, two teams of master food artists - working in cake, sugar, and a whole lot of carved pumpkin - face off to create terrifying Halloween displays through three episodes, with one team taking home $15,000 each episode. But to win the cash prize, the winning team’s displays of horror must win the votes (and screams) of a wagon full of hayriders and judges Zac Young and Bianca Appice. Hosted by Harley Morenstein, Halloween Wars: Hayride of Horror premieres Monday, October 2nd at 10pm ET/PT on Food Network.

Share Post

@Drogo, it does appear that there are two Halloween Wars shows on FN as the above poster points out. One is the usual show which airs on Sundays and the episode titles are here:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/halloween-wars/episodes/700

Confusingly, there is another set of shows called Halloween Wars on FN which is only three parts and has only two teams. It is called Hayride of Horror and is set outside, which is kind of cool. It has a lot of familiar faces from past teams including Froggy. This HofH airs on Monday nights. So perhaps the season  7 titles should be corrected on the HW main page. I don't know if you want to create another set of titles for HofH. 

Edited by Spunkygal.

Share Post

Too creative?  Seriously?  Did she even SEE what the other teams did?

I disagree with the winning team because the car was incredibly out of proportion to the figure and I can't believe no one brought it up.

I just really need Vivian to stop talking.  I know that's mean and she seems like a lovely person but no.

Also the returning brown-haired lady can STFU too.  Sorry he ruined your night by NEEDING STITCHES IN HIS CARVING HAND.

Share Post

Thanks for the update, Christina.  I knew Michelle had a sordid background but I didn't know any of that.

Share Post

I thought it was unfortunate that Losing Team's design fell short, because I thought their work was the cleanest of the group.

Morbid Masterminds remain the clear winners in my mind. Their small scare was the best by miles. 

The pumpkin whisperer's team, I think won the larger one because the judges really liked the story behind it, more than necessarily superiority of design or execution. I thought they did well in creativity, with materials and so on, but I didn't really think it was the best.

I know someone from college who worked for Bleeding Heart Bakery (Vinny & Michelle's cake place) for awhile, and I always wanted to ask said acquaintance if she knew anything more than the internet chatter about what went down there, but I ended up not because we're really only facebook friends and if it was as ugly as it sounded from the internet chatter, it was possibly a painful subject for her and she would have been in the right to tell me to MYOB. (MMOB?)

Share Post

16 hours ago, Josette said:

Hayride of Horror is a separate Halloween Wars series.   HoH features two larger teams competing against each other.   I was confused when I first tuned in, but here's the scoop:

I didn't even realize they were different people, that's how little these people mean to me. I should have realized that the extremely annoying, "He decided to cut himself" woman wasn't there, but I didn't. Once I saw that there was an episode of Hayride to Hell on this series, so I thought it was that show and they broke these teams into two groups for that display.

Share Post

On 10/2/2017 at 1:20 PM, mlp said:

Totally agree.  I kept waiting for a judge to point out the spelling error and was surprised no one said anything.  I thought Tator was a bit strange when I watched the intro show but now I think he's a lot strange and not very likable.

I like the guy who cut himself but the women on his team are awful.  They were both very self-centered and acted like he'd hurt himself on purpose plus the one who did all the THs looks and sounds like she's bored to death.

I felt sad while watching the shots of old shows and seeing Vinny Garcia knowing that he died not too long after his team won Halloween Wars.  I always liked him.

Or stoned.  Pot brownie anyone?

Share Post

On 10/1/2017 at 10:16 PM, LexieLily said:

Bria, is it? The sugar artist on the team that was in the bottom two already has three strikes against her in my book. And baseball says three strikes and you're out.

Strike One: Yes, they've had contestants from previous years come back but I don't know that it's entirely fair that she is allowed to come back with a different team when she won the show and the money with her last team.

Strike Two: Some consideration and empathy for her teammate that cut himself and had to get stitches would be nice instead of bitching about how screwed they were now, considering the judges singled out his pumpkin motorcycle as the best part of the piece and reason they were staying.

Strike Three: I'm going to need her to be eliminated sooner rather than later if she keeps talking to the judges in limericks.

Here. I'll add strike #4. The awful vocal fry. Between her and the other TH women from the group that almost went home, I found myself stabbing at the mute button.

I'm happy for the winning team. I am rooting for them to go all the way because the cake artist is from my home city.

Share Post

On 10/4/2017 at 0:36 AM, Christina said:

I didn't even realize they were different people, that's how little these people mean to me. I should have realized that the extremely annoying, "He decided to cut himself" woman wasn't there, but I didn't. Once I saw that there was an episode of Hayride to Hell on this series, so I thought it was that show and they broke these teams into two groups for that display.

Replying to myself for a moment because I figured out what happened and why I didn't realize they were different people. This weekend, there were a bunch of shows from previous seasons, and I recognized a few of them from the Hayride of Horror show. Before this season aired, I streamed several past episodes, had them playing in the background not paying a lot of attention, and when some of the episodes were played this weekend, I remembered watching the older episodes. The earlier seasons had much better work than this season, and less annoying people. Those people are on the Monday night show this year.

Share Post

Yes, such great teams in the past! Bling Bats, Morbid Mayhem, Dead Men Walking to name a few. I watched the HW recap from past seasons and there really was some amazing, truly impressive work. 

Share Post