Waiting for The Haunting of Hill House: Anticipation

The spot to talk about anticipation for the upcoming The Haunting of Hill House.

Share Post

Can you post the network that will be broadcasting this show?  I'm too lazy to look it up.

Share Post

8 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Can you post the network that will be broadcasting this show?  I'm too lazy to look it up.

Netflix. This was the first I'd heard of it, but the cast includes Timothy Hutton, so I'm in.

Share Post

thanks, @coppersin.  In an unanticipated burst of energy I checked it out and saw Carla Gugino in the cast.  I really like her, so I'm in.

Share Post

Not sure if this needed to be a series of any kind. The first movie was awesome. The remake sucked something awful. Not expecting much from a series made in modern tits-and-ass-sell times. 

Share Post

Not at all excited about the cast, no one I particularly care for, but the concept sounds interesting. I might give it a try.

Share Post

I had no idea this was happening and am of two or more minds about it.

I love Shirley Jackson, and The Haunting of Hill House is, to my mind, a perfect novel. I love everything about it. The first movie was a terrific translation onto the screen (the second one was...look, clearly the cast made a pact with a crossroads demon and appearing in that whirlwind of dreck was their payment for success or whatever they bargained for.)

It's such a compact and tight story I don't see how a series is really the forum for it. To add to it is right up there with that "additional dialogue by" in the 1968 Romeo and Juliet. I suppose if it was a one and done it would be okay, but Netflix is always ordering second seasons of what are clearly one season stories, ruining them, and then cancelling. 

Share Post

I am assuming that they will go into the back story of Hill House more. That's the only way I see a series out of the material, which is not really using the material at all. It will be different stories based on the old man, the children, and his family. 

Share Post

That is what I read, that it's about the man who built the house and his family and what happened before Eleanor and the others showed up. Which is what I'm interested in seeing. I've read the book and seen both movies (well, two movies, not sure if there were more). I don't need a retelling of that story. Nothing would outdo the book anyway. So I'm looking forward to hearing a different part of the story. 

Share Post

Hill House is haunted by mediocre hacks who can't produce an original idea, so, like Stephen King (Red Rose), they try in vain to remake Hill House in their own image, thinking they can improve on Shirley Jackson.   Yet it is always Hill House that enjoys the last laugh, as one by one they crash and burn. 

Share Post

Oh, I thought this would be out soon. I didn't know that Netflix was making it. 

Share Post

On 8/28/2017 at 2:26 PM, Snookums said:

I love Shirley Jackson, and The Haunting of Hill House is, to my mind, a perfect novel. I love everything about it.

On 8/31/2017 at 3:45 PM, millennium said:

Hill House is haunted by mediocre hacks who can't produce an original idea, so, like Stephen King (Red Rose), they try in vain to remake Hill House in their own image, thinking they can improve on Shirley Jackson.   Yet it is always Hill House that enjoys the last laugh, as one by one they crash and burn. 

I love all things Shirley Jackson as well. The Haunting of Hill House is, to my mind, still the very best "haunted house" book ever written (and yes, I like Stephen King, and liked The Shining, but don't know if it could have existed in the same way or had the same impact without Hill House). The repeated attempts to revisit it in film--well, look, I get it, it's a creepy story and pretty well-known. But it's not easy to represent well, because it's about atmosphere, disturbance and the terror of uncertainty, not pop-up scares. It takes real skill to create that onscreen, and when done well, it's unforgettable. I don't yet trust this will be done well, but I do love some of the cast, and can't resist anything Shirley Jackson...so I will watch, at least until/unless it makes me run away crying and foot-stomping.

I would be even more impressed if someone was able to make a truly good adaptation of We Have Always Lived In The Castle. Like Turn of the Screw, that one is creepy on the highest level, with a story based on an unreliable narrator. I like it as much--and occasionally more--than Hill House. I've listened to the audio versions of both, which are extremely well-narrated.

Now, something that would make an excellent series from Jackson's work would be an adaptation of Life Among the Savages and its follow-up Raising Demons--funny, witty, and snarky rather than creepy, but such great material!

Share Post

Yes yes yes! I'd LOVE to see Life Among and Raising Demons adapted! Can you imagine watching "Charles?"

Share Post

5 hours ago, Snookums said:

Yes yes yes! I'd LOVE to see Life Among and Raising Demons adapted! Can you imagine watching "Charles?"

Ha! I have always wanted to see a reenactment of the musical beds/belongings (and subsequent--what was it, algebraic? whodunit?--problem no one could solve) when everybody had the "grippe"! But "Charles" might be one of the funniest things ever filmed, if they got the right people with the right comic timing, yes.

Share Post

18 hours ago, cuppasun said:

I would be even more impressed if someone was able to make a truly good adaptation of We Have Always Lived In The Castle. Like Turn of the Screw, that one is creepy on the highest level, with a story based on an unreliable narrator. I like it as much--and occasionally more--than Hill House. I've listened to the audio versions of both, which are extremely well-narrated.

Don't know when or if it'll be good, but according to IMDb we're getting We Have Always Lived In The Castle.

Edited by coppersin.

Share Post

On 9/4/2017 at 3:04 PM, cuppasun said:

and

On 9/5/2017 at 9:15 AM, coppersin said:

Don't know when or if it'll be good, but according to IMDb we're getting We Have Always Lived In The Castle.

Shriek!!! That was my favorite book as a creepy teen! Even over HofHH. The cast looks ok. I can hardly wait, but while we do, "Would you like a cup of tea?"

Share Post