Season 3 discussion

Season 3 / and this family still seems to not let it go to their heads. Both parents have daily jobs. All the kids seem normal. 

Share Post

I was pleasantly surprised to see that there was a new season and its right after the Little Couple.  These two shows are the only shows that I watch on TLC, so I'm glad they're back to back.

They are definitely a more down to earth family.  The teenagers act like teenagers.  Alex is bratty, but that's because Amber spoils him.

Elizabeth and Emma seem to be the most behaved of the kids.  Amber has definitely stepped up her wardrobe, hair and make up game now that she's working.

Share Post

I really enjoy this family. They are still normal after 2-3 yr on TLC! Trent is very funny.  The kids are not perfect and the parents call them on it, refreshing.  Trent and Amber really do have a very loving and compassionate family. Not easy to do with 5 kids in 2017.  

Share Post

So cute that Elizabeth has a boyfriend yet not quite a boyfriend. 

Are we allowed to discuss previews in here or would that be spoilers?

Share Post

Tonight Alex basically shit all over Anna's billboard idea, and everyone praised him.. Ugh. 

It reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode where everyone had to be super nice to the little boy, and have good thoughts, or he'd wish them into the cornfield. He even turned 1 man into a jack-in-the-box. That's Alex all the way!

I watched an episode over the weekend where Liz told Anna not to baby Alex (he was literally crying about having to ride in his dad's truck instead of his moms Expedition).  And amber WENT OFF on Liz.  Ugh.

I feel bad for the other 4 kids who have to appease him and treat him with kid gloves. 

Share Post

correct me if I'm wrong but did Trent assist Liz in getting up the ramp when the bet was she could do it all by herself & win the $5 bet with Anna? Totally wrong on his part if he did, & if it was just for the show then wrong on their part, Anna should have won the bet.

Share Post

He helped her onto the ramp then walked behind her with a small space between him and chair in case she lost her grip and rolled backwards.

Share Post

Pet peeve:  If Amber is going to be in real estate, she needs to learn how to pronounce her profession.  It's "real-tor" not "real-a-tor."

Share Post

17 hours ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

correct me if I'm wrong but did Trent assist Liz in getting up the ramp when the bet was she could do it all by herself & win the $5 bet with Anna? Totally wrong on his part if he did, & if it was just for the show then wrong on their part, Anna should have won the bet.

He kind of held her in place so she didn't roll backwards or tip.  I don't think she could have held herself in place and moved forward on her own.

Share Post

Still loving this family.  The yoga, the bikes. I love how they just adapt items as they need to. Loved how Liz’s male friend was so helpful to Amber. Little disappointed at how harsh they were with Jonah about the tattoos.  He had good points.  I hope Jonah sticks to his dislike for tattoos/ just my personal bias showing. 

Alex is still immature. At least tonight, he was upset with him self rather than angry towards others. 

Share Post

Amber telling Jonah to take his nasty self to bed was ugly. Just because he rightly thought they shouldn't be getting tattoos. To me, this is how I always see her though...anger just simmering below the surface, and kids who behave because they are a bit afraid of her if they don't. She seems to think she knows the answers to everything.

Since Elizabeth has had 20 something leg surgeries, it would seem that Amber would be more conscious of her weight? I would think the extra weight she carries would just make her leg issues even worse? And Alex is so over weight it is ridiculous..he looks like he can barely bend in the middle, and his face and head are just enormous now. Riding bikes occasionally is not going to do it...they need a change in diet sooner rather than later.

Share Post

I was rather uncomfortable with the way Amber spoke to Jonah...and thought she was rather harsh with Anna when she was trying do her makeup and hair.  

Some kids do not pick up the bike easily...my daughter had difficulty until she hit 8th grade.  It happens.

Share Post

I've always got the impression that she has her picks, Anna & Jonah are not it. When she & Anna were doing the talking heads I think the first episode, no love lost there, Anna look liked she could spit nails :/ Alex on the other hand needs to get out from under momma's skirt tail and grow up.

Share Post

I have a nephew in 7th grade and I think he still can't ride a bike..... but I blame all the electronic vehicles he had when he was younger. 

Share Post

10 hours ago, gunderda said:

I have a nephew in 7th grade and I think he still can't ride a bike..... but I blame all the electronic vehicles he had when he was younger. 

It really bothers me to watch obese children driving around in their cars, drink and snacks in hand.  When I was that age you couldn't get me to sit still, and I loved my big wheel, etc.

Share Post

Brussels sprouts are delicious if you know how to cook them.  Roasted in the oven with salt, pepper and olive oil is simple and yummy.  My hubby adds a bit of maple syrup sometimes for sweetness.  Amber boiling them was setting them up for failure.  

They definitely need to try and eat healthier.  Alex and Elizabeth definitely need to lose some weight.    The other 3 kids seem very proportionate for their body frames.

Share Post

19 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

It really bothers me to watch obese children driving around in their cars, drink and snacks in hand.  When I was that age you couldn't get me to sit still, and I loved my big wheel, etc.

Thankfully my nephew is still a skinny bean pole! He's pretty active but I guess his sense of balance must be terrible lol 

Share Post

She still looks large to me. The first season, these people could not even afford furniture for their house. Now they are going to buy that huge house on the lake? Surely TLC isn't paying them that much? And neither of their regular jobs pays that much either I wouldn't think?

Share Post

I really like this show and the family, but man, was that a whole lotta drama about the move announcement. Yeesh, I thought they were going to announce someone was deathly ill.

Share Post

I feel like Anna really gets trashed on by her family. Trent and Amber say that they treat her equally and fairly, but they don't. They put her down a lot. 

Share Post

It’s as if there  is some backstory with Anna. Trust issues, they’ve mentioned in previous episodes and in this one.  As if she lies to them about who she’s with and where she’s at?  Plus it did take her 4 tries to pass her written permit test. 

Anna has to learn- you do not drive without your license in hand. In my state, you get a ticket for that. Same with no valid insurance card. Anna has no job- so who will have to front the money for those tickets?  Her parents.  I’ve watched up to the tornado drill and I haven’t seen anything wrong with their discipline of Anna in this episode. In others, yes. 

Edited by mythoughtis.

Share Post

I'm watching the latest episode now. Did anyone else hear Anna say "I'm not your babe" after her dad called her that?  I heard a lot of anger in her words. I do think there's a lot more to which we're not privy. 

From last week's episode, Alex's blank face and dead eyes during the simulation skydiving (??) gave me life!  That kid drives me nuts, but he was priceless in that scene!

Share Post

6 hours ago, CouchTater said:

I'm watching the latest episode now. Did anyone else hear Anna say "I'm not your babe" after her dad called her that?  I heard a lot of anger in her words. I do think there's a lot more to which we're not privy. 

I do not watch this show regularly, but there is definitely something we're not being told about Anna. There is total lack of trust on the parents end and a lot of hostility on Anna's end. They really need to resolve this. 

Edited by alegtostandon.

Share Post

My issue is that if you have concerns about the whereabouts of your child BEFORE they get their full driver's license (as opposed to a permit), why rush and get them driving lessons and take them to the DMV, just because they are 16? They need to earn that responsibility.

The house/moving drama: I wouldn't have shown the kids the "proposed" new house until I was at least close to the closing table. You just shown them paradise ( a house that is a definite move-up) but as we all know, a lot has to happen to make that a final deal and get the keys. And I surely wouldn't promise that  their school wouldn't change - I find it a little hard to believe that house is in the same school district given the drive there - and the cost/appearance of surrounding homes. Given that 3 of the kids are already in HS, I guess I wouldn't be hard pressed for them to have their own rooms - it may be too late for that rooming plan.

Edited by sATL.

Share Post

On 10/18/2017 at 8:15 AM, winsomeone said:

She still looks large to me. The first season, these people could not even afford furniture for their house. Now they are going to buy that huge house on the lake? Surely TLC isn't paying them that much? And neither of their regular jobs pays that much either I wouldn't think?

They're on the 3rd season I think?? Plus Trent has a full time job and amber now has the realtor gig so I think they can easily afford that house.  Probably more than they let on in the episode. Super nice house though - I'm assuming they did get it since they showed it. I'm happy for them.

Made me sad that Alex thought their announcement was that they were divorcing since he thought they were arguing a little more than usual. 

Anna has always been the 'problem child'.  A season or two ago she did some vandalism with friends at the school and got in trouble for it.  And sounds like she lies a lot.  I think it may come off that they're being hard on her but I bet we aren't privy to most of what goes on with her and why they lack trust in her.  I wouldn't be surprised if they're worried about her trying to act more mature than she is.  She's a pretty girl and I bet she tests those boundaries. 

The driving test time line was kinda wonky though.  I'm assuming she took drivers ed before having that one-on-one teacher and THEN going to get her driver's license. 

8 minutes ago, sATL said:

My issue is that if you have concerns about the whereabouts of your child BEFORE they get their full driver's license (as opposed to a permit), why rush and get them driving lessons and take them to the DMV, just because they are 16? They need to earn that responsibility.

all parents i knew/know including mine couldn't wait for their kids to get their license so they wouldn't have to drive us everywhere anymore lol 

But then my parents had to force me to drive on my learners permit.  I was too scared.  I wouldn't even drive go-karts when I was little!

Edited by gunderda.

Share Post

6 minutes ago, gunderda said:

They're on the 3rd season I think?? Plus Trent has a full time job and amber now has the realtor gig so I think they can easily afford that house.  Probably more than they let on in the episode. Super nice house though - I'm assuming they did get it since they showed it. I'm happy for them.

Made me sad that Alex thought their announcement was that they were divorcing since he thought they were arguing a little more than usual. 

Anna has always been the 'problem child'.  A season or two ago she did some vandalism with friends at the school and got in trouble for it.  And sounds like she lies a lot.  I think it may come off that they're being hard on her but I bet we aren't privy to most of what goes on with her and why they lack trust in her.  I wouldn't be surprised if they're worried about her trying to act more mature than she is.  She's a pretty girl and I bet she tests those boundaries. 

The driving test time line was kinda wonky though.  I'm assuming she took drivers ed before having that one-on-one teacher and THEN going to get her driver's license. 

all parents i knew/know including mine couldn't wait for their kids to get their license so they wouldn't have to drive us everywhere anymore lol 

But then my parents had to force me to drive on my learners permit.  I was too scared.  I wouldn't even drive go-karts when I was little!

True for most kiddos. but if there is already a concern about where they are going to be, or  where they have been, when they were not supposed to be, why buy trouble?. And by the mom's speech, I suspect Anna's maturity is not quite up to  most 16 yr olds - which is a long back story that we don't know about. No harm in getting your license at 17,18, 21.

Edited by sATL.

Share Post

I think Anna had drivers ed (classroom) before she took her written test. She probably then had to get x hours of logged driving time before she could take the driving test. Different states do different things. In Illinois, you take your written test in drivers ed and get your permit. Then you get 50 hours of logged driving time with an adult, 10 of which is at night, over 9 months. Your high school only does 6 of the 50 with you- parents do the rest. Then you go do your driving test. 

Some states require an appointment for that. In Illinois you just show up early enough that you can get the driving part done before too close to closing. 

As to the house- the college kids will be home weekends and breaks, and possibly after graduation. Plus with a large brood- you need more guest rooms for family gathering later. 

Share Post

The way they presented moving to the kids was ridiculous.  They sounded like somebody died.  If they had been upbeat and excited about it, the kids would have had a better reaction.

Share Post

23 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I think Anna had drivers ed (classroom) before she took her written test. She probably then had to get x hours of logged driving time before she could take the driving test. Different states do different things. In Illinois, you take your written test in drivers ed and get your permit. Then you get 50 hours of logged driving time with an adult, 10 of which is at night, over 9 months. Your high school only does 6 of the 50 with you- parents do the rest. Then you go do your driving test. 

Some states require an appointment for that. In Illinois you just show up early enough that you can get the driving part done before too close to closing. 

As to the house- the college kids will be home weekends and breaks, and possibly after graduation. Plus with a large brood- you need more guest rooms for family gathering later. 

I got my license in GA around 10 years ago. I remember to get your permit you took a written test at the DMV. If you wanted to get your license at 16, you had to take a driver's ed course. I got my license at 17 but took the course anyway to help with insurance. I was even able to take my driving exam thru the company. I think the logged hours were the same. 

Share Post

The ‘m’ word. The teens saying that should have known better. As Trent said.... there’s certain words those teens ( and their Mom) wouldn’t have liked hearing.  They shouldn’t have had to be educated. 

They got multiple offers after 1 open house? 

Edited by mythoughtis.

Share Post

34 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

They got multiple offers after 1 open house? 

I thought maybe they way underpriced it..thinking they were going to get the new house.

Share Post

I'm not a long time viewer, but, I must say that I have really been impressed with this family.  Yes, there are issues, but, I really like them.  The other night, when they had the tornado drills, I LOL several times.  I know that's a serious subject, but, for some reason those scenes just cracked me up.  I really do like them.  It's too bad that the lake house deal fell though.  I suspect they will get that house....later on.  Just a hunch.  

I respected that they insisted on Alex trying the water fall ride.  It's true that you have to try things, to know that you if you like them.  I recall getting on a monster, super duper roller coaster ONCE. (On my own accord.)  That was it.  I discovered that I don't like roller coasters.  lol   Any other ride, but, NOT roller coasters.  

Share Post

I was questioning the decision to get the kids all fired up about the lake house, then disappoint them. Probably producer driven and later on they miraculously come to an agreement with the seller. It would be nice for all the children to have their own room, and privacy.

Share Post

25 minutes ago, SMama said:

I was questioning the decision to get the kids all fired up about the lake house, then disappoint them. Probably producer driven and later on they miraculously come to an agreement with the seller. It would be nice for all the children to have their own room, and privacy.

I am unsure if they got that house (why otherwise would the home owner allow them to film on his property)  If they didn't get that property, I suspect they already have a house located or even built and were just in the final stages of closing a contract.  I tend to find it hard to believe that they would move into a hotel unless it was for a rather short time, otherwise they would have found a short term apartment rental.

Share Post

Trent handled the mouthy kids at the ride park so well.  What a genuinely nice man and great father. I really do think his interaction with those kids about the M word sunk in, and his manner was just so kind and respectful without being demeaning and angry. I like this family a whole bunch. 

Share Post

12 hours ago, CalicoskiesNC said:

Trent handled the mouthy kids at the ride park so well.  What a genuinely nice man and great father. I really do think his interaction with those kids about the M word sunk in, and his manner was just so kind and respectful without being demeaning and angry. I like this family a whole bunch. 

I agree, he did such a great job of explaining why the M word was offensive, and his strategy of introducing himself was really effective. He was a great role model to his own children in that moment as well. Trent is a class act. 

Share Post

16 hours ago, CalicoskiesNC said:

I was pleasantly surprised at how he handled that.  I thought for sure he would get a little nasty with them and I probably would have cheered him on for that too but WOW, he's a great guy and handles things so well.   

I haven't seen anything on their instagram about a new house but i'll keep my eye out!  They'd have to be in something new by now.  I was willing to bet they got that house because they were allowed to show it on tv.  Same reason I knew Tyler and Cate from Teen Mom got a house they showed interested in on the house, because they didn't blur it out at all. However Amber being a realtor maybe had an agreement with the owner OR it was a set up house just for their storyline and they didn't show the actual house they tried to get. 

They did really great work on the remodel of the house so I'm not surprised it sold fast. 

Share Post

On 10/12/2017 at 8:43 PM, DkNNy79 said:

Brussels sprouts are delicious if you know how to cook them.  Roasted in the oven with salt, pepper and olive oil is simple and yummy.  My hubby adds a bit of maple syrup sometimes for sweetness.  Amber boiling them was setting them up for failure.  

They definitely need to try and eat healthier.  Alex and Elizabeth definitely need to lose some weight.    The other 3 kids seem very proportionate for their body frames.

Yes...that is the best way for Brussels Sprouts...roasted in the oven w/ garlic powder and olive oil, salt and pepper...till a little crispy..YUM

On 10/19/2017 at 3:36 AM, alegtostandon said:

I do not watch this show regularly, but there is definitely something we're not being told about Anna. There is total lack of trust on the parents end and a lot of hostility on Anna's end. They really need to resolve this. 

If I remember correctly, Anna has gotten in trouble at school...something to do with graffiti

Share Post

18 hours ago, Hero said:

How cute was Alex in those baby pictures?

So incredibly cute!

Share Post

On 10/27/2017 at 9:22 AM, EastCoast4Life said:

I agree, he did such a great job of explaining why the M word was offensive, and his strategy of introducing himself was really effective. He was a great role model to his own children in that moment as well. Trent is a class act. 

Oh yes.  I think both parents are good role models.  I feel that it's vital to teach kids how to think for themselves and how to effectively, speak up for yourself.  With too much reality tv we see how people just yell at someone to eff off, which accomplishes nothing. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe.

Share Post

I have not watched season three yet – just saw the previews.  They did not get rid of the dogs did they???  I am worried about that because in one of the previews they were all crying and Trend made a comment that you kids come first. If they get rid of the dogs, I’m gonna be very upset.  I love this family and I love the dogs, especially Jessie.

Share Post

They did not get rid of the dogs.  It wasn’t anything bad / they just initiated a discussion in a serious scary way about a topic that was really good news.  There, I think I didn’t spoil the surprise too much. 

Share Post

On 10/18/2017 at 11:05 AM, Hero said:

I feel like Anna really gets trashed on by her family. Trent and Amber say that they treat her equally and fairly, but they don't. They put her down a lot. 

For the most part, I like the way these two parent their children. However, I agree with you about Anna.  The thing that really got me is when Amber told Anna she could do her hair and make up for the photo shoot.   And, as you pointed out, all Amber did was make faces, criticize, and make disapproving sounds.   Since this was an important photograph, and since Anna is just a teenager and untrained, Amber should have just thanked her and explained that she needed to get someone to do it that was a professional but that Anna could do her hair and make up another time. And, then when Anna did it, either give constructive criticism or act like she liked it.

The way she handled it I thought was demeaning, embarrassing for her daughter because it was being filmed, and, certainly, would not instill confidence in her daughter.  It surprised me because she never treated any of the other children this way.  

I think that is very different than the way Trent was talking about to Anna about driving.  He has some very serious concerns about her maturity level and her bent her with pushing the boundaries.  I think that he did a good job explaining to her how he felt and what she needed to do to be trusted to drive once she got her license. And, I think he would have talked to any of the other children that way if they were displaying immature behavior around something that is as serious as driving.

Share Post

Does anyone know why there was only six episodes in season four instead of the usual eight?

Share Post

I think the film company was involved in a lawsuit with TLC?, which delayed  editing etc. same reason the Little Couple didn’t have as many episodes,,

Share Post