Heathers in the Media

TCA panel on Heathers;

It was the pretty teenage girls who ruled the roost and called the shots at Westerburg High in Michael Lehmann’s 1988 cult feature film, but in Paramount Network’s new series from Jason Micallef, it’s intentionally turned on its head.

Talking about the series theme, Brendan Scannell who plays Heath Duke, a gay Heather, said “The idea is that power corrupts and that everyone is at their core an asshole and concerned for themselves. In the movie three beautiful women where wrecking havoc on the school; that was new and hadn’t been done before. Our modern retelling centers around marginalized communities — a plus-size, a Black girl and a queer — trashing everyone around them.”

Share Post

Oh, NOW the show is suddenly in poor taste? I'm guessing that means there was some gun violence in a future episode. They should be more concerned with what a shitty job they did in remaking an awesome movie into a pretty bad tv show.

Share Post

On 3/1/2018 at 9:09 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Oh, NOW the show is suddenly in poor taste? I'm guessing that means there was some gun violence in a future episode. They should be more concerned with what a shitty job they did in remaking an awesome movie into a pretty bad tv show.

Does Daniel Walters still own the rights? How the hell did this happen? It sounds like it was forced by Paramount.

It does remind me what everyone had been saying- Heathers just isn't gong to work in a post-Columbine society. The fact that we just had a fresh new Columbine tragedy underscores that.They would have been better off doing a Mean Girls adaption.

Share Post

12 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

They would have been better off doing a Mean Girls adaption.

I don't think that will be a possibility until after Mean Girls closes on Broadway.

Share Post

1 hour ago, JasmineFlower said:

Paramount has cancelled the show entirely after a few delays. Read more below at your preferred site.

'Heathers' Scrapped at Paramount Network, Will be Shopped Elsewhere (Exclusive) - Hollywood Reporter

Heathers Reboot Scrapped Entirely at Paramount Network - TV Link

I had a feeling that was going to happen. I'm a fan of the movie and was willing to give the show a chance.  

Based on the trailer it seems this was a show better binge watch then weekly. 

It will either go to streaming or never seen the light of day.

Share Post

I was initially looking forward to it, but everything I read about it (for example, this Autostraddle review) said it was just awful. At this point I won't bother checking it out even if someone else picks it up.

Share Post

Caitlin Fitzgerald, Ella Purnell, Jasmine Mathews (Heather McNamera), Eden Epstein, Paul Sparks, Tom Sturridge, Daniyar, and Evan Jonigkeit discuss Sweetbitter:

Share Post

Not surprising that they scrapped the series.  If this was a show that Paramount really believed in, they wouldn't have delayed it for months.  I wonder if this will be quietly dumped either online or on streaming service.

It's too bad, I think Heathers may have had something to say.  But making kids who are still outcasts in a lot of schools in real life the alpha bullies left a bad taste in my mouth.  The so-called traditionally popular kids could have easily been faux woke, but that probably wasn't edgy enough.

Share Post